Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Result from the session today 

8km off no warm up as was late getting to the common, as I was getting out the car the lads ran past and shouted 4 minutes till we rumbled so just did a few drills and away we went 

Settled ok, was good to do it in a group, Bens just ran 76 HM and Dan low 33 10km in last few weeks, so decent.

29:10 ish just under for 5 miles and HR in a good place, then just over 9 minutes jog through and like up for parkrun, 17:03ish 4th place, but 5:38 / 5:29 / 5:20 and change made me come away today pretty happy :) 

Getting back slowly 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Matt was looking good when I saw him around 6/9/16 miles, and think he will be fairly happy with today's effort! No doubt he is busy compiling an SG style epic report! Perfect marathon weather, I'd say.

Think the Podium 5k mentioned is here: 
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/Podium-5k-1629429403963466/
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Before he gets it in then, nice run Scott.

Long fell run in beautiful sunshine today. Lots of folk out unsurprisingly. 12.6M and 4850 ft of ascent and a well placed mountain stream to stop total dehydration!  That puts me on 49M for the week.....will I literally go the extra mile later?
  • Seems that for ages I had a silly picture and others sensible ones, now bus and SG have silly faces and mine is a regular profile picture.

Just over 14 miles this morning, mainly on paths. Garmin says 373 m gain. I should have declined that gift of aftershave from bus as I got bit by a dog. 2 big dogs with two men, first showed little interest but nothing untoward, the second was on a leash and being held by the guy but it still jumped up and bit me on the arm: small hole in the long sleeve top and two puncture mask on my arm and scratches on the face of the Garmin, Happened so quickly it must have shocked me as I was not able to get out as many expletives as I normally do. Rest of the run was great: long paths through fields and woods, dry underfoot but not too firm.  
  • Anyone know what Strava climb categories are? Did this segment this morning, 0.3 miles long, almost 300 feet of climb, 16% average gradient. The CR is 5:31 at a pace of 15:50.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oi - I haven't got a silly face! I did warn you about wearing eau de sausage.... did the owners say anything? Nice long run that aside....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Good session Scotty. You seem to get back to in and around your top level fairly quickly whatever comes your way!

Had a quick butchers at that Podium 5k. Bit further up the country than I was expecting, Burnley? I often come in from Altrincham, so a little more distance needed.

Looks interesting, split into 2 races, reminded me of the Watford meets, that you predict your time wisely!  The slowest few times in the A race wouldn't have been top of the B race strangely and a big gap. Hard to say which you'd do better in if you were my sort of pace.

That's a shocker Phil, a bite on the arm. Was it the sullen arm, or the normal one? If it was the latter that's quite a jump. Peril of offroad I suppose. Don't like dogs at all.

I've mentioned before the one that I reckon has to be a potential "report" job that some guy I reckon must live up Winchbottom has to have severely muzzled up. He attends to it worryingly seriously if anyone is walking or running from about 100metres away. That dog scares me. I think it'd be capable of some outrageous harm if it was off that muzzle and it was a narrow road!

Apart from that, there's an old geezer who walks this tiny little white whisp of nothing, that looks hungry to bite your ankles if you get within range in Slough. Not close enough for me to shout any "advice" to the owner just yet.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

13.5miler today.  Woke up a little knackered, so started easier, and 7.02 pace was decent with a few more inclines than normal. Toured a little "zone" in Wycombe I wouldn't normally to spice it up.

Makes a 57mile week. Racing does bring the numbers down a little, but it's so much better having It back as an option.

Found myself scoping out all the potential races over the next few months, there are tonnes. And that's not even going over 10k. But will see how this relay goes next week first.

Awkward week to plot with the Manchester trip over Tue/Wed, and a Saturday relay. Made easier with 3 days off work Mon - Wed, so dare say a single 10 or something tomorrow, maybe Marlow sounds a good idea.

• Jesus PMJ that's not good!!! 

Unsure about Strava CATS 

Bus - Mega elevation for one run! I probably do less than 1000ft a week 

SG - Thanks, although it's taken some time to get back to this level, still limiting volume, 10 mile is my longest run and I've basically strung 14 weeks at 40-50 miles. I'm hoping now I can get some track stuff done and see how that develops things and maybe think it's possible to get into 5KM PB shape this summer without breaking down 

Ill be at Watford 19th April and 3rd May
  • Kudos to Matt too, mental! Waiting for the report 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Interesting Scott, perhaps some of us can get along there.

It's a shame the mile race is this Wednesday. Bad timing, as i'd have driven 3hours earlier that day and probably shouldn't mess about pre Saturday.

Did notice a few "BMC" events at future Watfords though. I looked up BMC- British milers club, but they seem to be other distances.

So how does the "BMC" slot actually work at Watford? Any idea anyone? Phil?

ps Aley/Simon, I read some reviews of that pub, and almost all of them say the landlord is at best an "eccentric" character, and at worst outrageously rude. Add in the tag of most expensive pub in the most expensive part of the country, and apparently a "no mobile phone" rule (didn't see a sign!), and erm, it's different!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Might be a bit slurred when it comes in ;-)

Cheers Scott, yes one of the biggest runs I've done elevation wise. For context, it was about 5 times the climbing of the Marlow half, in half mile less distance!

I did go out and run 1.1 miles earlier too, to make a nice round 50! Not as mad as it seems though, as it got the kids out for a jog and actually worked as a recovery run. Wont upload to Garmin connect though, which is having some sort of breakdown on my ancient laptop!
  • PMJ - thankfully I've never had a bad run-in with a dog when out, apart from a couple of over zealous ankle-biters. I hope it doesn't amount to anything.

SG - good running today, and a strong week!

Bus - massive elevation! That's best part of fell runs IMO - my parents live on the edge of Dartmoor, so plenty of opportunity for cracking runs among the tors.

Big week from me this week, coming out at 59.5mi.
    Ran the Combe Gibbet to Overton 16 XC today, and easily the hardest race I've ever run - more so than the coastal races I've done! It was partly the conditions, as it was blistering sunshine today, but the terrain was mental - fields, bridle paths, gravel paths and road. Despite being net-downhill, there was a big hill from 9-11 miles. 
    Started off too fast with HR picking up, but reeled it back in to keep it as a steady run (to be honest, I didn't fancy much harder an effort anyway) - finished in 1h55m, 7:08/mi, placing currently unknown, but ahead of first woman! Tough course, but amazing views - would definitely recommend!
    One of the lads from the training group back home ran it too, and finished 3rd - monstrous! There was a new course record set today, that has held for a long time - and the second-only time there was a sub-1h30m finish.
  • Matt, I've heard one of the highlights of the Combe Gibbet to Overton 16 is the coach ride from the finish back to the start (it is a point to point race) with coaches making very tight turns down very narrow lanes. Solid run. 
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Looked a belter of a session when i saw it on strava Scott. like SG says, it doesnt take you long to get back to decent nick. thats probably due to you going about it the right ay and not like me who chases it!

sounds a good day on the fells Bus. how was the calf? did it pass the test for a brutal weeks worth of climbing? ;-)

what did he say to the dog biting you PMJ? I'd have been to full of adrenaline to enjoy the run. I'd have had all the scenarios in my head about leathering the dog and him. Haha. 

Really appreciate the shouts today Alehouse! I think you spotted me at every point I was feeling good. Haha. 
    After a chat with the boss after looking back through my training we decided that 2.29 pace would be suicidal and to go for a pb which in all honesty I didn't feel I was capable of. I was under orders to run the first 6 miles at 5.50-6 min pace and then see how I was. Still wasn't keen on me going to far under 5.50 pace but to get to 20-21 and then hopefully have some left. 

After 5 or so miles I seemed to be running solo which I'm happy doing as I can just concentrate on myself. A clubmate was in the group I front which seemed a fair way ahead but he's never beaten me and I envisaged them coming back at some point. Passed Aley at 6 miles feeling good and went through 10 in 58 feeling ok. I'd passed a couple who'd dropped off the group in front and I was then joined by Matt Bond (2.15man)who was using it as a training run for London. He made it look effortless. (10miles at 5.50s then 14 miles at about 5.20-30s.)
    It was about 12 miles when a Tipton lad came motoring past me and off into the distance but I could see my clubmate and another lad drop off the group In front. Think I went through halfway in 1.16.30ish and wondering how I could muster another half. Haha. I seemed to go through peaks and troughs and when I caught my clubmate i hit a good patch and we worked together and we went past Steve Way before I eventually left my clubmate. 
    From then on in it all got a bit difficult despite my pace being consistent but I was having a lot more darker moments. I nearly threw the towel in a few times but I was always making ground on those ahead. 20 miles up in 1.57/58 I think and I then started doing the maths of could I 6 min mile home for a pb but I knew it'd be tight. 
    A real mental battle over the last few miles but managed to grind it out and still pass a few people to finish in 18th place and a new pb of 2.33.55.

I had a clubmate run 2.30.30 and another ran 2.34 so we think we may have won the team prize which I think is £200. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds a heck of a time Matt, congrats! And what a club turn out too!

Wonder how many people who put in big shifts today will turn out next weekend!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done ML84! You appeared to be running a sensible race...And the results show you did. Very consistent pacing meant you reeled in a fair few. Livers ran well also! Not sure what Steve Way was doing! Thought he was going to stop and have a chat when I spoke to him just before 16! He either faded badly or was it a training run?
    And Mr Bond seems to be going particularly well.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    He'd mentioned previously on Strava that he'd had a cold so I think the plan was to run 5.30s for a training run but he abandoned that at around halfway I think. 
    I'll be telling my daughter he was in tip top shape though ;-) 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    So, what plans now ML? And yes, Marigold was flat out today.
  • Quality run Matt! Very sensible race plan to be fair and it paid off. Impressive. I won't stop running till I've done a marathon I don't think, if my legs let me. Few years yet me thinks 

hopefully team prize is your way too 

You can't force fitness ;) I'm really happy with the group I'm involved with and making good gains, I've had good results self coaching but of course injury with it. My training now is very strange. Primarily time based which I never really did before. I'm sticking to the HR stuff and still low volume runs outside of sessions which keeps me somewhat fresh but still find it effort to run 60 mins even at 7m/m

Ive had a consistent start to the year which helps but also when I look back it's all been very much controlled and progressive, long run was built up and now staying put. Sessions were increased gradually etc etc. 

Yes SG - Would be good to have some thread smackdowns :)

• Ha ha sensible plan ML84, congrats on the PB and a coherent race report too! I remember going through 32k in 2 hours in Berlin thinking I just needed to do a sub 40 10k to get under 2.40. It's tough. 

PMJ - just about had enough of dogs at the moment. The 'activity track' over the park is like a Crufts parade ground, stupidly they won't walk them in the field surrounding the park. That race sounds tough MH! My dad used to do the Overton 5 back in the day. Nice run Bus and mileage SG. Good to see Scott getting there again. 

Felt pretty good yesterday morning on my hilly 11 miler, got round in about 74 so that was about 6.40 miling. Hammy felt a bit tight yesterday at the footie, but jogged 2 miles down to the pool for family swimming and it mow feels better, belted out a few lengths too when I was there. Not hungover too so that was a bonus!!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    You can't have had enough beers yet Matt - that report all makes sense! Top job that though - total respect. Crazy to think that at that pace, you went through every recognised distance faster than my PBs!!!

Yeah, calf has been fine - Ric was right about it being a 2 day speed job. Plenty else was hurting though!

MH - yep, no massive hills down that way, but they are all steep and you are either going up or coming down, so they soon add up! Sounds a good race that too.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I came home from the pub about 7. I don't mind my own company but I've run the majority of a marathon on my own so another 3 hours drinking on my own wasn't much cop. ;-) 

Alehouse, I've been told to rest for a few days then ill have to set some targets. Hopefully so e shorter stuff over the summer.  I'll prob do an autumn marathon as James thinks I went I to Manchester with nothing much more than a good base. 
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Storming marathon Matt, very pleased to see you hitting a PB again, and maybe it is for the best that you didn't shoot for 2:30 (although I did genuinely think it might be doable).  Great pace throughout, and a strong placing as well.  Fingers crossed for any potential team prize.  Enjoy the post-marathon downtime as well, that's always my favourite bit. 

Well done to the Last Friday mob, sounds like some handy times were run.

Bad luck on the dog front PMJ.  You should have bitten it back.

Nothing exciting from me this weekend, other than that I volunteered to pace parkrun at 17 minutes.  In the end, no-one followed me and I cruised round to a 16:55.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Why on earth is there a sub 17 pacer :)

but now i know there is one i might need to take that up one day soon!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    In case anyone wants pacing to sub 17.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Bit of a fast time to need pacing to. Let alone at a parkrun!

just in case that needed saying :)

Had a scroll through Woodley results, averages 1 sub 17 over the last 10 weeks...so must have been rare those weeks you said you had a whole gang to compete with at the sharper paces.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Depends.  It gets slower over winter.  The course gets muddier and slippier on the grass bits, and the faster local runners tend to run in the Saturday cross country races.  In summer, sub 17 is pretty much standard.

Kenenisa Bekele needed pacing to 12:37.  Well, part of the way anyway.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

outstanding Matt.  very impresive pacing.

SG - BMC has a minimum requirement to get entry. these are often the best middle distance races in the country.   at watford/stretford they are normally gold events (occasionally a grand prix).  i struggle to get entry into the 1500m and have zero chance over 800m.  the 3000 or 5000 will have slow coaches at the backpushing out a "sedated" 8.30 / 15 mins.  Even when i have raced in BMC im in the slowest race and often on paper the slowest runner.  you do get BMC regional events and the quality is no where near the same and minimal entry requirements tend to be "have you brought £5 with you?"  not sure they do these in watford though.

my first outing since goosing my ankle a couple of weekends ago.  been very good and not done anything until the pain and swelling had disappeared.  i did 40 mins on the cross trainer and a whole 1 mile on the treadmill at a 9mm pace.  no pain so far, and if no reaction over night i will start a gradual return.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, sounds like you've got away with what could have been a real blow.

Looks like there's only that single opportunity to race a 1miler at Watford then, and it's this Wed, which just doesn't fit in.

Dachs, if you do a pace job again once day let me know (let this little flurry of races die down first).

When I look at my Friday splits, I ranged from doing 16.40pace to 1730 pace. 

Have usually found that you know the first and last km will be quick, and you know you'll have a little sag In the middle, so maybe pacing wouldn't work.