Deferred entry costs

I had to defer my entry to the Brighton marathon due to injury - the offered 20% discount, although derisory was welcomed. I waited, and waited for the email link so that I could apply for my deferred place BUT it would have been cheaper to enter early or to enter whilst on the beach in Brighton on either the Friday or the Saturday before the run. I waited for my 'discount' email because I thought I would be better off - how wrong can one person be?? The cost of a place in the race has risen (again) more than eliminating the 'value' of my deferred place. I should have entered for £55 instead of the £57 (£65 - £13) my deferred place will cost!
My issue isn't just with the derisory discount on offer - why only 20% why not 50% or more? surely the electronic database means that you can transfer a runner from one year to the next with little additional effort/cost? but with the idea that runners are a 'cash cow' to be 'milked' at every opportunity! We visit towns and cities, stay in accommodation, go to local pubs, bars and shops and all the time add money to the local coffers - we are not and shouldn't be viewed as fast moving cash-points!

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    20% discount doesn't seem like much of a deferral especially as you can only apply that to a higher entry fee.   They should have let you have the 20% on the early bird entry fee.   When Brighton marathon started I had several long email discussions with Tim Hutchings about how I thought the entry fee was overpriced.

There are plenty of other marathons to do that won't cost you so much in entry fees or other costs such as accommodation/parking.

Brighton have probably put the entry fees up so they can buy more cups next year ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    £55 is the supposed bargain discount price! My word!
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Part of the reason I chose Manchester over Brighton this year was the entry fee - think it was £45 vs £65 at brighton when I entered or something like that.

I think at London if you defer you have to pay the entry fee in full again the next year. Although it's cheaper to start with.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat, science, although I deferred due to not being able to find accomodation (well, none that I could afford, anyway). But, having heard about the shambles that was this year's Brighton, I'm not going to take up the place. The fact you have to go to pick up your number and don't offer water in bottles (or water at all, if you're not very fast...) makes it rather unappealing. That and I watched a video of the course and it was very uninspiring. There are other, better run races out there that are still cheaper than the discounted Brighton price.
  • I still don't see why you don't get the full amount if they have others who are willing to take your place.