Injury and the effects on mental health

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    TT said:
    Thanks MsE, I think I need to approach it the way I did my marathon training. One day at a time, do not look at the next day just do what it says for that day.
    That sounds a most excellent way to do it. 
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Haven't read all the posts but I'd been looking for somewhere to vent too! I stopped regular running nearly 2 years ago. After lots of physio & exercises at home, I had an mri that confirmed chronic degenerative tendonopathy ( aka wonky knees!).

I'm still only able to run the odd 2-3M run with a couple of days rest to let my knees recover & long for the days when I'd go off for an hour and cover 6M or so.

I work overlooking a beautiful park which is often full of joggers & I feel very weepy at times as I don't know if I'll ever be 'fixed'.
  • @MsE this is an excellent link.  I've always heard about people aquarunning but would never really know a way of going about it.  It's something I would like to try, for future.

@ftm42 welcome to the thread. I know chatting here has really helped me, and made me realise also how my wee injury pails into insignificance next to others'.  It's odd how our minds work and how something as seemingly trivial as not running can have such a profound effect - many non-runners won't really understand, even some runners themselves won't 'get it'.  The unfortunate thing is that for most of us, running has been our means of 'coping' either due to previous diagnosis of depression, or because it just makes us feel so damn good.  When we lose that coping mechanism, it's hard to know where to turn.  As many here have suggested, finding another (hopefully temporary) outlet can help, such as cycling, gym, yoga, aquarunning etc.  Are these an option? Has your physio said that your condition can be reversed (will it get better)?  Sending lots of best wishes your way, and know that you can vent all you want!

I've been getting back to mara training and should be ok to run on 1 May.  Needless to say, mood levels have increased dramatically recently - a long weekend off from work will help as well.  Have a good Easter all.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Ftm42, welcome! As happy bunny says is there any chance of replacing running? I am walking 5 miles each morning at the moment which at least is getting me out. Also started talking to dog walkers, they are a friendly bunch! 
  • TT said:
    Also started talking to dog walkers, they are a friendly bunch! 
    That made me giggle, as I'm a dog walker myself - when I'm not running of an evening the dog gets a good walk.  Funny though, how when I walk I think of it as my thinking time, but running is more my 'headspace' time in that it stops me thinking (think I must be concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other sometimes!).
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Happy bunny I understand exactly what you mean, running means I have to concentrate on my feet.

I am going to try this challenge over the next few weeks:

• Such a valuable thread! Most people don't recognise what impact running (or any sport) has on their psychological health until they stop doing it. But don't worry, you're not broken!

It's the reason so many professionals hit rock bottom after stopping professional sport, they go in search of something to replace that "high" which sport brings. Unfortunately, people search for short-lived highs such as gambling and drinking so things start going downhill pretty quickly.

Try and think what exactly it was that you got out of running, competitive aspect, training against yourself, freedom to do it wherever, peacefulness, the social aspect, and then find an activity/sport which has those qualities. There will always be something you can do to replace running. Don't think too much about it, try something new, if its right for you great, if not then you are one step closer to finding your new passion. You only lose when you stop searching...
    You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take- Wayne Gretzky
    www.CoachPhysio.com

Apply to test a 8 week coaching program to improve your running here (only 8 spaces left for free!)
    We cover Mindset, training and Injury Prevention

https://goo.gl/forms/dDYOnEZjmFjanFIs2
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I cycle to work but it's not far, walk the dog as much as poss & have invested in an outdoor table tennis setup which gets the whole family outside having a blast!

Nothing beats going for a run though so am trying to do little & (not very) often to keep my hand in.

It should get better but as it took 3-4 years for me to realise that the pain wasn't down to getting older & assuming arthritis, it might take a while to recover. I've done all the bucket list runs earlier in life so don't need to prove anything. 
  • Hi ftm42, it's good that you are still keeping active and haven't dropped everything.

Be confident in yourself, even though it took 3-4 years last time. You did it, so you can be confident in your mindset that you can not only deal with this, but much quicker than last time because you have already done it before!
    You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take- Wayne Gretzky
    www.CoachPhysio.com

Apply to test a 8 week coaching program to improve your running here (only 8 spaces left for free!)
    We cover Mindset, training and Injury Prevention

https://goo.gl/forms/dDYOnEZjmFjanFIs2
  • TheSianzTheSianz ✭✭✭
    TT said:
    Hi Sianz, have you tried aquarunning? People have recommended it to me and I am going to look at a classic in a couple of weeks. It is meant to be really good for injured runners!! 
    I haven't! I don't know how to even start, I'd like to. But also think I might get funny looks by the elderly people at my local pool clogging up the lane :/:)
  • TheSianzTheSianz ✭✭✭
    ftm42 said:

I work overlooking a beautiful park which is often full of joggers & I feel very weepy at times as I don't know if I'll ever be 'fixed'.
    I get this every day! I'm out of my boot now but my foot is not right at all :(
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem when I see a runner. At least I have a consultant who has said six months after surgery I could be back to competitive running. At the moment I am not running so by having surgery at least I am increasing the odds of running again. 

I have also booked some swimming lessons, this might be the one time in my life I have time to learn to swim front crawl properly. 
  • ftm42: have you tried volunteering at your local parkrun? It's helped me hugely when I've been out of running for months at a time due to various injuries (e.g. torn posterior tibial tendon, broken ankle - both from non-running accidents) and I've seen it help other people as well.

Anyone tried meditation or mindfulness?

• This is a solution for all of you

http://www.backsense.org/resrch_pg.htm

please read it througly and also you can read some of free pages of the book like i do...
  • Anyone see Mind over Marathon on BBC last night? Brilliant :-).

Injury wise: My x-ray came back clean, talking to dr later today about next steps (MRI hopefully). I think I've self diagnosed it thanks to this link as a Calcaneal Stress Fracture (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/calcaneal-stress-fracture). It's a perfect match for symptoms and treating it as such is certainly helping. My mood is a lot better as a result.
  • @Slowfoot good news about getting closer to diagnosis and that has lifted your mood.  The uncertainty sometimes is what makes things more difficult - if you get a diagnosis and a good idea of healing timescales it'll maybe help having a goal to work towards. 

I've recorded Mind over Marathon, but have seen bits of it in trailers and think it's going to be a real tough one to watch.  Hope they show how they actually did in the marathon in the 2nd part this week.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you happy bunny a diagnosis makes life much easier. It is the not knowing which is really hard. 
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Just watched mind over marathon. It is not often I am moved by a TV programme. I am seriously thinking of sending the link to my LM and saying this might give you some idea of how I feel about not running. What an amazingly brave group of people. 

Also tried aquajogging last night. I really enjoyed it. Fab to move my legs in a running way!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Slowfoot and TT - It was an excellent programme and the whole campaign by the royals is going to do so much to destigmatise mental illness and raise awareness which is wonderful.  The connection between movement and making mental resilience bullet-proof will hopefully help many.  

Any news on your hip surgery, TT?  Glad you enjoyed the pool running.  Did you use one of the Pfitz workouts I suggested?  I am having ankle surgery on Thursday and plan to use those to build back some fitness before I am allowed to run on dry land.  A coach I know ran in water exclusively for 6 months and then ran a 5K PB as soon as she was able to run again.  I doubt it translates into the longer distances but it is certainly effective at keeping you fit enough.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    September for surgery, May for other procedures. There has to be a set number of weeks between the two. Found out the hospital has an anti gravity treadmill!!!!!! MsE for aqua jog I went to a class, just to try it out. Will definitely start doing the sessions though. I am just relieved I have a date and know what is going on. I do not cope with uncertainty very well. 

I also think the DofC and PH endorsement is going to really move mental health into the 'norm'. I would like to see one of them run the London marathon next year, I am sure they are fit enough!!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    TT - OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!  The Alter G Treadmill is a brilliant tool to use.  You are so lucky! I have used ones in the past and it is a wonderful invention.  Once you can get beyond feeling like you are Wallace wearing The Wrong Trousers when you pop those shorts on, you will feel like a runner again.   :)

I am not sure if you are aware but England Athletics are working with Mind to establish Mental Health Ambassadors around the country.  There are many registered nationwide.  A great resource for anyone struggling with mental health issues and who is or would like to become a runner. They are there to listen and provide support.  You can find a list of ambassadors here: http://www.englandathletics.org/clubs--community/mental-wellbeing/mental-health-ambassadors
  • @MsE good luck with the ankle surgery on Thursday - hope it all goes well.  I agree, the royals getting behind the Heads Together campaign has been fantastic, especially Harry and William talking openly about coming to terms with their bereavement and how it's effected their mental health.  

@TT glad you've tried aqua jogging - was that a class you attended locally?  I must look to see if we have any here in N Ireland.

I'm running my marathon Monday.  Very nervous.  My previous plan was to run for a mental health charity here but when I got the injury I was worried to arrange it in case I didn't make it to the start (and finish line!) - just didn't need any extra pressure.  

Watched the first part of Mind of Marathon last night - excellently done and thought Nick Knowles was neither condescending or cam across as knowing all the answers, which some do sometimes when doing programmes like this.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MsE how did it go???? Any news on when you can put weight on it??? 

Happy bunny the call was at my gym. I went for a swim today and as the pool was so quiet grabbed a belt and did 20 mins. It is tough to develop good technique so that is all I am concentrating on at the moment.  
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    From home to hospital back home in 12 hours. May have to do something about being forced to watch Horrid Henry but otherwise all good! 
  • >> ✭✭✭
    I have not had mental health problems but I have had several years where I could not run.

I would recommend a 'mindfulness' course / book. I was sceptical but it has really helped me.

I think with some problems (like chronic injury when nothing workd) our minds go into overdrive in a 'doing' mode - so u can see physio a, specialialists, alternate activities - but when there is no solution (like chronic injury where nothing works) this overdrive mode can dip u into a depression. You have to learn to accept difficulties and relax.

To be honest running and injury are so common. When I started running again, several years later, I threw away the watches and deleted strava for good. I train in a different event on the track and leave all the sessions to the coach.

X
  • >> ✭✭✭
    If you Google doing mode  and being mode, there might be a good explanation of it with mindfulness
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MsE so pleased you are back home! Netflix?'Amazon prime? 
  • @MsE that's an impressive cast! I really do hope you get to watch more than Horrid Henry.  Peppa maybe?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Still resting and elevating the ankle here.  Hope everyone is well and in a good groove.  I've been researching return to running articles to keep me occupied. I have come to the conclusion I will need to treat it as if I am a newbie runner given the time off for this and injury history.  A bit like post-pregnancy return to running in a way, but without the dodgy pelvic floor  ;)
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    MsE I think starting again is a really good idea. Just​ think of all the mistakes you made last time and try to avoid them, assuming here you are like me and made many mistakes!!! All those new PBs! Glad to hear you are motivated to come back k to running.