Long run Nausea

Hi all,
I'm sure this has been covered before so am hoping someone out there has an answer. During theVLM yesterday I hit a bad patch at mile 22 - really felt sick - but couldn't be sick. I have had this before and was carrying a small bottle of diet coke to help me burp - the idea being this would relieve the feeling. I didnt work :-(
I didn't take on too much water, was carful with my fueling so I know this is probably my stomach just switching off. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Cheers

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Chris - it's very common and affects a lot of runners.   Sometimes an indigestion tablet will help particularly the kind that are for trapped wind!   And take it before symptoms are too bad, so say at 16 miles into the race. 
  • Thanks Shades - I'll try some on my next long run
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Chris - I believe it can be made worse by accidentally swallowing air when drinking water while running.

Let us know how you get on.
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    It is common- blood supply to the gut is compromised by running demands for blood supply to muscles, and your stomach doesn't empty properly. No idea what the best solution is ( other than to take up ultras, where you can run slowly enough to digest "proper" food!) 
  • that would explain why on a long run this weekend I didnt have any issues - slower pace
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi Chris.  I presume you finished the VLM OK? 

Nausea during running is a complex issue.  Common causes are exhaustion, an empty stomach, excessive intake of simple sugars during the race, or too much food late at night the day before (or for breakfast for that matter). 

You need to keep something in your stomach at all times, but not too much.

Many sports drinks, gels, etc have so many addititives in that nausea is likely to follow.  I use a very simple, home-made drink which has to date never made me nauseous.

In a marathon I will typically use one SIS gel, sometimes two.  I consider this brand the best.  Of the drink I will have about 750-1000 ml.  Race morning I will just have porridge for breakfast.

You need to try to experiment with nutrition that agrees with you, but the less processed the better.  I would be wary about coke, especially diet.  I would use regular coke but you should ensure it is flat first.  You can do this by adding a bit of salt to it.

If exhaustion brings nausea on, slow down a bit until you are more conditioned.