VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    @ing amazing I loved every min of it. So happy with my time of 4 hours 41 mins.
    amazing amazing 
  • Everyone else is clearly still in the pub so up to me to kickstart the reports. Feel a bit of a fraud as I was just under 7 hours - had food poisoning earlier this week and hadn't been able to fuel properly so felt really drained by about 10 miles. But I plodded along, mostly walking fast after Tower Bridge with run-bursts, avoiding the sweeper trucks. The crowds were still amazing - completely solid from about 22 miles onwards and I still was treated like a proper champ at the end. Hope everyone did better than me!
  • Hi all,
    I was waiting to be the last to comment on Sunday but missed it.
    Anyway,
    I was asked to pace at 7 minutes a Km and to finish in 4:58.
    I did both and finished in 4:57:59 - the PERFECT finishing time for a pacer.
    Well chuffed.
  • Brilliant! Did you get a lot of pacees round?
  • Morning guys. I finished in 4 hours 11 mins - tried to stick with the 4 hour pacers but lost them around mile 15. Still really pleased as I ran the whole way without stopping (even for the toilet, which is unheard of for me on a long run!). Without doubt one of the greatest experiences of my life. I'm in agony today but can't wait to do it again. Well done to everyone for taking part, it's a truly special event :)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Another great day for London Marathon I thought - good weather (although my sunburnt head wasn't expecting that sunshine), and amazing crowds as always.

Unfortunately I found out the experts are right - you shouldn't expect to do 2 PBs 2 weeks apart. Aiming for a 3:10 and Got to mile 16 on target for  3:05 when it all fell apart and i resorted to a bit of shameful walking. Came in at 3:20 which is still a course record for me but a bit disappointed not to get the BQ i was after.

Hope everyone else had an enjoyable run and reached targets. Well done Harmander on some epic pace accuracy, and to all those who kept going deep into the afternoon despite waning crowds and fences being packed etc, big respect for the tenacity.
  • Hi all

what a fantastic day, a little too warm for me and I faded badly in the last six miles, it was much harder than I was expecting but finished in 4.49 so was thrilled to get under 5 hours.

So impressed with the logistics and organisation of the whole event, the selflessness of the volunteers, the atmosphere, the crowds and the public goodwill towards runners and of course, the enormous amount of money that must get raised for charity. Made me proud to be British.

thanks for all of the support and advice on here, very happy memories made.

Jonathan
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful day. 4hr 13 which I'm really pleased with. My calf went at 25km on one of those ramps so had to walk a bit.

A 37 minute PB from 2014. Fantastic support, London really is sensational.
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    The crowd was amazing if I don't get in again next year I go up and offer my services some how 
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Agree @spenno2 - would love to volunteer in some way!
  • > @snewma00 said:
    > Agree @spenno2 - would love to volunteer in some way!

Was thinking the same, do you know how you volunteer?
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Hi all - hope you all "enjoyed" it as much as I did yesterday. Well done to everyone who's posted so far, some great times there.

What an amazing experience. Simultaneously one of the best and also THE worst experience of my life !

I was great to about 14 miles, good steady pace, didn't go off too quick, had a little rest in the toilet queue. Then I pretty much fell apart and walked/plodded the rest (it was a lot warmer than forecast which didn't help). Ended up with a 6:42 rather than my hoped-for under 6 hours. The experience over Tower Bridge will live with me forever. Saw the wife and eldest at about 6, missed them on Tower Bridge becasue of the noise, but spoke to them on the phone around 17, then saw them again at 25 which mentally dragged me to the finish. Even for us at the back, the crowds were still several people deep at the end - and that was 5pm !

I've got that bloody marathon medal now, which will be a one-off. Because, never again !
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    I had been dreading London after running Boston in difficult conditions on Monday, was still undecided on Saturday whether I should run or not (sore legs and horrific blisters). Decided there was no point in being there and not running, so ran with no expectations at all - no pace band, high-5'd all the kids, etc. Ran with a couple of friends and actively slowed down a few times when it felt like we were going too fast, didn't want to get sucked into running hard. Really enjoyed the race and was really surprised when  we got to 20 miles and realised that if we could keep the pace up we could hit 3:15 and GFA. Last 6 miles were tough, last 3 in particular, but made it in 3:14 which I'm really chuffed with and can't quite believe. The blisters are like something from a horror movie, but the legs are surprisingly fresh - even managed stairs this morning without major problems.

Harmander - great to meet you at the Expo, don't know how you can do that mileage and that number of races, but I take my (slightly sweaty) hat off to you!

Well done everyone!
  • Quick question: does anyone know why the red zone starting gun went off more than a minute after the blue zone started? The announcer was saying something about waiting for the 'official' starting signal but it seemed clear that blue started dead on 10.00. Was this deliberate policy or a co-ordination error?

• Probably just a coordination error CJ, it's happened before.
  • So much harder than I was expecting. Hung onto the 3hr45 pacer until 28-29km and felt really in control, then starting slowly slipping and slipping... and slipping! Last 10km was truly hideous but knew if I could just about keep moving I could scrap in under 4hrs. 3Hr57 in the end, super pleased to get under 4hrs. Not sure I could face doing it again!
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Great great race, was about 10-15 mins slower than I would have liked, needed to stop at 16 for a loo break, decided to miss the queues and shot into a Thai restaurant, I sort of went flying in and said "can I use the loo?"  They very kindly said yes :)  I actually had to run quite a way though before I could find a way out of the barriers :disappointed:

Once I had stopped for that few minutes, I found it hard to get going again and my running buddy had gone on ahead, she was keeping me going.  I struggled though to about 20 and decided to run walk after I saw the 4:45 pacer go through.  

The crowds and atmosphere was outstanding, I'm sure its the biggest and loudest I've ever heard, I'm sure Harmander can confirm if this is true?

Great day and hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • Well that was an experience!

I'd targetted a 3:30, and despite being an experienced marathon runner (some people clearly never learn), I went through 10 miles in 73 mins, which is 3:10 ish pace....  it didn't (unsurprisingly) last, and despite backing off to target pace, the last 8 miles were hellish!

Looking afterwards, I ran just 1 min short of 2 hours in heart rate zone 5 across the entire run.... no wonder it hurt so bloody much!

Regardless, I ended up with a 3:52 and absolutely loved my first London Marathon... truly unbelievable support... the volume coming through Cutty Sark was something to behold!

Back in the ballot again then... no GFA for me!... but by 'eck, what a race!
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Nice work MC - I was pacing to about 1.12 and knowing I'd slip a bit over the last 6 miles or so.
    Half way I was bang on target and then I faded as I thought to a 3.17.  Still a GFA but only cos I'm old. 

Didn't really enjoy the race - I thought it was pretty tough from the start - and the last few miles - I didn't have the energy to spare to take in the surroundings.

Still pleased with a GFA but not sure at the moment if I want to go through another marathon !
  • Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭
    Yesterday was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. The crowds, volunteers and camaraderie with fellow runners make the London Marathon truly special.

I set off at a steady pace and remember crossing Tower Bridge feeling very strong and confident. It all unravelled pretty quickly though. By about 17-18 miles, I was really struggling and those last 8-9 miles were grim, grim, grim. I had to stop and walk briefly a couple of times, but I'm very proud that I "ran" each step of the last 3 miles. I say "ran" because I seemed to be moving at the same speed as those that were walking! I finished it in 4.13, my 3.45 pace band having been ripped off my wrist long before in frustration.

I know I should be proud that I ran and finished, and I am, but a large part of me is disappointed that I did not run a better time (I have two 1.40 half marathons under my belt). That's just from my own selfish point of view though. The event, volunteers, fellow runners and spectators were all amazing and although I have vowed never to run another marathon again, I'm sure I will end up submitting a sneaky ballot application this time next week!
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    2017 Virgin Money London Marathon: (Following report has been posted in a forum full of people less familiar with London than those around here - sorry about that!)

Started the day early to leave home feeling slightly less than 100% but ready to tackle the day anyway.

Got on the tube at Hammersmith with a few other runners and enjoyed the banter as we travelled on an increasingly full train. By Cannon Street the trickle of people had turned into a horde and we all crammed into the train to go to Greenwich. At Greenwich the hordes left the train and marched on relentlessly in anticipation towards the start zone.

I paused for a while and took a moment to consider the atmosphere. It was electric! So many people running for so many charities, each with their own motivations and stories to tell.

Of course eventually I found my way to handing in bags and getting into the start pen.I was surrounded by a bunch all aiming for 3:30 with the 3:30 pacer just ahead of us.

The start went and quite quickly we crossed the line (4minutes). Crowds were dense - but everyone was moving so I didn't feel held up.

The first 5km had a few significant downhill sections and my pace was a little faster than target as a result. When the red starters and green starters merged there was a sense of the enormity of the occasion and I felt a bit of a lump in my throat.

I had family and friends scattered in a number of spots around the course and focused on working out which side of the road to look out for them. The crowds were huge all the way around and cheers were constant. My pace remained quick and I was feeling amazing.

Just before halfway we crossed tower bridge where the intensity of the crowd really peaks. The emotions really grabbed at me. 

I crossed half way in 1:42.xx and realised that I was a little too quick. 3:30 definitely seemed on - 3:27 perhaps?

A little further and my watch buzzed at me: "Low Battery"  - What?!? It was 100% when I started?

At 24km the watch died and I was left with a pacer bracelet and the clock at each mile marker. This wasn't a problem...

Bigger problem was I felt tired... it was a bit soon for that! Perhaps I had gone too fast? Bugger!!!

By 28km I was hanging on and knew that my 3:30 was looking doubtful. I was determined to keep going even if I would slow down.

By 30km I was heading back past tower bridge and heading towards Westminster. The crowd support was epic - absolutely sensational and any time I felt like pausing or dropping to a walk I was inspired by the sheer enthusiasm from the streets. My pace had fallen away, I'd seen the 3:30 pacer go past me - but I thought I was still in with a good chance of beating my Chicago time 3:38.

I turned the final corner past Buckingham Palace and the roars of the crowd were amazing. I could no longer hold back the tears.

This run had been a charity raising mission for my friend Adam who died of Cancer in December and I know he would have been thrilled by the amount of charitable stuff going on in London. I'd raised nearly $4000 and I felt a wave of pride (and exhaustion).

I crossed the line in 3:36 tears pouring down my face overwhelmed by emotion. Surely the most memorable birthday I've had in a long while!  (Ever?)

An amazing day - totally exhausting, but amazing. Missed my target, but given my suboptimal health I'm very happy to have got a new PB.
  • SlowTortoise,
    Yes there was a whole bunch of them, 30 maybe
  • Dad Again - I thought that was you at the front of red pen 4. I was the first timer running for Headway discussing latching on to the 3:30 pacers in pen 3. 

We both passed them within 3 miles and then I tried keeping you in my sights but lost you around Isle of Dogs. Congrats on the new PB. 

It it was a quick start and really had to hold myself back a few times as it was easy to get carried away. I am used to running with cattle, horses etc not 40,000 people and crowds cheering your name. 

I caught up with the green 3:30 pacer around mile 20 and eventually overtook him with aching hips and a tight hamstring.  

At mile 23, I was still feeling strong (despite the aches) and ready for a last push but then I got sharp cramp in my quad which slowed me down a little. Fortunately I managed to run it off. 

The camaraderie between runners and support from the crowds were overwhelming and helped eradicate any self doubts and drive me through the longest feeling 1k finish.

The green 3:30 pacer overtook me with yards to spare and I crossed the line in 3:27:19. 

All the supporters, volunteers, pacers and runners were incredible. You forumites were also invaluable. 

I've got the bug....
  • Great to read all these accounts! The whole day was totally overwhelming (in a good way!) I was so hung up on the fact that my longest training run was only 18 miles, and though many of you on here (and elsewhere) said it would get me through, I was still incredibly nervous! I stayed in Clapham and my planned route should have taken me 46 minutes to reach blue start at Blackheath. I left at 8am but tube was closed due to a 'person on the tracks'. So had to take a bus to Stockwell and just follow the crowds. Caught DLR at London Bridge eventually, slowest journey ever! Was still on it at 9.25 and nerves truly kicking in by then.

Made it to the start with 20 minutes to spare - quick bag drop and ladies urinals?? Well that's another story...

Anyway got away at 10.04 and fought the urge to keep up with the pace of the hordes overtaking me, although the first runners I saw start walking was after half a mile! I started off with an ambitious sub-4 in mind and after the first 5k was well on track, but soon realised that would take me out of my comfort zone and I really wanted to enjoy this race. Felt incredibly good after 10 miles - they just flew by - and soaked in the sights and sounds. High-fived all the kids and just soaked in the atmosphere. Had tears at Tower Bridge, just immense after all those years of watching on the telly, finally being part of it was something I'll never forget. Caught sight of 4 hour pacers here and toyed with the idea of catching them, but thought this is my race, I'll run it how feels good - after all, may never be lucky enough to do it again.

The injury that had plagued me stayed away and was going strong and steady until mile 21, far into unknown terrority, but still overtaking so many walkers. Sub-4 had long faded away so I contented myself with the thought that if nothing else, I would run the whole thing, no matter how much I wanted to stop and walk, which I did want, badly. It's not something you can understand until you experience it, but I've read accounts of people who say the last 2 miles were the hardest - I didn't 'hit the wall' but my legs were protesting wildly at what was being asked of them and all I wanted to do was stop running, even with the finish being so close.

But I managed to keep my legs churning and sobbed when I saw the '385 yards to go' sign. I couldn't care less what time I was going to finish in, I just knew I was going to finish and that's what counts.

I cried on the shoulder of the lady who handed me my medal, and of the man I randomly hugged beyond the finish line who asked me 'would you do this again?' I replied 'ask me tomorrow,' and he said 'that's what I said after my first - and this is my 16th!'

Anyway, finally finished in 4hrs 14mins and I'm delighted with that. When you take everything into consideration, why would you want such an amazing experience to be over quicker? I feel sorry for those Elites!
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
     marcopolo83 said:
    Dad Again - I thought that was you at the front of red pen 4. I was the first timer running for Headway discussing latching on to the 3:30 pacers in pen 3. 
    40,000 people stood in Greenwich park and you manage to identify a complete stranger based on some vague discussions on an Internet forum!?

Im very impressed!!!
  • Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭
    After finishing on Sunday and all day yesterday, I was adamant that I would never attempt another marathon. Today though, the legs are a little less stiff and sore, and I've decided to enter the ballot next week. Where's the VLM 2018 thread?!
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Feeling quite good today actually. Feet are the only thing which is really bothering me. Just had a look at the marathon website and over the last 7.2k I passed 2,184 people, was genuinely surprised by this. Memories of the crowd will never leave me and I've raised a great amount for my charity which is a massive bonus too. Thanks to everyone on this for the advice before too. Was greatly appreciated. 
  • @Ray 4 - I've started up a VLM 2018 thread under the 'Spring Marathon' category. Ignore the other one, I was an idiot and put it in the wrong category. Hope to see you over there!

Well done everyone for Sunday! I watched it on TV and it looked like an amazing day.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    You people are making me cry  :'(

For all my saying this was my last, I'm going to put in for 2018  >:)

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Rossi, where do you find how many people you overtook?