Manchester Marathon 2017

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Coops-Great running esp to deal with the stitch.I must say the time I was running around you guys I don't think I've seen 2 people enjoying a marathon like you pair,could constantly hear bits of laughing and your running over to the kids made me laugh. Even had a windbreak for my knees for a bit (copyright nell)
  • :smiley:Nick... blame your parent for not being more inventive!!!

Well done Coops on your fantastic PB and GFA time - richly deserved!
  • LOL - Ian... I clearly type too slowly!!!

Yep - happy to be a windbreak for your knees - just sorry we weren't there to be a fall break for you later on!!!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think I may have caused some damage if I'd fell on top of you.... ;)
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    LOL - we're (Coops and I) probably both stronger than we look... ;)

Just read your race report in the Shades thread!

Well done catching the woman who fell in front of you - you might have saved her from a worse injury - but so sorry to hear how injured your legs and hip were. You did amazingly well to carry on after that. Onwards and upwards - hope you heal up quickly and can get back running soon :smile:
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - buggeration! Really sorry to hear that. You're a bloody trooper for finishing.
    That aside, fantastic results for all. Well done on the GFA, Nell!
    I set off much further ahead than I should have done so I didn't use the pacers at all. I was sub-10 minute miling for the first half but I just couldn't keep it up and my splits were getting progressively slower - 10:teens and 20s, then 10:40s and 50s and even on 11:08 at mile 23. But I still managed to squeak under 4:30 with a time of 4:29:29. I also achieved my other goal, was was not to walk.
    Stuff hurt, of course, but the sorest part were the balls of my feet. It wasn't until I made it through the finish and started walking that I really started to suffer, but fortunately my friend was there to pick me up and, even better, the back check was silky smooth this year.
    In all, a much better experience than 2016.
    I'm trying not to think about the fact I have to do it all gain in Liverpool...with hills and more wind.
  • Si CSi C ✭✭
    Guys sorry didnt meet up b4, running a bit late this morning.

Aimed to come in under 4.15 and saw the clock at 4.13, only to realise that was the clock time not my chip time, (doh new to marathons) only to realise that my time was sub 4 at 3.58.12 so happy boy. Last 3 miles though were so so hard seemed all up hill on tired legs.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Si! It's funny how those slight inclines seem like hills by the end of the race and stepping on something tiny can throw you right off.
  • Turned into an absolute shocker for me today. Was going well initially as I ran by feel. Went through halfway in 1:51 and was on course for 3:45 (or at least a PB of sub 3:54)! Then when I hit 16 miles I fell apart quite spectacularly. My legs just died completely and had nothing left in them. I hung on for a couple of miles, but then the lungs went and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Note to self - don't run a marathon with what is clearly a chest infection! I lost my head at this point and then for a bit of extra drama my ITB flared up. So, I walk-jogged the final 8 miles and it felt endless. I tried not to cry as there were so many cute kids cheering me on, but it was dire! Managed to run the final half mile and finished in 4:08:11. Marathon number 7 done - bring on number 8 because this is one I need to forget!
  • Si CSi C ✭✭
    Thanks Cal, well done on getting under the 30. Liverpool omg thats determination. Last thing on my mind at the mo is to think about another 1.

Rachey, well done 4.08 is more than respectable and just to have the strength of mind to keep going when you have nothing left proves youre a winner.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rachey, sounds like me last year (aside from the time - I ran 4:44:37 a year ago). I was alternating hobbling, jogging and swearing for the last 8. But you got it done and you're still faster than me when I run all the way!

Is anyone else sunburnt? The tops of my shoulders are red!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Good to meet some of the forum pre-race. Unexpectedly I had a PB 2.50.49. Been boozing all afternoon in the Manchester sunshine, in the back garden of a house at mile 8 on the course. Surprised but very pleased. Well done NickW2 I knew you'd do it. Post more tomorrow. Well done all though, we've all ran a marathon.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Well done especially to Little Nell, Si C and Daz on completing your first marathons...quite an achievement as they are not easy are they? But now you are fully fledged marathon runner. DPJ77 Wow fantastic time. First 100 or so?
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone, some great running. Managed 3:16 so really happy. Had a mare driving to car parks, 30 min journey took 1 hour 20 but got there in the end
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sub-3, Ouch! Well done you.
    Nice job too, vodkabob.

• DL34DL34 ✭✭
    Sorry to miss you this morning. I came by the town hall too late and think everyone had moved to the starting pens. Well done to you all. Some clearly had a tougher day than others. Ian in particular, sorry to hear about your fall. I'm glad i took the advice on this group. I ran the half at almost dead on 1.29 and got the sub 3 with a 2.58.52. i was hurting badly from miles 22 to 25 but managed to hold onto the pace. A faster first half would have finished me off.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ouch - great run from you that's a massive PB at your pace. The caffeine obviously did the trick!

Well done bob (I heard a friend also had trouble getting to the car park) and DL.

I've written a long report is on the 3:30-4 or Shades thread if you are interested, in short, set off at 3:15 pace, felt great till about 15 miles and was very consistent, still felt ok but working slightly harder 15-20, reassessed to 3:20 goal, then started getting cramps in various muscles in my legs and wheels fell off a bit, but just about held on to sub 3:25. Am really pleased as when I started training for it my target was sub 3:30 which I thought was very optimistic.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    DL - great job! Is that a GFA for you?

• DL34DL34 ✭✭
    Believe so Cal. I'm a male under 40 so think GFA for London is 3.05. i am running VLM in a few weeks but at a relaxed pace. Manchester was always going to be the goal race.
  • Wow what a range of stories and performances. One thing is for sure, everyone has some serious mental strength to overcome what was thrown at them yesterday!

Cal well done, but I dont envy you at all having another one so soon!
    DL super stuff, those splits sound scientific! Is that your first sub 3?
    Daz thats a quality marathon debut time well done!
    Ian5 well done on completing the distance after that fall. I hope there are no long term injuries from that.
    DPJ77 Awesome time mate. How do your legs feel after something like that?
    Coop Going well done on the PB
    NickW2 I have to admire you for sticking that one out, sounds like both mental and physical torture.
    Rachey, as Cal said, 4:08 is a great time for someone who was suffering like you were with chest infection, never mind the ITB!

My own race went largely to plan. I finished in 3:04:18. Done the first half to plan in 1:31:31, so I had the little bit of fat there to tease out in the second half which I expected to slow in.
    I found it all pretty ok until about 4 miles from the end when I needed those valuable seconds :smile:
    So I will be in London next spring all going well. I also think I may be able to get under the magic 3 hour mark one day if I can keep the training consistent! I have been quite lucky with injuries in last 2 years, listening to my body is the secret. Right now its saying, well done, you squeezed about as much out of it as there was there for the marathon, now lets eat, rest and jog slowly for a few weeks :smiley:

The weather was a big plus too, not too cold, not too hot and the non alcoholic beer at the end was nice to have in the sun! The support was excellent too, especially in the last 2 or 3 miles where you really need it! Huge improvements in the the baggage and finishing zone this year too. Lots more space and just seemed better organised.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Rachey - sorry missed your post before, well done for getting round. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, clearly as you said you were a bit under the weather. Just getting round any marathon is still a big achievement, no matter how long it takes you. You should be proud that you gave it your all.

Mr PO - well done, great race from you. Just hope they don't adjust the GFA times now! I found the beer horrible and donated it to one of my supporters, but think it might just be that anything would have tasted funny at that point.

Interesting looking at stats and things today (I do that...), I felt like I completely fell apart at the end and it seemed like hundreds of people came past me, but in actual fact I was only 40 places lower at the end compared to half way, although I had made up some places by 30k (1414th at half way, up to 1350th at 30k, 1454th at the end). Clearly a lot of other people found it tough going too!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nick-Don't forget a lot of those passing you may well have been relay runners so only going about 7 miles. 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian I think probably it just wasn't as many as I thought. Also there were a few walking so probably passed some myself. Can't imagine there were a lot of relay runners? Think they didn't start till 930 so looking at results would only have been 2 or 3 of them that finished before me.

• I would be very sickened if they altered the GFA time, but its not like I could have went much faster yesterday, so at least I know that is about the best I can go for now!
    I must say I quite regularly drink wheat beer (both alcoholic and non alcoholic) so I am quite familiar with the taste so that might have helped!
  • DPJ77DPJ77 ✭✭
    Nick, thanks for the idea about looking at the stats - it's reassuring to see position creeping up despite my pace dropping off in the final few miles!
  • Some good runs yesterday!

The coach at my running club reckoned I could do 4:15. I think I have that time in me but the heat got to me and I slowed down from 20 miles. My legs were okay but my head felt really hot and I was worried about collapsing. Gave myself a talking to (several times!), taking it mile by mile, and finished in 4:19, 7 minutes quicker than my pb, so happy with that.

The heat seemed to bother a lot of people yesterday. 
  • Well done on getting around everyone, some great times there.

First marathon for me. Training was enoromously interupted by life and injury such that I approached yesterday with a somewhat devil may care attitude. Mile splits very consistent until mile 22 marker where they went off spectacularly, down from 7:45 to 9:15 plus! Very dispiriting to have all the other runners stream past in the last few miles.

Man am I paying for it today - I can barely move!

Did anyone else find it a tad long? My Polar recorded the distance at 22.48 miles....?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did you mean 26.48? :)
    My watched recorded it a bit long but that generally happens due to not always taking the most direct route, weaving around people and then interference when going under motorway bridges and the like. Hey, at least it wasn't short!

Yeah it did get pretty warm. I liked those sprinklers they rigged up around mile 18 or so. I was glad I wore the club vest (rather than the vest layered over a long sleeved top like last year), even if I ended up with a bit of sunburn on my shoulders.

tasty - I was doing sub-10s until half way and then it got closer to 11s by the end (mile 23 was over 11). Even though I run halves at sub-9 pace, I found it hard to maintain my pace beyond the halfway point. I guess that's something I need to work on.
  • Daz BromsDaz Broms ✭✭✭
    Tasty snacks- my garmin recorded distance at 26.35 but guessing I didn't take the shortest route. As few people mentioned the heat affected a lot of us. Wanted a sports drink but could only find water at the stations. 
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Tasty - I measured it about 100m long. I was short at half way though, was getting mildly worried about another short course fiasco although to be fair my Garmin seems to measure all races short. Maybe I take secret short cuts lol. I was chatting to another guy about 18 miles and he was measuring long. I managed to slow down even more than you, average under 7:30s for first 20 but then slowest mile 10:08!