Overdone it?

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Actually, he'd not have got away with fancy dress running off the champs start anyway, and neither would I. I could just not go in the championship area if planning to run with Fifi1 (who has a club place) but I am too selfish to queue for the plebs' toilets with her.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Happy bday for yesterday Lit.

Ok that is now officially 5 times and across 4 different mediums :)

Tommy, remind me what club you are, and what gear your crew wear?

I dare say my anxiety levels will be off the scale between 12 and 2.30 tomorrow pre my leg, but i'm sure I can come and say howdy at some stage! (not helped by reading that piece you posted which made it seem even more epic, and certainly not helped by sitting in a pub with a gang of grisselled old boys the other week laughing that I was doing the long leg - will try and take you tip to go off like a pansy, rather than a kamikaze hero, though no promises if there's anyone in my 200metres view!!)

Can't remember if anyone else on this thread is there?

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Stevie - Holme Pierrepont RC - dark blue vest with a red stripe, all being well we'll have a blue tent and a flag if I can park close enough.

Haha, yep I can imagine exactly what those old boys were saying! Just e grateful you're not on leg 1, things get pretty tense inside the pen before the start, packed in like sardines with ultra high levels of testosterone; you definitely need sharp elbows and resilient toes for that one! Good fun to watch though and see some of the big names come monstering through to the finish.

I can almost guarantee you'll go off way too quick, it's nigh on impossible not to!

I think DT's club are going to be there but without DT (as he's going to what sounds like a food fight tonight and has a 10k attack on Sunday).

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    SG: Simon is not a grisselled old boy. Hope I'm not either. You obviously meant the other guys in the pub! Have a great day tomorrow and hope you and Tommy get the chance to meet. Looking forward to the report already!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Haha Aley, meant in the finest respect, as in "seen it all and done it all" type experienced campaigners :)

You know me, however it goes i'll be milking a monster report out of it.

Tommy, distinctive team name, and I trust you'll have "TOMMY" written on your vest as well to make it easier ;) and to escape any "i'm Stevie G off the internet" to the wrong person.

64 teams finished last year, so probably about a 20% drop out rate of qualifiers versus turnups (if we add a very moderate 5 "extras" from Scotland/Wales to the 3x25 regional qualifiers.

You, Simon and others have allowed me to get a vague plan of "ease out, 1/4mile down, half to 3/4mile up, settles to 2m, down to 3m (though not feeling down), up to 4m (and certainly feeling up), and then some bits and pieces of up and down before a little climb at the finish, which I dare say will be like the southerns, which had a little climb into wind, round a bend, and then delirium of the finish, third lap anyway. Looking forward to a single lap this time, when it's done it's done.

Should be good. Slightly worried about talk of old men on bikes, ice cream vans, rosetta (or something) stones etc. I'm sure there's no way to miss a turning and be heading up north by accident ;).

Anxiety levels are already at silly levels, so i'll try and park all this so I can sleep tonight, and will see you tomorrow. On the road at 9am (!), and probably up at around 2.30 if my (dodgy) maths of 30mins for long legs and 20mins for short legs is anywhere near sensible (on leg 7). The first ladies should be coming in as I start, but there should be a good number of teams out on legs 5&6 to coincide with my last mile and half run in. I dare say the more company the better at that stage!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    There are three Scottish senior men's teams going, including Central who came 4th in 2015 even though they didn't have Andy Butchart because he was at a wedding.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Plenty of time to WALK the short lap, SG. Don't make my mistake of spending too much time on your feet. Easily done.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hang on, 20 mins for short legs, SG? Even I managed to do it in under 20 mins the year I was there, and I was really shit and am a woman.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Jamboree Stone, if I recall. And Lit is right: 20 minutes for a short leg? Typically 80 to 90% of the field are under that, and about two thirds are under 30.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Yes, probably a bit light on the long leg and heavy on the short leg, just for the sheer ease of maths! I'll be primed for 2.20 I dare say :)

Aley, i'll take that on board. The prep for the southerns was dreadful. In the gear way too early getting very cold, way too much wandering around. Anxiously topping up on Lucozade as it was outside my usual pre race eating plan.

This time, i'll sit about more, and not even get in the gear until an hour before, not 3hours before!

The only thing that seemed to work well was only doing about 1/2mile warm up and a few poser strides. Probably need better than that this time though.

It helps that I don't have a 90min drive with older relatives, to an older relative, and have that side of things beforehand!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    For warm up I have run the short lap...But walked the uphill parts!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

how "Uphill" are we talking.

Though not sure what mutual references we have. "Uphill" by short race standards presumably? Rather than those steep long hills our local half marathons have :)

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Get to sleep SG! 
  • Good luck to this weekend's racers and belated happy birthday to Lit.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Great day out at The National relays yesterday including meeting up with Stevie G off the internets.

I was managing our ladies team who finished in an excellent 29th place, which is a great effort considering the standard of the opposition including Laura Weightman and Susan Partridge.

I set off a bit early to get to a parkrun; Conkers in Leicestershire (tick off another on my 'quest' to tick off all the East Midlands parkruns). Usual pre-run nonsense before they set us on our way, very congested for the first 400m or so and I wasn't really feeling it, however, a little climb up on to an old railway line weeded out a few of the enthusiastic starters and I settled in to it. A likely looking lad ahead of me stared talking to the first lady about what she was aiming for ' Sub 20 was the reply', quick check of the watch suggested we were going quicker than that but thought I best get a shift on, first mile up in 6:08 and feeling pretty good. 

Marshal sends us up the 'cheeky' hill complete with sign and overtake a youth who I think is fading. Along by a canl in glorious sunshine and I hear footsteps behind me, it's first lady with her pacer 'we're currently doing 18:30 pace' he exclaims. 'So we are' I think but I'm feeling alright and we have short descent to get back to the old railway line so I push on and the second mile comes up in 6:04.

Back along the railway line and I'm gaining on someone infront of me, try and reel him in, then out of nowhere the lad I'd overtaken previously comes hurtling by...'uh oh am I slowing?' quick check of the watch and it still showing 6:05 pace so not sure. No sign of First Lady. Half a mile to go and I'm sure Sub 19 is on. Up a little hill (swear we didn't run down this earlier) then down the first incline round the corner and in to the finish straight and then seemingly out of nowhere some bloke comes monstering past me! Cross the line 18:49 on the watch - later rounded up to 18:50. 

Pleased to finally have got the sub 19 monkey off my back (that's been my 5k/parkrun time since July 2015. Felt pretty much in control throughout and pretty sure there's more to come.

Had a place for a local half marathon this morning but really wasn't feeling it when I woke up so gave it a swerve.         

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Tommy. That's just what I need to do!

Disappointing morning for me, only managing 39.52. I could tell before the first mile was up that I felt completely different to last week's 5 miler. I felt terrible (possibly not helped by a heavy and late night friday-I'm a sucker for a free bar!), it being hot, and being completely alone most of the race, spending the whole race from about 800 metres sat in 6th place. 

I just didn't feel I had that bounce to me I had last week so average pace ended up closer to half pace. Strange after waiting so long to break 40 at 10k to be bitterly disappointed going sub 40. 

So I've survived to taper time but none the wiser as to whether I'm in any better shape than last year. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Another post on the other thread Tommy, but sounds like a cracking day for you. Good parkrun, bit of management action, and an enjoyable day in the sun at a cracking event!

DT, that's the game old son! One minute you'd give anything for a certain time, the next minute you're disappointed to "Only" be at that level!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    my club came 2 but last yesterday.

I've 10 miles at MP in my schedule this week. I'm inclined to cut that to 8 miles, which is what I did last year. Does 10 sound too much 10 days out?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think 10 days is far enough out to do whatever you like, really. But equally it won't make that much difference if any so there's no harm in NOT doing it if you'd rather not.

I spent today marshalling at my local  triathlon due to the persuasive powers of Fifi1, who was one of the organisers. Because I'm a genius, though, I'd volunteered myself and a friend to operate a water station in a local farmyard where the farmer's daughter, a mini Fifi, could bring us cups of coffee and biscuits, and we could lounge around in reclining chairs. Slightly more fun than standing next to the main road directing triathletes down the track.
  • TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    turns out that mini thedan had other plans for Saturday, mostly teething, so rather than race i had a nice sleep
  • Good sort of marshalling Lit. Did you not even stand up and proffer the water? I hardly ever take any and feel sorry for their (probably)  aching arms. 

Excellent parkrun Tommy. Congratulations. I have no idea what was going on with the sub 20 pace though. 

I observed DT in this mornings race and he was indeed stuck on his own. The whole top 10 were quite spread out. I wish I could have been involved as the winning time was 36 something which I think I'd have been able to contest the lead. 

The good news is that I spent pretty much the whole day on my feet apart from swimming with the little 'un and there was nary a limp. I managed to see a physio Saturday afternoon and had some treatment and got strapped up. I was told I could cross train with cycling and rowing, and to return to running when I can manage half a mile of walking with no discomfort. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Are you allowed to aquajog, Muddy? It's surprisingly unboring and I actually still do it even though I don't have to any more.

The triathletes were quite spread out, so I was able to hear them coming, put my book down, leap up and hold out a cup of water as each one arrived. About one in three wanted some.
  • lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Good news muddy, sounds like it might be fixable.
    bad luck DT. As Lit suggests, do 10 or 8 or none; it won't make a great deal of difference. my session this week is 3*1 mile intervals.
    good Parkrunning Tommy - unlike you to pass up the opportunity of a multi- race weekend.
    I took advantage of the slightly reduced mileage this week to have a proper crack at a 5k pb attack at Stratford Parkrun. Travelled there with a couple young lads from the club and made them do a proper warmup of about 3 miles, after which they were worried they would be too tired for the race.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short I set off at a decent clip; felt quite comfortable until about half way; dug in; wove through the crowds as it's a three lap course and managed to hold until the end for a 16 second pb of 17:49.
    splits were 5:43, 5:40, 5:41 and slightly quicker finish.
    very happy with that, for the pb, but perhaps more importantly for the indication that I am 26 seconds quicker than this time last year and what that might mean over 42km.
  • Aquajogging is not an option Lit as the foot and leg have to avoid dorsiflexion. The pain is happening when the foot is unsupported. 

Great parkrunning Lou. I was in about 17.30 5k shape before I ran Hull...

Saw your clubmate Chris at the 10k this morning - he was taped up much like me with a shin issue. He came in 3rd and his shin appeared to survive.
  • I think Chris is suffering from a sudden and inexplicable shin pain. His comments on strava indicate he wasn't damaged further
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ooh, well done Lou, that's a spectacular PB. Were the young lads too tired for the race, though?
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Excellent parkrun pbs, Tommy and lou!  *party hat party hat*

Pleased to learn of hopeful signs of healing, muddy :)

I had a lighter running week due to band rehearsals over the weekend.  Total of 61km, including a session of "4 at MP, 2 at tempo" and another of 3 x 600m at mean pace of 3:55/km off 2:30 walking rests. Hard to comprehend that some of you can maintain that sort of pace for a half marathon and without rests!!
  • Lit - Both got pbs.
    Good sessions Pete - It's all relative isn't it.  I remember in a recent documentary about Mo Farah he did a 10 mile easy run on the treadmill in about 55 mins, while he was ill. Afterwards he complained about being slightly short of breath and sweating a bit.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good sessions, Pete. I am always slightly embarrassed to report a parkrun sprint finish when I realise it's only slightly faster than Muddys average pace for a half!

One things that has troubled my mind of late is the direct relation between gains in 5k for example and what you can expect to filter down as a marathon time. So by example, Lou is 26 seconds faster over 5k than last year, which is roughly 8 seconds per mile so over a marathon, on a direct application that would be 3.28.

Does an 8 second 5k gain translate exactly in to mara pace or could perhaps the gains be greater the longer the distance, assuming appropriately trained?

• I'm assuming greater gains DT:  Approximately 12s per mile.