2017 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭
    Dadagain- 2 marathon separated by 10 weeks is fine- how far away is gold coast?- if it's 6 or 7 weeks away, then the little lay- off recovery time you've had is perfect, and you can get back into it with plenty time to build again, then taper- P&D has a multiple marathon training schedule that works OK. Good luck.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Gold Coast is 2nd July - so allowing a 2 week taper, that gives me 5 full weeks after this weekend.

I've mapped it out and I could do weekly long runs of:
    16km (40km week) - this weekend 
    20km (60km week)
    24km (64km week)
    28km (70km week)
    32km (76km week)
    37km (82km week)
    12km (32km week) - taper in progress!
    **RACE!** (55km week including race)

Its definitely doable - just trying to get my head around whether to do that or whether to rest a bit more and leave the focus until Melbourne in October..... 
  • Hi - first post and surprise, it's a question and it's about marathon training. :-) Please bear with me while I ramble on.

I'm training for (and about to do very soon) the Stirling Marathon so it's a bit late now, but I really need advice for my next marathon and specifically the training for it.

When I'm trying to setup my training plan, I obviously include a lot of aerobic tempo/threshold runs. When I use the VDot calculator to look up my training paces I plug in latest race times (5k, 10k or 10miles) and it gives me a potential marathon time of WAY faster than I know I can do (which I understand the reasons for) but it doesn't help me understand what paces I should train at. For example, my recent 10 mile race time was 1:13:27 which VDot suggests a marathon time of 3:24:13 (7:47 per mile) but I know that is not possible for me at the moment and I'm looking at a realistic 3:45:00 time. However, I know that running at my aerobic threshold is a very fine balance of running too fast and running too slow for maximum benefit. So, should I train on long threshold runs with the pace of my REALISTIC marathon time (8:35/mile) or my VDot equivalent time (7:47/mile)?

Confused - yes I am.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Runsinkm- I think the answer is to go with realistic paces, rather than potential based on Vdot measures. Hope you enjoy Stirling, which is the next race?
  • Hi and Thanks for the feedback. My worry about training 'slower' for the marathon is that I won't be pushing my aerobic threshold enough to actually improve it and subsequently improve future races? It might also have a detrimental effect on my shorter races and HMs?? Jings, it's all so complicated these days - when I was younger we just used to run till we dropped every day and considered that a good workout :smile:

Stirling is the next race - next Sunday so no time to do anything about it now except continue the taper and eat well.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Ok - I've gone mad its official.

After 3 weeks of worrying about loss of motivation after VMLM I've become crazy keen again. This weekend I was marshaling at a cross-country event with a bunch of club mates and mentioned that I was thining of stepping up to the full distance for GC Marathon on 2nd July. By the end of the conversation I was pretty much sold on the idea! Its now my target :) 2 hard effort marathons in 10 weeks? No problem.

Then yesterday a txt came through from our coach saying he's looking for pacers for a small event on June 11th. Its an event that previously has had 100km/50km/25km distances, but this year is adding in a 42.2km for those who want to cover the marathon distance.  He wants pacers for 3:25, 3:30. 3:45, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30.

I think I'm going to stick my hand up for 4:15 and use it as a catered training run 3 weeks out from the major target event.

Am I nuts? That'd be 3 x 42.2km runs in a 10 week period!!  
  • I ran 17:25 in my Park Run today. A good 3:15 opening km and then the next 4kms between 3:34 to 3:40. Best time I have ran in 2 months  and back under 17:30.

• Well I can still do a marathon :)
    Cape Wrath marathon completed ( if in a personal course worst time of 5h15)
    Just back from Cape Wrath Challenge week (and Strathearn entered)
  • First Marathon - Done!! Stirling Scottish Marathon in only 4 and a bit minutes over my (maybe ambitious) target time of 3:45:00. Still wearing my Marathon legs but here sits one happy puppy looking forward to his next one.
  • Runsinkm - Well done on your debut marathon. I heard Stirling was a pretty tough course, most of my mates were a little off what they were hoping for, so sounds like you've had a good run.

OH - Well done on CW week

Tricia - Did you manage to get a Glenmore place?

-------

Hello, still lurking here. Not really worth posting much as my motivation to do any serious training is through the floor... Have only ran 10 miles twice since dropping out of my marathon last month. Need to get my head screwed on as I've ultras in 10 and 14 weeks, and probably a marathon at the end of October.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Hi, after lurking for a bit I have decided to join. An occasional runner - on/off - for years, I will be taking on my first marathon - Loch Ness - in September. I'm really enjoying the training thus far, but may have progressed a bit quickly as I've already done a 23 mile long run with over four months before the race. Anyway, hoping to learn a bit more from you all, and spend the next few months building on the foundations I've put down so far....
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    PS. I can't seem to see how to create a new topic on any of the forums - is there something I need to do first, or am I missing something obvious?
  • > @jtced said:
    > PS. I can't seem to see how to create a new topic on any of the forums - is there something I need to do first, or am I missing something obvious?

I gotta agree with you on this - this is the most user-unfriendly and counter-intuitive forums I've ever come across and I've been a PC user for 26 years.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    jtced - click the NEW DISCUSSION box ?
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    > @mace said:
    > jtced - click the NEW DISCUSSION box ?

Strangely enough I can't see a 'NEW DISCUSSION box' anywhere. Either on iPad (Safari) or Windows 10 (Chrome).... where would I find said box?
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Wait, now it's suddenly appeared right where I'd have expected it to be. Maybe something to do with being a new member?
  • > @jtced said:
    > Wait, now it's suddenly appeared right where I'd have expected it to be. Maybe something to do with being a new member?

It just appeared for me as soon as I was 'promoted to level 2'.
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Hi guys and gals, welcome to those that have recently joined in the thread, it is good to see some new blood, I have noticed it has been really quiet in here recently, probably a lot to do with most of us being injured in some form or other and the Spring marathon season coming to an end.

Like SM above the motivation has been pretty low recently, especially after picking up a popiteus strain on the good leg, the Achilles has settled a lot and to my dismay the other niggle appeared, once again over testing has held me back so I am in the middle of a 2 week ban on running, which looks like it is helping.

the plan, with only 18 weeks to Loch Ness, is to start some sort of base building for the foreseeable getting myself back running 50 - 60 miles a week, given recent history I may have to consider giving up my place. 
  • Stewart - That sounds rather annoying. So infuriating trying to get over injuries, or having injuries that just seem never ending. I know you've been injured a lot longer than me, and I've been sick of it for ages so I can only guess how you feel! I hope you can get back into some shape for Loch Ness, even if you just have a leisurely stroll.

I had said to a few of my club mates a few years back that I doubt I'd still be running at 40, that prediction is looking like it might get revised down to 35. Although If I can somehow pull a 3:15 autumn marathon out the hat then maybe I'd call it quits at 32! :p Luckily for me I can't swim properly, and I'm shaky on a bike so for now I'm continuing to be an injured runner with a bike.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've not posted much here either, Stuart/Stewart - I've been trying to manage my high hamstring tendinopathy so I've not done a lot of running. But I am still going to give Liverpool a bash tomorrow. It won't be pretty and will probably be a personal worst, but as I'd already paid for the hotel and train, I thought, what the hell. If I have to walk bits of it, fine.
    I hate swimming, have real issues with chlorine and never learned to ride a bike so I'm a bit stuck too, but hey.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    37km (23 miles) done yesterday with 500m of ascent/descent. Just cantered along at a very sociable pace for the most part but finished with the last 5km at race pace.

Felt fresh and comfortable at the end!

Happy days! Love late autumn weather conditions in Brisbane :)
  • Good luck Cal in your Marathon on Sunday.
    Well done DadAgain with your 37km training run.
    SM6 woking well towards your  autumn 3:15 marathon.
    Stew hopefully your injuries go away and you can run Loch Ness Marathon.

On Saturday I ran 17:30 in my 98th Park Run, only 2 Park Runs to go to reach 100.
    I have a training marathon in 3 weeks time. I will register a few days before the event if it is a clear  day with no rain/storm forecast.

Just back after a week's holiday with no running, but now I have 3 ultras to train for- 42 miles (clyde stride- july), then another 40 miler ( devil o the highland, august), then a 24hr race (glenmore 24 september!). Did anyone do Edinburgh?- I hear it was hot.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, tricia, you don't do things by halves, do you? :lol:
    I wasn't in Edinburgh - I was in Liverpool though. A friend who ran Edinburgh said it was very warm, but we were lucky - it was overcast and didn't go above 15 degrees. Considering it had been 27 in London when I left, it was a real relief.
    Since I was running with high hamstring tendinopathy and had done little training since Manchester (the half marathon I did at MP was the longest run I managed) I wasn't expecting much - I just wanted to get around. But as soon as I started, the adrenaline kicked in and I ran the first half faster than Manchester. Not having done the training, I then paid for it heavily when I hit the wall at mile 16 and had to do the rest on dead, uncooperative legs. Final time was 4:37:52 which was slower than Manchester this year (but at least faster than Manchester last year!). The hamstring was bearable and it doesn't feel any worse today. The worst thing (aside from running out of steam) was that my left foot hurt from about half way. Still sore now. Not sure why - hope it's not PF. My feet should be strong considering I walk around in Vibrams or bare feet and do yoga.
    Anyway, I do feel quite happy about the result, rookie errors and injuries considered. Still learning how to do this marathon pacing thing.
    Had a little walk this morning and I'm a bit sore but I can at least walk down stairs, which is more than I could do after Manchester.
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Went out for a 20km mid-week run this morning with a bunch of others. It was surprisingly cold when we started - so the pace was a little more rapid than it would normally have been with this group. Nevertheless we ticked along chatting away and I felt pretty comfortable. At the halfway point I decided to up my tempo a bit for the return and make it an official 'tempo run' - pace picked up and the other dropped off (They are targeting 4hrs in July where I'm targeting 3:30, so thats expected).

My last 8km were significantly faster than my marathon pace and I was left wondering how is it possible that in a longish run I can sustain that pace where the previous day I couldnt get that quick in 1500m reps with recovery?.

Anyway - very happy with the run and when the others finished they were euphoric and feeling good despite running 20km at a pace that would translate to a 3:45 marathon finish rather than the 4:00! They claimed they only managed it because they were trying to keep up with me - but that doesnt matter does it, they have proved they can run quickly when they want to!

I'm convinced they are going to SMASH their goals in July!! 
  • Cal - Well done on getting round Liverpool :)  Now rest up!

s17 - Well done on the parkrun, great time.

DadAgain - That sounds a great midweek effort

Tricia - I'll see you at one and a half of those  :D  I've got the Devil, and Glenmore fun run scheduled.

-------

Some reasonable training happening here for once, 14 and 11 milers in the last 3 days. Felt reasonably decent too  :)

• Well done Cal. Recover well.
    Sounds promising, SM6 ...

Strathearn on 11th for me
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A recovery run today (I took a week off after Liverpool) and I was very slow - 4 miles in 45 minutes. Hamstring still grumbly and legs still very fatigued.
    Managed to leave my Garmin and mp3 player at work on friday, so did 11 miles "naked"- no watch, no music- (but did wear clothes!). It felt like hard work (very hilly, up to Loch Humphrey)- seems to be taking a while to get going again after Fling/ holiday, but am slowly getting back into some sort of trainig plan, as the next 2 events are not a million miles away. I just feel very tired/ sleepy, all the time, despite not actually being any more sleep deprived than ususal!
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Tricia, sounds like a tough run, just run easy until the energy level return to normal, there is no point making yourself ill.

Cal, take it easy I would hate to see that niggle turning into a full blown injury

OH, another marathon! your are shelling them like peas :)

SM, sounds like you are recovering well from the injury, 

DA, A promising training run  like that does give you a confidence boost, 

I hope FM and NP are on the mend and will be back with us soon

Mace, I hope you are well

------------

Only managed two runs this week both were only 2 miles, I have been quite busy with work and was away on Shetland midweek, so I decided not to do any running whilst there, the 2 mile run today was encouraging the niggle behind the knee feels a lot better even if the Achilles still grumbles a little during the first few minutes of the run.

Will keep building slowly and hope I can get some consistency with my training.