The Sub-20 Mission Continues....

DorbsDorbs ✭✭
At the start of the year I created a discussion saying about my wish to get sub 20 by the end of 2017.

As it stands, I can run just under 21 minutes at a push. I did record a time of 20.13 on Strava for a 5k run not long ago, but I have my doubts over the credibility of that time, as the official race time was 21.07.

What i'd really like to know though is what pace I should be looking at for various runs, with the aim being working towards a 6.24 minute per miles pace.

For example tonight i'll be doing intervals at my local running club and the schedule is 5 x 5 minutes. Should I be working here at faster than 5k pace?

Slow runs - 8,9 minute mile?

And regular runs between 7 and 8?

Thanks!

Comments

• Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    I would suggest slowing your 'regular' runs down to be more like 8-9 min miles, and also add another 30 secs to your slow runs. Then I would use the energy saved to (a) run further / more often, and (b) run your hard stuff HARD.

In in that context, 5x5 mins at 5km pace sounds like a good sesh. Throw in a few tough tempos into your schedule and you'll be sub-20 soon enough.

Good luck.
  • Sub17ParkRunSub17ParkRun ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    5 x 5mins, a tempo run between 2 to 4 miles, a long run building up towards 10 miles @ easy pace + easy runs. 

Your 5 min efforts should be faster than 5km race pace and then allow adequate recovery before next effort.

• DorbsDorbs ✭✭
    > @Sub17ParkRun said:
    > 5 x 5mins, a tempo run between 2 to 4 miles, a long run building up towards 10 miles @ easy pace + easy runs. 
    >
    > Your 5 min efforts should be faster than 5km race pace and then allow adequate recovery before next effort.

My 5 x 5 effort didn't quite go to plan.... but I also don't think there was adequate recovery time in between.

1st 5 - 6.06 pace
    2nd 5 - 6.54 pace
    3rd 5 - 7.05 pace
    4th 5 - 7.29 pace
    5th 5 - 7.48 pace

I covered over a kilometre in each of the 5 minute runs.
  • DorbsDorbs ✭✭
    > @Dorbs said:
    > > @Sub17ParkRun said:
    > > 5 x 5mins, a tempo run between 2 to 4 miles, a long run building up towards 10 miles @ easy pace + easy runs. 
    > >
    > > Your 5 min efforts should be faster than 5km race pace and then allow adequate recovery before next effort.
    >
    > My 5 x 5 effort didn't quite go to plan.... but I also don't think there was adequate recovery time in between.
    >
    > 1st 5 - 6.06 pace
    > 2nd 5 - 6.54 pace
    > 3rd 5 - 7.05 pace
    > 4th 5 - 7.29 pace
    > 5th 5 - 7.48 pace
    >
    > I covered over a kilometre in each of the 5 minute runs.

Also, I see a lot about tempo runs. That's just a fast but not 5k pace run isn't it? So in my case, 7-7.30?
  • James7James7 ✭✭
    Jack Daniels covers all this really well - see his book Running Formula or a series of vids here that summarise: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJVtPT6rHo.

Agree with the other comments here as well. If you've got the gist of speedwork, intervals, threshold, and easy/long tuns but just need paces for them, see Running Formula or use the pace calculator: http://www.runsmartproject.com/calculator/
  • cmaccmac ✭✭
    If you have a track near by do the following session:
    Do a warm up of 1M+ followed by 5x1km at target pace (4min/ Km) with 2min rest between sets.

Monitor your pace each time you cross the start line, You should be hitting 1:36@400 and 2:12@800. The purpose of this is to get your body used to the pace needed for a sub 20 5k. Each rep should be the same time give or take a few seconds. you want to finish strong and not fade.

This will be a good indication how close you are to sub 20.

p.s. I broke 20 this year for the first time (41yr old) after training for a half marathon and not doing any speedwork for 4 months. So there are other ways to improve performance. I went from 20:36 (previous PB) to 19:46 and it was comfortable.

Look forward to hearing your progress.
  • DorbsDorbs ✭✭
    Hi cmac, thanks. I've been doing the interval sessions at a track with my local running club, usually things like 6x2min,6x1min or 5x1k, etc.

I've actually just started training for a half marathon in October and the training plan is pushing my mileage up from around 15-20 to 30miles (roughly) a week so hopefully the additional endurance will get me there :)
  • Hi Dorbs,

In a similar position to with my pb 20:34 but have knocked quite a bit of as pb was 21:47 in December

I do a fair bit of weights and circuit training as well so only able to run 3-4 times a week but consist of the following

Run to gym and back on a Monday (3.4 miles each way) steady so about 8:40-9 min miles

Speed session that can vary, last week it was 4 x 1k reps @ 20min 5k pace with 2 min recovery and 1.5 mile warm up and warm down

Parkrun Saturday - Normally run down to PR then do it around 7-7:20 min mile pace

Long run Sunday of around 12+ miles @ 9-9:30 min miles

So overall somewhere between 25-30 miles a week seems to be working well for me
  • Hello,

When I started out running it took a while to get under the 20min but eventually I managed it with the plan bellow and ran the 5k in 19:05.

1 Long run on the weekend 8-10Miles @ 9min per mile
    2 easy run's per week of around 5-6miles each @ 9min per mile
    1 Tempo session per week with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down
    Tempo examples: 3-5x5min, 2x10min, 8x2min, 6x3min, 4-6x 800m (all at race pace)
    1 track session a week e.g. 200m x 6, 400 x 6, 600m x 5

around 25-35 miles per week.

I know it's fairly hard to find time for 5 runs per week but when I did this plan it didn't take very long to get under the 20min and eventually got to a PB of 18:46.

After this I turned my attention to the 10k, basically on the same sessions I ran a 10k PB of 40:05 (really gutted not to get sub 40, and still trying, but struggling to get 3-4 sessions per week at the moment)

Hope this Helps.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Huw02">Huw02</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hello,

When I started out running it took a while to get under the 20min but eventually I managed it with the plan bellow and ran the 5k in 19:05.

1 Long run on the weekend 8-10Miles @ 9min per mile

2 easy run's per week of around 5-6miles each @ 9min per mile

1 Tempo session per week with 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down

Tempo examples: 3-5x5min, 2x10min, 8x2min, 6x3min, 4-6x 800m (all at race pace)

1 track session a week e.g. 200m x 6, 400 x 6, 600m x 5

around 25-35 miles per week.

I know it's fairly hard to find time for 5 runs per week but when I did this plan it didn't take very long to get under the 20min and eventually got to a PB of 18:46.

After this I turned my attention to the 10k, basically on the same sessions I ran a 10k PB of 40:05 (really gutted not to get sub 40, and still trying, but struggling to get 3-4 sessions per week at the moment)

Hope this Helps.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Sounds pretty similar to my new training plan, it’s actually a sub 1.45 HM plan I got from runners world, but it’s essentially -

1 long run (building from 8 to eventually 16)
    3 easy runs 
    1 speedwork run (Yasso, Intervals etc)

Totalling from around 25 miles to about 30-40 miles a week. It’s a 10 week plan so will give 5k a go at the end of it to see if I’ve improved at all.

hardest part is the long run and 3 easy runs all say to stick with a pace of 9.27 per mile, which feels ridiculously slow. I’ve ended up doing more like 8.45 to 9 which still feels casual enough.
  • Yea with that plan you should go sub 20. Try to be consistant with your sessions and try not to miss too many this will help too. All my slow runs were done in the region of 8:30-9min per mile depending if there were hills ect so you should be ok running in that pace zone, good luck, let us know how you get on.