Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great photo that says it all, GD.

In contemplative mood waiting for MsEsq's surgery and getting nervous about mine. I want to ask you all, "why do you run?"

I rather like Bannister's quote: "running has given me a glimpse of the greatest freedom that a man can ever know, because it results in the simultaneous liberation of both body and mind."
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - hope MsEsq gets on OK today. Good luck juggling all those responsibilities!
    Leslie - good hilly MLR.
    GM - nice double.
    Lorenzo - pleased to hear you're already thinking about what to change next time around.
    Poacher - 21 mile bike ride the day after London!
    GD - your mate looks like he is really suffering there.
    13 miles @ 7:31 this morning.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice pics!

Legs are definitely still very sore, although sports masseuse reassured me the AT is ok (and it hasn't felt grumbly today: getting ice on it Sunday pm was clearly a good move).  Made the decision to have travel jabs last night (going to Sri Lanka next month) and so now have sore arms to add to rest of sore body.  Fool.
  • How do you know I haven't got a mass of hidden tats?! ;)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gul nice bit of steady running.
    Gdawg looks like suffering alright in that pic.
    Jools best get all the soreness over in one go and the arm pain will help mask the mashed legs !
    MSE It's great to get outdoors when the sun is shining (which isn't that often lets be honest ! ) ,time to myself to chill and I like the competitive side too with races.During mara training we are always tired though which isn't so good but means to an end.

12m today 7:58 average with a good few 7:40's in there and only a brief spell of hail ...feels cold so hat and gloves on today as we are having all 4 seasons every hour .
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Impressive results all round I would say.  Tales of those who met their goals and those who didn't.  It is heartwarming for me to hear these tales.  It's actually quite motivating on the comeback PB trail to see how all of you have performed off various training regime whether 100mile+ weeks or swinging a mattock.

I don't have marathon legs in the least. It shows I don't have have the fitness to push myself hard.  Which is good as I'm running tonight.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hear, hear, BI.
    I must say that the performances from the people I tracked, both on here and from elsewhere, at the weekend are outstanding. Sure, some may feel they missed targets and it didn't go exactly to plan but there are some mighty fine times for those that are disappointed.

Someone has already said, we set such high targets for ourselves and I reckon we sometimes forget where we are placed in the whole scheme of things when compared against the majority of the field in these mass events. Single figure finish place percentage, the pointy end of the field. Reading that back that sounds rather conceited but I never dreamed I would go from hitting the wall for a 3.47 in 2006 to qualifying for London, Boston and others years later.

It's thanks to you lot for being so inspirational. Well bloody done, team, you should be so proud of yourselves! So there!! B)

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Exactly BikeIt. You aren't injured and can run!  Winning!

Thanks for the well wishes for MsEsq. We are now home and he seems to be recovering nicely.  I have to remember to keep dosing him up with pain killers as I think it will feel quite sore when the general anaesthetic and nerve block wears off.  He said to me, "I am not injured anymore am I, now the surgeon has fixed me?"  No, son. Now you start on that road to recovery and getting strong again.  Take it one day at a time.  <3
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    healing vibes to MsEsq  . . . .    

"why do we run" ?  

hmm - well, in my 31 years of doing so, now in my 32nd, I've probably had many reasons.
    At this time tomorrow, 6 minutes into race#3 of the Road League Series , I'm pretty sure I'll be asking the question, but with an expletive or two present . . . . . .  
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    Not checked in for a while but really good to see some great marathon efforts at the weekend.

I am still targeting Berlin so doing some "base building" with the 18 week to go mark kicking off on 22 May.

I've decided to reject my prior P&D approach and go with Daniel's (although perhaps not that much different)! Basically adopting the philosophy of 2 quality workouts per week and the fit the 80% easy/steady mileage in wherever. Rationale for this is to put less emphasis on the MLR prescribed by P&D. With a 10 month old baby, it is easier for me to fit in, say, a 6m + 8m double run-commute than a 14m MLR. Most of my miles will be run commutes and expect doubles will allow me to do more miles overall.

I have also been reading more that the Kenyans would typically adopt "doubles" (or even "trebles") over a single long run as multiple runs stimulates the aerobic system proportionality more than a single longer run. Not sure if this is right or wrong but will be an interesting experiment.

On top of that I think Daniel's focuses more on VO2 max early on and then M pace later, reverse of P&D.

I think I have already benefited from doubles and increased mileage in recent weeks. I am now down to around 8:00 to 8:10 for easy pace (in fact today the run commute for 7 miles was 7:55 pace). Pleased considering I was running 9 minute miles around the new year.

Did Paddock Wood Half on 2 April in 1:36 (7:22 pace) but have clearly progressed since then; next race is London 10,000. Feels like sub 40 may be out of reach but sub 42 could be realistic.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    MsE - pleased to hear all went well for MsEsq. Missed your first post yesterday. As for you question, I can't give an answer as deep as Sir Roger's! But I guess I mainly run because I enjoy the actual physical activity. I also like setting myself a challenge or a target and the satisfaction that comes from achieving it. On the flip side, I don't like admitting defeat, so I'm not going to stop trying to get a sub 3:15 until it finally happens or it becomes an impossibility.
    Jools - in for a penny...
    Leslie - yes, crazy weather, isn't it?
    Birch - sometimes, it's best not to ask yourself that question! All the best with the race today.
    SEdan - good to hear from you again. We have to be adaptable and work with whatever options are available. I've never experimented with doubles - good luck. I have tried focussing on speedwork earlier in the campaign and then tempo and it worked well. Consistency is the key and if you get a good solid uninterrupted 18 weeks in you should be in with a shout. All the best.
    15 miles this morning. 7 @ 8:36 and 8 @ 7:26 (that pace sounds familiar for some reason...) Slipped over when taking a 90 degree turn 0.25M before the end and took skin off my knee. Ribs are also sore now. 40 miles in 3 days, so might take a rest tomorrow or at least take it easy.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Race pics are in....
    Very fetching. ;)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - In answer to your question "why do you run"? There are lots of reasons for me. Firstly... I was inspired by my Dad who is a runner and when I was a young boy growing up as a kid in the 80's watching the great runners like Coe, Cram, Ovett, Coughlan and so on. I just loved seeing them run. Interestingly though I was never a fan of the act of running myself. I was very sporty as a kid but loathed XC and pre-season training. I only started nearly aged 37 and now I just love tapping into the zone and most times it feels fluid in the body and mind. I just love the movement and being outdoors too, I am so happy I took up running, I couldn't imagine life without it now, it makes me feel totally alive! :)  
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    MsE - My answer has evolved over time. So in chronological order from approx age 5: To catch / avoid being caught playing tag; to avoid being punched after making a wise crack at an older / tougher kids expense; (now into adulthood) to de-stress and manage my out of proportion annoyance at trivial incidents; to see explore the local countryside; to see how long I can keep going for; to get a faster race time; to maximise my performance (more recently) to stay fit and counter alcoholic calories. 
    After taking a break from racing (where training stopped being fun and started to feel like a part-time job), I have realised I enjoy running hills off road in the countryside and 'competing' in events where completing a challenging course in the company of others, rather than the time, is the object of the event. 
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Recovering vibes to MsE

Where are you going in SL Jools? If you get to Candy and enjoy queuing for nothing, I can recommend the 2 hour queue at the temple of the tooth. 

Loranzo,
    I was going to say you look better running than the guys in white and yellow doing the 3 legged race just behind you, but now I am more concerned about the chaffing your tattoo seems to have suffered. Looks a bit sore. 

Gul - You are cracking out some impressive mileage at a good pace there. When is the big race? Hope the knee is just a surface graze.

Sedan - If you completed PW you are probably from my neck of the woods. The best plan is the plan that you can stick to. I have a copy of a marathon training plan from a lady who ran sub 2.45 in the 1980s. Looks very basic and uncomplicated compared to plans of today. The key is consistent consistency. 
    However looking at your HM time I think you might need to review your paces. Easy pace (recovery) should probably be closer to 9 mins. I did a 1.33HM last week in training and I consider easy pace to start at 8.30m/m. 
    I think double days can work well. Especially if you do a session for one direction and the other can be an easy recovery run (time on feet can benefit you here). I also think you are right that the current thinking in the endurance world seems to be start with speed and become more event specific (MP) as the event gets closer. 

Good luck in the road series race Birch

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Keir: initially Colombo (o/h is doing some external examining there), but I will probably go to Dambulla for a few days whilst he's working - or maybe Kandy, which you've made sound really enticing ;)  Finish with a few days in Tangalle.
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I've really enjoyed reading all the race reports from Sunday - as always it's a mixture of emotions coming through - the marathon really does that, whether it's a good or bad emotion. 

From a spectator's standpoint I really got to see the agony and the ecstasy in the last mile.  Unfortunately I also got a view of the guy who had a (a'hem) "wardrobe malfunction" with his undergarments....(if you've seen that doing the rounds), and one "gingerbread man" incident which was...err...unfortunate.  Thankfully my 78-year old mother standing next to me missed both of those!

Lorenzo - I did see you and gave you a shout.  You did look in a bit of pain!  Contrast with Jools who I also saw and looked very bouncy.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Joolska: matter of opinion but IMO Kandy tooth temple is pretty interesting, plus there is a huge botanical garden outside town if you like than kind of thing. In Colombo, Gallery Cafe for dinner, and Galle Face Hotel for the seafront bar/restaurant. Sigiraya rock if poss, avoiding hornets. And Dambulla caves. Jealous.

Freemers - that sounds awful - has the poor fella been humiliated by the power of the web?

Gul - what race are you targeting (apart from the S****sp***e)?  You must be in v good shape right now. Too scared to risk another smackdown against you.

15m bike today, legs not impressed.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    GFA for London announced. I've qualified for next year anyway but this year I turn 50.  :/
    Does your age only count on the day of the race or do you have to hit the GFA time at the specified age age?

For Boston and others you can be 49 when you hit the GFA but be 50 on the day of the race. Same for London?
  • Freemers - I'd like to say that that wasn't pain, but focused determination although I think you could be right. Either that or it was the moment that tattoo started chafing!

Jools - hope your arms have stopped aching. I've had SL on my holiday list for a while now so look forward to hearing what it's like.

G-Dawg - I think it's based on your age on the day of the race for London as well, rather than when you did the GFA

Why do I like running? A combination of stuff I guess
    - partly because I love being outdoors and when you've got an office-based job, there's always the risk of spending the whole day inside
    - partly because it gives a real sense of achievement, whether it's time in a marathon / shorter race or distance in an Ultra
    - partly because I see so many people of my age (or younger) who have forgotten what exercise is all about and are a couple of small steps from major health issues
    - partly because it enables to pretty much eat what I want, although I've got certain golden rules like not eating biscuits in meetings!
    - partly because it's great to see people so impressed that you've run into work / done a 20 mile training run / run a 45 mile race "for fun"

Interesting one about speed then more event specific stuff as that would fit in nicely with my plans for the next few months:
    - 5 weeks prep for Ultra at the beginning of June
    - 2 months worth of speed sessions, hopefully making it down to track sessions at the club on a Thursday, complemented by plenty of cycling over the summer months.
    - more specific marathon training (reverting back to a 12 week P&D plan?) in time for an autumn marathon

First run since Sunday planned for tomorrow morning - just an easy commuting one.
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

G-Dawg - it's definitely your age on the day of the race, rather than when you achieved the GFA.  But don't be so defeatist - you'll be gunning for the sub 3 next year (or later this year?) anyway so will be qualifying with a time of a much younger man... :)

Poacher - I saw something about the wardrobe malfunction on the web somewhere. Some woman had "accidentally" (yeah right) taken a photo and posted it.  The version I saw was pixillated.  That's the version I saw online, not the version on the day, you understand..... :s

Out of interest, has anyone worked out how to get the emojis to work properly on this new site?  Whenever I put one in it shifts it to the start of my post.  I then have to cut & paste it back to the right place.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Keir - thanks, the knee is fine. More concerned about the ribs. And no race booked at the moment, but hoping to do an autumn marathon.
    Poacher - I think you would trounce me in a smackdown just at the moment!
    Lorenzo - Nice plan! Things don't seem to be working out this year, but am very tempted to try an ultra seeing as there are several in Norfolk, organised by the same guy who runs the Norfolk Coastal marathon.
    Freemers - No. I just tried inserting an emoji and it did the same for me :(
    Ribs were fairly sore yesterday, so no running this morning. Trying to remember how long I had off at the end of 2015 when I bruised my ribs on the left-hand side (right-hand side this time). A few weeks I seem to recall...
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Which Ultra Lorenzo? A good plan there.

Gul - go back through the thread. This thread can be a useful record if you don't have a training diary. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Not very emoji savvy at the best of times!

30 min on cross trainer today. Achilles seems ok so will try a short jog on the flat tomorrow.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - hope AT is ok.
    Keir - don't have training diary with me, but your post prompted me to check on run hub. Just over 5 weeks - eeek!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Looks like my kind of plan Sedan. Double days a regular for me
    Hope you are ok Gul.  Becomes a frequent thing for me these days.
    Enjoy the hols Jools, also had my first run today.
    Take care of the youngster MSE. My reasons are much the same as others but I do love racing and the banter with friends.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Gul I hope it's nothing serious and certainly not 5 weeks out with your ribs again, so easy to have a tumble .I went to cross at a traffic island with speed bumps a few weeks ago and caught my toe on the ramp and went flying forward ,how I managed not to headbutt the tarmac I've no idea !
    I think  doubles are no substitute for a mlr in mara training  though it's certainly easier on the body, however it may be the only way to get the miles/ fit in with the rest of your day so can work well for some.

20.2 miles at 7:45 m/mile this morn.
     Plan was 14 at mara pace which I set at 6:45, 5 steady miles around 7:45 to start then in the mara pace ,even in the steady bit it seemed I didn't quite have it and 6 miles into the mara section the wheels came off ,the game was mostly over in the next 2 miles and I crawled back to the car at 8:45 pace with another 7 miles to do ! I Probably needed another easy day before tackling that run and paid the price ....
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Confession time - I've been lurking on here for a couple of years now, trying to get better times by absorbing all your positive postings, but had never had the courage to post.
    Last Sunday I was running at London, and there was a constant niggle in my head of "Lorenzo, Lorenzo, why does that mean something to me? what have I forgotten?". Now seeing G-Dawg's photo, and my eyebrows floating over your head, it all becomes clear!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

It's turning into a decent week here for me. 3.1/6.9 Monday, 4 Tuesday, 3.1/9 Wednesday & 3.1/5 today. So, that's 3 doubles making up the mileage. I've still yet to run further than 10 miles since November. Speaking of which, I have entered a 10 mile race on Sunday. It's a mix of road, coastal cliff path and trail, probably 50:50 trail/road. There is a huge steep hill at around the 3 mile mark and that's after negotiating a very tricky cliff path with sand and very rocky narrow sections. I've done it once in 2012 and it's a tricky one to pace as the mile 1-2 is flat road, 3-4 is uphill trail, 5-7 is downhill trail and then you hit the road at sea level and run around the arc of the south coast bay. I'm hoping the weather is ok as it's a tough course without having to battle the elements as well. Will have a proper read back later but I hope your ribs are not as bad as you think Gul

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for not commenting properly. I've just read back but my brain is so addled from the drugs I'm feeling distinctly intellectually challenged. Suffice to say hope it's nothing major, Gul. Welcome to the new eyebrows on the thread, Andy

The boy is recovering well and I'm sitting with my foot up after successful surgery to reattach the ruptured ligament and scrape away the bony growth. The surgeon said it will be capable of handling trails once more. Just got to rehab diligently. Couldn't be more pleased and feel very optimistic. Yippppeeee!