Comrades 2017

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Bruce Fordyce After-Party

Your host:     Bruce Fordyce

Date:            Monday, 5 June 2017
    Time:            12h30 – 17h00
    Place:          California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O. R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban

There is no better way to celebrate the completion of this exciting sporting event than in the company of fellow supporters, runners and our iconic host: Bruce Fordyce!

Our After Party Package, with the legendary Bruce Fordyce, offers the following:

• An electrifying finale, in celebration of the conclusion of the race
    • An afternoon of relaxation for athletes, family, friends and other well-known personalities
    • Sharing of race highlights – trials and tribulations
    • Networking with like-minded people
    • Live entertainment
    • Stunning buffet lunch menu
    • Cash bar

Book early to secure your space for 2017 Comrades Marathon.

Price per personR550.00 per person – book on the website
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    RR - Above is a lift straight off his website. I went last year and he had a couple of "celebs" as well as himself. Someone who had come in top ten previously and the wife of a runner who'd brought her husband's major medal - I should have paid more attention. Maybe Debra can fill in some gaps. First drink is "free". food is "free". It is a good natured gathering. Bruce and his pals are full of anecdotes (which you may have heard before). They invite attendees to pic up the microphone and tell their Comrades story. I had to leave well early last year to get to my flight. Not sure if I will attend again - I fancy hanging out at Mugg & Bean; a paddle in the Indian Ocean and an ice cream :)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Love this time when the travel lists start appearing.

Can you put me down for the 7.30am friday bus tour with the legend SD. And myself and friend will be at the parkrun saturday morning as well.

Will be at the Shakespeare Marathon on Sunday. Aiming to run nice and easy at race pace. Hope weather is kind. Hope everyone else enjoys their weekend. :)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hotels
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri), Dannirr
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, lowrez
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck, Matt..

Flights
    Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri13:15)
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne(arr.Thu16:45.depMon), Running Rodent, Southern Snail, caashford(arr.Thu16:25.depTue)
     South African - marty74

Thursday International Ambassadors Party
    ?

Friday Bus Tour
    07:30 starring the legendary Slow Duck - Running Rodent, Dannirr, marty74
    08:45 seren nos+Mr sn, Mr Zuvai, Southern Snail

07:30 Saturday Bus Tour - lowrez

08:00 Saturday North Beach

Debra Bourne, caashford, Southern Snail+Mr SS, Becca7, Matt.., Dannirr, seren nos+Mr sn, Running Rodent, marty74+friend

05:30 Sunday Comrades
    PenA - WarrenK78, caashford, Odeon1085
    PenB - Matt.., Mac3, marty74, Peter R
    PenC - becca7, lowrez
    PenD - Debra Bourne
    PenG - Mango-Chillie, Southern Snail, seren nos, Slow Duck, Mr Zuvai, Running Rodent

09:00 Monday Mugg & Bean Breakfast
    Just turn up from 09:00 onwards
    ; nothing overly formal it’s a café with a wonderful menu with a heap of UKish Comrades runners descending upon it wearing their UK T-Shirts or the Comrades goody bag one or indeed anything they damn well please, group photo around 11:00 then go for a stroll on the beach front; it’ll be good for your legs, even splash your toes in the Indian Ocean. Bruce’s after party at 12:30 is easily walkable or just hang at Mugg & Bean etc…
    caashford, Debra Bourne, Becca7, lowrez

12:30 Monday Bruce Fordyce After Party
    California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O. R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban, 12:30 till 17:00 R550 per person. A celebratory conclusion of the race relaxing with athletes, family, friends and personalities sharing race highlights trials and tribulations. Live entertainment, buffet lunch, cash bar
    caashford

• I love lists :)

I will now be in pen c

on a more practical note, water. I'm sure someone said sachets but how does that work. Is it some ridiculous packet that won't open without your glasses on or a fork to stab it with - like little ketchup sachets. I always have my water bottle round my waist on long runs so I can add what I like. 
    And running tops. Was planning on my pirate top (logo permitting) but will I get sunburnt shoulders? Do I need something with sleeves?

I know we're getting close when I start worrying about what to wear
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

There are 2 sachets being held out in this picture. one Energade, one water:-

I bite a corner and pull trying to make the smallest of holes. If you get it right with a tiny hole the water sprays out in a wonderful mist on your face when you squeeze the sachet.

I wear a vest, bare shoulders, its the thinnest lightest thing I own. I use a factor 40+ water proof sun cream to stop the burn on everything exposed. Have never been burnt.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Coke is served in little cups:-

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Since I couldn't manage to qualify for the big one, that motivated me join Parkrun today so that I'm organised in advance to join many of you in the North Beach Parkrun. Never done a Parkrun before!
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I wish I had arranged to arrive a day earlier now - I could have taken the legendary Slow Duck tour and done the . I too have never participated in a .
  • I'm in your neck of the woods Lowrez - I'm on the way to the start of the Sandstone Trail Ultra which finishes in Frodsham Cheshire 

This will be the longest I've run and I'm quite looking forward to it
  • Good luck for today Mr Z

how often are the water stations? They don't look big sachets.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Southern Snail: 45 water stations in 87km = less than 2km between stations. You can grab as many sachets as you want at each station, no shortages anywhere even for tailenders like me! Look at Comrades facebook page where they yesterday posted a summary of their supplies planning. Far more comprehensive than any other marathon I've ever run.
  • Brilliant. Thanks and will do.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Wow Mr.Z good luck on your long run :), whenever the name Frodsham comes up I think "hills"! Every time I look at that one I'm really not sure - I think I love the simplicity of the road too much - ran the Lakeland trail marathon a few years ago and was so frustrated by rain soaked land, vast tree rooty forests, bog... put me off trail events for a good long while.

SS one of the incredible aspects of this race is you can step over the line and not fear for the lack of anything all day. I've not found another event anywhere like this. Those sachets are of course slightly squidgy so dead easy to carry. In the heat of the day I usually pick up 3 per support station. 2 to spray over me and one to sip. I usually take a quick hit of coke at every station too. The early stations can get very crowded so I totally avoid them. I go over the line with a standard 500ml bottle of sports drink bought at the expo, that'll last me a good few miles before I need to start using the stations. You are going to have to manage the heat from quite early on; the way I do that is with the water sachets, and, if you can find a lump, a bit of ice is a nice distraction to hold against your brow etc. It must take a hell of a lot of organisation to achieve this; the coke is always cold, as are the sachets. And I can confirm Terry's perspective too; I came through half way with 11 seconds to spare last year (very bad race management by me) and through all the ensuing cut-offs with 2 to 3 minutes to spare. At no point were they out of stock; it was coke, and 3 sachets all the way to the line.

Bruce also adds that everyone out on that road that day is considered a god by the spectators; if you do get stuck and need absolutely anything, anyone out there lining the route will help you.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Actually I have two funny episodes to counter the above dream, but, just a little further along the station ample supplies were indeed available:-

This happened exceedingly rapidly which is a credit to the ingenuity of the support team behind the table; so focused on handing out the fluid. I got in a very short queue for coke and the volunteers had only 2 cups on the table which they were hurriedly filling, I was 4th in line. As the first 2 people went though a lot of rummaging was going on behind the table for cups, a glass tumbler appeared which the bloke in front of me got. I was already giggling from their antics; when I stepped forward they simply thrust the massive bottle of coke they'd been pouring from into my hands; it was so funny; I took a massive swig out the bottle and ran on my way. 

At another station further into the event two runners were rummaging about in a water trough for cold water sachets. I dipped in too but there was nothing in it, but I got a nice piece of ice. In a broad South African accent one of them roared in frustration "This country is going to the effing dogs!". Which really made me laugh; the measure of whether your country is a success is its ability to instantly produce a water sachet when you arrive at a Comrades support station.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Mmm salty potatoes - listen to the nutritional podcast
  • According to the website there will be 1.875 million water sachets. It seems like a weird idea but you very quickly get the hang of biting off a corner to drink and/or pour it over your head.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

With 21,437 participants that's 87.46559686523301 sachets each :). Yeah just like that bloke:-

• I'm getting so excited it seriously messing with my revision...3 weeks today I will be at Heathrow....very early for my flight...:)...even the fact I can't run isn't dampening my spirit s... I will be in pen C as well.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to suggest that we assemble a list of real names and race numbers alongside all our RW 'names'. Any thoughts on that?  For me at least, that would make it much easier to identify others when me meet in Durban or elsewhere.  For the record, I'm Terence Cross.  (my permanent number is 3695, which sadly I'm not able to use this year). :/ 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    But then I'd have to admit I'm Dannirr (Oops! I mean Spartacus!). I don't mind us assembling it but for some reason I'm nervous about listing it on the board? In fact I might have the majority of said list already, minus running numbers, from patch orders via pms. I think there is a way to do a group conversation on the pm system so we could share it that way.
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, that sounds workable but I've no idea how a group pm works. Since you already have most of the info the added work would fall largely to you?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Any news of Mr.Z?

I love getting into banter on the trip over seren as you spot fellow comrades

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I don't mind that Terry, just call me Mr List (or Mr.L for short - another of my board personas). I'll await other opinions on the wisdom of doing this. Will we have to notify the Data Protection Registrar of our creation or do those rules only apply to corporations?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Did somebody say list?

Hotels
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri), Dannirr
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, lowrez
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck, Matt..

Flights
    Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri13:15)
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne(arr.Thu16:45.depMon), Running Rodent, Southern Snail, caashford(arr.Thu16:25.depTue)
    South African - marty74

Thursday International Ambassadors Party
    ?

Friday Bus Tour
    07:30 starring the legendary Slow Duck - Running Rodent, Dannirr, marty74
    08:45 seren nos+Mr sn, Mr Zuvai, Southern Snail

07:30 Saturday Bus Tour - lowrez

08:00 Saturday North Beach

Debra Bourne, caashford, Southern Snail+Mr SS, Becca7, Matt.., Dannirr, seren nos+Mr sn, Running Rodent, marty74+friend

05:30 Sunday Comrades
    PenA - WarrenK78, caashford, Odeon1085
    PenB - Matt.., Mac3, marty74, Peter R
    PenC - becca7, lowrez, Southern Snail, seren nos
    PenD - Debra Bourne
    PenG - Mango-Chillie, Slow Duck, Mr Zuvai, Running Rodent

09:00 Monday Mugg & Bean Breakfast
    Just turn up from 09:00 onwards; nothing overly formal it’s a café with a wonderful menu with a heap of UKish Comrades runners descending upon it wearing their UK T-Shirts or the Comrades goody bag one or indeed anything they damn well please, group photo around 11:00 then go for a stroll on the beach front; it’ll be good for your legs, even splash your toes in the Indian Ocean. Bruce’s after party at 12:30 is easily walkable or just hang at Mugg & Bean etc…
    caashford, Debra Bourne, Becca7, lowrez

12:30 Monday Bruce Fordyce After Party
    California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O. R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban, 12:30 till 17:00 R550 per person. A celebratory conclusion of the race relaxing with athletes, family, friends and personalities sharing race highlights trials and tribulations. Live entertainment, buffet lunch, cash bar
    caashford

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez (Mr L). On your next list iteration, please add me for the parkrun. At least I get to do some running in Durban! :)
  • Bet nobody can guess my real name!

Can't add much to what lowrez said about Bruce's gathering. It was pleasant, but perhaps a bit strange being there when I hadn't run and everyone else had their Comrades running stories - and I too had to leave early to catch my ride to the airport. Apparently in previous years Bruce signed Comrades marathon signs - which would be a nice memento - but if that happened last year than it was after I'd gone.

• lowrez- nothing beats a good list! Thank you for posting it as It would be great to try and catch up with everybody! Park run sounds good, and definitely the mugg and bean on Monday.
  • Mr z finished in one piece... :)...I don't mind posting my real name but as loads of people call me seren now..I prefer seren . half of my Facebook friends call me seren instead of Julie...and it's even got one my power of 10 as my middle name.....on big races with names on the numbers I usually have seren on it :)
  • Mobile phones. I've just remembered I'll need to get mine unlocked, so I can get a SIM card in South Africa and be able to talk with my husband while I'm away. Anyone got any recommended deals to buy here rather than waiting to reach South Africa?