New Marathon Stirling Scotland

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Water stations will be approx. every 3 miles, with maybe the first at 4 miles.  Those are the requirements with a UKA/SA race permit.     Sometimes race organisers will put in more water stations especially if there are likely to be a lot of novice runners or very hot weather.

There's never any need to carry water in a marathon
  • Shades - thanks for this. Your reply brings much relief and comfort.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    TBH, unless you have a favourite route which happens to be 22.75 miles, don't get too fixated on the exact distance, more important to bang in a few runs at around 20-miles ish, and the slower the better. And don't be a slave to the plan, life is meant to get in the way, it's only running. A run here or there makes no difference, marathon training is all about the cumulative effect of all of those runs you've done. Be very careful to minimise injury risk at this stage - you've got to push it a little, but any injury in the next few weeks could prevent you from starting. It's better to be fit and healthy and (slightly) under-trained than over-trained / tired / injured.

Re water stations, no idea and the website doesn't mention them. I would expect to see water stations every 2-3 miles, but another option is to carry water with you. I wear a waist belt on marathons, mostly to carry gels and a few jelly beans, but it also has a water bottle pocket, so lets me carry water or not. Maybe something to consider?
  • Rodeoflip - the distance is basically due to me running laps... one lap less is 18.75 (so 1/2 way round is not far enough). Point taken with regards going a little slower and esp with regards injury. Shades (commented earlier this morning and informed me that water stations will be approx every 3 miles throughout (starting possibly 4miles from the start). I will stick with my glucose tablets and will seriously consider a waste belt which would allow me to take a few other sources of energy.

Thanks again for your advice. Very much appreciated.
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Hi folks I'm running the Stirling marathon too.Im starting to think about parking and getting to the start line.out of my previous 5 marathons only loch Ness and Edinburgh  were point to point,and they put a bus on or there was a good transport network.Wondering what everyone else plan to do on race morning as the start line is in the middle of nowhere.Im planning on travelling up in the morning with my family but my wife won't drive in places she's never been or I would get her to drop me at Blair Drummond 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Jokeybhoy - I'm going there on a chartered bus with my running club so can't really help. But I'm sure someone will be driving out that way from Stirling and could offer a lift? Not sure how much a taxi would be, but it's a fair distance out to Blair Drummond, so wouldn't be cheap.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've not seen anything about water stations either, but from memory, they have to provide water every 5k.  However, having seen some of the feedback from the Brighton Marathon where slower runners found the water stations had been cleared by faster runners taking bottles to drink and to tip over their heads, as a slow runner I'll be watching the weather forecast and possibly taking some as a backup.

With a 4 hour finish time prediciton, you should be fine. :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nessie - Brighton ran out of cups so had to hand out large bottles instead, but they hadn't provided enough water anyway.   Definitely not the fault of the runners. 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there another marathon somewhere (Edinburgh?) where the water was put out in advance and got nicked? In any case, if water is a major concern or if it's really hot, definitely think about some kind of waist belt so you can bring your own or else keep hold of a bottle after drinking some out of it, then if the next water stop has run dry then you've still got half a bottle full?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification Shades - I didn't know that. 

I don't do well in heat at the best of times, so will definitely be taking backup water if it looks like it will be warm. As in >12degC ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nessie - apparently Brighton had only calculated one cup of water per runner, some of the cups were only half full so of course in hot weather you would want more than one each.  Most marathons they will offer you as much water as you want, which is how it should be.
    If you think it's going to be too hot for you take a small empty bottle you can always fill this at drink stations and if they run out of water ask shops/pubs/garages, even householders will happily fill bottle for you.

>12 degrees :D  I've run marathons in >30 degrees and I still don't carry water, although I would drink more than usual at drink stations in that heat.

rodeoflip - yes, one year Edinburgh had some water stolen, but they didn't replace it and then apparently put some of the water in the wrong place, like Brighton they knew in advance it was going to be warm.
    I've never done Edinburgh because I don't think they know how to organise a marathon.   The year of the water debacle they stopped runners and wouldn't let them finish so even those that were running well and on for sub 4:30 PB's weren't allowed to finish.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I have to agree re Edinburgh marathon, piss ups & breweries spring to mind. Ran it twice, and am in no hurry to do it again. I think that if the Stirling one is successful and happens every year then this will have a major impact on numbers at Edinburgh.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    And obviously when I say the Edinburgh marathon, I mean the one that starts there, avoids any of the sights and leaves as quickly as possible, never to return. You know, the Musselburgh marathon..........:)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's the biggest criticism of Edinburgh is that you end up at Musselburgh and you may never get a bus back to the city.   They should make it an ultra and run the 8 miles back, at least you'd know you could get there then.

BTW the same bunch of cowboys organise Bournemouth marathon in case you think of doing that one, lots of lousy reviews of that race.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    That, and all the other things they just get wrong every year. Edinburgh is one of the world's most dramatic cities, chock-full of iconic landmarks. There are 101 routes through Edinburgh which would be really special, but no, their route takes you out along a nondescript coastal road and under a power station twice. Actually you have to give them credit for managing to come up with such a crappy route in such a nice city.
  • SmudgerncfcSmudgerncfc ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Ahh the Great Run event?  That is what put me off, along with the course details that you guys mention. I don't like repeating sections. You pay for  26.2 miles and that's what you should get at an event that is priced accordingly.

I am doing the Fort William Marathon on July 30th, as I have heard from locals that this is the best Marathon in Scotland. 

Oh and thank you for the comments on Bournemouth SHADES. Do you have any more info on this (where I can find said lousy reviews)?  I have a current void in my year's plan for October and Bournemouth was on the list for consideration.  Looks like that narrows it down to Budapest or Leicester on October 15th then.

Smudgerncfc's 10 Marathon's in 2017
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Smudger - I haven't done all the marathons in Scotland but I think Loch Ness is a brilliant marathon.   I haven't done Fort William and not planning to do so as it's not road, which is my preference

Re Bournemouth we had a discussion about it a few weeks ago on my training thread.  From other runners I've been told the course is poor, goes up and down the sea front, one part I think you run 3 times, and another major complaint that after paying £50ish entry fee there's another £8.50 they sting you for a bus fare, as the start and finish aren't in the same place.   Then someone else said that there were lots of complaints about the race, poor marshalling and I've forgotten what the other complaints were.

I've done Budapest and loved it, was hoping to go back this year but have run out of budget but am definitely going in 2018.   Closed roads, interesting route past lots of impressive statues, buildings, good value entry fee, I really enjoyed it.

I've done Leicester too and like that marathon a lot, quite a varied route and a good event.   It's a couple of years since I've done Leicester but you used to run past the space museum, how many marathons do you get where you can see a space rocket!    I have no interest in space but I do like to see varied things while running.
    I expect they will suffer on marathon entries as Birmingham is the same day but the half marathon should support the event.
  • MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Rodeoflip - how did you get on in Boston?  Happy recovery!

Re: transport - I'm sure most of you have seen by now that there are buses being put on from Glasgow and Edinburgh to the start line, and I'm sure there are shuttles from Stirling town centre as well.  Not ideal, but let's be fair...we knew where the start line was when we signed up for it, so we really should've been giving this some thought!

Now that I've received my number and seen how the loops are going to work, I don't mind it.  Like Stephen said a page back, there's a timing mat  on the right hand side after the funnel to help catch those 'forgetting' to do the right number, and the finish appears to be tucked away.  It'll be messy not knowing who you're actually racing as people shoot past you and you shoot past others (hopefully!), but we're in for a good crowd support for more than just the last mile or so now!

As for Scottish marathons...of the bigger ones, Loch Ness is brilliant.  It really is.  Fort William's on my to-do list, it looks great. 

Edinburgh is poo.  Soul destroying route, exploitative transport when you consider the local buses are both closer to the finish AND cheaper, and I wish someone would let them that finishers shirts are available in colours other than blue!

Edit: Smudger, not sure if it works for your schedule, but I quite enjoyed Chester last October.  It's mainly quiet country roads but you do get a good bit of cheer through some small villages/hamlets.  Start/finish on the racecourse is quite cool, too.
  • Chester could be an option. The final Marathon that I choose (for Marathon Number 8 of 10) has to be either the 8th or 15th October, leaving me 3 or 4 weeks before NYC Marathon.

Budapest is definitely the preferred option if I can afford it.  The two days that I am spending in Liverpool this May plus the travel is likely to be not too much cheaper than 5 days in Budapest in October.  I grew up in Leicestershire, so that could be a potentially cheap option for me and I have a friend in Poole who I used to do Business with, hence why I was considering that as an option, but I think that if I went down there then I would likely spend a similar amount to what I would visiting Budapest.

The first Birmingham Marathon for years is another option that I considered, but I would prefer to wait until the new HS2 Station is built to see if they change the course as planned.

Thanks for the info guys!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Hey Meadower, just got back from Boston. Amazing experience, loved every second of it, can't recommend highly enough. The city completely gives itself over to the marathon, and it's like no other race I've ever been to. The fact that it's run by a running club, and everyone is wearing the jackets & shirts, the fact that literally every advert you see in the city is running-related, the fact that everyone is so glad you're there (we had several people we met at Heathrow afterwards who were American, and made a point of coming over to us and thanking us for running in their marathon). Even the school buses to the start are cool (yellow buses as far as the eye can see on the motorway), the crowd support, the girls at Wellesley, and the atmosphere as you go through the hills and into Boston. Everything about this race is great, I would dearly love to go back. But perhaps a year where it's not melting hot (it was unseasonably warm on Monday), I fell apart completely in the heat. I was gutted because I didn't want to be walking but I didn't have any choice, I just had no energy at all. Was secretly dreaming of sub-3, just managed sub-3:25 and even then was taken away from the finish line in a wheelchair. So it wasn't the performance I had hoped for, but the event lived up to everything I could ask.
    I can't wait to go back, and hopefully will have another chance to.
  • MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    Smudger, I think I'd choose Budapest over anything else if I could as well!  Hope it works out for you.  

Rodeoflip, I was already sold on the idea and you've done nothing but encourage me with that!  Well done on toughing it out on what sounds like a brutal day (apart from the girls at Wellesley, of course).  How are you feeling ahead of Sunday?

Was at the physio last night, who diagnosed hamstring tendinopathy.  I can run this weekend but then take a break for a 2-3 weeks while I do a few exercises to activate the problem glute.  Relieved it's as fixable as it seems to be.  Stirling's probably too soon but I'll be okay for it.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Meadower, at least you know what you're dealing with and as long as you can run Stirling then that's great. Not looking forward to Sunday, it's going to be slow & painful, but can't complain too much. I'm still getting to run London. I never thought any other race could beat London in terms of occasion and atmosphere, but if I had to choose between them it would be Boston. If I ever get the chance to go back, I'll do it in a heartbeat. Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Regarding the water, the water and isotonic stations are clearly marked on a map in the magazine for the race that comes with your number. Mine arrived at the weekend and all is good. First drinks station is just after you turn the corner into Balkerach Street in Doune.

Training for my first marathon is going generally pretty well. Had a cracking run from Edinburgh to North Berwick at the weekend. That was my second 20 miler and have also done a 16 and 18 miler. Got the Great Edinburgh Run this weekend and then one final long run of 22 miles the following week with the usual mid week runs, then the taper begins. A few niggles here and there that i'm living with, but hopefully i'll have a chance to drop them during the taper and with a decent sports massage.

Just need to sort my footwear out as the shoes i have been training in (Saucony Triumph ISO 2) are wearing at the heel a fair bit quicker than I expected. 250 miles in on them and there's no tread left on the outside heel.

Well done on completing Boston rodeoflip. Very cool. Would love to qualify for that one.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Peter, one option re shoes might be to use your Sauconys - 250 miles isn't that high a mileage, and they'll definitely be broken in, so have you thought about Shoe Goo or equivalent? If the midsole / cushioning / upper are still in good shape, then you might be able to get more out of the soles by applying shoe goo? I've tried it and it has worked well for me.
  • I have approx 350miles in my Karrimor Tempo4 trainers and just bought another pair as I feel the "spring" has gone form these... as stated previously I am a complete novice at marathon running. I did 22.75miles yesterday before work in 3hrs 21mins so will hopefully complete within my 4hr target. My problem is chafing. Both sides around my armpit are red raw - very painful. I was wearing proper running gear but the top has vents and I think the seems might be rubbing. Can anyone suggest a good top? Additionally, if my trainers are sh*te please let me know... they feel not bad but I have no idea what to look into.

Rodeoflip - sounds like you made a massive effort and even aiming for sub 3hrs - wow!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Flash - chaffing - try Vaseline or equivalent, this is the easiest way to prevent. Liberal application on any areas likely to be affected. If you look carefully en-route, there may even be medics giving out Vaseline (they'll be the people wearing gloves offering things to runners which aren't edible!). If it's your armpits which are suffering, maybe try running in a vest? - this will also help with keeping you cool. On marathon day, you are likely to be too hot, regardless of the weather, because of the effort you'll be putting in. Loads of people will be wearing vests (maybe half?) because they're generally more comfortable for running in. Obviously I'm talking about a moisture-wicking synthetic vest, not a cotton one which will absorb sweat. Any decent running vest will do, doesn't have to be expensive.

Don't know re trainers - Karrimor are more of a value brand, and there's a bit of "getting what you pay for". But as long as they work, that's all that matters. If you're run 350 miles in them then they're well broken in and may need replaced within a couple of months, depends on loads of things (running style, cushioning wear, etc.). Unless there's holes in the upper or the rubber has worn off the sole, it's hard to tell when shoes are past their best, and often the first sign is niggling problems with legs or knees. If you're planning on doing more running then you'll be buying shoes at some point, so I would buy a new pair now and see how different they feel to your old ones - if they feel much better then your old ones may be past it. If not, then you've just bought your next pair a little earlier than you might have otherwise. It's a good idea to have a few pairs and rotate them anyway, lets the shoes (and cushioning) recover between runs. If in doubt, go to a decent running shop and talk to them, maybe even get them to analyse your running style and recommend something suitable. It's not the cheapest way to buy shoes, but if you just buy a random pair because they're cheap or you like the way they look and they turn out to cause you problems, then you'll wish you'd invested the time / money. The wrong shoes can make running miserable, so buy the ones which suit you best, and a running shop is a good place to start. BTW, when I say a running shop, I don't mean a Sports Direct or JD sports, I mean a shop where the staff run and they don't have their own brands to promote (Sports Direct own several brands, including Karrimor).

Well done on the training run BTW, just take it easier now until the day itself.  
  • Thanks Rodeoflip. I intend going to "run for it" in Glasgow at some point over the weekend to have my gait analysed and possibly purchase alternative trainers. I will see how this goes. As far as running tops I feel comfortable in a long sleeve... I intend repeating the 22.5mile run on May 1st and will then reduce down over remaining period before the race... I will "slabber" a load of vaseline on affected areas (mostly around the armpit ) as well as try the Stirling Marathon training top which bough a while ago (but never worn). I will also seek advice and possibly buy a "better" top from Run for It. Again - my top is Karrimor brand and purchased from SD.

I paced myself a little better this time and felt good at the long distance. I have warned my better half that this marathon is going to be the 1st of many.

thanks again for your very much valued advice. This is very much appreciated.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    3 and a bit weeks to go, got my race number in - no. 99! Easy to remember if nothing else. Can't remember what time I estimated I'd do it in, but I seem to have a yellow / white striped number?

Ran London on Sunday, was still suffering from Boston on Saturday, legs were a bit stiff but blisters were in a poor state. Decided as late as Saturday evening that I would run, but with no expectations. Taped over the blisters and took more painkillers than was probably wise. Ran with 2 other guys from my running club, both in their 40s, one of whom was really keen to go sub 3:15 and GFA. I set off from the green start with the same guy who ran Boston with me, we consciously slowed down every mile or so - no concern about pace, other than making sure we didn't get sucked in to a pace we couldn't sustain. I can't remember how many times we said "there's the 3:15 pacer, let's let him go, we don't want to anywhere near that pace". I seem to have one speed and one gear, I can run at that speed but find it hard to slow down or to speed up. Then amongst the 38000 people we bumped into our GFA-seeking mate at about 7 miles (which just confirmed that we were going too fast). The three of us ran together then, side-by-side through the route, over Tower Bridge and through Docklands (great pictures of us all running together). No pace band, no target, really loved just chatting and high-fiveing the kids, the miles just flew in. Every water stop I would run over and grab 2 or 3 bottles to save my mates from having to swerve over, and I'd throw them the bottles over, which became a bit of a game in itself. At about 20 miles I was really starting to hurt, but I realised that 3:15 was on if we kept the pace up. Our mate had ran ahead by this point, we'd said to him not to wait for us, so the two of us got the heads down for the last 6.2 miles. According to the VLM website, over the last 7.2km, 25 people overtook us but we overtook 499 people, which is a great statistic. Crossed the line together in 3:14:25, which way way beyond any expectations I could have had (and gave me GFA). Running with my clubmates with no pressure meant I thoroughly enjoyed the whole race and it felt fairly easy - I had ben really worried about running 2 marathons so close together, but was over the moon with how London went. Only bummer was that it turned out my mate hadn't gone ahead, he'd actually dropped back, and finished in 3:16 so no GFA. Absolutely gutted for him, I know how much work he'd put in. He got a 10-minute PB so still an awesome result, but not the GFA he wanted, and there wasn't much we could say to make him feel better. But the whole day was amazing, reminded me why I love VLM so much. I have been really lucky to be able to run Boston and London, next up it's Stirling. Actually really looking forward to it - don't think we'll have the baking temperatures we had in Boston, and I should be on fresher legs than I was in London, so bring it on!

My blisters are now X-rated and would put anyone off running. I had blood coming through the front and heel of my shoes from about 10 miles and it felt like I had a load of stones inside my shoes for the rest of the way, so I knew my feet wouldn't be pretty when I took the shoes off (and they weren't). Still, blisters are temporary but glory is forever (or something like that). Today is 2 days later and normally DOMS means that I struggle with stairs today, but actually I feel fine. If it wasn't for the shocking state of my feel I reckon I could run today, so hopefully this is a good sign. Maybe there is something to this strategy of taking it easy for the first 20 miles and then running hard for the last 6 - who knew?!

As an aside, I saw that they're running free shuttle buses from Stirling town centre out the start area, makes sense. Hope everyone's training is going well, and see you guys there!
  • 1st class Rodeoflip! I probably wont see No.99 on the day - my number has a white background and I start at 9:10am. Your feet will hopefully be ok by then.

Is your race number the same number as your chip? Mine differ and I am starting to wonder whether I need to contact them or not.

I am gearing up for another 22.5 mile run on 1st May before relaxing down... probably 18.75 then 15 on the weekends before the marathon. I am getting butterflies thinking about it already so will need to be careful that I do not expend too much nervous energy on the day.

Good advice regarding pacing yourself throughout the run - until the end :smile:
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Flash - re number being the same between number and chip - dunno, will check tonight.