Is doing a HM in October realistic for me?

I am maile and will be 45 in June. I have been running since last September (I think) and currently do 5-7 miles every other day. Average pace around 8.20 a mile. I do a physically strenuous job.

I want to run in the Lincoln HM in October, but I don't want to get geared up for it and discover that I'm being wildly unrealistic! I suffer from bouts of depression, so it's important to me to set achievable goals.

Does this seem like something I could/should be able to do based on my current running?

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    In a word, YES.

Sounds like you're already training ok, 3 to 4 times a week is plenty, rest days are just as important. Perhaps all you need to do is try and get in some longer runs at the weekend in August/September, about 10milers would be fine, and then on the day all will be well.
  • Yes. Not a problem, just take it easy on the longer runs to avoid injury.

I went from non-runner to HM in about 4 months you shouldn't have a problem.
  • Ok, thanks for the responses; I'm really looking forward to it so that's what I wanted to hear!

:)
  • Sean FishpoolSean Fishpool ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    a little bit of interval work will do wonders too, to delay tiredness in the race
  • I would say it's plenty of time. I am a beginner myself, but went from being barely able to run 500m in January to running a 10mile race at the weekend. Try and increase your long runs gradually though. Too much too soon has been my downfall and I am now having to rest a few weeks due to a dodgy hip. Good luck!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Yes, you'll be fine. You're already running more than half this distance every other day. Just slowly run a bit further once per week, if you can get to around 10 or 11 miles then you'll be ready for the HM. Plenty of people will run based on less training than this, you already have a great base fitness.
  • I went from being barely unable to complete 4 miles in the May to a HM in the October with several months out through injury in the summer 

You'll easily do it 
  • Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

I'm definitively going to have a go. I'll have to research some training stuff I guess as I haven't done any interval training before. I have mostly just 'gone running' and run at a regular pace for the duration. Also I run roughly the same (give or take a mile) distance every run, which I should be changing (I think?) for shorter and longer runs?

Very helpful comments anyway, thanks again!
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    There are loads of training plans available, have a look around and pick one which matches your time availability. They will all have a mixture of runs - there will be a long run every week - this needs to creep up over time (say 1 mile longer each week, if you try to increase too quick can cause injury) to say 10-12 miles. You want to get in at least 3 or 4 ten milers before raceday. These runs build up your stamina. You should also have a few shorter, quicker runs. These could be as short as 3 or 4 miles, and could be intervals (short fast bursts with short recovery inbetween), tempo runs (at planned pace to get used to this speed), hill training (fast running up hills to really develop your CV system), even fartlek (mixed pace runs). And for the last week or two before the race, you take it easy ("taper") and let the muscles recover from all that training. It's during the recovery after the runs that the muscle improvement and adaption takes place. If you're worried about the distance, you could always try to run one of your long runs for the full 13.1 miles so that you know for sure that you can do it (this works for me), just do it really slowly.

I'm the same age as you and have a physically undemanding job. If you look around a big marathon or half-marathon you'll see loads of 40-something guys, so don't think you'll be alone. The fastest runners at my club are all comfortably in their 40s. If you're running 5-7 miles every other day then you may not believe this, but you could probably do a half marathon next week. The training I've just described will only get you fitter so that you can run easier or quicker. Don't know the Lincoln HM, but I imagine it's fairly well-supported, and the feeling you'll get from running in that crowd will be very memorable. Plus you get the health benefits from running / training. You will be fine, honestly.

• That's a great and helpful post, thanks so much for that! :D
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    rodeoflip said:
    I'm the same age as you and have a physically undemanding job. If you look around a big marathon or half-marathon you'll see loads of 40-something guys, so don't think you'll be alone. The fastest runners at my club are all comfortably in their 40s. If you're running 5-7 miles every other day then you may not believe this, but you could probably do a half marathon next week. The training I've just described will only get you fitter so that you can run easier or quicker. Don't know the Lincoln HM, but I imagine it's fairly well-supported, and the feeling you'll get from running in that crowd will be very memorable. Plus you get the health benefits from running / training. You will be fine, honestly.

I'm 37 and I often feel as if I'm one of the younger ones at my club. In most half-marathons I think it's rare to see too many people in their early 20s. (You'd sort of assume it was a young person's sport!) I guess they're normally playing football/team-sport if they're men, or at the gym if their women.
  • stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    Strangely I'd just joined the forum to ask a similar question. I'm 47 and have my eye on the Cardiff Half Marathon in October. I do 5k over the Parkrun on Saturdays and during the winter have been doing an hour on the treadmill in the gym every other day. I guess from the above replies Cardiff wouldn't be an unrealistic target?
  • Hi Stu1970,

welcome to the forum! (he said, whilst being a new member himself)

I've been looking at various Runkeeper training plans for a half marathon. Using those as a vague guide it certainly seems like there's ample time to get ready; for example the 'sub 2.15' plan is 16 weeks and just requires that you can do 20 miles a week before you start.

I would imagine that an hour on the treadmill 4 times a week would be 20 miles a week? I only run outside, so I don't know about treadmill distances etc.

All very exciting!

Just need to decide on some sort of method to carry water while training now...
  • Good luck with the half marathon guys.

As you have time on your sides, it may be worth while seeing if there are any 10k races in your area over the summer, which you could enter before commencing a structured HM training plan 12 weeks out. This is what I ended up doing prior to my first HM two years ago, and I found that having an intermediate goal really helped to bring my running into focus. You can keep the HM as your main target, and needn't worry about running a time any more than you want to, but getting a race in before hand can be a really good dress rehearsal in terms of pacing strategies, race day logistics etc. My own experience was that it didn't make my first HM any less special

It sounds as though you would have no problem with the distance, although there are plenty of short, decent 10k training programmes out there. You can take or leave the detail, but they might give you an idea of some of the work you could be doing in terms of variety, training paces, long runs, shorter interval work etc. A long slow run gradually building up each week is decent endurance work for 10k as well as the half.

Just a suggestion - if you prefer to keep it causal for the time being then that's fine, and won't stop you running well in October. Enjoying it is the main thing. Or you could keep the training casual and enter a 10k just for the on the day experience - I am sure you could turn up and run well on the back of what you are currently doing.

As for water bottles, I can remember lugging a 500ml bottle of water round with me on long runs and finding it a real hassle. A small, hand held bottle is all you really need, with just enough water to wet your lips every so often. You can always carry a couple of quid with you to nip into a shop if you really feel the need on a long run.
  • > @AndyB_85 said:
    > Good luck with the half marathon guys.

>

> As you have time on your sides, it may be worth while seeing if there are any 10k races in your area over the summer, which you could enter before commencing a structured HM training plan 12 weeks out. This is what I ended up doing prior to my first HM two years ago, and I found that having an intermediate goal really helped to bring my running into focus. You can keep the HM as your main target, and needn't worry about running a time any more than you want to, but getting a race in before hand can be a really good dress rehearsal in terms of pacing strategies, race day logistics etc. My own experience was that it didn't make my first HM any less special

>

> It sounds as though you would have no problem with the distance, although there are plenty of short, decent 10k training programmes out there. You can take or leave the detail, but they might give you an idea of some of the work you could be doing in terms of variety, training paces, long runs, shorter interval work etc. A long slow run gradually building up each week is decent endurance work for 10k as well as the half.

>

> Just a suggestion - if you prefer to keep it causal for the time being then that's fine, and won't stop you running well in October. Enjoying it is the main thing. Or you could keep the training casual and enter a 10k just for the on the day experience - I am sure you could turn up and run well on the back of what you are currently doing.

>

> As for water bottles, I can remember lugging a 500ml bottle of water round with me on long runs and finding it a real hassle. A small, hand held bottle is all you really need, with just enough water to wet your lips every so often. You can always carry a couple of quid with you to nip into a shop if you really feel the need on a long run.

This seems like an excellent idea; I'm going to do a Clumber park (national trust) 10k in July (they seem to run every month throughout the summer). I haven't done one before but it's a lovely place so should be fun!
  • stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    I've also noticed a couple of 10k runs in my vicinity in July which might be fun. There's one at Newham which finishes inside the Olympic Stadium for example. Tempted by that.
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Hi guys- I just wanted to come on here and say that you'll be fine! Don't stress too mush about trainig plans that demand a high weekly mileage- 20 miles a week is quite a high target to hit before you start training for a hlaf- I've done several marathons on no more than 35 miles per week! There's no doublt that higher weekly mileage gives you a better chance at a decent pace, but the most important thing is not to over- reach, in terms of the speed at which you build up your mileage- take it gradually, and remeber the advice to do 80% of you weekly mileage at "easy" pace- over doing the faster stuff will have you on the sidelines with an injury before you know it.
    Good Luck!
  • Stu1970, if you feel like updating this thread on your progress, I'd be really interested to see how you're doing.

After a couple of weeks off due to ill health, I just ran 7 miles on trails and feel absolutely enthused about the whole thing. I won't keep updating the thread unless anybody else wants to compare progress (from a similar start point to similar end point) as I don't think the world needs another blog!

Good luck Stu! (and anybody else)
  • Stu1970 said a handful of posts word for word what i was gonna type --
    .....I've just joined this forum to ask if a HM realistic after jogging for 6 months?
    I'm 47 and have booked Glasgow Great Scottish Run in October.
    I do 5k Parkruns most Saturdays and done three 10k races in an hour that I have really struggled with.

I only have time to run maybe one other evening during the week, and my pace is really slow. I run way faster with other runners around me in a race though.
    The thought of doing 2 x 10k seems impossible just now - but I felt I had to book it to push myself.

Apart from train more often - any tips?
  • I haven't really started my 'training' yet, but what I have done is stop running the same distance every other day and instead run faster/harder/shorter in the week (4 miles ish 3 times) and then long slow on Saturday or Sunday.  Did 10 miles on Sunday and now feel confident that the hm is doable. 
  • Having said that I wouldn't update this thread 'blog' style, I would add that Ii started my actual training this week but ran 13 miles in 2 hours last Sunday which I was pretty pleased with. Really enjoying the longer distances; I can see why people get addicted to long runs.
  • Last time, about a month, I run every morning. Recently saw a lot of debris in my neighborhood. I had to call a special service to clean it and take it away http://junkandgardening.co.uk/ I love running around when it's clean.
  • Less than 3 weeks til my first HM.
    Any tips to get me over the line!?
  • Run hard this week, a couple of faster / shorter runs and maybe a longer slow run (9-10 miles) next weekend. Then take it very easy next week, almost no running at all. Let your body heal properly over the week. Don't try anything new on the day, think about what kit you will wear now. Think about a realistic finish time and work put pace per mile. Set off at that pace and try to keep it constant throughout. There are a few hills on the route, keep your effort constant and let the pace drop slightly uphill. The first hill at St. Vincent Street isn't as bad as it looks from the start, you'll be over it before you know it. It's not as hilly as you might think, lots of people PB there. It's a great race - interesting route, well supported with an amazing finishing straight - enjoy it.
  • 1 week to go! 10 miles today and then an easy week.

Training has been interesting and hard; been doing about 45 miles a week which is more than I've ever done, but it's amazing how quickly a 6 mile run turns from a regular longer run to a negligible jaunt, and 10 miles seems like cheating on a Sunday!

I've been checking on race etiquette as I've never done one.

Is there anything I should definitely know about? So far I've got 'no spitting on people', 'don't suddenly stop or swerve', 'don't throw empty cups at the marshals' and stuff like that.

Anything else? I'm assuming that my normal mantra of 'be polite and respectful' will cover most things?

Anything that people forget to warn people?
  • You'll be fine! If you're worried about forgetting something I found this checklist https://cheesecakerunner.lpages.co/racing-checklist/
  • Well, I did it! Not very enjoyable but 1.56 which was OK for me I think. Will stick to trails from now on; road running isn't my thing, particularly not with 2,000 other people!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Well done on that, respectable time, but with you on the whole trail run v road thing. Just remember a trail half is about 15min slower than a road half,  ;)