Brighton Marathon 2017

Comments

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    MACb said:
    I'm more worried about getting to the Withdean start! looking like the 2 mile walk from the train station, I might try and thumb a lift!

You won't have much luck thumbing cos the road will be closed from 7, there might be some race vehicles passing but no general traffic.

Cab might be possible although I have heard of them charging stupid amounts on race day, not sure why. If they go from the station, up Dyke Road and down through Withdean they miss the road closures.

• I am in same dilemma - will go for the adidas adios and suffer the pain after the race!
  • If you're doing it, I'm doing it. Adidas Adios Boosts for me too then.

As everyone keeps saying there's much less craic at the Withdean, if anyone wants to say hello there beforehand, I'll be the short ginger pacing around nervously. I get told I look like Boris Becker a lot. Good luck with rest and carb loading this week everyone
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I'll keep my eyes open Danny. I'll be sat on my backside somewhere, recovering from a few miles walking! Still haven't decided on shoes, will be a last minute decision.

Feeling good today, starting to get excited after loads of my mates ran the Manchester marathon yesterday. I also supported club members at the local Loughborough half marathon, a truly terrible race! Glad I chose not to run it. But it did feel odd watching rather than running. Need to keep it sensible this week.

• john2443john2443 ✭✭✭
    Weather forecast so far shows dry all the time apart from a bit of rain tomorrow and 15 degrees on Sunday so looks good and should be no need for bags on feet for the start pens.
  • Weather looking good.. Brighton marathon Gods should be out again.

Danny if you are in the Withdean start then its compulsory to wear lightweight shoes....

Right - im getting nervous now.......

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed with the weather, just want to avoid too much wind. I'm getting nervous, more about getting a cold than anything else! I'm also stressed by the train journey and 2 mile walk before the start. I think if and when I get to the start line I will relax.

• All will be good MACb..... Believe in the training.

As you say wind is the biggest killer. 12mph is ok as predicted so far

• oh wind prediction dropped to 8mph even better - but could be a warm day.
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    8mph wind will be perfect I think. The temperature looks OK too, should be no problem during the earlier stages, bit might warm up. it's always tough running a spring marathon, I've done no running in the sun whatsoever! Starting to feel like a coiled spring now.
  • Wind estimated at 9mph now - still looking good, but will certainly be getting warm by 10-11am. but means the spectators will be out in force!
  • Just getting ready for my flight from Australia. Hope it's not too hot, was looking forward to running in the cool!
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭

It is looking fairly hot Migrant. It's the risk of a Spring marathon. I mean I have done 0 miles in hot conditions this year, so this might be tough. On the plus side, great for the spectators as Fat Boy Trim says.

• Weather now been reported as the start of summer, with highs of up to 23 degrees, will be a little cooler on the coast I guess but its going to be a hot one. Last year was only 14-15 degrees and that was warm enough. As mentioned this will bring the crowds out in force though, just hope it doesn't get too hot.

• Weather now been reported as the start of summer, with highs of up to 23 degrees, will be a little cooler on the coast I guess but its going to be a hot one. Last year was only 14-15 degrees and that was warm enough. As mentioned this will bring the crowds out in force, just hope it doesn't get too hot.

• I did Paris last year. Trained in wind, rain and cold, then turned up and it was 21 degrees on the day - always the way with these Spring ones like everyone keeps saying....I'm still hoping the weather reports are optimistic though
  • john2443john2443 ✭✭✭

Been quite warm today in Brighton, we've been at start and finish doing deliveries, nothing untoward to report at start, grass is nice and dry unlike last years quagmire! Even dry enough that we could drive the van onto the grass, which we daren't do last year!

One useful bit of info could be that there are public loos in the café building on the top side of the start pens - last year IIRC there were big queues at the portaloos but none at the cafe....don't tell everyone though! (They aren't the cafes, they are the parks so OK for non café patrons)

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    Sun cream packed. Also opting for the Asicis Nimbus's, I fancy the comfort! Just a long drive down in the morning now. Good luck everyone.
  • Wow , that was a hot one.... reigned in my expectations from sub 3:10 with a sub 3:14 so got my GFA and was happy with that. MACb was wise with the sun cream - I didn't and got burnt neck and shoulders.... But another great day. Brighton marathon has the best supporters and volunteers! Thanks everyone.
  • Well done to everyone that saw it through to the end yesterday. How did people cope with the heat?
    Myself, I suffered.
    I had to scrap my race plan and felt major disappointment at only 14 miles.
    Pace dropped, I developed a pain in my left foot and then I got cramps in both legs, calfs and quads!
    Never experienced anything like it.
    Final 12 miles were a mixture of walking, stretching, hopping and limping. barely managed 14 min/miles. A bit different to my 8:45 plan.....
    Felt disappointed at the finish yesterday, but today it feels like a major achievement just to survive the marathon.
  • Well done on the beach. I have done 16 marathons including hot ones in Barcelona and Jerusalem, and that was one of my toughest!

Oh and thanks to John2443 for all the useful marathon advice.

• Hi Mr Trim, thanks. Amazing time btw,3:14 is a rocket time! Well done.
    It is good to hear that I wasn't the only one suffering. It is more running experience under my belt however.
  • Well done everyone. I finished in 2:57:18 which I am very, very happy with. Especially after hearing how much everyone struggled with the heat. I was holding 2:55 pace until the turnaround point at the power station, but the wind against us made the last four miles a struggle. Managed to tough it out though. Amazing crowd support as ever, it really is a great event.
  • Well done to everyone that raced yesterday. Brighton was my first marathon and I found it a hard, hard slog. The wheels started to come off at about mile 13 and by mile 17 I was wretchedly wondering if I was going to be able to finish. I did in 4:16 in the end - not what I had been hoping for but I am so happy to have completed it that anything else is a bonus.

What I am wondering now is if yesterday was particularly hard as far as marathons go (unexpectedly high temperatures) or if that's just how it is? I followed the RB sub 3:45 plan and stuck to my fuelling plan, adding more fluids to compensate for the heat and just felt total exhaustion from about halfway in. I didn't go out fast at the start, although clearly I must have set my expectations a little too high for my current capabilities. The mental battle was tough and I want to do another marathon next year - but not like that!
  • Katelotte, Well done. 4:16 is a pretty good time in the conditions especially for a first marathon, not knowing what to do or expect.

I have done 16 marathons now, and that was my toughest due to conditions, HOWEVER Marathons are tough especially the last 6 miles, otherwise they would not be such a great achievement.

You will look back on that and always find it one of your great achievements even if you run another one a lot faster. ? I can recommend the P&D schedule for someone like yourself. - there is a always a good P&D thread on runnersworld , with some pretty experienced people on there.

• Hi Katelotte, don't be put off by your time. Fantastic effort in the heat.
    I ran 4:17 last year due to a calf cramp at 21 miles, was on target for 4hr till that point.
    This year I trained better and had two 1/2 marathon PB's at 1:45. So I was very confident of a 4 maybe sub 4 marathon yesterday. But I had a very similar experience to what you described, I was so disappointed with myself at the 18 mile marker. Nearly gave up!
    There was just no time for our bodies to acclimatise to the hot weather.

If I train again, I may do some long runs in extra clothing to try and mimic nicer climates than our winter. Not sure if it will help?
  • Hello , I've been secretly lurking on your thread but felt I had to sign in and comment for Katelotte. Brighton was my 11 th marathon and yesterday's conditions made it the hardest one I have done . The other 10 were hilly muddy affairs so Brighton should have been a breeze in comparison but it wasn't . I think if you managed to finish yesterday then most other marathons will be far easier in comparison . 
  • Thank you for your replies, it really helps and I guess just goes to show that so much depends on the day itself. I ran a 1:46 half in March as part of my training and I had hoped to get a sub 4 but it just wasn't my day. Great support though - such lovely people lining the streets and someone even handed me an icepop!

Can I just ask - what's a P&D schedule?
  • From the slower runners perspective.....did you realise that all drinks from mile 18 to 24 completely ran out? There was literally nothing left for the runners. So all the 4:30 plus people were doing the last few miles in the heat of the day with no hydration. There were many, many runners in this situation. A few stations had water but no cups. Some runners were sharing the very last bottle at one station, passing it down the line for a few mouthfuls each. I saw so many runners needing medical attention. It was pretty scary back there.