Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy the time and don't forget the photo at the arc!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Lucy - Paris 2016 was going to be my 2nd and last. This time on Sunday I'll have run 7!
  • Hi guys I tempted fate with my post the other day and I'm not going to make the start line, anyway good luck to you all with the race, I hope it's not too hot for you and I'll be following the thread to see how you all get on.
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that Jonzygon 
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    lucyfoster I don't think anyone really plans to do more than one. Generally, at about 38k in your first you don't even want to do one.
    Once you've crossed the finish line, you will be convinced - never again. 
    Yet,every step you take towards the Arc, the pain will fade slightly. You'll get back to your hotel and have a soak and relax a bit.
    Then, if your are really lucky, you'll head to the pub and meet the people from the thread. You'll have a beer and compare war stories and eventually the question will arise - where are you doing next?
    You may well shake your head and laugh but then you'll hear talk of Liverpool and Chicago, NY and Portsmouth and even London - via the mythical ballot. 
    And you'll start to wonder. And then 'maybe' will enter your vocabulary. 
    At this point, you may as well just give in as you'll be hooked. 

Well, that's what happened to me (Hamburg, Liverpool & Chicago this year
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Jonzygon - Sorry to hear you're having to pull out. 

Lucy - As a pale Scottish person I'm also allergic to that burnt orange thing that seems to be in the sky over here. First marathon, enjoy it and take in the sights and sounds. This'll be marathon number 19 for me and I still can't do hot weather running. You can get the training perfect, but sometimes the conditions on the day just aren't right. 

Hope to see a few of you the Breakfast Run tomorrow morning.
  • I brought my running injuries with me because they didn't want to stay behind. So I've given them all cold baths since arriving Thursday lunchtime. Did a recce of the Arc today. Got an extra 2 metro tickets ready for Sunday.
    A bit late in the day to suggest this folks but if any of you are staying around Gare du Nord station and want to share a taxi to the Arc, give a shout. I'm online numerous times a day doing nothing. No more sight seeing for me. Just resting up.
  • Just waiting to board the Eurostar now. Get to Paris at 11.30, quickly swing by the hotel, dump my bag and then get to the Expo. Really, really excited! This is going to be my third Paris Marathon. For those of you who are running it for the first time - you're in for one hell of a treat! Yes it's going to be warm, but the course looks so good in the sun. 

Moved up a pen since we organized the list - I'm now 4224 in Red Pen. 

Looking foreard to following this thread today and tomorrow as always. Every year I tell myself I must contribute year round, but life always seems to get in the way. NEXT year, for sure - as I'll be on that start line in April 2018 for sure!

Good luck everyone!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    On the way to Bristol airport, its very real now!. Look forward to meeting you all at the arc tomorrow.

Best of luck to all.
  • akelaakela ✭✭
    Hope to join you all next year for my first marathon. Good luck to you all. 
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    Just back from breakfast run really enjoyable. Everyone wanted their photos taken with me
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    Must have been the kilt
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭
    My post has thrown a wobbly
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Well good journey until we hit an accident outside of Paris and then couldn't find hotel or parking. Feel very stressed but have got here now.

Next up find expo and collect number! 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone. Hope to see you at the Arc or the Frog. If you're making a late dash from the Eurostar to the Expo avoid Montparnasse, you can't change lines there at the moment. 

Think I may be using the sponge stations this year so must remember to wrap my spare metro ticket in a plastic bag. 

Also been told to keep my metro ticket away from my phone. Apparently the magnetic strips are easily corrupted and then the tickets won't work. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up baldistan. Just took emergency ticket back out of phone case. Bag is packed. Race number fixed. Alarm set. Sandwich bag to keep phone dry. Never been so organised! 
  • Hey guys, anyone else stuck on the Eurostar? Apparently there has been an incident in the tunnel so all other trains are stuck.....what time does the expo close again?! 
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    It shuts at 7pm Ben. 

Ive looked at their twitter feed and it's a single line through the tunnel so there are some delays. Fingers crossed you get going soon. 
  • FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭
    My daughter is on the train behind the one stuck in the tunnel. 50 minute delay, apparently. Salon closes at 7pm today. 
  • Sent emails to ASO Challengers and other points of contact at the Expo and told them of the possible delay of Marathoners on the Eurostar. Hope this helps those that might be stranded.
  • How's this for a reply about possible stranded marathon runners on the Eurostar.

Hello,

We close at 7pm, if you know someone in Paris this person can collect your bib with a copy of your ID and medical form

Best regards,

• Probably my fail here, but just rocked up to pasta papa at 5.30 which was when I thought we were meeting, to find an empty restaurant and be told the party of 50+ was at 7 o'clock.

just hanging round the park now, but if am in the wrong place will just go back and eat near my hotel.

any clues?

ps hi to everyone who was at Bois de boulogne parkrun this morning.
  • Sorry we missed you Basil - we were actually booked at 6. We're here now if you want to pop in, or see you at the Arc tomorrow?
  • Roddymac - I'll also be in the kilt tomorrow.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Will Roddymac's kilt be as short as yours?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone!  I hope your enjoyed the meal tonight! 
  • Pistol101Pistol101 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organising Eggy - good meeting lots of you. Hope everyone sleeps well and lets all be epic tomorrow.
  • kateykatey ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organising Eggy. Sorry we dashed off as soon as we'd eaten and didn't get to speak to many of you. The kids have been driving me a bit nuts today and there was no way my boy was going to sit for much longer without having a melt down.

my fitbit reckons I've walked 8km today. Not quite the relaxing day I had planned!