Suspicious VMLM results...

Comments

• Why would you risk your reputation for a silly run ?  Crazy. 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It's not a silly run, it's a world record! Sign him up for the World Champs, and give Mo some competition before he retires from the track!
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

http://www.geldards.com/geldards-lawyer-dons-trainers-for-firms-charity.aspx

do we think we should let them know that he broke the 10k world record en route?????

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    If you look at Twitter, I reckon they already know! And it's funny how they tweeted lots of good luck messages but no message of congratulations...
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    He's been well and truly grassed up on there! See the tweets on 21 April, love the response from Barnados.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm not on twitter, can anyone post links or screenshots? It is strange that they have left that release on their website in the circumstances.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    wifes surname is walker....her facebook profile pic is of them together with medals as taken immediately after the finish. Looks like they run the first half together, but she finished in 5.30. Poor Ben must have been bored and frozen stood there that long!
  • How do you let the vlm know about suspicious results? Think I'm going to report the club runner as he's got a gfa through a bib swap I think. Not on. 
  • it looks like Ms Walker was a few minutes behind her husband for most of the first half, caught and passed him at the halfway mark, then she completed the course while he ducked under the tape and got to the finish 90 minutes before she did.  I'd love to know what she thinks about that!
  • BikoBiko ✭✭✭
    Haha, that lawyer was 1 minute behind me at half-way but beat me by almost an hour by the end.
    As people have said before, if you don't know about races and you're not feeling great, maybe slipping under the barrier and walking to the finish is an OK thing to do. (I'd probably feel OK about taking a goody bag too...) But to do it and then pose with a medal afterwards.... 

London Marathon is the sort of race where people pay attention. I've had loads of people say they tracked me on the day of the race - even people who I don't know that well. I'm pretty sure if I ran the same race as this chap I'd have been pulled up on it by now!
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/BarnardosEvents/status/855339949239005184
    I'm not on twitter, but hopefully if you paste the above link it should get you there. The post is on the company's own website on the 21 April, and there was another girl who had commented other than Kanga Koo, but it was under her own name and she's probably removed it now, but she had pasted a screen print of his splits! There was also another sporting event happening that weekend, so not sure if the company has seen the comments, but any visitors will. It's almost worth donating to the charity on his own just giving page and asking him to admit his error. Daft soul really, someone as educated as him should have known he'd get found out. Off to look at her results now.
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

I emailed him  - his explanation is chip failure. He has no Garmin/Strava trace and no photos from the missing segment.

He says he flagged it to VLM and that they are now investigating why his chip malfunctioned.

Clearly a lie - supported by the fact that everyone with him on tower bridge (runners 9145 and 3558 to name 2) also have halfway times of about 2h48 gun time (Ben being a 2h30 half after crossing the line at 10.19); then on the Mall he is with other runners who go on to achieve a gun time result v similar to his 4h 20 (runners 14448 and 21042 to name 2).

I need to step back from this and trust that his conscience is actually kiling him. I just hope VLM do see through this bluster and have the guts to disqualify him.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Someone posted his splits on 25/4 (they are still there) and tweet from Kango Koo about fast 2nd half following reply from Barnardo's.

I'd love to know when these people decide to cheat -  quite a few of his pics, he's looking at his watch, almost as if he's working out his plan (but not v well!)

I can't see him in any of her race pics so not sure they ran together (also, different starts)? Although weird that their 1st half times are so similar! So brazen to pose with medal! I'd be so angry if I was her, maybe she doesn't know!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

He ought to know as a family law solicitor that very few people get away with lying and cheating even when there is utterly nominal evidence. Here the evidence with chips and photographs is overwhelming.

Not only we do have a chip malfunction (during probably the only period of the race where it is feasible to cheat) which is rare given it worked again later on, but also photographic evidence of him at Tower Bridge with runners that were there at 2.30 and finished in over 5 hours and then suddenly he pops up in photos on the Mall with runners finishing in 4 hours who can be identified as going over Tower Bridge much earlier. How does he explain that aspect...teleportation??

I am not sure how I'd react in his position if I received an e-mail like that out of the blue.

In his position I would say I pulled out ducked back to the finish and got a bit carried away. Continued lying makes it worse.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I think that was Natasha Argent's (cheated last year) explanation when challenged but it looks pretty lame in the context of posing with medals! Also, he didn't just go straight to the finish but passed the mats at 35k and 40k (funny how the Barnardo's support was all at 40k?!)

I can imagine that he might say to friends/colleagues that the chip must have stopped working and hope (or not even think) that no one looks into the photo evidence. Maybe people who don't run much don't realise how many mats there are! I almost feel sorry for him.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It looks like he is wearing a garmin in the medal photo. He also has a pace band on....wonder what that says. There is also a photo further down where he is looking at his watch and his right hand is poised to press it. I'm sure if pressed he could join strava and upload it!
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    ...off to search for Ben on strava... :D
  • DT19 said:

In his position I would say I pulled out ducked back to the finish and got a bit carried away.

To be fair that's probably the case, far more likely than deliberate deception from the start.  Posing with the medal probably seemed like a bit of a laugh at the time, maybe he didn't realise that marathonfoto put them on a site available for public viewing.

Sticking photos on facebook was stupid, but he's hardly the first person to post something and regret it later.

Or maybe I'm being too charitable.  Pie him.

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    Waste of a good pie, although judging by some of the older comments on his charity page he may eat them. No, why not just make a large donation to Barnado's, fess up to those who supported him and to his employer, and then whatever.....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The one final anomaly I would point out from the prosecution corner is that it is very much a shame that the period of the race he ran like the wind (much quicker than 1.30 pace) was unfortunately the period his chip failed. When it kicks back in he appears to have lost that rush of blood and runs like someone running a 5 hour marathon!

The worst thing you can do when you make a mistake is try and cover it up with BS. Again, as a seemingly relatively newly qualified lawyer he should remember his law school days very clearly, where that is impressed upon you.

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    And his justgiving page is now closed, says it all really. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised his result still stands on vlm site.
  • I remember the time I passed a HUGE guy at the 10k mark. I think I was in Pen 1 and did the first 10k in 45 mins or so - so this guy was easily nudging 20 stone and it was all beer belly. Prob more.  I thought it was odd at the time - there was no way he was there legitimately.

Anyway his photo was in the paper on Monday - he's big in the horse racing world. In all senses. Definitely the guy.  Looked up his time and it was something like 38 mins to the 10k and then over 7 hours to finish....

He must have had a bet with someone that he could get to 10k in a good time and hired someone to carry his chip.  There was no way he'd have gone sub 40 even on a bike.  
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Re the lawyer, I could go along with the pulled out at half way story and went to get his bag and got carried away if it wasn't for his finishing photo where he raises his hands in triumph. What a tosser!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

and the runner at the fore of his photo did 1.55/4.18. Our man did 2.29/4.01. He also had to make up 18 minutes on this guy to finish at the same time as that was the difference in how long it took them to cross the start line.

So at half way he was 52 minutes behind this guy which is roughly 5 miles at 4 hour pace. That's some racing, roughly 5.40mm pace to catch him on the line. He must have been flying in the period of chip malfunction as that pace is watered down by his slow down when the chip began working again!

• Gladrags said:

Am I the only one who looked at that page and thought "young Matt Lucas"?
  • bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    He certainly has a distinctive look about him, shan't forget that face in a hurry.
    Can anyone give me his wife's race number she used and/or link to the facebook page, please. I searched through for ages but just can't see anything. Thanks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/caroline.walker.14

I became consumed with rage mid morning and e-mailed vlm setting out my analysis of his results and asking how on earth his results still stood.

I feel a touch guilty now but I keep reminding myself of the millions that have tried and failed to run the race!

• bol saucebol sauce ✭✭✭
    She's taken that down as well. Guilty as charged. He's well enough educated, can't say that he didn't even think to check with a marshall about what to do, or just walk away after being given the medal etc. His wife is as guilty for running under the other number as well. If I had time now I would contact the local rag and let them know.