Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Some eye catching performances by US athletes in Boston...winning time in the men's race is not that fast for an overall downhill course but shows the difficulty of pacing.

MsE you rightly spotted that Hasay is a star in the making 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    It was a scorchio day according to my friends running there.  Everyone failed to hit their goal pace.  It makes Jordan's debut all the more incredible as her time is just seconds off her predicted time from her recent 67:55 HM.  She has a style that is beautiful to watch.  So fluid and not dissimilar to the Kenyan and Ethiopians. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poachers/MsE - And a mention for the Japanese guy who came 3rd, great breakthrough for him and he is also a NOP runner. Rupp ran very well but was dropped like a sack of potatoes by the Kenyan, he closed those last few miles like a boss. Hasay really impressed on her debut, she will only get better and agreed, she is a lovely runner to watch. D Linden finished strong too. Yes, I'd say the weather was a big factor for a lot of runners today. 
  • poacher, like the new profile picture. Is that a look-alike or the real you twice?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - MP run sounds promising.  Valencia sounds more like a 50th celebration destination! And a sub 3 would be the icing on the cake. Good effort in the field events!
    Poacher - gardening is a killer as I re-discovered on Friday. Long-distance running is much less exhausting!
    GM - you're obviously acclimatised to the warm weather - great running and lovely views. Good pacing too.
    PMJ - out of the 19:2x rut and into the ruts on the path. Sounds enjoyable though. And for a moment, I thought you were back in Norfolk when I saw the windmill!
    OO - good parkrun. I have a vague memory of going to the Rising Sun park when the in-laws lived in Newcastle about 20 years ago. Progressive runs are always enjoyable.
    Leslie - that's some long run!!! But don't burn all your matches now.
    Badbark - so are you going to take it easy for the one week taper?!
    MsE - good patience. Glad you're able to get some running in and back up to 13 miles now.
    Rest day yesterday. 24th wedding anniversary and enjoyed a nice walk in the Fens followed by afternoon tea. Up a bit late this morning so did a relaxed progressive run, 6 miles.
    Waiting for the news from across the pond...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gul advice duly noted just following the plan (mostly) though I did see the 24 as a test !! I wondered what all the heat was now I know ...24 years B) damn that's an achievement these days Gul, amazing .
    GDawg still celebrating ?
    8 easy this morn with a few strides thrown in , I really need to start adding these more but with mixing runs up to fit the schedule in there never seemed the right place for them .
    Squeaky bum time for the londoner's soon as you up next ...

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes definitely a bit of nerves building Leslie.

All the best Gul.

Might plod a few miles this evening- I'm avoiding the club session...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hope it's just the time difference which means we haven't heard from G-Dawg yet...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wow! What a scorcher. Yesterday was brutal but the most wonderful experience. TV news also described conditions as brutal with the sun beating down on us from the gun. Add the hills to the equation and you can kiss goodbye to a PB attempt. I ended up with a 3.19 which is a Boston Qualifier at least!

Really pleased with how I managed the whole thing. The medics were very busy from 18 miles onwards. 

The crowd noise is amazing. The whole experience made up for not being able to hit my pace target. In the end it was all about the medal and I'm so pleased.

The position of the Newton Hills is nasty, especially on such a hot day. From 16 miles to 21 there are 4 or 5 climbs culminating in Heartbreak Hill. Some very fit looking people struggling as I trundled past them. Despite a downward trend the continual undulations make it difficult to get into a decent rhythm. By the time you get to 22 miles your legs are trashed and you can't cash in on any down slope. Even on this section there are sections that go upwards.

In the final mile there's also an underpass to negotiate just when you think there's no more incline. The approach to the finish was incredible. I had some space in the centre of the street and waved at the crowd to make some noise and boy did they. 

The line couldn't come soon enough for my totally trashed legs. My shorts were covered in salt from sweat, despite loads of suncream I was a little burned but stuff it,  I'd run Boston!

A cracking end to our American adventure. 6 days in New York last week including a run in Central Park with my eldest boy also added to an overall wonderful experience. 

We fly back tonight but I'll tell further tales of Boston as and when certain subjects come up on here, including my injury management, MSE will be so proud!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck to those running London. I'm envious of the cooler conditions. I do have a place but I think I'll defer. :smiley:
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    You did brilliantly, GDawg.  Everyone I knew who ran yesterday was humbled by the course in that weather so it is great to hear you sound so positive about it.  It seems like you really coped well and the training was spot on.  Very pleased you are being sensible about not running London.  It will give those niggles time to settle down (and they have been waiting for a long time to do this!)

Happy anniversary to the Guls! 

Stay calm, Londoners.  Good work on the strides but I suspect with your turnover they are less important for you than some of us, Leslie.

An easy 6 miles today around the 8m/m mark again (my safe and easy does it on the ankle pace it seems) followed by pilates core and glute work, finished off with a sports massage. When the kids are back at school it is amazing what one can fit in!  :D
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to have had a really tough time at Boston, G-Dawg.  You survived better than most!  Enjoy your celebrations and look forward to hearing the gory details in due course.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg- Well done on what appears to be a bad one for most but you did amazingly well to run a gfa time. Sounded like a great trip all round. I look forward to the full race report!

Gul - Edging closer to the silver wedding anniversary! Sounded like a lovely w/end.

MsE - A good days work for you. My son starts back tomorrow.

Leslie - A nice easy for you with some strides. I never do them but probably should.

OO - Not much to do now this week except to avoid anything too strenuous. 

No running here the past couple of days as I've been looking after my son but enjoyed a game of crazy golf today and a lovely coastal drive and then a huge ice cream. Might get out for a lunch run tomorrow as I'm back in work. I'm getting excited about London now, can't wait to watch it. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nicely brought home GD. Tough course, especially when you get over Heartbreak only to find that the problems are nowhere near over. But a proper occasion with great support and a must for marathon fans.  Come to London and jog round for fun. How many kisses did you get at Wellesley? 

GM - crazy golf + running as an alternative duathlon?

Gul - congrats to both of you, that is indeed an achievement to be proud of.

No running here but a lot of XT with mattock & pickaxe. Wasted.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    PMJ - went into a room and found a life sized pic of self on a gigantic poster on the wall. Weird. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - I haven't touched a golf club in about 10 years and my putting was mostly wayward, so much so, I carded a 64 for a par 54 and my 8 year old boy carded a 65 (he got a hole in one on the 2nd hole), so I think I'll just stick to the running.  :) My left arm is in bits, I recently bought a big hickory handled axe and have taken to chopping logs as a means to a bit of XT but mainly for firewood for outside in the evenings and for beach days. Obviously not used to using those muscles but enjoyable nonetheless. Have you decided to take it easy around London then?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - that's an excellent result in the conditions - you should be proud. Look forward to hearing a full report!
    And it'll soon be carb-loading time for you Londoners!
    Thanks for all your best wishes. Now planning a holiday in Wester Ross for next year's 25th :)
    Took another rest day. Ankle was a bit iffy last night, so playing it safe.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good result GD and an excellent report. Definitely one for the bucket list when I retire.

Nothing doing here, may pop out for a few gentle ones tonight. My weight is going up about 1lb per day

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GD – Well done on your Boston adventure. That sounds really tough with the heat and the hills. I intend on running Boston as my 100th marathon in a 5 years!

After two days of gentle 5 milers I ran 8 this morning including 2.5 miles at MP. It still amazes me just how hard I have to work to manage MP in taper mode. Now apart from strides I won’t be running anything fast for the rest of the week. Good luck to my fellow VLM runners! Let’s get it done.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gdawg well tough out in the heat looking forward to the report.
    Badbark 5 years is one hell of  long time ahead especially for  runners but good to set targets.Mara pace will be fine on the day .
    Poacher/Gerard nice if unusual cross training,it all counts.

13.1m at 7:04 average this morn 

3 easy ,1 steady (7:26 with strides) then 8m at 6:20 m/mile ,1 easy to finish .P&d had an 8k to 15k race pencilled in for this week so as Id done 7 at 6:20 I though 8m was the way to go , proper tough and I was hanging on from mile 5 which is what a race should feel like I suppose ..

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, you're in great shape, Leslie.

7M with 2 @ 6.35s for me, which is bang on target marathon pace (should bring me 2.52.30, and an 80% age grading).  Curiously, it's what I did for my 2 @ MP in 2015, but I'll stick to my plan.  If I feel ok at 18-20, maybe pick it up and shave a little off the target, but I can't ignore the missed miles/sessions!
  • Great stuff G-Dawg - dug really deep when you had to and finished with your head held high. Hope the family were very proud of you.

Good bit of XT from GM and poster boy Poacher.

Sounds very positive Jools.

Madbark - approach for the next few days makes sense. Will we see you in Chandos on Sunday?

4 miles MP-10s sandwich (2 miles easy either side) from me yesterday followed by 5 easy commuting miles this morning.

Finished the day up with a trip to Expo to do the business and stock up on Beet shots. I'll be in pen 2 on the Green start (no. 27748). Managed to have a chat with the Valencia Marathon crew so took one step further - Mrs L is very supportive of the plan as well. :)

Couple of easy runs for the next two mornings to stay in the vibe.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Madbark is probably planning to run home after the mara rather than come to the pub...

I'm blown away by your target Jools- the very best of luck with that.

My targets; The dream would be 2:58:00 which would be a PB. But I'd be delighted with anything below 3 hours.  

Agree your point BB, I ran 6 on Monday with 1 at MP and that was very tough.

Great running Leslie...

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - you are shelling MLRs and LRs like peas and at some cracking paces too!
    OO - is the weight gain just due to the taper or have you started carb-loading early?!
    Badbark - I'm not surprised given your MP!
    Jools - very disciplined!
    Lorenzo - sounds positive about Valencia. Is Expo usually open on the Weds?
    And anyone at Expo today?
    12 miles this morning and delighted to say there was enough daylight to head out of town which is always a bonus. 6 miles @ 8:16 and 6 miles @ 7:18. (No spike in the HR today, but I think I'll give up reporting it!)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    OO: Well, I was getting into 2.47/2.48 shape before the injury (Wokingham was 1.24 as a MP run), and I reckon I lost about 10s/mile because of the layoff, which I've rounded up to 5 minutes to err on the side of caution.  6.15s have felt pretty controlled in my last two shorter races, so I figure that amounts to HMP at the moment.  We shall see if my calculated gamble pays off: the one thing I haven't been able to do as a result of the injury is a decent MP run recently!
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Nice to see so many familiar faces on here.

Just popping in to say good luck to everyone running VLM. Enjoy it.  :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    not much to report here - but well done, G-Dawg on securing gfa on what appears to have been a tough day . . . . .
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Hello All,

It was good to see the good results of Manchester, Brighton and Boston and see that the VLM preparations have been going well.

I also will be marathoning on Sunday.  My injuries have finally started to receed and I've been able to run effectively in the last 10 days and am currently very very very slow.  The target is to qualify for Comrades before the cutoff on May 2nd and this is the last local opportunity.  Despite my expectation to get a new PW (Personal Worst) I will try to finish ahead of all VLMers by virtue of the 6:30AM start and an hours time difference.  
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Jools thanks, 6:35 mp, that is some going !
    Lorenzo nice to get another one booked with backing from the boss ,top negotiating skills.
    0054 2:58 it is for you !
    Gul quality fast finish 12 there ,Lr and LR far too close this week due to looming nightshift (tonight) so this week's long run had to be today on whacked legs..

18m at a more sedate 8:04 average .

second half had 4 mile of really tough hills to start then the last 5 around 7:30-7:35 pace ,I really had to work for those miles !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very nice to hear from you Bike It and Keir- and good luck BI with the slow mara- I'm sure you will enjoy.

Really inspirational Jools- Would be great if you meet junior one day for some guidance on her running career. She just received an Elite Great North Run place for September by the way. I think the Marathon is coming in the next 2-3 years! I'm also lacking MP runs- other than my 20 mile race a month ago. 

On the weight issue Gul, I typically weigh just over 12 stone in old money. With each mara campaign I tend to dip below 12 with the training. Then as soon as I start to taper it starts to creep back up. I just ate 450g of yoghurt with my lunch...