VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• null
    Sounds very similar Rossi. Was physio much help? I'm going to go for a very slow 12 miles this weekend I think. Knowing the injury has healed will probably give me more confidence than finishing that 20 miler. Good luck to you as well, look forward to hearing how everyone gets on!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    3:30 is a great time to go for, even if only because the arithmetic is easy - 8 minutes / mile. Even a marathon-frazzled brain should be able to check pace every mile based on this!
  • Thanks Cougie and Harmander. 

Harmander - my stats are all recent as I only took up running a year ago. Look forward to chatting to you and your fellow pacers at the Expo. 
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Did last long run today - 28km (17miles). My club  mates surprised me with a gift of a running shirt with my name, appropriate London icons, a big picture of a birthday cake and on the back "Happy Birthday Adrian". How awesome is that?! (It's my birthday on 23rd)  It was a cool and comfortable morning and I was loving it all the way around. I even put in a 1km sprint (3:55) on a downhill section for a bit of fun and then finished the run with a mad dash (4:05km) being pushed by a faster runner.

Feels great to have done all the work - nothing above 12km for me now and I can start focusing on what I need to pack and how to manage the bored and cramped conditions of 24hrs on a plane.

Hoping to see if I can match on to the 3:30 crowd from the red start - but I guess I'll have to see if I'm in the right starting pen before I determine whether that's paced with a group or paced 'solo'.

At Chicago instead of pacing bands they had temporary tattoos with mile splits that were brilliant (GPS was hopeless in Chicago as watches went berserk in first few km's through city). I think learning from that I'll make sure I have a pace band in London and know I don't have to rely on GPS for pacing data.

Getting pretty excited here. Flying on Friday... can't wait!!!
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Physio did help me Katie. He realised I had slight leaning to my right which was causing problems. He's fixed that and also gave me exercises to do and 'touchwood' I'm fine now. It's certainly been better since I've been to see him
  • MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    I think I have a genuine injury! It feels like a sore patch from my heel going forward towards my toes for a few cm. it was first there after my 20 miler last weekend, took a few days until I couldn't feel it but then reappeared after a mile today. 

It went away during the run but hurts now. So I'm thinking of just resting now, maybe try a mile or two once the pain is gone when walking. Sound like a plan? I think it'll be ok on the day, it hurts but nothing too much and went away ob the run today.

typical! 
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    PF Mike?  Pretty serious if that's what it is.  Not sure if it would disappear during your run so maybe not.

Pace bands are no good for me, at my age I can't read them!! ;)

10 mile race today, ankle pain that I had during my Dec marathon came back so walked some of it in order not too make it worse.

Loving this taper time, most people hate it but I love knowing I've done all the long stuff and can now just do shorter runs :)

• hee hee... glad I'm not the only one who can't read the pace bands without specs!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Done 20.97 miles at 11 min/mile but did take a short break to refuel due to the heat.
    YTD =768.99 miles 
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    As advised by most people I spoke to, I was a good boy and didn't attempt a 20-miler today. Did 10 miles though, having not done much running on holiday. Have also picked up a cold, so 10 miles in the warm weather today, with a cold, was probably the equivalent of 20 miles anyway !

Either way, I'll turn up on the day having got rid of the cold and having not injured myself by running too far this weekend, and knowing that every mile after 16 will be the furthest I've ever run (or ever will again !!). 

Bring on the taper madness !!

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    KieranG, well done. When you say you'll never do it again, this is definitely how you'll feel in the last few miles and for a day or two........but give it a week and bet you're already thinking about the next one!
  • Well done everyone on the training.

Sounds like there are a few of us trying to battle some injury niggles. This IT band syndrome is so frustrating.

Keep the running easy, 2 weeks to go!

I'm hoping the weather is a bit cooler on the day than it was this weekend!
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Obviously a bit far out yet but weather for 23rd is saying max 14 deg, sunshine and cloud, hardly any rain and 30% chance of rain.  I'll take that :)
  • Glad to hear that Rossi. Well I managed a slow 12 miles yesterday even though the pain in my thigh came on after 3. I read somewhere that if a muscle is tensing it's because it want to tense, not be stretched, so funnily enough I found that if I stopped and pulled my knee up to my chest the pain would disappear for half a mile or so. Not ideal, but if it gets me through...Also I sped up towards the end and the pain was much better, which really doesn't make sense but if that's the answer, might just make the sub-4 after all!

Have booked into see physio on Wednesday anyway, will take all the help I can get right now!
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    RunCraig - ITBS is horrible, it's what forced me to drop out last year, and has lead me to being much slower this year. I have managed to avoid a flare-up this year as a result, so if it comes on at 20 miles on 23rd April, I'll just walk/stagger round to the finish - I wouldn't want to do that from 6 miles though, which is what would have happened last year if I'd not deferred.
  • Hello all, I have been keeping an eye on posts, I share your pain! Had an achillies niggle and have long standing knee problem but will get round! Also desperately trying to stop a cold in its tracks..feel like an old crock :o I can't read the pace band without reading glasses..definitely feeling old! 
    I did 17 miles on Saturday, planning 8 miles this Saturday.  I am travelling to London on the Friday, should be at expo by 3pm so will try and find you HS2 :)
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Hope the Physio helps you Katie. Got round the 13.1 kilomathon course yesterday in 1:07:52. Leg felt good on the way round which gave me a nice bonus. Feeling a bit sore and stiff today but I've got my foam rollering and stretching still to do so hopefully should ease off after that. Quiet-ish week in terms of running this week just to ensure I'm all good for next Sunday. Got my name on my running vest today which is
    making it all even more real now. Can't wait until next Sunday now. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, jumping over here from the Paris 2017 thread; just come back from a blisteringly hot marathon day over there (25 degrees C!) luckily long term forecast for London looks much more suitable for running.

In the Blue start for London and, dependant on recovery, thinking I might try and drop a couple of minutes off my Paris time.

Does anyone know if there's anybody who will be willing to take on a running companion to help each other through a sub 3:10 pace? After getting 3:12 in hot weather I'm wondering if I can get a Boston qualifier when it's cooler but may need someone to work with to keep consistent.

I know the RW pacers are every 15 mins but thinking there might be "unofficial" pacers out there too.

Cheers
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I ran 3:09:58 last year at London and would have happily "joined forces" with you this year, but I'm running Boston on Monday (yey! can't wait!) and therefore will mostly be running London with all the speed and energy of a sloth who's just smoked a bifter.

Did I mention I'm running Boston on Monday?
  • Nicko81,
    Suggest you follow the 3:00 pacer within sight till halfway and then take it from there - Am estimating that they will be at halfway in 1:28 leaving you 1:41 to do the second half
  • I'd think pacing yourself may be easier than going off at almost 3hr pace. That way always ends in paaaiin. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Rodeoflip - good luck on Monday, hope Boston lives up to expectation.

Harmander - thanks but I don't think I can hold on to a sub 1:30 half pace and still have enough to complete the 2nd half - my recent half mara time was only just faster than 1:31. The 3:00 guys should be 25 secs per mile faster than my target?

Cougie - agree, I think I'm better going consistent than going for a positive or negative split; the problem I face is getting the consistent pace.

Maybe I'll just try and make a friend in the start pen.
  • KieranG: "RunCraig - ITBS is horrible, it's what forced me to drop out last year, and has lead me to being much slower this year. I have managed to avoid a flare-up this year as a result, so if it comes on at 20 miles on 23rd April, I'll just walk/stagger round to the finish - I wouldn't want to do that from 6 miles though, which is what would have happened last year if I'd not deferred."

Yes it is horrible. It only decided to play up on the last long run of my plan, so all of the hard work of the training plan was already done. Really don't want to defer as I can't put my family through all of this training again next year.
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all done by last long run at the weekend. Still Achilles pain which is not going away. Will mean lots of drugs to get me around I'm still hoping for sub 4 ( few second) but it's my first so I just wanna complete it for my amazing charity 
  • Nicko - get a watch with a timer that repeats itself.  Set it to 8 mins (or whatever the calc is) - start when you cross the line - if it beeps before the mile marker you need to speed up a bit - and vice versa.  You'll have like 25 intervals to judge your pacing. Simples. 
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Think cross training might be the best for me up until next Sunday. Slight niggle in my right thigh has returned. Don't want to aggravate it and make it worse before the marathon. 
  • Cougie,
    That is exactly what I do as a pacer - but without the timer repeat, I just look at my £5.99 Argos stopwatch or the mile clocks and spend the time to the next mile working out exactly what time I ought to be get to the next marker - saves me getting bored or switching off.
    This year for example I should be doing 11:22 a mile to get to 4:58 finish, I will probably aim for a 11:15 a mile or 45 mins every four miles to allow for any variance due to drinks and weaving around runners who are slowing down ahead of me.
    It has helped me to run laps (our training routes are loops) to get the pacing right.
    Good luck everyone
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I will end up just working on a per mile check and trying to adjust accordingly; just a lot easier to find someone aiming for similar.

We'll see how it goes, I might not even be rejuvinated in time to hold a pace anyway!
  • Nicko, I'll be starting off green (No 28169) with an indentical plan (7:15m/m pace for a sub 3:10 finish)

Confident of doing this as I ran 2:57 last year off a 22 mile training run @ 7:00mm pace 3 weeks out - ran the same 22 miles @ 7:18 pace the Sunday before last so all looks OK

I'd be happy to meet up with you when green and blue starts converge?
    null
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Great! I'm #2023, will be in a black prostate cancer vest, bald headed ugly guy.

Might be tough to pick each other out and would have to be pretty lucky to converge at the same time but let's give it a go.

That's a great training pace btw - I almost never go sub 8:00 on my long runs - just seem to always get my faster pace on race days.