2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Evening. :)

Teknik: Nice jogging today, hope you enjoy reconvening with your old club.
    Fiona: Nice going on the intervals last night, and the morning run, good stuff.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

Pretty much the same as yesterday, and by 'pretty much' I mean 'near-exact the same as yesterday,' which was 1 mile run plus 10k cycle.
    Have a good day. image
  • Great performances  in the Manchester Marathon!

So far this week I have ran 5 x 4 mile treadmill runs, 2 x 2 km on rowing machine + 2 x spin classes + 30 mins weights during my gym sessions on Monday and Wednesday. 2 days rest and I will see how I perform in my Park Run on Saturday. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Fiona! Not sure if my body is even capable of going that fast.
    Ollie, is it working?

I decided to pop out for a little run today, seeing as I can now walk down stairs properly. My left leg isn't bad at all but the right has been tight all week. I have walked a couple of miles every day but nothing else.

I did a little walk to warm up then two miles very slowly (averaged 11:11) then another little walk back down the hill to my house. I enjoyed the lovely early morning light and the fresh air (well, as fresh as air can be in London) even if the running was a bit iffy. My sports masseur told me I shouldn't run this week at all but, eh, it's a lovely morning and I think he's being over cautious.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Evening. :)

Sub17: Cheers, nice going on the gym sessions.
    Cal: Sorry, is what working?  Good going on the morning run, great that you're able to get out and enjoy a gentle session.

- - - - - - -- - - - - - -

1 mile plus 10k cycle as per usual.
    I'll be starting the P&D recovery plan next week, and that should hopefully transition into my next marathon schedule.
    Have a good day. image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your well wishes they are appreciated, 

Cal, take it easy for the next few weeks, I know doing to much so soon after a marathon increases the risk of injury
    Ollie, the streak continues, I like the P&D recovery plan it will get you to the start of the next marathon campaign fully refreshed and raring to go.
    SM, sorry to hear about the DNF at the weekend, fingers crossed you can get back firing on all cylinders soon.
    Fiona, speedy intervals, good to get the legs turning over in the taper.
    Tek, enjoy the Easter break and running with the old club, I would bet they will be glad too see you back.

-----------

An aborted run on Monday I got around half a mile in and the calf went into spasm again, I've got a physio appointment next Wednesday and I have decided not to test it again until I have had it looked at, so it been back in the gym and on the elliptical trainer for me this week. 
  • Running Paris this weekend as my first marathon. What do people usually eat in the days before a run/morning of?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ollie - I meant was the cycling and 1 mile runs helping your recovery?
    Stewart, I hope you get that calf sorted quickly.
    Supermoose - I don't eat anything. Just black coffee. Most people think I'm nuts, though. :D I just suffer from a horrendously slow digestive system so eating anything at all causes me discomfort when I run. I can take gels so I do that during the race.

Just yoga today. I did a class yesterday and it went much better than expected (I was only really limited in a couple of the poses) but the class today was awful - the room was far too hot and humid and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Oh well.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Fiona good pace for the 400s and nice easy 5m
    Ollie nice streaking and bike commutes
    Sub17 nice training and good luck for the parkrun
    Cal well done for getting out for a couple of miles, and well done for slogging through the yoga
    Stewart that's bad luck again :| !
    Supermoose don't overeat, don't consume too much fruit/juice, and try to eat only what you're used to - difficult in a foreign hotel, I know, but if you normally have cereal for breakie, have cereal.
    --
    Just a few easy runs this week, aiming to get a longish run in tomorrow and some short treadie reps Sunday.
    ---
    Weekend Races 

09/04/2017 Paris Marathon        Supermoose
    09/04/2017 Brighton Marathon  Rocco, CuthburyKid

Good luck everyone :)
  • Thanks Teknik looks like Brighton is going to be a warm one, just got to trust in the training now and take it nice and easy enjoy your long run Sunday 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had a good yoga class yesterday, with an instructor who is also doing Liverpool, and we had a nice talk about that after.
    Today I was planning my first "proper" run post-marathon, and with the gorgeous early morning weather, the blossoms on the trees and the fact I'd been itching to run again, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I ended up doing 10K (I always work in miles but the .2 took me right to my front door so, why not) and whilst I wasn't paying much attention to pace, I actually ran most of it at around MP. The post-marathon soreness has gone now and the only niggle was my grumpy left glute, which is always a bit grumpy anyway.

I felt so good that I signed up for the half I'd been mulling over (Richmond on 30th April). It was my first ever half marathon so I have an attachment to it and wanted to do it again. It's gun time so I don't think a PB is likely but it'll be a useful marathon sharpener (and I'll easily beat my previous times there - I did 2:11 two years ago).
  • I ran 18:00 in my Park Run including a 20 second stop to triple knot my shoe laces. I could not win my Park Run because 2 elite runners decided to run sub 15 minutes in a Park Run, so I decided to take it easy in my 93rd Park Run. Next  week's Park Run will bring me another step closer towards 100 Park Runs. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Where did everyone go? How did this week's marathoners get on? I was definitely glad I'd canned Brighton in favour of Manchester - it looked tough out there. One of the slower girls in my club said they ran out of water by the time she got to the power station. That must have been miserable.

4 easy today. Pleasant morning, a little cooler than yesterday. Legs were definitely fresher yesterday but it was a nice enough run.
  • Cal - I'm still here, I'm just not running so not worth posting! :D
    Sounds like Brighton was a bit of a shambles, and isn't it one of the more expense British marathons at that?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah it is. Nearly £70. Which I paid, but I have zero regrets about deferring. Not sure I will even go for it next year, since the deferral only gives me a small discount. I saw a video of the course and wasn't too impressed, especially that grim industrial park towards the end. When you're experiencing the most painful miles of a marathon, you don't want to be running amongst a bunch of industrial units with no shade and noone to cheer you on.
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Well done Sub17 on the parkrun.
    Stuart I hope the cross training is going well. Any idea when you will get back running?
    Cal good to hear that the legs are recovering well. Sounds like a great decision on the choice of marathon! Reading about Brighton it sounded grim for some.
    I did a couple of runs at the weekend. 8 miles on Saturday with some faster miles then Sunday was 14.6 miles easy round (and round) the woods. I woke up yesterday with a really tight calf so no running yet this week - turbo instead both mornings and I'll try a run tomorrow after work but just don't want to take any chances at this stage. 
    F
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, Fiona - my calf has been a bit tight too, so took a rest day (well, a yoga day - not really rest). The sunshine was calling me but I resisted temptation...
  • Cal - That sounds like my hometown 10k! And I love it  :) Then again I only have to put up with it for 40 minutes or so!

Fiona - Good couple of runs, and a good idea to back off the now. Nothing to be gained now!  :) 
    I plan to start running again in 4 weeks (I can run, it's no worse than it has been early this year), hopefully achilles will be significantly better. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Stuart, I tell you, the one time I got rid of achilles tendonitis fast was when I had the cyst removed from my foot. I could hobble around on my heel (the cyst was on the side of the ball of my foot so I couldn't put my forefoot down at all) but wasn't allowed to go out for three days so, since the London Olympics had just started, I put my feet up and watched TV. Tendonitis cleared right up!

Another 6 miles/10K done today. Exactly 1 second slower than Sunday, so I guess I'm consistent at least.
  • Hi, I hope am posting this in the right place but please let me know if not and I will move it. I have just finished my first Marathon (Brighton on Sunday) which didn't go quite as I'd hoped (4:16 - I had hoped for a sub 4) and am keen to do another, so have been looking at my training log/plan to see what I need to change. I followed the Runners World sub 3:45 plan but have been recommended to try a P&D plan next time which I am looking at.

When I look at my long runs, particularly my 22 miler - they seem to come in at 8.25-8.30 overall pace, often ending with a couple of sub 8.00 pace miles. At the time this gave me confidence that on the day I would be able to stay within 8.30-8.40 pace, but the reality is that I wasn't even close and by mile 13 I was exhausted.

Did I run my long runs too fast? Or is it just that weather aside, it wasn't my day? I think a lot of it is down to lack of experience, heat and overestimating my capabilities (the people on the Brighton thread have been really helpful) but I think it's also no bad thing to try and learn from Sunday's race and make changes to future training cycles.
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Katelotte, welcome aboard

You raced all your LSRs, I am in the same pace range as you and would do my LRs @ 9:45mm - 9:30mm pace, given your paces you should have met your goal time, however it was a bit warm at Brighton on Sunday.

P&D is a great book and the plans cater for all levels, good luck and please stick around.
  • > @StewartC said:
    > Katelotte, welcome aboard
    >
    > You raced all your LSRs, I am in the same pace range as you and would do my LRs @ 9:45mm - 9:30mm pace, given your paces you should have met your goal time, however it was a bit warm at Brighton on Sunday.
    >
    > P&D is a great book and the plans cater for all levels, good luck and please stick around.

Thanks for the advice - good to know. At the moment I'm looking at the Berlin marathon next year, so plenty of time to work on endurance etc, get my plan organised and practice on some half marathons.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hi Katelotte. You did really well to cope with the conditions at Brighton - most people ran slower than they wanted to.

I had a lovely sunny run today. Two miles warm-up, two miles at MP, a breather mile, three miles faster than MP and a cool-down mile. I seem to be recovering well from Manchester and am looking forward to my half in a couple of weeks.
  • Cal -  Hopefully by the time of your half you'll get the benefits of the marathon too. After Manchester last year I felt a bit crap for a couple of weeks, then almost overnight felt like superman. I knocked 3:15 of my HM PB 7 weeks after Manchester, and that was only set 3 weeks before the marathon!

Katelotte - I'd agree with Stewart, it sounds like you were racing your long runs. Saying that even if that was the case, if you can do 22 @ 8:30s, progressing down to 8s then you should be able to go quite a bit quicker than 4. What sort of shorter times do you have?

• Stuart Martin 6 - I ran a 1:46 HM at the beginning of March and my 10k is around the 47 min mark (although hoping to train and improve my 10k times over the summer). I am looking at the Berlin marathon next year, so have got plenty of time to build a really decent endurance base before training and will hopefully use a P&D plan.
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    SM, good to see you are on mend, keep up with the x-training I know it is boring but it will keep the fitness levels up.

Cal, a cracking run so soon after Manchester, which bodes well for your HM.

Fiona, no point risking an injury at this late stage cotton wool time.

----------------

Managed a short test run on Monday around the track between body pump and body balance, it was enough to know that I could try 2 - 3 miles later in the week, which I managed last night after my physio appointment.  

so 3 miles out and back along the canal, it was a bit windy and cold.  
  • Wow, lots of high achievers in here, good work! For those who find themselves going through highs and lows in their training, be assured you're not broken! It's normal! My best advice would be, listen to your body.

You know yourself better than anyone else. If you are feeling tight and sore one day then cut training short/do something lighter like Cal, yoga is great for runners. If you are feeling great then do a bit more. Don't beat yourself up about changing the plan every now and again. Just keep Doing, don't Overthink, and you will be fine.

Good Luck to all those running this weekend.
    You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take- Wayne Gretzky
    www.CoachPhysio.com

Apply to test a 8 week coaching program to improve your running here (only 8 spaces left for free!)
    We cover Mindset, training and Injury Prevention

https://goo.gl/forms/dDYOnEZjmFjanFIs2
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds promising, Stewart.

Not so much for me - niggly glute was really quite angry today. It's the hamstring tendon (basically high hamstring tendinopathy) - it's never been more than a nuisance, really, but I suspect I may have overstretched it in yoga. I decided not to go to my intermediate class today and did some strength work at home including some glute stuff and it felt a bit better after that. I've nixed the idea of parkrun tomorrow and am going to marshall instead, then will decide whether it's OK for a longish run on Sunday. I was planning on doing some hills but that might be a bad idea if it's still not right. We'll see.
  • Today in my Park Run I was unable to sustain effort again. I got through the opening mile in 5:30 but I finished in 17:58. Park Run #94 complete!
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    S17, getting close to the 100 now, 

Cal, hope the glute/hamstring niggle sorts itself out and I hope you managed to get a run in today.

-------------

The same 3 mile run on Friday as Wednesday and a 4 mile loop alongside the canal this morning, feels like the calf is behaving but won't push it too hard, the Achilles still niggles a little at the start of the run but does settle within a few minutes.

I got my number through the door for Stirling yesterday, feeling a little sad I won't be doing it.
  • Desperately seeking advice re the London Marathon next week and a newly found hip pain... hip pain on set during todays 7 mile taper run, it hurts more when i run than when i walk and not at all when stationary, id probably say the pain is a 4/10, so not severe but still definitely present.
    Already decided to try just resting and stretching this week, and will also likely try and see if a sports massage makes any difference.
    Assuming i decide to run and just grit my teeth, whats the likely outcome? This is my first marathon and its safe to say I am absolutely terrified.