Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Kirsten B said:
     Loved it then, it was my first marathon and I did it in 4:49, still my PB. 

A little birdy tells me Kirsten will have to review her previous post. 
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Feeling better as the day has gone on (despite the fact that I was still throwing up at 6am this morning). Decided not to even try a run as I've not eaten but took the kids out for a walk and ended up walking for three hours having totally lost track of time and my daughter was on her scooter so we did between 3 and 4 miles. Knee feels bit stiff but I'm feeling a lot better now and felt very hungry when I got back in which can only be a good sign.

Interesting about paracetamol. I'll definitely take some at the start and then four hours in. My sports physio was going to tape my knee for me Thursday evening but cancelled the appointment as he is going away, so I've brought some tape and will do it myself. I've drawn round the tape he put on so I have guidelines!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Katey! Good to hear that you're feeling better! :)
  • Just been catching up on forum and there is so much good advice and support on here. Thanks so much to everyone - its really helpful and I am getting stupidly nervous about the whole thing but it seems this is usual.
    I have had a crazy couple of weeks at work but have done my best to follow the runners world schedule that Nells suggested and in 'theory' I should make it round. However I still cant quite imagine going a step further than 20miles. My long runs have not been a pretty sight.
    I ordered some GU gels that arrived last week (salted caramel) and they are absolutely yummy. I am not sure if they are any good but I really like the taste of them.
    Katey I have read through your last couple of weeks and I salute you for your perseverance and determination with young children and not having the greatest prep but I have a feeling that determination of yours will see you through to the finish line.
    I am going to Paris on Friday with my friend and I am really looking forward to meeting lots of you on Saturday evening. Just 7 more sleeps to go ...
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone.  I've had an eventful weekend.  After having a stiff neck for over a week, it got to the point yesterday where it was unbearable to went to the doctor.  Turns out I have torticollis which I think is basically  stiff neck.  It's too painful to run, but have been given some very strong drugs and I'm hoping I'll be ok by next weekend.  My last 3 weeks training have been pretty rubbish and it feels like someone is trying to stop me getting to Paris.

Well done Katey on persevering.  I have no doubt that when you cross that finishing line next Sunday, you will be so proud of what you have achieved.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone it's not been the couple of weeks I had planned but I'm feeling positive that I'll get through and as it's my first I have no time pressure. Feeling much better now but frustrated at wasting most of the weekend in bed.

Kenno that doesn't sound good. I hope the painkillers help. Hopefully a week is enough time to improve enough to enable you to run. 
  • Paracetamol are 'painkillers' not enhancers to improve performance.
    I take them for my stiff neck.
    So they have a previously unknown side affect of reducing body temperature, that's great because marathon day could be a scorcher just like Paris 2016. Stay injury free marathon runners.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I understand that paracetamol are painkillers and people take them quite legitimately. However I would be very wary of posting something in a public forum about it reducing body temperature particularly when it looks like it will be hot on Sunday. I wouldn't want people to read it and take paracetamol just for that reason. And I would refer to that type of usuage as performance enhancing. 
  • While we are all busy forecast shopping... this is my fav usually pretty accurate:
    https://www.windguru.cz/49448
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    We are running the marathon this week!

I've woken up feeling terrified this morning, my heart is racing and I'm in a state of panic that I've only run 5km in the last seven days. 

I dreamt about the race last night (not in a good way). I don't think I'm going to be much use to anybody this week ...
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see taper madness is in full flow.

All those will illness and injuries rest up and get ready for Paris. Fingers crossed any ailments will have gone by Sunday.

I think I'm still in denial that it's happening this Sunday.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Oooohhhh, I wonder what's happening this weekend...

Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky. Chasewater Easter egg 10k - Chris 1875.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin, LeggyMountbatten, Smudgerncfc, chris 1875, Maccatheknacca, nicko1981. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    Apr 30: Birmingham 10k - chris 1875.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon.
    May 7: Lichfield half marathon - chris 1875.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-. Draycote water half marathon - chris 1875.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt, LeggyMountbatten, Smudgerncfc. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Chris 1875.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells, TBO2, baldstan.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 3: Harvel H5 - baldstan.
    Jun 6: Comrades - Nodster, Running Rodent.
    Jun 11: Bahtat marathon - Karen Bowman 2.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday. Wythall & Hollywood 10k - chris 1875.
    Jul 1: Birmingham black country half marathon - chris 1875.
    Jul 8: Timbermonger 10k - chris 1875.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 17: Worcester 10k - chris 1875. Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Sep 24: Berlin Marathon - Slinkyminky, LeggyMountbatten, chris 1875, Smudgerncfc, baldstan, 1992km.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Chris 1875. Chicago Marathon - Nodster, Nells, The Jimbob.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Chris 1875, LeggyMountbatten, AspirantRunner.
    Oct 22: Great South Run - Loubella.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 5: New York Marathon - Smudgerncfc, TBO2.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.

Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr: Two Oceans

• Katey glad to hear you're on the mend. You've got this! Kenno, do you think a massage might help?

Let the countdown begin, we're in marathon week!
  • TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Eggy I was just like that last year. The only way I could calm myself was by visualising crossing the finish line. Hang in there it's not long and I want all of you to finish!
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    I seem to have developed all these aches and pains I just keep telling myself it all in my head :)
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭
     ....ok name now ironed on vest...'pre-packing' has begun...Paris here we come -deep breaths all we can do it (says she with a heart rate that surely should mean I am in the middle of a heart attack)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    The hot forecast is seriously adding to the taper week anxiety; especially considering how burnt I got in the sun yesterday! Hopefully they have misting showers on the course. At least the last proper training runs are out the way.

Hope everyone's ailments and illnesses clear up quick. Roll on the post-race beers on Sunday!
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    This is where we need Jimbob and his Packing List.

Just the small matter of my chartered pension exam to get out of the way tomorrow morning.  Then I'll start thinking about Paris...
  • Bandito27Bandito27 ✭✭✭
    nicko - there are mist showers out on the course and also the local fire brigade were also out in force last year...

Yer Maj - Isn't Jimbob's packing list a pair of shorts and some Aviators.. Good luck in your exam. Sounds Interesting....:)
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    They do have mist showers and one of the hotter years I also remember a few water hoses out to spray folk. Personally I avoid them, it just leads to chaffing and doesn't actually cool you.
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    You can sink up your Facebook and they'll live stream you cross the 30km section and then the finish line!

http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/en/information/live-video-asics
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    If you're taking your phone with you on the run, remember to put it in a zip lock bag. Those pesky French firemen and their hoses can be a law unto themselves...
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    ***** Saturday evening meal reminder *****

The restaurant for the meal has been booked. Due to the numbers we’re back at PastaPapa, which has been used for a few years now. They’re a chain Italian restaurant, with typical pasta and pizza options. We have 54 people attending this year. Here are the details for the meal. I’ll post this information again closer to the race.

Date: April 8th

Time: 5:30pm (meet-up near the restaurant)

Location: PastaPapa, 1 bis Rue Jean Mermoz, 75008 Paris, France

Meet-up Point: Area next to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Metro Station.

If possible please bring cash to pay for the meal, as it makes it easier for the staff when dealing with such a large group. Unfortunately their website is down just now, but typical prices from memory are around 15 euros for a main course. The food and drink prices are fairly standard for Paris.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    ***** Sunday night pub reminder *****

Sunday night post marathons celebrations will be at the Frog Revolution Pun in Bastille this year. Everybody welcome. Come and join the fun and show off your finishers t-shirt and medal. They serve food for those interested, apparently the burgers are good.

Venue:
    Frog Revolution 9
    rue de la Bastille

How to get there:
    Metro Bastille.
    Follow, Sortie (Exit) 7 - Place des Vosges
    Next to the Hippopotamus Restaurant

The upstairs bar is reserved for BCRC/RW. The place is booked from 5pm onwards.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    ***** Sunday morning pre-race meet *****

Location: Arc de Triomphe (see map for exact point or look out for stool flags and people dressed as minions)
    Time: 7:45am

Runners World forum pre-race meet at the Arc for group photos and  to allow people to meet-up and join each other in the pens to help calm the nerves.

This has been a tradition for as long as I've been going and probably far longer than that. Early start to allow the fast folk get to their pen on time. For those at the pointy end of the marathon I'd do the bag drop before the meet-up.

I know this is a very early start for the likes of pink pen runners, but I believe our very own Nells can point you in the way of a cafe to relax in while the idiots at the front are in panic mode in their pens.

arc.PNG 253.5K
  • Anyone know if there is a feature where people can track runners at different stages of the race? I can't see it anywhere on the website
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    I can indeed Eggy - and I can also vouch for their very nice toilets with no queues too. I'll be heading over for a quick espresso and use of the facilities post bag drop off. Incredibly, last time I was there we were the only ones in the whole place despite 40,000 people and their supporters all being crammed in round the corner queuing for half and hour for a smelly portaloo. It's 5 minutes or less to walk to the back pens from there, all are welcome to come along to the coffee morning.
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭
    Emma16 - I don't think you can track on the website (at least year you couldn't) but the Paris Marathon app enables you to add up to 3 runners to track I think.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭
    Eggy - Thank you for organising all of the meet-ups. See you at the weekend.