My Last Run

Comments

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    That's a beast of a PB, Cal!  Many congrats  :)

9pm and time for 8.1 miles of dark running on trail, path, beach and promenade in Waterloo & Crosby.  Dark blue canopy picked out with twinkles light years away; mysterious lights in the long abandoned port radar tower; and meeting a couple on a bench snuggling under a thoughtfully brought blanket. 
  • :) nice description swittle

7.6km yesterday evening at sunset for me.  Tried to do it as a fartlek exercise with 1 km warm up, 5.5km variations on pace and 1km jog home.  Quite enjoyed it - picking out markers in the landscape just as I felt like rather than watch watching..  Pace varied between a very sedentary 9kmh and 14 kmh (short bursts).  Also added some mobility exercices - skipping, kicking my heels up, tip toes etc.. 

Naturewatch: a heron and two woodpeckers.. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Very poetic, swittle! Hazelnut, I hear woodpeckers all the time where I am but I don't often catch a glimpse of them. They seem quite shy.
    I'm sticking to short walks at the moment - I am still very sore.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Just catching up... Cal that is a massive PB. Huge well done and carry on resting those legs!
    I've been away since Sunday with the old man for a belated anniversary treat.  Stayed at a bland corporate hotel in Surrey that was cheap on Groupon but had an awesome swimming pool :-) Did a little 4 mile run yesterday. 
  • Walking sounds like a good idea Cal.  It took me 6 days to go for a short jog after my flat marathon last year and that still hurt.  Moving house probably didn't help though.

Nice break Nessie.

The usual Tuesday outing for me yesterday with 10.5km in around 1 hour.  Wonderful spring evening.  Kept the effort down to a sensible level to have a chat with one of the guys.   Cycled to the meeting point again.   
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    6 miles in the twilight in Epping Forest tonight with the club. Great run
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sounds lovely, Nessie! And Hazelnut. I'm glad we're at the time of year when evenings are a bit lighter and more pleasant.

I did a tentative two miles at dawn. Legs are still grouchy, the right much more so than the left. But it wasn't that bad really. I went very slowly (11+ pace) and stretched after. Hopefully it will help rather than hinder.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal! I did a cheeky 4 mile progression run this morning whilst the kids did not notice ;-)
  • Cal - good you are getting out - keep an eye on your running style - you don't want to pickup any extra niggles from hobbling due to excess pain.

Good time management as ever Nessie.

10km for me yesterday afternoon after a stressful work day.  2.5km warm up at relaxed pace, 5 km tempo, 2.5km back home.  Set off far too fast on the tempo stretch but soon calmed down.  Another pleasant spring day with a quite brisk wind. 
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    The fantastic weather continues here as does the school holiday :-) So it was an early 4 miles in Epping Forest with my running friend this morning. Gentle as she had a hangover and I have a 10 mile race on Sunday :-)
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Ye, the weather's shaping up here over the Mersey but I'll not be running 'til it's dark, today & tomorrow.  It's the softness of the contours and unpredictability of what the ambient light does to them - oh, and the peace and solitude too.

Good racing, Hazel, and the same to you, Nessie for t'morrow.   :)

464 days
  • Have a good race tomorrow Nessie. Running in the woods is lovely at the moment - lots of flowers including masses of violets and wild garlic.

Enjoy your runs swittle, in the dark I also enjoy paying attention to my other senses as my night vision isn't the best. Rustlings in the undergrowth - ok you won't find too much of that on the beach, different scents and even variations in temperature. Twilight is one of my favorite times to run when daytime nature is quietening down and nighttime nature not yet out in force.

20 km for me yesterday in a bit more than 2 hrs.  Quite a lot of hillage - 4km generally downhill, 6km of up and up and back again.  Was very tired by 17km had to give myself a talking to to keep running.  Good practice for coping with tough races. 

Around 40 miles on the mtb today.  Still tired - not sleeping too well the last few days.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck today, Nessie - is that Fullers Towpath 10? I entered that in 2013 but my mother managed to die the day before so, understandably, I didn't make the start.
    Hazelnut, that's some impressive mileage. My sleep's been crap too. I woke up just after two after what seemed like a nightime's worth of dreams and couldn't believe it wasn't time to get up already, so I made myself go back to sleep and then woke up again just before 4. Decided I was bored of sleeping then so I got up.

I've done yoga every day since Thursday and I felt ready to run today, so went out just before 7 thinking I'd do at least 4 and ended up doing 6 (10K, actually) and thoroughly enjoying myself. The sun is gorgeous at that time, especially with all the blossoms still out and I found myself grinning away. I was just happy to be running again - the post-marathon stiffness has gone and I actually ran faster than intended - around MP for all but the first mile.

I was so happy with the run that I entered the Ranelagh Richmond half on April 30th. It was my first half back in 2011 and I ran it again in 2015 so it's a special race for me and I was umming and ahing over whether I should do it, but based on today, I don't think it would be too much. Since it is gun time, a PB is unlikely (a course PB is a cert, though, barring mishaps) but I'll use it as a sharpener.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal. I'm a bit out of the loop. Tweaked my Achilles tendon about a week ago so been resting it. Second test run back and though sore at the start once it heats up pretty good and not limiting me. So full 8miles in about 59mins. Will keep nursing it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh, JT, that's no fun. When I tweaked mine at the insertion point last Autumn, my physio told me that as long as it eases during the run, it's OK to run on it. I got a 10K PB a few days after it started acting up and it eventually cleared up on its own, so hopefully you'll find the same.

4 miles easy today - legs not as fresh as yesterday but it was a pleasant enough morning (if a little windy!)
  • Hope it doesn't get any worse JT. 

You're recovering well Cal. 

I hope Nessie is ok after her race.

Not long to go until you have reached 500 days swittle. ;-)

Sunday: hiked up a mountain (and flew down it again) - met a hill runner at the top whilst waiting for the wind to do what it was supposed to.  She had already been out for 2:30 hours and still looked very fresh. 

Yesterday evening: hillyish 7.5km.  Unusually OH came with me despite his cold.  I think he is starting on his annual 3 runs prior to the local 10 mile race in a few weeks - last year he was only 15 seconds or so slower than me.  He does cycle quite a bit though.   We kept an eye on the clouds as there were heavy showers / thunderstorms not too far away and heading in our direction but  these dropped their loads of wet before reaching us.   It is very dry here - there have been various small fires in the last few days.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

You seem to be on a roll, Cal, and you're right about the weather being fresher.

Keep treating that Greek demigod well, JT, and you'll soon be back to normal. 

Intra family rivalry!  Adds spice to any event, Hazel! 

Yes, 500 days beckons but I don't have the same zip of anticipation as I did with Streaks 1 & 2.

A later run today, as I don't need to be in college until later: 4 miles past the collapsed drain, up over a sand hill of some volume, along the prom and over the coastal park before heading home.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Hello all
    So I did the Fullers Towpath 10 on Sunday (yes, it was that one Cal). It was a scorchingly hot day but a beautiful route along the river, well organised and supported and flat as a pancake. Got a PB :-) 1.27, a minute and a bit off my old PB. Although a ten mile PB is easier won than a half, due to the fact that I've done 20-30 halfs, and probably around ten 10 milers.  Still, I was very happy with that and I also beat my brother by a couple of minutes, which is always a bonus :-)
    I took Monday off and today I was at a club track session which was a relatively easy 12 laps of sprint 100m on the straights / jog 100m on the curves.  
    Cal, shall we try to meet at the Ranelagh Half?? Are you on FB?
    JT- good to "see" you
    swittle- hope you are having a relatively quieter week at work due to students being off?
    Hazel- some great variety on your training, keeps you on your toes! I am having to be creative this week and fitting around my youngest- for example, tomorrow she's got a friend coming, and I'm altruistically taking them both swimming ( aka they'll play and splash, and I'll shamelessly ignore them and do some lengths ;-) )
  • Just had one of the usual stumpy commute guide runs with my tame T11. 5k in about 28 minutes including all the usual Sheffield traffic. Ditched the boy wonder onto the tram home and now drying off at work.

Decided to comment as i want to use this as a date marker. After a really disappointing race on sunday (1:52:35 at the Sheffield half), Anthony is still moaning. And i know deep down it's because i've not put enough into our training.

So, dig deeper, build and for me, get my diet back on track and shift the useless weight i added over the winter.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nessie, well done! I like 10 milers for that reason (and the fact they're three miles shorter than a half...)
    It would be nice to meet up. I am on FB although it's set so only friends of friends can contact me (I had to do that when I was teaching to stop the kids from finding me). Might be easier for me to find you? Are you down as Nessa with a photo of a dolphin?

Hazelnut, at least he's not faster than you, eh? That would be really annoying! :lol:

swittle, I love your run descriptions.

Welcome, Moke. :)

Another 10K done today, 1 second slower than Sunday. That's consistency for you! 
  • Nice PB Nessie.  That is an impressive number of halves (and 10 milers) you've done.   It would be nice if you and Cal could meet up - have you met before? 

Thinking of such Cal - if you are doing the Liverpool marathon you could maybe meet swittle.. ;-)  But I expect you won't have the time / energy. 
    My OH would be faster than me if he trained but he has other priorities.  20 years or more ago he apparently used to run 10k in around 40 mins (whatever "around" means - but he is not the boasting type) .  He gets his revenge by cycling up any hill bigger than a molehill much faster than me.

Hi Moke. 

10.45km with the Tuesday group.  9 of us out which is a good number, with one new guy who fits in well pacewise.  Cycled to and from the meeting point for the third week in a row.    
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal - yes I am the one with the dolphin. Add me! 
    Today was a fairly speedy 1k swim (due to needing to get back to thekids and play with them ;-) ) and later a 6 mile club run in the forest and a wonderful trip to see the secret bluebells snuggled away in the forest, in the short window that they're around for. Beautiful

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've added you, Nessie! I actually found you by looking for your club page and figured that was you as you're a teacher. :grin:
    I must admit I'm envious of your runs. My local commons are nice enough (I'm really enjoying all the blossom trees right now) but not quite as pretty as your bluebell woods.

Gorgeous day today, though, so I had a good 9 mile run at a relatively brisk pace. Two warm-up miles, two MP miles, a breather mile, then three faster than MP and a cool-down.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Nessie, I, the teacher of yesterday, am interviewing the teachers of tomorrow, and enjoying the mute phone bell and the faint echo of catch-up students competing with my Lou Reed retrospective.

Thanks, Cal: revisiting a run and trying to translate the sights, sounds and feel into words is like an extra mile!  My racing days are over but I used to enjoy the 13.1 miles around Liverpool's matchless landmarks - and got quite close to 1:31 one year, now long distant....

A healthy group, Hazel - and fine cross training too.  :)

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent week swittle :-) 
    Cal, speak soon about meeting!
    No running for me today- just 8 miles on the bike, to my woman who does my sports massage, and back. I'll be AWOL for a few days as I'm away with the family for the long weekend in Sussex. We are going with my best running and swimming buddy and her family, so there will be PLENTY of run / wild swim action going on, as well as chocolate eating and cider drinking. Have a good Easter MLRers :-)
  • Sounds like a good Easter outing Nessie. I wandered over to your club's FB page and had a look for the bluebell pictures - lovely! Good stuff otherwise.

Just being nosy swittle why don't you race nowadays?

Nice 9 miler Cal.

I caught OH's cold unfortunately. Just a blocked up nose so still getting out there, but keeping the effort level sensible.
    7.77km on Thursday with some gentle hill repeats trying to keep an even pace on each bit of uphill.
    23 km undulating today - OH came with me for the first 9km before heading for home. He did 14km.  I had set out to do 22 so good to add an extra bit with no struggles. Felt much easier than the hilly 20km of last week.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hazel, I enjoyed 25 years of quite regular event running and recorded times I didn't dare dream of when I started.  Now, I prefer the peace and solitude of running at my pace under my terms.  In this way, I can regulate my aches, pains and twinges. 

Well done on your mileage today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    So things haven't been going well. After that 9 miler (which I thought went great) my high hamstring niggle flared up and became really quite angry. After three days of rest (no running or yoga, just short walks) it is no better so I thought, sod it, I'll try a run anyway. I did 6 miles at a very sedate pace. The ache is there, but it's not worse at least.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    How are you on hamstring stretches, Cal?  Hope improvement continues.

9 yesterday evening: cool but not cold, dusk giving way to night, and perfect for darkrunning.  Across the park, stand aside as two young cyclists carried bikes down the footbridge steps.  2nd circuit of the minor lake, headtorch caught the sapphire yellow eyes of a sleek Alsatian who dismissed me with sniff and low bark.  Firm, level sand, a kaleidoscope of lights illuminating and warning on the rigs in the Mersey channel; soon to the leisure centre, one car, five teens, low profile.  Blundellsands dozing through Easter night, a cut back by lumpy trail to a tilting beach reprise and sand-free prom, and trail transfer to unaccustomed tarmac and orange luminescence.  At the footbridge, two more teens glad to chat with mutual respect - rare.  Parkie's final shout, gates locked, so sides two and three of triangle brought me home.