where to stay for great north run?

after some advice please.  my wife has an entry through the ballot and now looking at a good place to stay the night before.  any tips?
Tagged:

Comments

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Book early. There will be loads of people looking for accommodation and most will be taken already. At this stage, you need to either have deep pockets or be willing to stay further out of town. If it was me I'd stay somewhere central in Newcastle, handy for the start line and easy to get away from and on the road afterwards. Getting back from South Shields to Newcastle on the Sunday afternoon can be very busy, so if you're leaving for home that day it can take a while to get back to Newcastle. Of course, this is a good argument for staying Sunday night as well and having a few well-earned drinks. There will be cheaper accommodation going, but it's unlikely to be central. Maybe consider staying a few miles out of town and driving or getting the train in on Sunday morning?
  • Nirvana seem to lock up all of the accommodation in the entire North East.  If you book with them they have coaches to and from the start. 
  • Have to agree Nirvana will be the better option. They normally have the cheapest option as they have the university accommodation which are close to the start. They will be the only one who will offer one night stay. The majority of hotels will only offer two nights. So my advice is be quick.
  • I would third the uni accommodation offered by Nirvana.  I stayed in Castle Leazes 2 years ago which is only a short walk to the start line.  This year I've got a room near St James Park - I figured a bit closer to town so I can go out and get something to eat.  Student accommodation isn't like it was in my day  :) Nice en suites with toiletries and wifi.  Unfortunately, that weekend you're paying the same as you would for a pretty good hotel any other weekend.  I got my return coach with Nirvana 2 years ago but found it a bit of a faff trying to find it at the end.  I'm intending to get the public buses this year that seemed to be lined up near the finish 2 years ago.  Best of luck to your wife with finding a room.
  • Tom LuntTom Lunt ✭✭✭
    I stayed at a caravan park called Village Green Caravan Park and then jumped onto the metro to take me to the race start which was a few miles away - very straight forward and only cost me around £110 for 3 nights over the weekend for a 6 birth static caravan, we made a weekend of it. I would consider it if I were you instead of paying 2-300 for a hotel in the centre
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    If you don't mind camping South Shields Westoe RFC might have spaces. I stayed there in 2014 it was a great atmosphere, you get the metro to the start line (set off early!) and can walk from the finish.