VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I had to defer last year and had 6 months off running. Spent the last 6 months training for this race in a way that ensured I got around. No long races, no stupid speed-work. Just nice long steady miles. Also loads of yoga, stretching and core work.

Had a plan to run 11 minute miles and managed it throughout. First half 2:25, second half 2:28. Final time of 4:53. Fastest two miles were 26 and 25. I felt great over the last four or five miles and just kept getting faster. I think I found 13-16 the most tough, knowing we'd come a long way and there was still a long way to go.

I'm in the unusual position of thinking I probably could have gone faster. Am I disappointed? Not in the slightest. It's likely I'll never get the chance to run London again, and it was my first marathon. I've come away with a hugely positive feeling about the race. 

There are plenty more marathons out there and my half PB of 1:48 looks a bit odd alongside my marathon one of 4:53, but there's time to sort that out. Might be able to beat Alan the gorilla next time! Great race & a great day out.

Did anyone else get sunburned? 5 hours out in the sun wearing a vest wasn't kind to my shoulders!
  • Barneschar,
    Thank you for starting the 2018 thread - just a little point that you may not have been aware of, the new threads historically have been for First Timers to make them all feel equal but clearly First Time London Marathoners are also included. 
    I just feel honoured that I am invited each year just to answer any basic questions about VLM because of my long time connection to it and more recently as an official pacer.
    I hope I have managed to put people at ease about VLM - particularly as the final weeks created extra nerves for some.
    Am already looking forward to VLM 2018 - starting my training today with a recovery run of at least 7 miles.
  • Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    TopSec said:
    Rossi, where do you find how many people you overtook?
    It was on the results bit of the marathon website. You then go onto results display and it shows you there. Some interesting information. 
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    7 miles recover run,

my legs are shot shot to pieces. I had a cycle yesterday up that hill to Saint  Francis Hospice. I don't think that was a good idea.

thank you for your advice and I loved every min of it and I will apply again for sure 
  • Biko,
    First, well done on a sub 5 hour finish time. Am sure we must have passed each other along the way.
    2:27:22 half way and 4:57:59 finish - had to slow down a bit after 40km as we were a little ahead of our pacer schedule - just 42 seconds difference between the first and second 20km splits/ 
    I have a natural and permanent all over suntan - so the answer from me is no I did not get any sunburn. lol
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    Harmander
    I think I started a little ahead of the 5 hour pacers, just enough so I didn't get caught. You can't have been too far behind me. That's great pacing from you though. For all the wonderful aspects of the London Marathon - it's easily the bet organised mass event I've attended - it is very busy so maintaining a steady pace isn't easy. Anyway, I'm sure you've got a few appreciative Sub 5 hour running partners this morning across the UK.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    Rossi71 said:
    TopSec said:
    Rossi, where do you find how many people you overtook?
    It was on the results bit of the marathon website. You then go onto results display and it shows you there. Some interesting information. 
    I had 5000 people overtake me in the first 35k of the race, only 30 after it. I absolutely sped past the London Eye, Big Ben and Buckingham Palace  ;):p
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    hopefully I can get a place next year I loved it
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    I started a blog when I began my marathon training please see link if anyone wants to take a read 

https://spennorunning.wordpress.com/
  • Great blog Spenno,
    BTW I only done 33 Londons - not 36 - don't want the VLM lot suing me lol
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Hahaha thanks Harmander.

never know I might be back again year if I get another ballot place. If not l be on a water station 
  • snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Legs still in bits today. Going to go for a swim later today, and jacuzzi/sauna etc.

Thanks Harmander for all your tips/help during the buildup!
  • First Post on this fantastic forum after my first marathon on Sunday.

What an incredible day from start to finish I was blown away by the organisation, volunteers and the crowd. It was very special.

Having run a 1:55 half in training thought I would go a bit faster than I did, I finished in 4:44. Think I pulled a muscle in my groin around the isle of dogs. Which was miserable! Highlight was Greenwich and Cutty Sark, proper goosebumps. Have really got the running bug now, want to get nearer 4 next time and will! In training I never saw a coach, I think my stamina was good but need to improve technique. Any tips?

Harmander - I think I met you at the expo and you gave great advice, you were an absolute gentleman for answering all my questions!

Max
  • Thank you Max.
    Happy to assist. I am learning all the time myself
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    loving all the updates - dangerous thing this forum. am already shifting from "never again!" to "well maybe" - I should know better after 11 marathons. I might be back next year after all!!!
  • Gladrags
    You know you want to.
    I have already been sort of assured a place for 2018 - better start training right away - don't want to leave it too late lol
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the results info - very interesting :)

Did a 3 mile run last night - not sure what my form looked like!!  Legs a lot easier today although stairs still a little interesting  :p

• Hello all
    Just about feeling human after an epic day on Sunday. I started ahead of the sub 5 pacers, I was in pen 7. Really enjoyed the day, felt good up to about mile 16, then had to introduce a few short walk breaks. I was stunned and delighted to finish in 4hrs 39 mins a PB by over 30 mins! Thanks for support and advice on here, well done to you all !
  • spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Stairs are just awful things 
  • They are just ramps that need wearing down

• KingaKinga ✭✭
    Hi all

Been a while since I last posted but thought I'd check in to read everyones race day stories and add my own. Looks like some really solid times out there and everyone had a positive experience.

I was at Blue Start in Pen 6 and was pleased to see that the 4hr pacers were only in the pen ahead so I felt content that I was roughly starting where I should be (couldn't remember what I'd put as predicted finsih time but I suspected I'd put nearer 5hrs).

I had planned to run the 1st half at 8.30 pace and then drop it back over the 2nd half, however, I was averaging nearer 9.00 due to traffic but still managed to catch up with and then overtake the pacers I'd hit my sub-4 A goal by ensuring I either stayed ahead of them or came in just behind them.

5 miles in I rolled my ankle on a discarded drinks bottle, right in the middle of the road, probably my only frustration about the whole event really, trying to dodge through post-water station was like trying to navigate land mines!!

I managed to get ahead of both the 4hr pacers and was feeling good coming over Tower Bridge with the plan now to try and maintain pace for the remainder of the race.

At around 15 miles I almost fell over tripping myself up on a speed hump (early parts of the race the volunteers were shouting these out) after which things started to unravel. By 18 miles I was feeling slightly sick and my calves were begining to tighten up. I walked up one hill in the hope it would kickstart my race on the downhill but it just never happened.

The last 7 miles I ran had to adopt a run/walk tactic as calves were beginning to cramp up but I was determined to not stop completely.

The female 4 hr pacer went past and I was determined to try and stay ahead of the male pacer but was eventually overtaken by him too and then watched as he disappeared into the distance.

With a sub-4 now seemingly out of the question off came the Lucozade pace band with the B goal of sub 4.30 now the focus. To be honest sub 4 was only ever going to be possible should everything have gone to plan for me, this was my first (and likely last) ever marathon and once over 20 miles I was entering previously untrodden territory.

I eventually crossed the finish line in 4.25 which I was over the moon with and couldn't wait to get that medal around my neck.

After that it was the long walk down the remainder of The Mall with a now heavy weight around my neck, a goody bag to carry quickly followed by my kitbag and suddenly the walk to meet my family felt like another marathon in itself!!

A few pictures together on Horse Guards before having a sit down in the park where I managed to get a bit of colour back in my face and spent about 30 minutes trying to munch my way through that protein ball from the goody bag!!!

All in all an amzing day, one I am proud to have experienced, achieving what I set out to do from the outset. I said to my Dad afterwards that a half is far enough to run in future but today I'm sat here thinking why wouldn't I apply to experience it all again, particularly with a bit of unfinished business in terms of finish time!!

Can't fault any of the organisation, everything ran so slickly in my opinion and the crowds throughout were amazing, even if you don't feel so grateful at their upbeat outlook on your race as you walk past their location!!

Anybody reading this who is unsure about whether to apply for 2018 or not as a first timer I'd say go for it. The range of abilities out on that course means that nobody gets left behind and the crowds cheer just as loudly at 3pm as they did at 10am
  • Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭
    @Kinga: "I'm sat here thinking why wouldn't I apply to experience it all again, particularly with a bit of unfinished business in terms of finish time!!".

That's exactly how I feel and it's why I'll be submitting a cheeky entry in the ballot next week!
  • Hey Biko,

I share a very similar story to you, this was my first marathon but I got injured during my training and had to spend most of my time in the gym cross training and strengthening.

On the day of the marathon I had to tape up my knee and my shins and hope to just get round, I was so close to deferring but wanted to run with my best mate to make the whole race more special.

I took it easy expecting my knee to give way at any second, it was sore but by half way it was no worse, my confidence grew. When I reached the Canary wharf section people were dropping like flies, cramp, exhaustion, falling over, jelly legs never seen anything like it, doing a marathon is HARDCORE.

I kept sipping my drink and eating gels and when I reached mile 21 I felt ok, my knee was sore but not agony, I got separated from my mate so decided to go for it, if my knee went now I could walk it home. It felt like I sprinted the last 5 miles and when I looked at the results information on the marathon website I wasn't wrong, in the final 7.2K I passed 2135 runners only 4 passed me.

I got round in 4.52, meh, my half marathon PB is 1.54 so I am left to wonder what could of been if I wasn't injured. But like you I'm not disappointed. The London Marathon is an absolute BEAST of a race, it's epic, huge, the king of all marathons and I took part in it and realised a childhood ambition. I'm still buzzing about it.

Lastly anyone reading this who had to defer and especially who is a marathon first timer I know you must be feeling low, it really sucks. But let me tell you all the training/commitment is worth it, all the running, foam rolling, icing, dieting etc. is so so worth it. Rest up get that injury under control and go again I guarantee you it will be one of the best days of your life.

And yes I did get sunburn on my neck, ouch!
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    KieranG said:

I've got that bloody marathon medal now, which will be a one-off. Because, never again !
    Changed my mind - I'm going again. I can definitely do better - I'm not having 6:42 as my marathon pb for ever more ! Might even go for Chelmsford (my home town) in October - Harmander, are you doing it ? - I reckon I can get to 5 hour pace in 6 months - lose weight, train better, go faster !
  • KieranG,
    Would have loved to but they brought the date a week early this year and despite my impressive skillset, I cannot do Toronto AND Chelmsford on the same day.
    Why not do Toronto instead? £605 includes return tickets and six nights at 4 star race hotel.
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    So you beat me by a minute irunner, with that finish it's likely you were one of the 30 people to pass me ;)
    My finishing time of 4:53 is less than three minutes slower than my wife's PB she set a few weeks ago. I guess I could be disappointed or annoyed, but as you say, childhood ambition fulfilled!
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    KieranG said:
    KieranG said:

I've got that bloody marathon medal now, which will be a one-off. Because, never again !
    Changed my mind - I'm going again. I can definitely do better - I'm not having 6:42 as my marathon pb for ever more ! Might even go for Chelmsford (my home town) in October - Harmander, are you doing it ? - I reckon I can get to 5 hour pace in 6 months - lose weight, train better, go faster !
    I remember at one point during the race promising myself I wouldn't put myself through it again. However, as the days have passed.....

I guess it's like women who give birth... 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Ballot entry for 2018 is next week - chances are statistically pretty small (>250,000 applicants for ballot places last year - even if 10,000 of the places available are ballot places, then the arithmetic speaks for itself), but someone has to get them. And if you do, must be a sign, right? The other thing I would say to anyone thinking about it is that what you see on TV isn't what happens - the crowds that you see supporting the elite runners are pretty sparse, there are many, many more people who turn up to support the "normal" runners - every year I watch on TV and can't believe the difference, you can see big areas with no spectators, but when we run along there it's absolutely packed. Suppose most people come out to see the spectacle and support friends, rather than the elite runners, and I guess the average person with a  limited interest in running probably doesn't really know too much about what's happening at the front of the race and who's involved?
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip said:
     there are many, many more people who turn up to support the "normal" runners - every year I watch on TV and can't believe the difference, you can see big areas with no spectators, but when we run along there it's absolutely packed. 
    My thoughts exactly. I don't think there was a single stretch on Sunday (even through the Isle of Dogs) where there wasn't at least a single line of spectators. In a lot of the popular places they were 3 or 4 deep and there must have been at least 1000 people around Tower Bridge. I eventually finished at 5pm and the crowd along the Mall and in front of the Palace was phenomenal still. People seem to make a huge day out of it, and it's just amazing. 
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    KieranG,

Why not do Toronto instead? £605 includes return tickets and six nights at 4 star race hotel.
    I'll stick to Chelmsford I think - at least I can walk home from there if it all goes wrong on the day !