Best Half Marathons in UK?

Hi Everyone!!!

I've ran 2 half marathons now, the Great Birmingham Run and the Vitality North London Half. Really enjoyed them both especially the London one as the finish line was inside Wembley stadium!! (I must confess that I'm an Aston Villa supporter, tough times .....).

Anyway, I'm looking to book up for another one to work towards and wanted to get an idea for some of the best half marathons in the UK.

Thanks in advance!
I Love Running!
Check out my blog - https://workingdaddy.co.uk

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    How far are you willing to travel?  My all time favourite is the Mull of Kintyre run, but it sells out within hours despite being pretty hard to get to.  Aviemore half is also brilliant, if you like scenic races and a friendly atmosphere more than wall-to-wall crowd support.
  • Thank you Nessie! I am from the midlands and actually stayed overnight in London for that half!

I will check out the Aviemore half as that sounds brilliant and I do like a nice scenic run!
    I Love Running!
  • If you are from the midlands it's not going to be far to do the Gloucester City Half in August. Very flat and scenic run, well supported, great bling on offer. Take a look at the website http://www.gloucestercitymarathon.com/
  • Thomas, it's very hard to say which races are best, as so much of it is down to personal preference. Both of your halfs have been big races through cities, and if this is what you've enjoyed then maybe think about the Great North Run - not too far from you, runs through a big city, and has a real sense of occasion about it (TV, red arrows, the crowds, etc, - biggest half in the world??). It's also expensive and very, very busy, but if you like "big" races then GNR is quite an experience.

I also really like the Great Scottish Run (although as a Scot maybe I'm biased) - a great route with lots to see on the way round and very well supported. Maybe this year it will even be the full 13.1. miles!

Have a look at the Liverpool Rock n Roll race as well - I've only done the marathon, but the half follows much of the same route. Great atmosphere, through the middle of the city, good crowds in places and great finish line party atmosphere. Also the best medals ever.
  • Thank you very much for the tips!! I will have a look at all of these ☺
    I Love Running!
  • I'm a Londoner with no car, so all my halves are within public transport of where I live. My two Autumn favourites are Richmond Running Festival and Ealing. Richmond starts in Kew Gardens and ends at Old Deer Park - all on path, some hard, some towpath and a bit of grass for the last mile). Good organisation, nice T-shirt and bling and nice course.
    Ealing is a road closed race with huge community support all the way around the course. It's a little, well, undulating, but I've had PBs there two years on the trot. Excellent organisation. No shirt unless you buy one though. But it's a great experience.
    Hampton Court (last weekend) is a good pre-marathon half - fast, flat, with pacers and nice goodies at the end.
  • Conwy in November. Very well organised and probably one of the most scenic half marathons in the UK
  • Buxton Half  (28th May) is a superb race scenery wise, though it is hilly and definitely not one for a PB. It starts and finishes in Pavilion Gardens which are worth a visit anyway. It is also a bargain price-wise
  • Considering you are based the Midlands, the Black Country HM is an interesting and challenging race. I have done it twice and its well organised. 
  • MrSoftMrSoft ✭✭✭
    Hastings half marathon. A testing course with the town of Hastings coming out to cheer you on.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    If you are from the Midlands look out on Oswestry Olympians web-site for Lake Vyrynwy. Probably one of the most stunningly beautiful, well organised and best half maras in Britain. It's in my top three of all time and i've done over 100.

• I loved the Royal Parks Half, though I've only ran two halfs myself. 
  • Ealing Half Marathon has won UK's Best Half 3 years in a row and shortlisted for a 4th time at The Running Awards. It's like David v Goliath, up against the big boys but still wins. A runners race - although a bit undulating as mentioned before!! :smile:

• Buxton half gets my vote too!
  • I've done Buxton half a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Worksop also. To be honest I've enjoyed all the races I've done, Worksop, liveredge, Nottingham, Sheffield, clowne plus others only one I didn't enjoy was the now defunct mansfield which was just running by the side of duel carridgeways 
  • Manchester in October will be my first half. It will then be my best and worst by default.Anyone done it previously? Any good/bad experiences?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've not done it but I've heard good things. It'll be flat. I've done the marathon there twice and it's one of the flattest in the UK.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    I've not done it but I've heard good things. It'll be flat. I've done the marathon there twice and it's one of the flattest in the UK.
    And shortest......:)