VLM 2017

2»

Comments

• There's some truth in the fact that Lanza ain't ever going to be an IM PB course!

:o 
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Dave - mega jealous of Boston.  I did it last year. The best race I've ever done without question.  Is it your first time or have you done it before? 
  • I've done it twice before Phil, the last time was 2008, back in the days when you could actually take a bag to drop off at the start.  It's an amazing event.
  • if you see #261 running Boston again, shake her hand or give her a nod of respect... amazing story!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Thanks again Dave for the info you gave me on Boston. See y'all there!
  • Hi Guys interesting reading re running marathon and IM close together. I had a VLM place last year but had to defer to this year. I'm now going to run VLM in 2 weeks and doing my first IM (IMUK) in July (12 week gap - not as close as Lanz). I'm also doing a 1/2 IM 4 weeks after VLM but treating this as a training Tri to be honest. All well and good I'm looking to PB at VLM and I would put it down to the big bike miles. but I just think now though VLM is getting in the way of IM!
  • edited April 2017
    That's a decent gap, so you should be fine... I can relate to the VLM training getting in the way though... that's exactly how I felt about Paris mara last year... sounds like you've kept the bike miles up though, which with hindsight, I think is key.... be mentally prepared to lose an entire week post VLM... due to my compromised run training, Paris hit my legs harder than normal (I was a hobbling mess!), and I couldn't run at all for 3 days after, and felt weak for a fortnight or more... it took me a full month to get pace back to the same place for the same perceived effort.... I've not got IM this year, just VLM, and its been a real treat to be able to bang out the big miles on foot week after week without worrying about lost bike and swim time!
  • Thanks Magna for your feedback. I'm now in Taper madness. Every pain in my calfs or legs or feet and I think I'm injured! When I've ran marathons before it normally takes me 5-6 days before I run again. It's been a good thing marathon training and biking 70-80 odd miles the day before my long Sunday morning runs, but also tough on the body. The taper is difficult period as I also want to maintain the bike/swimming throughout although the week leading up to VLM will be a mainly a active recovery week. Sounds like you are enjoying just focusing on VLM and not another IM. I hope you achieve your goal.
  • Cheers Dave. That's a result then. Pressure off and I can just run without the fear of what will happen if the wheels falling off. 

Last long run today. Regents Park Half. Cheeky little PB so hopeful for London. 
  • Just got back from my own little run and my wife has been cyber tracking Posh T. 2hrs 53 - superb. If I were him I'd be worried that I was getting too good to be a pirate! 

Well done, to you and the rest who've done London.  
  • So I was at the Mile 17 marker.

Saw Posh T, Duda and SunnyPhil.

Who were the other people sporting various Pirate headwear? Think I saw one with a buff and two with visors that I shouted at.
  • I spotted happychap supporting if that counts?

Way too warm for the pirate buff today.  2:46 for me, 3 minutes quicker than Boston last Monday. Go figure!
  • Well done all. Was marshalling at mile 24. Saw 4 pirates and yelled at you all :):)
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Some great fallings out on facebook with people putting some IMO tongue in cheek posts about marathons being easy and people going nuts about these posts - satire isn't dead