Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Similar wall in each photo SG - both on the left whihc is what confused me for a mo!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Run free day today. Worked hard on a known Strava segment tonight, to get a PB (0.9 mile, 140ft climb ish) but pleased it actually put me into the top 20 at 19/2061. Small beer, but pleased me anyway :-)

• PeteM said:
    while we're bragging about records against Olympians 

My record against Iwan Thomas (rated #1 all time over 400m http://www.thepowerof10.info/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=400&agegroup=ALL&sex=M&alltime=y)  is 3-0 so beat him twice at London, once at Reading.

Great run Dachs, love the " target 1, non-negotiable – the win" not posting the slo-mo video here?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

come on Bus, know your walls! :)

Every time I do this Marlow course, I completely forget that through the offices doesn't lead to half way up the climb to the fire station.

So every year I think, "Oh no, there's this long stretch on the outside of the office state" to enjoy.

Victory 5 in December, has got to be a faster course. Just depends on the wind as you're on a bit of a pier for half of it, especially back!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Plenty of people seem to be able to do their long runs, and parkruns and stuff without food.

Not me, i'm too pansy for any of that stuff :)

Finally we agree on something.

• Saw this report today from Cabbage Patch 2011, pick the thread members out of the text and see if you can spot who should be there but isn't.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    nah, am ignoring that as well Reggie ;)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Phil, nice challenge, the sort of challenge Phil would be all over researching!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure you can acknowledge that you're ignoring something.
  • SG, it's a +1 for Victory 5 from me - brilliant course, like you say, it's fast but have to be wary of the weather.
    Last year the headwind wasn't as bad as it had been (based on what people said about the previous year), although you certainly knew about it on the way back. However, it was bitter cold - hovering around 0. Saying that - it was clear, sunshine, so probably couldn't ask for better conditions in December!

I must say that I'm rather envious of you all being close to so many races, and having a good pick of track meets. Moving down to deepest, darkest Cornwall won't offer much in the way of fast races!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

You'll probably be surprised MH, you'll probably find an array of club only races.

Down here we were pretty envious of the NW crew for a while, as they seemed to have a tonneload of fast 5k and 10ks. Well, until the scandal with so many NW races being short broke ;)

We do have loads of minor races though. Just in the Marlow 5 pack, there were about 10 upcoming races. Some incredibly bootleg sounding stuff.

Very probably a job for the pot hunting Team MTSG crew to turn up at!

Shame they moved Victory 5 back to December. September has so much less potential to be a weather disaster.

I see they binned the 10k "fun run" off in the end.

A most peculiar scenario of having the "fun run" longer than the main run. No idea what they were thinking there? Can only be that 10k resonates more with the newbie gang than say a 2-3miler?!

But surely you'd go for the shorter race if you weren't as confident?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doh, tomorrow's 5k postponed a week. Roadworks apparently.

• Will be good to say hi if you do get over to any Watford's Dachs. Congrats on the win and hopefully in a few weeks time you'll get the time you want  :)

I often run first thing in the morning before work or at the weekend and these are always done without eating. Never feel any worse for it!

At least you don't have to wait too long for your next race SG despite the cancellation  ;)

30 minutes in the New Forest this evening, plenty of deer spotted. Cut the run slightly short as right calf was very tight and a little worried somethings up with it. Ice on it tonight for sure

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Bastards! Where's my name then??? Look at Po10 or the full results on the Run Britain pages and there it is, in black and red! 43 I was!! How very dare they miss my chance to see my name in print!!! I paid for that time with bleeding nipples too! (no vomiting or retching though as I recall)

Right, I want my money back....!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Only Phil would dig out some obscure mag item on a race from 6 years ago :)

Anyway, no race tonight, so reverted to the sesh plan. Bit close to a race, but felt fresh enough, and the shortest sesh. 

6x300, off 90secs (plan allowed 2-3mins!)
    49,51,51,52x3
    Probbo done this slightly quicker before, on a "Not raced 2 days before".
    But that'll do.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Be careful with that calf Scott.

I had a very weird pain last night, it occurred whilst I was fixing my sky box. My ankle suddenly went very sore and I couldn't put any weight on it. 

It was so innocuous that I briefly wondered whether it was pun related.

It was the same in the morning and maybe a bit swollen. I got on the indoor bike to see if I could cycle which seemed to help, then a few minutes later having limped upstairs it was magically fine again. Maybe a nerve type thing or something stuck in the wrong place.

This ankle has seen a lot of war damage and I have been doing a few rotations and stuff to try and break up some of the scar tissue, it made an awful crackly sound. It now feels a lot smoother, maybe I did something good, or perhaps trouble is coming.

• Watford? Planning on the 1500m on 31/5. Although it's just after the BUPA 10,000 which hopefully won't be too much of an issue
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    Cheeky bugger SG; most definitely not; her kids were born much before 2013.

Crazy race btw and don't ever do it unless you want to jostle for space with fellow runners for the full 5 miles. 

Absolutely - that was the same race I beat Pendleton.  I was a couple of minutes behind Radcliffe though.  I would smash Radcliffe's time that day over 5 miles nowadays, but missed that chance.  I ran alongside her for a wee while before fading.  And yes - completely mental race - so tight for space it was ridiculous.  It was a totally shit race apart from running round the Olympic Stadium which was cool.
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Nice reps again there SG.

I got on the track myself this morning.  Plan was to do 20 minutes threshold then 4x 200m off 200 jog.  Mini session with race coming up on Sunday.  Targeting 6:00-6:05 pace for the 20 minutes, I ran 13.5 laps in 20:12, which comes out at 6:01 pace and then targeting 38s for the 200s, came out at 37.6, 38.6, 37.5, 36.9.  All pretty comfortable so pleased enough with that.  Let's see how Sunday goes now...

• The Bus said:
    Bastards! Where's my name then??? Look at Po10 or the full results on the Run Britain pages and there it is, in black and red! 43 I was!! How very dare they miss my chance to see my name in print!!! I paid for that time with bleeding nipples too! (no vomiting or retching though as I recall)

Right, I want my money back....!
    Probably something to do with them not recognising Fell Runners as proper runners I'd say. 
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

Ooh - inflammatory.

(You also saying that Matt isn't a proper runner...?  I agree - he can't even go sub 2:30 for a road marathon)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Quite correct Philip. Must have made it even more galling to finish behind one
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hey where did my winky go?

7+6 for me today. All OK, if a little heavy legged and bit of adductor pain.

Reg - I get a lot of those pains that are severe at the time, but quickly go, mostly in my ankles. That's why sometimes its easy to mistake something more serious for one!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus, that first line is something all of us guys have asked after a cold run.
  • PeteM said:
    "while we're bragging about records against Olympians" 

Yeah but has anyone had their arse handed to them by the one and only Samir Haddad? The legend, the myth! 

Dachs, awesome 10KM time and I am sure you will run under 32 this year and Highgate will be a good bet for you. Just stick on that train! 

SG - Great race! It's so good to see you overcome and run well! Yaaaas

SC - We will be there (hopefully) but probably 3,000 for me

Niggles from me (Calf, same as Scott P) and a few issues with piles again and a ab / groin issue which is very weird, maybe all connected as it's all came at once and I know I've had the nerve issues since my op. My end up having more botox treatment. Never 100% right or healthy!! Still managed a good session tonight ahead of county 5km this weekend. 

1600 then 6 x 600s. 4:43 / 1:45s although faded on last 2 as was running holding my stomach in pain
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • CC82CC82 ✭✭✭
    Jesus Scott - that's a good session!!  Hope your issues bugger off quickly as you're just getting back into good form!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Some good training going on despite matters of adversity.

I couldn't or more likely wouldn't train at all if I was hurting. Half of that is because I just don't like running 'that' much. The other bit is that I don't think it's possible to improve as an athlete while carrying afflictions.

Natural ability gets some of us a long way  however. Poorly horses are still faster than we are.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    a 1600 in 4.43, then those 600s?
    So in effect around a 4.45 mile solo, before the main bit? Wowzer.

ps ditto to you, good to see you roaring back to the usual routine!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That made me laugh SG!

Scott - not surprised things were hurting at that speed! I imagine its difficult to say with your health issues whether pain is running related and/or counter productive, or something you just have to tough out if you want to do the session.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with that there Bus!
    It wasn't that long ago breathing felt pretty dodgy for me on the slowest runs. And took a while once it eased to understand that the fastest runs would always feel breathy! No doubt similar ish at Scott's fast paces.