Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrunning all round.

GM your bit of coast is beautiful and probably warmer than mine. But such a lovely day here that I actually went for a (slow) run on the beach. Very windy.
  • sscssc ✭✭✭
    OO - by smackdown I'm hoping you mean me tucking in behind for some expert pacing !
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - Sounded like you had a decent run but the course doesn't sound like one where you would go to aiming for a fast time.

OO - Very good parkrun again. Is that a harder course than Whitley? Iirc that's your local one?? Taper time will be good to freshen up your legs in prep for next Sunday. Good that you don't have travel that week too. It has come round so quickly, almost feels like it has snuck up on us. I'll make it to Chandos one day!!

Poacher - I must admit that before I came on here I had never heard of Northumberland. I think it might have been yourself and Minni that mentioned the place a few times and I had to google it.  Nice photos!That looks like a very nice stretch of sand to run on. I'm guessing you are very close to the beach where you live? Do they do a Sandman race on that coast? It rings a bell with me. The bay I posted pictures of is about 3.5 miles from one to the other and is a popular surf spot. It's pretty wild and has some nice sand dunes on the opposite side of the coast road and a nature reserve, there is lots of wildlife about the place. I know you like your ultra's, so if you ever fancy one in Jersey there is one every summer. It's called Round the rock check it out on here http://www.roundtherock.co.uk/ 
    I've run most of the course but never in one go. It's pretty spectacular. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Popped out for a sunset 8 mile run along the prom tonight with a pal. Plodtastic pace of 8:30mm. North west coast cliff path run tomorrow morning with the same pal with a hearty breakfast planned afterwards. It's stacking up to be a good week mileage wise for me and should top 40 miles. 
  • Poacher - great pics. Very envious of the opportunity to run in such a beautiful part of the country although we're also spoiled for choice (as long as you like hills and canals rather than the beach!) in sunny Surrey.

Ref your comment about sub-3 - TBH I really don't think I'm in sub-3 shape at the moment, with the recent 1:28 and a bit at Fleet testifying to that. My aim to get to Tower Bridge feeling comfortable at 7 min mile pace to feel confident of a PB and the see how much I can push on once I get to the Embankment. I feel I went off a bit too quick last year getting to halfway in just under 1:30 and paid the price in the second half.

The assault on sub-3 will have to wait until the autumn - the dilemma is whether to enter Abo or have a go at Valencia which happens to fall on my 50th birthday!

OO - upstairs at Chandos sounds a good bet but knowing how my legs will feel, please save me a seat. I'm on the GFA (as opposed to the FGFA) this year so will be running off the Green start.

GM - looks and sounds like we should all have a trip out to Jersey. Stunning views and sounds great fun. Only been to Jersey once before and that was over 25 years ago. Round the rock Ultra also looks very tempting although it clashes with the Athletics World Champs in London this year.

I had a rest day planned today but as younger Lorenzito was competing in the Southern Athletics League down in Hastings, I took my kit along in case the team was short of runners and they needed someone to toe the line to pick up a couple of points.

As it was I ended up being the B string competitor in, er, the triple jump and the discus, neither of which I had done since my 3rd year at secondary school. At least I got three valid jumps in and then two valid throws before getting carried away, adjusting my technique and overbalancing out of the discus circle. :/
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Fab, Lorenzo: chuckled at that!

Off for 13 in a bit. Gorgeous sunshine awaits!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Apologies for the flying visit - but loving the photos!
    Snuck in a short 3 easy miles yesterday morning before heading off to London to see Wicked for Miss GD's birthday. 6 mile progressive this morning (8:14 to 6:28 m/m) to make 64 in total for the week.
    Happy Easter everyone! Such a wonderful time of celebration.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    PMJ rutted field would slow me down a lot so decent time for the conditions, sure you linking the media will get swift action at the potshot range too.One of those clays on the head and it's going to be serious.
    0054 great parkrun burnup.
    Poacher nice place for a run alright.
    Gerard nice easy run for you.
    Lorenzo all round athlete that you are well done.
    Jools enjoy the sunny 13.
    Gul nice progression run enjoy the show.

24 rainy miles this morn at 7:35 m/mile average.
    3m easy then most around 7:30 with the last 4 as hard as I could , 7:04, 7:11, 7:18 and 7:16 to finish was all I could muster .4 miles of tough hills in the first half then from 10m to 22m was the actual marathon route (walled city mara)  with the hills there in the 2nd half as well. 65.7 kg after so at race weight !

92 miles for the week. 
  • Here's one for the album. This is where I started my run this morning, then 5 miles south-west along the Lower Icknield Way, a couple of miles south-east and an uphill pull to get on the Ridgeway, 5 miles north-east on the Ridgeway and then a rapid descent back to the start to complete the rectangle. 13.4 miles at a respectable 7:40 pace pretty much all off-road.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Leslie - Very impressive stuff! Those miles on the course will stand you in good stead come race day. Well done!

Lorenzo - Haha, that's classic. Fair play for getting stuck in. I dread to think of the damage I could do with a discus, I have a terrible aim.  :)

Gul - Happy Easter to you too and everyone else! 

Jools - Enjoy your last longish run in the sunshine before applying the cotton wool next week. 

Another spectacular run this morning with a pal. Set off at 8am and headed up to the Northwest coast which has breathtaking views and some really steep cliff paths. Did 5.35 miles in 60:14, so about 11:15mm pace. Some of the sections I was wogging as my legs were tired and I'm not used to that but it was marvellous. Even went into the sea afterwards for a bit of leg recovery, although only up to my thighs. Enjoy the rest of the w/end all. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - X-post. That's a very good run, well run. I thought of you this morning when I was out on the cliff paths. There is a shooting range just about a mile or so from where this pic was taken and my pal pointed out some shattered orange pieces. It was clay debris from the range. 
  • Leslie H said:
    24 rainy miles this morn at 7:35 m/mile average.

Impressive.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ye gods, you're all flying!  Legs were a bit tapertastic and ploddy this morning.  8.14s.  43 for the week.  Cotton wool time now!

PS: Leslie - when is your race?
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Happy Zombie Jesus day everyone!

OO – Great Parkrunning

Nice photos Poacher PMJ + GM

Les - Excellent long run

I’m just back from 7 miles at MP+ 20% then a hilly 10k race in 37:49. I’m pretty happy with that after my recent illness, and 9 miles yesterday including an 18:33 Parkrun.  My muscles were also a bit sore after a heavy weights and drill session. Now it’s taper time.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Happy Easter threadsters!  

Just catching up... ssc, I can also vouch for Abingdon. You will have a great race there.  It is a nice club run affair and a good mix of people on a flat and fast course with a nice stadium finish.  It is lovely finding your identity and focus in marathons. So many of life's problems are resolved during my training runs, there is something about marathon training that gives a wider perspective. 

Lorenzo - sounds like you had a good trip to Budapest and are running well with hopefully some confidence you have the pace from your recent interval session and MP paced session.  Having run marathons with you twice, I agree that building up more gradually may work better for you to maintain pace.  I think you could manage an evenly split 1:29:59, 1:29:59  ;) !  Well done on your triple jumping and discus throwing. That made me LOL!

Excellent news following the missus's scan, Gul!  Now if you could just sort out a new HRM so we all stop worrying about you keeling over on a run.  Happy birthday to Miss GD!

Great result from your race, Birch, with a timely reminder to watch what we eat when we eat.

Looks like you are in with a chance of another good race next week, Jools.  Keeping fingers crossed for you and your achilles.   Great stuff on the 13.  Still within the aerobic zone.  

GDawg - hope you do yourself justice on Monday.  You have prepared well and are ready for Boston!  Good luck!

Any chance of the fruit bowl making a return outing, Poacher?  You and Minni have some wonderful landscapes to run in.  Is it very exposed and windy everywhere or just down by the coast?

Those pictures are absolutely stunning, Gerard.  Looks like your runs and milage are gently creeping up. Time to sign up to another marathon perhaps? That 8 year old boy you accompanied at parkrun has got serious wheels!  I didn't know Jersey was any good for surfing.  Do they host any competitions down there? And I knew you would be a strong looking chap!  Be careful losing weight as you obviously pack strength in that unit.  I love trail running as it works your entire body.  It is much more effort mentally too.  Hoping to be back out there when my ankle is fixed.

Still not a failure on the parkrun effort, PMJ. Something tells me you'll be back to claim more scalps sometime soon.  Excellent paced MLR and off-road too.

Excellent parkrunning from you as usual, OO.  When my wheels are fixed, I shall have to get some tips from you. As for the taper, I drop the volume to stop depleting the glycogen stores but keep the intensity so as to maintain that feeling of being primed for race day.  Seems like you are nicely primed for racing so it is a case of hanging into that feeling and not using your fuel so you are fully topped up next Sunday.

More great running from you, Leslie.  I really hope you have a great race because your training has been a pleasure to share.  

Good to see you back in action, BB.  Excellent 10K time especially for a hilly course. And a solid parkrun time.  Now rest!!!!!!

Just ticking over here with my daily yoga and pilates and the odd run bringing my weekly average to 30ish.  Nothing spectacular but I am managing to get back into double digits thankfully with a 13 miler today averaging 8ish m/m.  I am aware I can't go fast or too long with this injury so am grateful I can run for more than 90 mins now.  

Looking forward to watching Boston tomorrow.  Anyone know how we can watch it live?
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    PMJ a proper windmill ,nice offroad 13 at a decent pace. Happy with my run but not quite shelling peas yet ,24m is such a long way !
    Gerard well worth the tough climb for the view .
    Jools enjoy the rest ,my mara is 4th June (7 weeks today) Goodluck for London .
    Badbark nice bit of racing to taper with 
    MSE thanks and good to see you are getting the miles in again.
    Gdawg smash it !

• Impressive pace on the long run there Leslie - just need to make sure that you don't overdo it at this stage of the campaign.

Another cracking photo GM and a great sounding run - presumably you can run to a great stretch of coastline from wherever you are on the island?

Glad you're managing to get some running in as well as the general conditioning MsE - was there any sign of the injury recurring after having run 13 miles? Are you going to be spectating on Sunday?

Great 10K Badbark - are you going to make it to Chandos on Sunday?

Nice last run there Jools - I know how you feel about the legs feeling heavy. Make sure that the cotton wool is of good quality.

10 and a bit for me this morning - a few hills but kept the pace and effort nice and easy apart from a sub 7 min / mile last 1.2m. 41 for the week in total.
  • Forgot to say - sending large amount of good luck vibes to G-Dawg across the Atlantic. Can't wait to hear how Boston is as I very much fancy doing it next year.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Boston. Tricky course. A must-do race. Joining in with the good vibes and hoping runners avoid heartbreak on Heartbreak.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Well done on your continued excellence regarding exertive non running activities and great news that you are hitting the 30's for running. It was so cute running with the youngster on Saturday, he was so focused and listening to me almost all the time. His Mum messaged me to say that he learned so much and really enjoyed it. That made my day. Don't worry I'm not going to shed too much weight, I've found a lovely balance in terms of my running, diet and general well being but I reckon once I enter my marathon training phase i.e. almost double the mileage I usually run on a good week I'll hit my target of 72kg for the marathon. I've signed up for Amsterdam in October and that will be my only one this year. Re surfing in Jersey - It's hugely popular and the bay of St Ouen which stretches 3.5 miles roughly along the west coast has many different favourite breaks. I spent my first summer here in 96 with a group of local boys and we surfed and camped out most weekends. I'd say it's more akin to Cornwall (I've never been but seen lots of photos and tv stuff) than say Pipeline or Mavericks. The majority of the young local outdoorsy type boys spend most of their winters travelling the globe in search for sunshine and waves, total bliss! Do you surf? I stopped in my late 20's and was never at a serious level. As I've become older I seemed to have lost that "no fear" that I had when younger. I still love to watch it though. Re Boston coverage. There is normally a live link on Letsrun.com. I've managed to watch it most years via there but I bet PMJ would have some insight into a backdoor entry?

Badbark - A great days work! Well done sir! 

Lorenzo - Yes the WC's this year, oh wow! I'd love to see something like that! Nice run today to enter the taper phase. I'm also thinking about Boston but need a gfa first. Hopefully I can secure that in October. My mum's sister lives there and I'm the only member of the family on both sides not to have visited. It would be a perfect excuse to. :) 

Leslie - Was it your intention to run 24? I've only ever run 23.5 in training and that was mistake and was meant to be 22. Your pace for that run must give you great confidence.

G-Dawg - I've said once and will say it again, Go you tomorrow! Have a strong run! Can't wait to hear about it. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good tapering guys, and I agree about the heavy legs- my 13 miler was very flat indeed. Hopefully the next week will allow us all some good recovery time. Take care and enjoy the Easter break.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 with strides early doors.

Good luck G Dawg :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    MsE - Re the Boston marathon coverage. Try this link below. It is the Boston local news channel. It seems to be working fine on my pc at the mo and I think I normally watch via that channel. I am quite excited and looking forward to seeing Jordan Hassay make her debut and Rupp in the mens race too. :) 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/show/cbs-boston-live-video/  
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I tested the link and it seems to be ok. There is lots of chat in the build up and adverts, hopefully the coverage of the race is good on there. I think I may be out while it is on.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Lorenzo nice fast finish 10m ,trying not to overdo it but the p&d schedule is tough especially when runs need shifted about to accommodate work 
    Gerard yes the schedule had a 24 miler ,strange as p&d say runs over 22m are too taxing on the body and you should stick to 20-22 , I was certainly feeling taxed the rest of yesterday !
    0054 taper tastic 
    Jools not long now 
    6 recovery 8:53 pace after a very long kip ,will have an easy 4 later.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    GerardM said:
    MsE - Re the Boston marathon coverage. Try this link below. It is the Boston local news channel. It seems to be working fine on my pc at the mo and I think I normally watch via that channel. I am quite excited and looking forward to seeing Jordan Hassay make her debut and Rupp in the mens race too. :) 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/show/cbs-boston-live-video/  
    Cheers, Gerard!  I am very much looking forward to watching Jordan too. She is a phenomenal talent and epitomises what I think it is to run with your body and soul.

Lorenzo - I haven't requested a day pass to come to London to spectate but now you have put the idea in my head....!

An easy 7 miles @ 8ish pace again with the dog after 30 mins of vinyasa flow yoga today. First runwithdog since I injured myself 3 months ago.  She was pulling a bit that time as it was before sunrise and she could smell the nightlife (wild sort not the urban sort  :D) but was beautifully behaved today and ran to heel the whole way.  I cannot recommend hip and shoulder opening poses in yoga enough to get you nicely primed to run with good form.

Sending good luck vibes across the pond to GDawg and anyone else running in Boston!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - I love her! That hair, wow! She seems to have found her sweet spot since changing to the roads and upping the distance. Sounds like you had a lovely run with your hound. 

Leslie - I'd be wrecked after a 24 miler like that. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - The link wouldn't work when I tried to tune into the race. I found this one that does, how's your french? http://live.robinwidget.org/streamvideo8/athletics-vs-boston-marathon-live-stream-188936.html
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes indeed GDawg- looking forward to your race news.

Finally a lovely morning here, so I put away the demons of yesterdays poor LSR with a pacey 10k progression run in 48 mins. All systems working fine.