My Last Run

Comments

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see you Cal, albeit rather briefly!
    You did a great time- I found that it took months, rather than weeks, after marathons, to get back to form.  You should be happy you did it. Now take it easy before Liverpool!

It was a great race for me.  I had a pace in mind which I tested over the first few miles, and it felt really comfy, so I stuck at that pace pretty consistently, and finished about 20-30 seconds slower than my PB. Didn't see my official time yet, but Garmin time is 1.53.  I felt strong and achieved what I wanted. I now much more confident and feel that if I can lose some weight and work at the shorter distances over the summer, I can hopefully target a sub 1,50 HM in the autumn and then a sub 4 marathon next spring.
  • Hope this counts as I did my 3rd PR yesterday. As a novice runner I kept a slows pace as notice burn out. Which as it turned out was the right thing to do as on Strava I set plenty of pbs.  I started at the back as I don't want to hold anyone up. The first time through the Orchard was walking pace as its quite narrow. Plus just over 300 runners aren't going to go through easily just after the start. 

I just kept a steady pace and if I thought I was closing on anyone I stayed with them for a bit just to make sure I wasn't going to use too much energy getting passed. Our PR is 3 laps, for my I like this as I know how far it is to go.

The 1st  lap went OK and I felt fine, at the end of the 2nd lap I thought I was going to get the stitch, but it never really arrived. 

The 3rd lap my feet started to feel as though my feet were on fire on my soles.  So I slowed slightly and took to grass when I could while he seemed to ease the feeling. 

No PB but I wasn't expecting one, just as always glad to finish. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It has you down as 1:54.01. Damn gun times eh?
    Welcome, WorksS25 - I take it you're talking parkrun? Well done on the PR.
  • Waiting for my ability to start a post to kick in but in the meantime as a newbie here...

Went to 4th Parkrun yesterday - Strava said 30:22 which was exciting (asthmatic woman so sub-30 would be amazing for me) but official time said 31:20. I'll get there! At the moment, even just the feeling of being able to run and not gasping for breath is still a lovely novelty so I'm happy to improve gradually and enjoy the journey.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome! Yeah, parkrun is timed from the go, so you'll have taken a minute to cross the start. Well done, though - that's a respectable time for only your fourth parkrun. Sub-30 is around the corner.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    PompeyMatt, off road is the way forward!  I don't fall over as often too.  :o

Hazel, you've mastered the tricky skill of gradients & uneven terrain - well done!

An informative outing, Cal - I'm pleased you're over the worst.

Out for 9.5 off-road miles at 9pm yesterday.  A hint of daylight saw me to the Marina but soon, my headtorch's beam gave security against *unexpected* lumps, bumps and heffalump traps and the sand's undulations were fun rather than fraught. :o  Two miles of prom to myself, turning at the old coastguard station, still smart in its cream & royal blue livery, and down the beach, missing the turn that avoids a 200-yard ribbon of abandoned tide. :( A mile of prom and lumpen grassland and I was home.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Nice to see a couple of new faces here - welcome to catchyrhythm and WorksS2 and lisar509 even if you might only be passing through to other places.

Well done on your HMs Cal and Nessie.  Cal, it took me something like a month to get back to speed post-marathon last year and I had no injury issues to deal with.  Even though I felt entirely recovered, the legs didn't have it in them.  Good to hear it was a confidence booster for Liverpool.  Nessie, your PB goal sounds realistic.

Another nice description swittle.

21,06km yesterday evening in 1:58:12 - I ran out of road before I could complete a full half ;) and couldn't be bothered to jog up and down the drive a couple of times. A there-and-back in part along a route I often use for tempo runs - it was nice not to have to go fast for once.  OH came with me for the first 4km or so before heading off on a loop of his own taking in some ups and downs which I didn't fancy after Friday's hill race and he wanted to do a shorter run than me anyway. 

Heard a cuckoo for the first time this year. I met one other runner wearing an identical t-shirt (from a local run last autumn) which we exchanged grins about.  Pretty tired by the time I got home - the last 3km are all uphill which I noticed after Friday's efforts. 
  • Thanks for the welcomes, I went out this morning for a 2 mile run, just to get some miles in. 

I like the fact you see someone else and they say Hi! 
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Cal, where did you find the results? I looked on their website but couldn't see them? Am I being dozy? :-)

Edit: Ah, I have now. 1.53.51.  That is OK. PB is 1.53 and a few seconds..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah they've changed them since I last looked. Mine's 10 seconds faster now. :lol:

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    4 miles easy today - christened some new shoes. My feet got quite sore towards the end of Richmond, so I figured Manchester must have worn them out.
    I guess that, doing longer races and more miles, I'm going to have to replace my shoes twice a year rather than yearly. Oh well!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    I replace mine every 8 months or so Cal, I can feel when they're starting to go..
    My 6 am session this morning was supposed to be a pyramid, but thankfully my friend needed to run an errand delivering a block of cheese to her elderly dad, so we ran to do that (yes very random I know). So it turned into an easy chatty run. I had thought my legs were fine after Sunday's HM, but they actually felt like lead. So slow and steady was right. It was a beautiful morning
  • PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭
    I did five miles today although only the middle three miles were proper running, it was nice to be out in the sun and sea air for the first time in weeks, next time I might just do it on the beach instead of the promenade!
    edited May 2017
    Nice multitasking Nessie.  Hmm - cheese!

Nice run Matt.  

Good plan with the shoes Cal.  I buy around 2 pairs a year at the moment, one of which might be a trail pair.  Depends of course on the training / races I'm doing.  I keep note of my shoes mileage or in my case kilometerage in my training log (a simple MS Access DB as I don't like fiddling in MS Excel).  I generally start looking for a replacement once the shoe has reached around 700km and phase in / phase out the new and old ones so depending on the shoe and its condition.

With all the race fees, clothing and shoes running isn't that cheap for me.  Nobody forces me to do it though.    

2 runs for me yesterday:

AM - 4.1 km brisk multitasking to collect my bike from the train station where it had been abandoned since Friday evening, do some shopping and get out in the VFFs again.
    PM - 10.4 km standard Tuesday outing.  Cool so back in (lightweight) long sleeves and trousers. 

Must have read too much about the VLM.  I was mad enough to enter the (overseas) ballot yesterday.  If I lived in the UK I would have a GFA time.  Oh well.  The chances of getting a place are slim anyway.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭

http://static.culturepub.fr/assets/2014/10/poster-10654-jacob-s-cream-crackers-wallace-gromit.jpg

A fine, fresh, sunny start by the beach & prom at 7am today.  Packs of dog walkers, mostly friendly [dogs & owners] and it was tempting to extend from 4 miles and find some excuse for late arrival at work!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Hello all. My last run (yesterday lunch time) was intervals. Ugh, I hate intervals. 3 mins fast, 3 mins recovery x 6. BUT, it was only my 3rd run since VLM and I am getting faster again already - I found marathon training almost forces you to run much slower and you get into a long slow "easy" run routine (at least I did - it was my first marathon, so I just needed to get round). Just happy that  a) I can actually still run and b) pace is quickening again. 10k event on 21st May which will feel like a sprint after my day-long stagger round London  (6:42 :s ). The target for the rest of this year is a sub-30 min 5k and a sub-1 hr 10k (yes, I know, not particularly fast, but my 10k PB at the moment is 1:05 and I've only ever run a 30-minute 5 k on one occasion). 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Kieran, don't worry about speed. I'd just go out and enjoy the 10K. Your legs will probably still be beat after London. The half I did this last weekend was a whole 10 minutes slower than my PB, and that was four weeks post-Manchester.
    Do you do parkrun? I've found that useful in getting my times down.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Sound advice from Cal. ^
  • Hello

Sorry i'm new to the site and couldn't work out how to start a new thread? Any advice much appreciated

x
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome hillrunning - you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can start your own thread. Got a question?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6.3 miles easy today. Grey out but mild (10 degrees) which made for a quite pleasant run, despite my achey bum. I'm thinking a lot more about form when I run now.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
     4 miles beach & path early on.  Bright sunshine, a faint breeze and soft sand for strength work.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    I love Wallace and Gromit, as does my daughter :-)
    And cheese. The smellier the better
    Last night was 7 miles in the rain in Epping Forest very much off the beaten track. Beautiful
    Ah - i do envy you swittle with your beach runs..  And now I keep thinking about Wensleydale cheese - yum yum.   If I get a place in the VLM Nessie I will bring you some smelly Swiss cheese if you like. 

Hi to KieranG - I read through the VLM2017 thread - well done on getting round.     

And hi to hillrunningisfun:  interesting name. :)  I would have to add "afterwards" to it.  I usually struggle whilst doing it but much enjoy the sense of achievement afterwards.

10 mile training run at relaxed pace for me yesterday lunchtime.  Probably too much considering I am racing this evening.  One of my favourite hill races involving cow bell wavers and alphorn blowers... 8km with +450 m.  Sounds quite moderate but there are some hard bits involved.  The cow bell wavers stand at the steepest bit which I can just about shuffle-run up.. Should probably walk it but I don't like the transition from walking back to running and try to (shuffle-) run as long as I can. 
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Last run was yesterday morning - 3.5 miles, pace quicker than that last 3-mile run, so all good.

Park runs are difficult for me because Saturday morning is "run round like a headless chicken taking kids to swimming, ice skating, music, shopping etc", so I tend to just go out on my own on a Sunday morning for a longer run than during the week. 

Feeling relaxed and just running for the sake of running is enjoyable again.
  • Hello there. Last run was a 4 mile steady, last night. Running the 3rd Thorpe Forest 10K in Norfolk on Sunday, so resting now until then. New regime of Hill Reps, tempo and LSR is helping to slowly speed up my plod. After this I'll be gearing towards a couple of Autumn half marathons - I sweated my way slowishly through the too hot Norwich Half, my debut.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Kieran, perhaps you might try to interest the children in running instead? :grin:

I got my injured arse to parkrun this morning, following a lot of rolling and mobilisations. Watch said 27 minutes but officially I got 26:58 so I was happy to back in the 26s again. I'm not too concerned about my speed at this point given I've another marathon to get through (grumpy bum allowing) but it would be nice to get back to PB form later in the year. Unfortunately, the two things high hamstring tendinopathy tends not to like are speed and hills, so it could be a while before I can run intervals again. We'll see I guess.
    Good luck on your 10k tomorrow Will should you read this beforehand. Your regime sounds good, plenty of time left until Autumn.

Hill race for me yesterday evening in perfect conditions.  Did my second slowest time on the course in four years, almost three minutes below my PB but I'd had quite a hard week.   Ran all of the 8km, but was reduced to a shuffle-jog on the steep bits. Found a good place in the field so no stress with overtaking or being overtaken on the single trails sections. 

Jogged back down the hill rather than taking the bus this time, which has given me sore quads today. 

Finisher goody was a loaf of bread, better than yet another T-shirt as edible!  (unless you have issues with gluten of course which I thankfully haven't)
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Take care of the grumpy bum Cal ;-)
    Nice hills all!
    I've been AWOL from MLR due to the youngest turning 9 yesterday and associated prep / celebrating.  Have fit in a run every day though, albeit short ones. 
    Of particular note was this morning's run with my stepson, who came to stay. He's a 26 year old smoker who does not run, but is an ace footballer (he used to play semi professional as a youngster).  He completely whooped my backside this morning and he did not even break a sweat  :D whilst this old bird was puffing and panting and trying to play it cool!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that loaf wouldn't have worked for me. Sadly, gluten is not my friend.
    Nessie, annoying when a non-runner kicks your butt, eh? Never mind! Perhaps you should persuade him to take up running (and kick his habit) - he obviously has talent!

I was supposed to do a long run today but I had lead boots on and it was as much as I could do to persuade myself to finish my minimum 4 miles. There wasn't a mile when I didn't want to stop and go home. Persisting with a long run at that point would have been a miserable experience.
    There is always another day.
    I'm seeing my masseur tomorrow so hopefully he can do something for my errant derriere.
    I don't want to pull out of Liverpool as I've paid for the train and hotel (neither cheap) but I don't want to bugger myself up more either.