Duatholon:"Race to summit Glasgow to Ben Nevis"- is this a real event, or a scam?

tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
I have entered this event, organised by "the running clinic", and paid an entry fee. The event is next weekend ( May 15th), but the website has no updates about course, changeover points, location for registration, or anything. There is no response to my 3 emails to the event organisers. Does anyone else know anything about this? Help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Joe VolcanoJoe Volcano ✭✭✭
    Never heard of them and having rummaged around their websites and social media it doesn't look good, both their FB pages have disappeared and their twitter hasn't updated since November. I would have thought the ticket site ought to assist you under the circumstances.
  • tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Yes-I am now emailing the ticket site. Someone on  facebook thinks they are linked to other multiple non existent events. At least it was just for a bit of fun, not a focus race for me, but I'd like to get my money back, and it wasn't cheap!
    So- race was supposed to be in 3 days time- still no contact from them- clearly a scam. The main question now is whether it is linked to the debit card fraudulent activity that appeared on the card that I used for this race- is it possible that the whole thing is just a way to get Debit card details?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, Tricialitt, and merely confirms my reluctance to enter any run not organised by a club.

My prejudice against event organisers, charities and others who put on events to raise money has always seemed to me to be unkind and unworthy but your experience just confirms what I think - stick to club runs!
  • There's not been any action on their twitter feed - but here it does say : 

http://www.therunningclinic.co.uk/The_Running_Clinic/The_Running_Clinic.html

A new website is coming 17th April...

I'd not be signing up with them for anything if they cant run a race successfully.  Or at least just keep people informed about what's happening.

Senid - I've done a few races organised by event organisers - you'll miss out on some great events if you just stick to club events.  You just need to do a bit of research into what you're entering ?

Hope you get your cash back Tricia !
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Tricialitt - contact your bank and give them all the details.  They will have ways and means to find out more about the company (you have to register and have a merchant account to accept card payments).  Might not get your money back being a debit card payment (more protection using a credit card) but they may be able to shut them down and stop other people being scammed.  Also, if there is a link to fraudulent transactions, they can use the information to see if there is a pattern with other card users.
    Thanks guys- their website is still in existence, but not updated, and links to a "no longer available" facebook page. Will get onto the bank now.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Even with Debit cards there is a chance you will get your money back,they are partly liable so definitely worth a try.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    My wife got done by a scam for festival tickets a few years back, paid on debit card, contacted the bank and they refunded it all. So certainly possible to get refunds even if it's on a debit card. Fingers crossed.
    Yup- I thought the best thing was to wait until after the event definately failed to happen, and then get in contact with the bank. Going for a 20 mile recce run instead tomorrow, otherwise I will just spend the day being annoyed.

• Sorry to hear you've been scammed tricialitt . From my own experience where I work the banks won't pay out if it's a debit card they only pay out if it's a credit card. However that is hopefully only the banks where I live and work which is the Lothian region in Scotland and is not the case elsewhere the country. Hopefully I am wrong and you get a full refund tricialitt.
    Thanks Steven- it so happens that i am scotland based too, and I'm sure I'll not get the money back. However I have reported to the fraud folk at my bank, as I suspect that the card details from that non-existent booking were the source of the recent flurry of fraud on that card, which obviously the bank has had to repay , and which happened a few weeks after the booking. I see on t'internet that non-existent race bookings are a fairly common type of fraud in USA.
  • Oh dear- I think they are at it again- this time a much more "mass participation" set of 5&10k womens only events in scotland.
  • Any more details tricialitt? Worth putting it out onthe usual social media channels that these races are scams and should be avoided.