Suspicious VMLM results...

Comments

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Nessie">Nessie</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow">vixstar1</a> said:</div>
    <div>I've just spotted a friend of a friend on Facebook posing with his medal so being a nosy type checked his results. His number doesn't match his name and is a dns, but I searched his name and he got an excellent resultsl with a different number. Checked out the photos and it's not him who ran the time which would have got him a gfa (and a massive show off on Facebook!) Am guessing it was a number swap to ensure a gfa? I wouldn't mind but he runs for a club which came out very, very well from London this year!

Not important really but annoying as I had to work vvvvv hard to cling on to my gfa this year. Grrr.</div>
    </blockquote>
    I'm confused.

If the photos of the person running in his name are of someone else, perhaps the other person just happens to share his name and got a legitimate GFA for himself.  I mean, why would you run a marathon in a GFA time to give someone else the credit?

If his number is a DNS, presumably that means it was never collected. But then how would he have got a medal?  Maybe his chip didn't work at all, so didn't register at the start line (hence the DNS). But then, if his number is in someone else's name, perhaps he printed it himself.....

All very odd.

This is what I'm struggling to understand myself.  The man in the photo bragging (will call him Derek) is actually wearing the number belonging to someone else (will call him John). Johns number comes up with no stats at all so looks like his chip wasn't worn. I searched for Derek's name and his is there, but the man in Derek's photos is not actually the Derek I know. I agree they could all have the same name but all 3 live very close to each other and Derek and John are both part of the same running club. I have no idea what they are all doing, it's very odd! 
    </div>
    </blockquote>
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Oer, looked at the Letsrun thread, 43227 is not only a VLM cheat but appears to have a suspended jail sentence for GBH. Very nasty piece of work, makes his VLM antics seem quite trivial in comparison.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    not sure I'd trust him to be my lawyer if he's so stupid and dishonest that he can cheat this brazenly.
  • he would also, I suspect, face a severe ticking off from the solictors regulator, the SRA....
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Slowkoala said:
    I notice 35546, the lawyer, was running for Barnardo's and has a JG page. I wonder whether the charity would be bothered with the cheating:
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Bens-running-London
    His firm are clearly very proud of how hard he has trained:
    https://www.geldards.com/geldards-lawyer-dons-trainers-for-firms-charity.aspx

Do these people not get tracked by friends/family/work colleagues?!!

THis is what I don't understand. I did VLM this year, very slowly. There were definitely at least half a dozen people tracking me on the day and I'd say at least 20 took the trouble to look up my results and photos. While a lot of them don't know anything about running or expected times, *someone* would have noticed if I'd run the second half an hour quicker than the first and and I know enough real runners that the anomaly would have been identified for what it was.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    What about those annoying people who think it's ok to run up on the wide pavements when they can gain 5 or 10 metres by cutting a big sweeping corner.  It's obviously not the measured line. They must know they're cheating and I swear that some people gain 50 or 100 metres that way over the course of 26 miles.  Can we out them?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    There's a bit of a difference between taking the "racing line" through a corner and cutting out an 8-mile section of route. Everyone's not always on the measured line - if you can't accept people running on pavements, can you accept them running beside the kerb on the inside of the bend? And can you accept them running 1' inside the measured line - it's still not on the measured line? How far can you be off the measured line before it's cheating? 6"? 6'? 12'?

Don't think this is the same thing at all.
  • As I understand the rules of course measurement, the measurer is responsible for noting where it may be possible to run shorter than the measured course (the measured course being 30cm from the apex of bends).  If it's possible to take a short cut (e.g. running on the pavement) then either the course should be measured on the pavement or there should be barriers to stop them doing so.

Don't confuse the measured course with the blue line at VLM.  The course is measured by an accredited measurer with calibrated equipment.  The blue line is painted by a bloke hanging out of the back of a hatchback the night before the race. 

• Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    > @Cheerful Dave said:
    > .... Don't confuse the measured course with the blue line at VLM.  The course is measured by an accredited measurer with calibrated equipment.  The blue line is painted by a bloke hanging out of the back of a hatchback the night before the race. 

I think they will be the same. Either there will be a precisely mapped optimum route, which both the course measurer and blue line painter will follow. Or the bloke hanging out of the hatchback is going to be being accompanied by / directed by the course measurer - precisely to make sure he puts the blue line down as close to the measured course as possible. Otherwise the measurement doesn't make any sense.
  • It wasn't even a blue line, it was a series of 3 parallel lines about 18" long every few metres.... so the chances of it being followd precisely with anything more than half a dozen people around you is pretty much nil.

I agree that its a complete red herring... the very small gains to be had are more than offset by other factors like other runners being in your way, moving to the side to avoid water bottles at drinks stations etc... and to try and conflate with course cutting is a bit daft imo.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • I have seen people cutting under the tape in previous editions to go the short way round a roundabout rather than the 'driving line'.  Didn't see it this time.

I'm happy to run on the pavement to do the racing line in London - you don't go out of your way to do it - you'd be cutting up dozens of people if you did - but if you're at the edge and there's a pavement there - people are running over it. 

Not sure a huge amount of distance can be saved by cutting corners.  I worked out that if you did a circular parkrun but ran 6 feet wide on all of the route you'd only do an extra 12 meters over the route. 

• I looked at some of the race numbers that have been printed on this site and can-not see how they can miss so many mats or the chip not register. cheaters should be banned from every race in the country . we work hard to get our places either through ballot or charity .I was running London in 2015 for Charity , unfortunately the race did not go how I had trained problems with legs but no way was I giving up or consider cheating , I finished that race and I am very proud of my Medal I earned it fairly .
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I mounted the pavement several times in the first mile or 2 (I think that's pretty much the only time it is possible) to simply break through crowds as I couldn't get in the pen early enough due to toilet queueing. I think if it's accessible it forms the measured route.

As a solicitor myself who has got plenty of publicity for my firm and own professional profile via running London for charity (in previous years), seeing another lawyer cheat and then no doubt lie about it all is irritating. I note his result is no longer on the vlm site though. I also see that his chosen charity was his firms charity of the year and so being relatively new to the firm he probably did this to endear himself to his new employer.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lol, and he doesn't look as destroyed as I did, for good reason! His firm still have the article on their website mind....though I guess they have no reason to know different as it's not as if vlm are going to e-mail them to report it.
  • Snail2 said:
    > @Cheerful Dave said:
    > .... Don't confuse the measured course with the blue line at VLM.  The course is measured by an accredited measurer with calibrated equipment.  The blue line is painted by a bloke hanging out of the back of a hatchback the night before the race. 

I think they will be the same. Either there will be a precisely mapped optimum route, which both the course measurer and blue line painter will follow. Or the bloke hanging out of the hatchback is going to be being accompanied by / directed by the course measurer - precisely to make sure he puts the blue line down as close to the measured course as possible. Otherwise the measurement doesn't make any sense.

If you look at where the line goes on the day it clearly isn't following the measured course in a lot of places - I've seen it going round the middle of a bend rather than close to the apex, for example.  They don't paint it as precisely as you'd like to think.
  • DT19 said:

I mounted the pavement several times in the first mile or 2 (I think that's pretty much the only time it is possible) to simply break through crowds as I couldn't get in the pen early enough due to toilet queueing. I think if it's accessible it forms the measured route.

As a solicitor myself who has got plenty of publicity for my firm and own professional profile via running London for charity (in previous years), seeing another lawyer cheat and then no doubt lie about it all is irritating. I note his result is no longer on the vlm site though. I also see that his chosen charity was his firms charity of the year and so being relatively new to the firm he probably did this to endear himself to his new employer.

The brown-nosing bastard  :)

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    It says on their justgiving page that both the solicitor and his missus ran, according to all the well done messages that is, but she's not listed as a runner? So, he shortened the course and she ran under someone else's number? 
    PS Cheerful Dave - got picture stuck in my head now of man with paintbrush, thank you!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Think his missus also goes by her maiden name but she's not listed under that either. I think we'd all make good private detectives.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    I disagree that the gains are insignificant from pavement corner cutting. Even a relatively narrow (2 metre wide) path on a 90 degree street corner will give you a saving of 2.3m if you cut the path at 45 degrees (do it more cleverly and you gain up to a theorectical 4 metres each time.) Do that a few times over 26 miles.... especially on wider pavements... and you're really gaining a great deal. But DT19's comment that "if it's accessible it forms the measured route" is interesting. I looked up the US guidelines for course measurers and it appears that technically, he is correct. So I'd better take back what I said! Maybe I'm running a hundred meters further than I need to.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    NorthEnder - if a runner uses the inside of the pavement to cut a corner say on a right hand turn then the chances are that the next corner could be a left hand turn and that runner then would have to cross to the left to cut that corner.  He probably ends up running further or at least the same as the runner that just sticks to the road?  Extra energy required to keep going up and off the kerbs too and not pleasant for the cadence.

I was never very good at physics type stuff ;)
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

plus there aren't that many 90 degree turns where you can completely cut the corner on the VLM route anyway?

In fact I can't even name one?

• I think theres a few corners on green start in the first few miles - but seriously - you're not gaining anything significant. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes I was on the green start (which was chaos this year) and ended up behind the 3.15 pacer when I wanted to be behind the 3 hour pacer. There were 2/3 opportunities in the first 2 miles to cut some of a bend but my main rationale was simply to find space to get around the crowds.

This article, amongst other points, does explain that the blue line is not the quickest line as rules state that it has to be a distance from pavement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-marathon-breaking-idUSKBN17Y11H

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oh, and my garmin still measured 26.44.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    surely that's about right for a Garmin - they go mad in Canary Wharf - it doesn't mean you actually ran 26.44?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I entered Canary wharf measuring about 0.06 over, came out about 0.16 over having apparently run a 6.24 mm.
  • Yeah pretty sure my garmin was out even before Canary Wharf.  Was well out after it. 
    26.6 miles for me. 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was just showing a colleague in work the solicitor and his results are back up on page. He ran 14k after halfway in under 30 minutes....