Comrades 2017

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Lowrez. Sorry to hear you didn't finish but put it down to a great training run in an amazing part of the world. Glad you enjoyed the route. Rest well and enjoy Cape Town at Easter. The V&A waterfront has some great restaurants!!! Rest well and you'll smash MK
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, yes, I'm sure you ran in my 1978 footsteps.  Below is a pic of me (no.460 at a much younger, slimmer age, when I could still run properly) at the finish line in about 5:40. I was in my Wanderers Club colours, which they have since changed - I've been a member for 42 years so I still run in Wanderers colours for Comrades.  That was only my third ever marathon and was the 3rd of 3 within 3 weeks.  Back then you had to do a 4:15 standard marathon as a qualifier to even enter! (a la Comrades qualifier, which itself used to be 4:30).  I qualified just the weekend before!  Note the absence of runner crowds - far fewer entrants back then!  The course views were, of course, just as good then as now.
    (sorry about the size of my pic - I couldn't find how to reduce it).
  • Hi Terry, Boston question for tomorrow (yikes!): do we need the route map? Surely the course will be marked?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Rotten luck lowrez, hope you make it at MK. Always the drama. 

Hope the the phys helps, seren. 

Good luck Bostonians across the pond. Debra, I didn't do this race last year but I understand it is marshalled and marked. However I believe that there are long straights where you might not see other runners and these can be disconcerting, leaving the runner wondering if a turn had been missed. It might be best to have an idea of the course and where any turnings are, so you can have comfort that you have not gone wrong. 
  • love the photo Terry  :)
     I have been sorting out some more holiday stuff and looking at our capetown stay for the days prior to durban... deciding between hiring a car or just getting a multiday pass for the red busses etc.

• Sorry to hear your plans didn't work out at TO Lowrez, but at least you've got MK to look forward to, and no lovely scenery to distract you :) .
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Lowrez. Glad you enjoyed it but gutted for you not to get a medal. Recover well.

Best wishes for all at Boston, whichever version.

Great picture Terry. 

26km/16miles here for the longest run of the year
  • Thanks, all. I emailed the organisers and they confirmed it WILL be marked. I've printed out some map bits as well... Heading for an early night now as I have a horribly early start - alarm set for 4am (I decided to drive up in the morning after all).
  • I'm pleased you finished the run and enjoyed the views, sorry it didn't work out in terms of qualification Lowrez. I've loved MK when i've done it. we will all have our fingers, toes and perhaps other appendages crossed.

fantastic picture Terry!

well done on the long run Bikeit - i'm pleased that things are coming together for you

Debra - rest up well for the early start & have a great run

i'm find it a bit hard going at the moment, but logging the miles i need to - longest ever week for me with 70 miles banked, including a slow 29 today. hard going but rewarding
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Lowrez.  Fingers crossed that things work out a bit better at MK.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Debra, just seen this. I heard the route is well marked and marshalled so I don't have a map. Bike It, well done on that 16 miler - recovering well at last! Seren, rent a car! Much to see outside of red bus coverage. It's right hand drive, so no different to here, except, beware a lot of shockingly bad drivers on the road. Becca, go well tomorrow in Boston, US.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Just popping in whilst at Dubai airport - thanks for all the good vibes everyone - Terry, great pic! Already recovering well. Good luck in coming exams seren. Go Bostonians go!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Have fun at Boston Becca. Enjoy the scream tunnel. Would certainly make the race for me : :)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Back home and eager for news of Terry - no tracking on the Boston website :( - an hour and a half in - seems like perfect weather if you are going for a mark like this, on The Wirral at least it is cool and overcast with the odd flurry of rain. Come on Terry!

Hope you are enjoying the day Debra!

Good luck for later Becca and caashford!

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Bad day for me in Boston today. :/  Did 2:23 to halfway and then my legs rebelled after a few more k's.  By about 30k I worked out that here was no way I could manage sub 5, so I just walked the rest of the way for a not so stunning 5:35!  No excuses: no injuries, perfect day, super flat course.

Debra did very well, I think about 3:56.  She very kindly doubled back to meet me about 4k from the finish and walked in with me all the way to the end.  What lovely company and support!

Unless I have a miraculous change of heart, I think I'll resign myself to being a Comrades spectator this year. I don't have the legs or mental energy to try MK.  Even if I qualified, there is no way I could finish Comrades this year.  I've done far too few miles since resuming training in late Feb.  Your case is different Lowrez, you're much closer to your qualifier and I'm sure you'll smash it in MK.

Off to bed now, my legs still feel trashed - as bad as after a full Comrades!
  • Smooth drive up to Boston this morning. Good run, basically - felt hard work for miles 3-13, but Terry pointed out that had been into the wind. Easier for the second half. Chip time 3:54:51. Very pleased as did a 15 mile hilly run with the club yesterday (at an easy pace) so now thinking I could manage back-to-back marathons. Legs feeling okay except for right knee and I think that's at least half due to the driving - see below.

Great to see Terry again, although obviously a pity his legs couldn't manage the qualifier - sympathies again, Terry.

Horrendous journey home due to a crash at the North Circular/A12 (towards Blackwall Tunnel) roundabout. Left Boston about 3pm, reached the London end of the M11 about 6pm and got home about 9.30 pm...

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Terry - for your current level of conditioning I think you've executed a very intelligent second half there - do think again coming out of this please - you've put in the equivalent of a good test of your system 3 weeks out from MK and not trashed yourself, and there are still useful weeks after MK to face down Comrades. Remember its an up run, for me the kindest of Comrades, wonderful measured running is ahead on the day if you can do the equivalent of today's first half, maybe even slower, at MK and push through... is this allowed... shall we have a word with a bookie and put a tenner on each other to sub 5 at MK? I wonder what odds we can get? Sorry you didn't make it today but please think again.

Debra - brilliant day at the office - sorry the roads messed you about.

• lowrez - thanks.

(Just to be clear: the crash didn't involve me, but it prevented traffic from turning onto the A12 from the direction I was travelling. I ended up getting back onto the North Circular heading west/north, driving round to where I used to live in Friern Barnet and coming through central London - mostly on roads limited to 20mpg. Grr.)

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry it wasn't your day, Terry. Well done to Debra, very encouraging. 

The other Boston for me. By some miracle the first steps here were pretty much the first since March that have been smooth and pain-free. Very pleasing but I've lost a lot of training and this was tough at times. It was good to see at the start John1947 who did Comrades last year and the year before. No Comrades this year for him. 

Well done to caashford on a fantastic run and a great result. 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Nice one Becca - how did it compare to last year? Were you pain free all the way? How was your heart over the hill, did it break?
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez. I was in much better shape the other time I ran it, in 2014. Heartbreak Hill isn't particularly tough, there are others that are worse. Both times I've felt surprised upon reaching the top - "that was it?!"
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Was last time really 2014? Seems like yesterday :). I had similar perspective on Polly Shortts first up run. Yes a big hill, bite not as harsh as I expected. I think both garner their reputation from being tough acts to knock down if you have been pushing really hard, they arrive relatively later in the day when you would prefer them not to be there. Well done
  • Well done Becca! Glad you had a good run. (Pain-free to start is always a bonus!)

• Terry - sorry to hear you didn't make the qualifying time yesterday. Whatever your decision re Comrades I hope you appreciate what a massive leap forward you've in the past few months after having surgery. And I think you've trained very intelligently. I'm sure I wouldn't have been as far forward as you in the same circumstances. Well done.

debra - well done on your run. And after 15 the day before

becca - well done in USA. Glad the niggles had gone

fantastic running from caashford too. 

Tried my legs out yesterday for the first time since exmoor. Felt OK so will bring forward my next back to back to Friday/Saturday as am marshalling at London and I'm not getting up to finish a long run (only 12miles) before 6am  :/
  • Sorry to hear Terry....Had the go ahead from physio to do some walking this week...Might stop the weight gain from marching forward....That's my own fault but has got me down more than the not training.....
    Will avoid any photos next week for my big day...Got a big birthday to look forward to..
  • Southern Snail. Thanks. Good to hear that your legs have recovered okay. Where are you marshalling at London? I'll be marshalling on Embankment (about mile 25) in the afternoon - my running club always covers that area and keeping people moving on Hungerford Bridge. At least since I have the afternoon shift I can go on our normal club Sunday run (and even extend it a bit) in the morning. Schedule only calls for 3 hours so I should be home my 11am or so - time to shower, change and head off to catch a train.

• Debra - I believe I'll be at 24 miles. It's going to be a looong day. Meeting everyone at 6.40 and presume won't be home till late afternoon 
  • We'll practically be neighbours! Should arrange to meet up...
  • sounds good. Im tagging on with a friend so haven't really taken much notice of what I'm meant to be doing or where yet. Thought I was going to be with her, but now it appears I'll be on the other side of the road on my own :( with just a few thousand people between us!!! but definitely there all day
  • jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Morning all, and commiserations Lowrez and Terry48, remember it's not over until it's over.

Well done Debra and Becca.

Sunday's run had me on my knees by the end and my shuffling feet on the now very dusty trails had me in mind of this going up the hills.  Going from 16 to 24m in 2 weeks was a bit much.  That said I wasn't as sore the next day as last week but my legs were tired still when I ran this morning.

So, given that I can't run on the last weekend of the month it occured to me that I could with advantage have 9 and 11 days between long runs, Tuesday next week and then the Saturday-week after, then taper.  This would allow me to extend the length of one of my week day runs (which are too short) without impacting the long run....I think.

Apologies for the stream of consciousness but I thought it wise to air my cunning plan before I fell foul of it.
    </code><code>