Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Big_G - I did wonder why they were checking my shoes. I did notice there was a series of columns that they put a mark next to. One good thing is that I havn't heard of any deaths or serious injuries this year.

I've been pottering about the house today and the stiffness has eased to the point I might lace up and head out for a slow 4ish miles. Less than 2 weeks till My next event and 3 weeks after that my next marathon. Plus I've been looking at my next ultra. A 6hr event again in August but this time I'll run for the full 6 hrs..
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't notice them looking at shoes, but they do usually include a question on shoe brands on the registration form and they didn't this year so maybe they were recording it instead? I was quite pleased that they didn't take back the chips as I like to keep these! At the champs start, you have to wear 2 chips (in case one fails) so my son has taken one for a key ring.

Cal - Joe is on the P&D thread - he got a lot of media coverage!

Interesting that Bekele blamed not winning on Sunday on the new Nike shoes that will be used for the sub-2 attempt!! 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - what's your next event?

SK - a London chip makes a great key ring, brilliant idea.

Oh dear, Nike won't be happy with Bekele at all.   At one point in the race he just dropped right back from the pack and looked like he really was in trouble, that must have been when he was having problems with his shoes.   That certainly might have cost him the win.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    You'd think he would have learned by now not to race in new shoes!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think they always race in new shoes, they're not very substantial so I expect one race for each pair of shoes.   But you're right schoolboy error.

Perhaps that secret spring popped through the sole into his foot, back to the drawing board for Nike maybe!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    At the expo last year, the guy in the adidas stand said that some of the Kenyan elite runners would come on the Saturday to choose their shoes for the Sunday race!

He has 2 of the chips on his key ring. I only had one in 2015 so I kept this (somewhere!) and in 2013 they cut it off. 

• JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Shades, left leg isn't too bad but right one is painful and very stiff especially the tendons at the back of the knee, the insides of both thighs feel bruised where the cramps were.
     As for marathons I'm going to apply for the London ballot, shhh don't tell the boss! I don't think I'll get in as I never have before but there's always a first time. I really need to run 20 or so in training and be disciplined and stick to 9.30 per mile and see how I feel. Not listening to advice has been a pattern of my life! I'd like to run one more and enjoy it but I think I'm more suited to the half.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    BTW - the Nike sub-2 attempt is scheduled for 6th May as this was the date Bannister ran the sub-4 mile. But they also have 7th and 8th May as reserve dates in case the weather isn't right.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - me next event is that rat race "dirty weekend" obstacle course. then 27th of may is a saturday night marathon and end of july is the Ironman relay. Got to put in a top notch performance at the relay so I want to add a lot more speed sessions into the mix.. 

SK - I like that idea of the timing chips on your keyring. might do that myself.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    SK -those chips really do make a good key ring.

Jugula - ouch, that does sound painful.   Those cramps must have been bad, were you walking like that Chorlton runner that was helped up the Mall, if you haven't seen it find a clip online.   As a runner it is so painful to watch.

Now if you get into London you will have some explaining to do, but I'm sure we can come up with a good excuse for you by then.

How many marathons have you done now?

Iain - I forgot about your obstacle race!   The IM relay you're doing with a couple of other RW forumites aren't you?

Bloody freezing this morning, we have a heavy frost and ice too.  A little rain yesterday which has frozen and a few very slippery sections on my run, don't expect it this time of year.   6 miles again, no pain in hip/groin.   I'm finding so much less of a chore now it's only alternate days for my exercise routine.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, yeah I noticed the columns too, which made me think the people could be marking different manufacturers for each column.  It could be they were checking for cheats, but I don't know how they related the chip to the race number just from looking at the chip.

SK, good idea about the keyring.  I'll do that too :)

Shades, I had forgotten that story about those barefoot shoes.  I do remember one marathon I did where there was a portly chap wearing them, but he had both legs heavily taped, front and back.  He started pretty well, but went backwards soon after.  At the time I remember thinking that his shoes probably weren't doing him any favours if he needed that much tape, and he just didn't look comfortable running in them.

I was chatting with Fizz's daughter on Facebook, who did London and she's also doing Saturday's marathon.  I mentioned I wasn't 100% sure if was doing it yet and Davey responded saying to let him know, and if I marshal he'll give me a race entry for later in the year, which is kind of him.  I'd like to do the race, but I'll see.  If I don't do it, I'll go to Torquay's last game of the season and then offer to marshal on the Sunday.  It's Claire's 41st birthday on the Saturday though, and Davey has given me race number 41 so I would like to do it, but I'll see.  I've asked him when he needs to know by.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I guess if they saw someone with 2 chips they would then take a note of the race number and then check the results before disqualifying them, if they have championship start, as SK did, they have 2 chips anyway.  They were maybe doing shoe survey as well.

I think if anyone is opting for a completely minimalist shoe then they should ensure that they're not carrying any excess weight themselves. Don't see so many running in Vibram or even minimalistic shoes now.   Often larger guys need to run in something such as Brooks Beast when they start running.

Are you not sure about Saturday's marathon because of your recovery from London?   Are Torquay out of the relegation zone now?

I contacted Davey too yesterday to change my club.   I entered as unaffiliated and then discovered yesterday that the race is permitted with ARC so I should have entered as affiliated after all.   I mentioned to Lesley last year about permitting with ARC but she didn't seem keen, I'd entered really early and assumed it was with UKA again.   I don't think the race is full, so no waiting list as far as I know.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it's just this knee niggle and also the groin still isn't 100%.  I would like to do it though as I've never done two in a week.  My legs feel much better today after my run yesterday so I'm fairly sure that if I make the start line I could get around, but I don't want to make it worse.  Yes, Torquay has it in their own hands now and not relying on other results.   If they win their last game, they stay up, which is a massive turn around from a couple of weeks ago.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - surely it would be quite easy to hide another chip without people seeing as you could put it under your one or even in your sock!

Still haven't done a recovery run (sorry Shades) but legs feel a lot better today so will get out later. I'm managing to go down stairs with just one foot on each stair, if that makes sense!

Big G - I'd be cautious about running this weekend if you still have the niggles. Post London 2015 was when I couldn't run for a few weeks as I didn't take it easy enough in the 2 weeks after the race and I hate not being able to run in the Spring/Summer!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - was that 6 miles continuous running with no pain? That's an improvement, no? Keep up the exercises!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Speaking of which, a rather horrible run today after two days' rest. Cold with an icy wind. I did my minimum 4 miles (very easy 11 min/mi) but did the third mile faster (9:30), mostly so I could get back out of the wind.
    My butt is aching quite a lot, but seems worse after two rest days. But it could just be feeling a bit cross because I did a fair bit of rehab stuff yesterday, space throughout the day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you still have a couple of days to decide.   I wonder if your groin niggle is running related at all as you ran the marathon without it troubling you?

Torquay put their fans through such stress, never mind the players and club too.

SK - yes I'm sure you could easily hide a 2nd chip but isn't this the first time they've been checking shoes at the finish and the obvious place to put it is under the other chip and I expect they were looking for that.  

Good that you can now walk down stairs in a normal manner.   You always suffer a lot after your marathons.  :'(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - yes, another pain free run today, but I've had quite a few of them and then I do a run and get a twinge again.    I'm keeping my runs this week short, no more than 6 miles and I'm hoping Saturday's marathon won't be too painful.

Cal - ouch, that sounds like a tough run today, the cold doesn't help the glute muscles warm up, does it?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thinking about it now, I thought he really studied my chip, kind of looking under it.  At the time I thought it strange, but I didn't think too much about it.  When I took it off after the race I looked at it and couldn't work out what he was looking at as there were no marks on there for the race number or anything, so maybe he was checking for two chips.  As you say, maybe they were doing two things (checking chips and manufacturers), or maybe he wasn't studying my chip at all and looking at the precise model of the shoes I was wearing?  Whatever, it's quite a job presuming they were doing that for every runner!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I think VLM are determined to stop as much cheating as possible.

Boston have a real problem with bandit runners, I nearly did mention to you about posting a photo of your race number.   Apparently a girl put a photo of her Boston number on Instagram and several people copied the number and there were at least 4 runners with the same number, that was a couple of years ago.   http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire/runner-says-4-others-bandited-with-her-number-at-boston

I've heard of runners lining up for London wearing the previous year's number but I think they've altered the numbers now so that can be spotted.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - when I searched by my number on the marathon photos site, there was a young girl with my number as well as me and for a moment I thought she was a bandit runner. Then I realised that she was running in the children's race but with the same number.

They were a lot stricter checking kit on the champs start his year. You had to go through everything with someone with a clipboard and at one point she said they might have to cover up my name! I pointed out it was the same vest as last year and when I looked around, loads of the runners had their names on them (including the girl who was 1st from the champs/mass start who I noticed at the start as she'd written all her splits on her hand!)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - well in Boston the bandit runners are proud of their achievements and I guess London are worried that it might become a trend here.   Now it's possible for anyone to reproduce an identical race number including a bar code, these folk don't want to pay an entry fee just want to run, get the medal/shirt etc and think they're so clever doing so.

Maybe the VLM official thought your name was 'advertising', as your name is more unusual.

On another RW thread a runner whose husband was injured and had already deferred once had the cheek, not to ask if she could run in her husband's place but to ask if she would get caught.   Of course I ripped her head off, other forumites were of the same opinion except one dickhead that told her to go ahead, it was her right as they'd paid the entry fee.   The original poster hasn't even had the balls to come back on the thread.  I sincerely hope that if she ran, she gets caught, it's a one year ban for her and her husband from UKA if they do get caught and a lifetime ban from VLM.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - a girl from a local club has been running really well in the build up and I thought she had a good chance of going sub-3 as she ran this pace for a 20 mile race. I looked her up in the results but she wasn't there. I found out that she'd pulled out halfway with an injury (she'd started even faster than sub-3 pace), but when I looked up her number, it had someone else's name. If I was going to run a huge PB and race of my life, I'd want it under my name!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - so she pulled out at halfway but someone else finished with her race number? How did they manage that?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK - or do you mean she started with someone else's number, and that number had her splits up until she pulled out?  Very naughty if that's the case, especially for a club runner. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If that's what she did Big G she's maybe jeopardised her chances of ever running at County/National level.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    No, she never had her own number, she started with someone else's number (probably an injured friend) but pulled out at halfway (which I saw on strava) with a leg injury. Just thought it was weird to run with someone else's number when she could get a GFA or champs place!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    As she's fast why would she risk her running future by running as an unauthorised runner, her club need to explain that to her.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, Some heated debates going on here! :) 

There's a lot of the bib changing going on. There were a few posts on Facebook with people offering their VLM bibs for hundreds of pounds! It's really annoys me. 

Shades - You say that VLM are trying to come down on the cheating but when i've sent them two people who I know cheated they didnt even have the courtesy of a reply nor did they remove them from the results! I guess it's only if it's prolific or very obvious? (Like the guy who ran the second half in less than an hour?).

Big G - Personally, i'd trot along to Plym and just do it nice and easy and see how you get on. It should be a lovely day (but i'm one of those awful ones!).

First run for me (i did do as I was told and rested ;-)). 10K gentle plod with the dogs and I really enjoyed it. I'm still not sure what's left for me for the rest of the year yet. A friend has suggested that we run a 'fun' half together as she wants to push under 1.50 and I think that I can do that too so we're going to find a nice one in May/June and then see what the rest of the year holds. I'm already down for GiantsHead but that's a special one for me :)
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:

Iain - I forgot about your obstacle race!   The IM relay you're doing with a couple of other RW forumites aren't you?
    Shades - yeah we are all low carbers and are wanting to prove that fat is a much more sustainable fuel source for endurance athletes. Plus the shirts the were are cool.  Yellow with a black skull and cross bones.