Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good for age is 3.15 so I assumed fgfa would require something a next level up?
  • Congrats to all the VLM finishers. I've enjoyed the reports so far.

I'm moving house on Monday, hence not being particularly active on here, or actually doing any running of late.

My work has just introduced flexitime though, so with earlier finishes I plan to start a steady mileage build up after the move, and try and get some semblance of fitness back.

• TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    Hi DT, simple question, of the people on TTT how many have 20 mile times? If its the minority then at this point i dont think it'd be worth adding another field just for the sake of completeism (is that a word? I didnt get much sleep last night)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with completeness for that sentence. I would say a clear minority there, though given at least 5 people aren't posting, I think the tally should be taken from those that are posting?
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Well done marafunners, sounds like some excellent performances all round. I've enjoyed the reports so far. Reading them and seeing marathon reports from people at my club made me slightly envious, although on balance I'm pretty glad I opted out of a spring marathon this year.

Generally plodding around at the moment, could with a little bit of focus I think.

• lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Nice report muddy.  Loved the orthopedic terminology, though I didn't understand much of it.  Will definitely get my report written asap.
    I think fgfa is sub 3hrs or thereabouts.
    I haven't run, and have no intention of running a 20mile race.
    Like DT - I generally don't ask or volunteer a time unless I'm asked.  Unless I'm talking to someone who I assess as a 'proper runner' then I assume that I was much quicker and don't want to appear boastful.  When asked, however, I do also stress that this year was a bit of a disaster and I was much quicker last year.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I have a 20 mile time, but I didn't race it and suspect most people don't but just use it as a pre-marathon training run. I also have times for the classic 7 and 8 mile distances, the latter of which should arguably be included as it is on Power of 10, if we are aiming for completeism (sic).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lou has run a 19 mile race though...he obviously draws the line at that...

We have all been there, Lou, having people congratulate us on a time we are much better than. It's annoying.

I was just discussing with my colleagues about medal selling and one of them piped up that the marathon is all for charity so it's only ok if you donate the money to charity. I've retreated to my office where I am now sat in the corner of the room gently rocking!!!

• See why there are rules TTT'Dan? :D

These fuckwits are a nightmare - good luck with them. :p
  • mace said:
     a quick pin prick and it's job done.
    That's what I tell Mrs Skinny! >:)
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT & Muddy, really enjoyable reports there and great times from both of you even if Muddy was a little off what he wanted. I have to say the pain that seems to be involved doesn't make me relish my marathon debut!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    What about MY report Mr V??? No pain in there (except Fifi1's 10-mile cramp experience). I forgot to add earlier, I think, that Fifi2 and Manfifi got so excited by the pipe band playing Scotland the Brave that they danced a reel during the actual race.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Lit to be honest your report was just too long and I couldn't be bothered to read it.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Unsurprisingly I have ran a 20 mile race, but I didn't race it. If we're including 20 mile times then we should also include 30k race times.  

• London (The) Marathon

I was looking forward to this. 

Autumn 2016, after a bit of illness at the end of the summer, I was running well again.  October saw an modest pb in the Oxford half and, after a brief rest I happily ramped up the miles for the Naunton 19 in early Jan.  That was a toughie though, on the day after the County Cross Champs, and I ran out of steam in the freshly ploughed fields toward the end.

So I was starting the campaign in much better shapes than I was at the same time last year.  The plan was not to do anything radical, but follow the same P&D55 plan, with an extra 5 miler or x-training session to boost the mileage, just a little, above last years tally.  This went well initially and I was feeling like I was progressing well.

Then we went skiing, McF crocked her knee, and it felt like every waking hours was spend carry, kids or skis, or shopping or something. I was knackered.  And when we got home I continued to feel knackered.  Running became a chore. I was out pounding the streets, on my own, in the dark, after the kids were in bed, when I should have been in bed.  Warwick Half, which I intended to run a PMP was a failure.  Coventry Half, where I hoped to achieve a decent pb was disappointing – about 1 minute slower than 2016. Niggles were starting to develop, first my right calf, then my left hamstring.  Fortunately, both recovered surprisingly quickly, but  I wasn’t enjoying it.  I felt like I was going backwards.  I needed some inspiration, some reassurance, just something concrete to gauge my fitness.

So, two weeks out, I did Stratford Parkrun more or less the same weekend as 2016.  On the start line I realised that I didn’t really know what pace I should be aiming for, just a vague notion of 5:50 – 5:540, something like that.  Fortunately a couple young chaps from the club came along to and I followed them round a decent 16s pb.  Perhaps more importantly about 25s quicker than last year.  It was exactly what I needed and for the following week of taper I felt ready; I was up for it again.

Then the sniffles arrived.  One week out and eldest child was clearly showing the symptoms of slapped cheek syndrome, Friday and middle child had a massive temperature and I was feeling pretty glum. But she recovered by Saturday morning and we all travelled to London as planned.

Race day morning was a little more rushed than I would like, getting kids dressed and fed in time for them to get their train to their spectating point.  But I get a lift to the start in plenty of time really enjoyed wandering round, chatting to various friends and some of the guys hoping for fancy dress world records, peering into the celebrity enclosure (recognised Chris Evans and Sian Lloyd) and soaking up the marathon atmosphere.  I even enjoyed queueing for the toilets.

Into the starting pen and were really squashed in.  I’m standing next to the 3:00 pacer and would like to be in front of him but there’s no room to move.  Then we’re off.  As we shuffle forward I hear DT – he’s outside the pen with hundreds of other trying to squeeze in.  The first few miles are really crowded – I keep trying to stay ahead of the 3:00 pacer, but there’s no space to get into a rhythm.  I keep hopping up onto the footpath, swerving round trees and spectators and pushchairs.  This is no fun.

No space to run and with the 3:00 hoards chasing me down.  Then the red start merged and got even busier.  Then the blue start merged and it got busier still.  And I now found myself behind the 3:00 pacer group from the blue start, so I battled through that lot.  It wasn’t until about 7 miles in that it felt like there was enough room to hold a steady pace.  Then an overexcited chap cut across to greet a spectator, clipped my heels and almost sent me sprawling.  I just managed to stay on my feet and shouted back ‘you f***ing idiot’.  I rarely shout and this demonstrated how tense and frustrated I was feeling.

A group of three clubmates were running close together, obviously having started late on the red start as they should be a minute or two ahead by this point, so I make an effort to ease off a bit and let them go.  Pace is about right according to plan, but it feels like I’m working a bit to hard, so when I go through halfway in 1:28:23 I decide ease off, just a little in an effort to safeguard sub3. 

Is Tower Bridge before the halfway point?  It’s supposed to be inspiring and uplifting due to the masses of enthusiastic support, but I found the noise oppressive and tried to shut it out.  I’d expected this – I don’t like noise – I’d probably so totally convinced myself that I wouldn’t like the noise of London, that it was inevitable that wherever the support was at it’s loudest, be it brass bands, drummers, wedding djs or banks of spectators, my irritation, loathing even, was greatest.

In amongst the baying hoards was a fair number of travelling Spa Striders supporters including McFand family and it was great to see and hear their support.  I saw three clubmate support in just enough time for the customary swerve for a row of high-fives.  Didn’t stop me muttering obscenities if anyone else nearby did it though.

By 18 miles I was starting to tire and took my third gel.  I started with four, two caffeine and two normal, with the intention of having one every five miles; normal, caffeine, normal, caffeine; however, I forgotten to have one at 15 miles, so decided to have another caffeine.  It was foul, I struggled to get it down, and seemingly almost immediately I developed a stitch just above my left hip.  Nothing to concerning and I continued only moderately hindered.  Then I developed a similar stitch on the right side.  This was starting to get uncomfortable and I was running with two knuckles wedged into my abdomen.

I was starting to struggle and when DT passed me looking strong and determined it took quite an effort to catch him and exchange a few words.  Shortly after, or maybe before, a more intense and debilitating stitch developed on my upper right side and from this point I had to stop and walk occasionally with my hand stretched up above my head.  The crowd noise was phenomenal at this stage and whenever I started running again it seemed to increase slightly. ‘Are they cheering for me?’ I thought, and this was both irritating and encouraging.

So it continued for the remaining distance, whatever that was.  I remember passing a 5k to go sign and thinking if I could run this at parkrun pb pace I might just get under 3 hours.  That might have been bollocks though, because my brain was pretty scrambled.

And then it was all over. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That was a delightful read, Lou, as it reminded me of many things such as jumping on pavements and also passing your female clubmate (in your fb picture) around 16 miles..It's also interesting as I was pissed off last week that my wife wouldn't exempt me from stuff from midweek whilst you were engaged race day, despite your wife being a runner. It's never crossed my mind before, but maybe I'm slightly unreasonable/unrealistic.

• That race seems very familiar Lou, particularly the way the first 6 miles went. I am still kicking myself about expending such a lot of effort to get through the crowds. My first 5k wasn't far off 10k effort, ffs. 

How have you been since? Could you be tempted to do the much quieter Shakespeare week on Sunday ?

Lit - the pace on the long runs had a couple of drivers - heart rate and an agreed babysitting window. Also I had that advice about running more at the top end of easy to stop me using my calves as bouncy brakes. And that worked! My calves came out of the campaign in not too bad a shape.

It is still a point to consider though that my longest duration run was around 2 hrs 20 and I reckon I could benefit from a slower run just to get more time on my feet to make it more like the marathon. That's partly why I was considering a fortnightly long run, as it would alternate with parenting and I would have more time flexibility. 
  • I was hoping I would be able to get up and go on the morning, but mcf had a lie-so was running late for the train. The house we were staying in had four storeys with kitchen on the bottom and our room on the top floor. Lots of carrying of a toddler up and down stairs involved.
    We all went to the expo too. I would have spent more time there and had a proper look around had I not had to carry kids around. Even for small local races I much prefer to travel alone if it's a pb attack.
    Muddy - do you mean do the Shakespeare marathon? No chance. Legs are ok today but felt like jean Claude van damme had gon to town in my quads earlier in the week.
    i might do Birmingham or Abingdon in the autumn, but I'm waiting for confirmation of whether mcf needs an op before making any firm plans.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Good report lou. The stitch sounds awful. I think they probably were cheering for you though. I think the race definitely gets the most crowded around popular targets, as when I was running a chunk slower (2013) or faster (2015) than 3 hour pace there was plenty of space. It actually wasn't too bad for me and Fifi this year either, except in the parts where the course narrows.

Muddy- oh yes, I remember about the calf thing now, which was an issue I was also having when my achilles were really stiff. It just seems a shame to have to feel knackered all the time and I can see how that would make marathon training less appealing!

I went back to the track last night. Apparently we are now working on speed, so we got to do 200s with quite long intervals. Ouch.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Lou - cheers for that, another top report B) It sounds as though life and training combined caught up with you a bit and maybe a bit of rest and then some casual running as and when for a while may be what you need. I can't imagine doing all that with kids so young, I have a pal with SIX kids under the age of 7 who has done VLM 4 times now ( first in 2010 ). He does all his training from about 9pm when the kids have all gone to bed - his longest training run this year was 13M and that was just the once.

Re the congestion, i didn't really have any problems in '15 ahead of 3 hours but i noticed the difference last year following the 3 pacer. Several times i had my heels clipped and runners cutting directly across my path to get to spectators / water stations.
  • Hi Lou - i really enjoyed that too and it just shows how many different things can go wrong to ruin a marathon effort even if you don't get injured.

Looking back (hindsight being what it is) do you regret battling past the 3 hour pace group from the Blue start? You could just have tucked in and run with them. Presumably at some point in the last 5k (or earlier) you had the misery of all three of the 3 hour pace groups passing you? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have said a few times to friends, even if you survive the training, there are a good 7 or 8 different things that can happen to ruin your marathon and you need none of them to go wrong, as well as have the fitness to have a good day.
  • DT19 said:

well done.....looks like sub 3 is a given......
    Yes DT - friends have the frustrating habit of saying the stupidest things when you are training for a marathon. :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Do you store these comments in some sort of easily accessible folder to pull out in appropriate circumstances?

Was that in response to Lou's parkrun? I cannot even remember saying that. It just goes to show how hard a marathon is (by that I include the training and build up).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Even I managed 5 out of 10 Skinny and gave up thinking about them after the fifth, pitching purely for guesswork in seconds.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    I think i made a similar comment. I have a habit of f*@ing things up for Lou

Which reminds me, have we seen much of Charlie since i tipped him as ' one to watch ' this year !?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I got 9/10 (though I hesitated), Skinny, because #2 had two possible grammatically-correct answers and it's a question of style. I prefer to treat Biblical and classical names the same as other names (see #6) but evidently the BBC style guide doesn't.
  • DT19 said:

Do you store these comments in some sort of easily accessible folder to pull out in appropriate circumstances?

Was that in response to Lou's parkrun? I cannot even remember saying that. It just goes to show how hard a marathon is (by that I include the training and build up).

My brain?

No it was in response to my Haweswater Half Marathon in early March. To be honest I doubt the filing system in my brain would have left a comment about Lou in the easily accessible area.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace, Charlie had pulled back his training last September, so are you sure you tipped him for this year or was it last year?

Some advice.... does this plan work? When I am recovered in mid May I am going to follow the 10k schedule from my book. It looks very unpleasant but needs must. I will supplement it with a proper long run of 15 miles. This will take me until I am due to go on holiday for first 2 weeks of August, I then return and have 9 weeks before the Brum mara. Is that sufficient time, based on having just trained for a mara and being retained at 15 miles to get the extra endurance in?