My Last Run

Comments

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic running and report Hazel! Nice one!
    Lil, Cal, carry on resting up and taking it easy
    Will- I stayed right next to the Yare last summer.  The best swimming I have every done, absolutely beautiful
    I haven't run since Saturday, when it was a rather succesful fartlek session.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    This morning was a 6 am session in surprisingly oppressive humidity. Pyramids. I was the sweatiest woman in East London
  • Good work, Nessie, v humid in Norfolk too.
    HazlenutCH, I am in awe of your 10 mile time! Superb achievement. I had a similar flat feeling doing my first half marathon in April. It was so hot (24C) that the second half was a nightmare and not enjoyable at all. Hoping my next two, in the autumn, are more fun!
    I had a strange run tonight. Was expecting to feel fresh after 3 days of rest/too busy and set off for a 6 miler. However, it just wasn't happening. Legs felt leaden, stiffness and lack of power all over. I ate a bit too late, but still couldn't work out why I felt so rubbish. Came in after 3.5 miles. Not the greatest run ever :neutral:
    I run, therefore I am.
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    I had a similar feeling on a run last week Will. Set off to try a new route out, got a couple of miles in and wasn't feeling it - no energy, heavy legs, breathing not under control. So I turned round and came back the short way for 3 miles instead of 5. Sometimes that just happens.

5 miles yesterday. So humid I was drenched in sweat after 1 mile. Did manage all 5 though at a reasonable pace. 

10k event on Saturday. Hoping the humidity goes away.
  • Strange how that happens, Kieran, isn't it? I am going to try again tonight and hope to get 6 miles done. No events for me in the next couple of months so have set myself a target of 80 miles this month - targets definitely help me stay motivated when energy is a struggle. Am halfway there, so need to keep clocking the miles.

Good luck for your 10K. Hope there's a drop of rain and temperature for you.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tortoise, have a look at a book called Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett. You'll need a roller (preferably a firm one, not the squashy foam ones) and a ball of some sort and it shows you ways to release your tight spots and get more mobile.

Well done on the PB, Hazelnut! I know that feeling - I was hoping to go under 1:30 at Cabbage Patch last Autumn but I was just outside. The annoying thing was, according to my Garmin, I just made it, but I hadn't realised it was a gun time only race. I had to admit I was rather peeved afterwards (although I did enjoy the race and recommend it).

I've had a week's rest (just yoga and spot of walking) but went out for a test run today. Initial start was sluggish and yeah, my sore bits are still sore, but it's bearable and once I got going I didn't do too badly. Just 3 miles but the middle mile was MP.

I am going to do Liverpool - I doubt very much whether I'll get close to my Manchester time and may have to walk sections if the hamstring tendon gets bad, so it's a "get around" kind of deal. But since I already paid for the hotel and train, I'm bloody well going to do it.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    7 miles in the rain and mud in Epping Forest this morning was fantastic.  I've not run since Tuesday as my usual Wednesday running club night clashes with the open water swimming coaching and so I went to the lake this week, also in torrential rain. Also bloody fantastic :-)
    It will be a pool swim this evening which is so inferior to OW swimming
    Cal- carry on being sensible, good call that you will just get round.
  • Good luck in Liverpool, Cal. I'm sure you'll crack it.
    Epping Forest sounds nice, Nessie. Not done any OW swimming (except in the Caribbean in Panama last summer!) but admire your va va voom.
    A much better run last night. Prepared well with good eating and a bit of rolling. A nice steady 6 miles, in much better form an pleasant in the rain. Looking forward to a long one at the weekend.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 5 miles Tempo run in the driving rain. Breaking in my new Nike Pegasus 33 trainers. Isn't it strange how you can get back home completely soaked to the skin but not be aware of the elements during the run itself. Really pleased with run. It's an early practice Tempo run from a plan Shades emailed me in prep for Bham International marathon in October. My new trainers are hanging above the radiator hopefully they'll be dried out ready for my long run on Sunday
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Parkrun this morning for me and not only was it a parkrun PB, but also a 5k PB!  Official time was 24.37, which is 20 seconds off my parkrun PB and about 5 seconds off my 5k PB.  Very happy with that! I've not run much this week, so I figured that today would be a good day to do a parkrun as my legs would be more rested than usual.  It paid off! :-)
    Oh and I was 16th woman (out of 88) and 2nd in my category.  Happy :-)
  • Fab runs all of you! Times I can only dream of!
    I'm really thinking I will carry on running as even though I am overweight if I stick to eg 5k gentle runs and listen to my body it should be ok as I do want to do it.

I'm really wanting to run at the moment, probably more because I've been told I can't!
    I'm stretching, icing and rolling as instructed by osteopath! It's just niggles so I do feel a bit of a fraud, and am a little anxious that without having running much (I've done little gentle short trots in bootcamp) I'll struggle on the 29th, but I'm determined! And maybe the rest will I'll have helped?
    If anything some of the niggles are worse so I'm wondering if the stretching is aggravating things.

I'm going to the Chelsea Flower show on the Friday before the run, so will need to be a bit careful as it can be a full on day, lots of walking and lots of pimms!
  • Hi folks, I'm new to the forum? Can I join in?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Absolutely! All are welcome. :)
  • Good work at the Park Run, Nessie. My boy completed his 6th Junior PR yesterday - always a great atmosphere there, with cowbells and everything!
    Hope you continue to make progress, LilT. I reckon determination and listening to your body is key.
    Welcome to This Girl :)
    I had a decent LSR on Saturday evening. 9 miles of trail and road. Jumping puddles and slipping about a bit by the river was fun. Very muggy and swallowed a few midges but all good fun and healthy protein.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Disastrous 10k event on Sunday. Too warm, heavy legs, pf playing up. A pw and wasn't far off coming last. In hindsight not one I should have booked into 4 weeks after the marathon, but we live and learn. Need a rest and some research into sorting my feet out.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday as a 4 mile recovery run. Swim tonight
  • A little 3 miler tonight, steady with a few spurts, and did a bit of foam rolling beforehand. Not sure whether the roller actually works or is a bit of a placebo. I think it loosens the old legs a bit, even with the comedy style technique I use.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Loving reading about your runs.

My hip/groin were feeling good until I did my psoas stretch earlier and it started playing up again. Back to the osteo anyway tomorrow. He'd told me to ice it twice a day (along with my stretches) , I'd rather been looking forward to not having to get up earlier to do that anymore, and also been hoping for the go ahead for a short gentle run later in the week, back to being patient!

I went to bootcamp this evening and did more upper body and arm work anyhow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Kieran - Commiserations but don't beat yourself up. I ran a half four weeks after Manchester, and although I wasn't targetting it as a PB race, I still thought I'd be able to get under 2 hours (my PB is 1:57). I thought wrong. I ran it in 2:07. I find half marathons are like sweeties - I can gobble up a few and still have room for more. But marathons are like a six course dinner with wine, port and stilton and a waffer thin mint. It may be only twice as far as a half, but you need a hell of a lot longer to recover fully.

Anyway, my high hamstring tendinopathy has kept me on the bench for a bit but, given I have Liverpool on Sunday, I did a 4 miler today - 2 warm-up miles at very easy pace and 2 at MP. The hammy was grumpy but it's not affecting my mechanics so I can live with it for now. I'm getting a massage on Friday evening and I definitely felt a hell of a lot better after the last one, so hopefully I can get around without doing anything awful to myself. I've already resigned myself to the fact that it will likely be a personal worse but I've paid my money so I'm bloody well going to come home with a medal.

Tortoise - I'm surprised your osteo is telling you to ice - the current thinking seems to be that ice is not a good thing as it slows the blood flow to the area and thus the speed of healing. Yeah, it relieves pain somewhat, but at a cost.
    Hope you enjoyed Chelsea. My mum was a member of the RHS so she used to go every year.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    This morning's 6 am speed session was a rather random 4 x 600m, 4 x 200m, 3 x 600m. Beautiful sunny morning.  Several small yappy dogs and their friendly owners.
    We found a field near to several of us and were trying it out for size. 600m all the way round and 200m to goal posts and back.  It is better than the road of doom that we've been using in recent weeks for our intervals  :p
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    A very warm 4 miles this morning - last run before Liverpool. Hamstring feels the same. So long as it's not worse...
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Oh my gosh. I went out at 3.30 this afternoon in the forest for 4.5 miles and it was sweltering! 
    Cal- sounds Ok! Will be following you!
  • PompeyMattPompeyMatt ✭✭✭
    Had a very enjoyable run yesterday which consisted of a couple of gentle warm up miles then a fast 5k followed by another couple of slow miles. The 5k was my fastest since January of 2016 which was just before my initial injury struck so I'm glad to be (hopefully) over that long injury nightmare. 

That said I had an hour of open surgery this afternoon for an inguinal hernia so I'm back in sick bay for a month or so again but still hopeful of a good second half of the summer and eventually the Great South Run in October!
  • KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Good luck with Liverpool @Cal Jones, I hope it cools down a bit.

I'm 'avin a week off running to see if I can fix my feet. Compression socks, insoles, golf ball etc. are all out ! Then back to basics with a "fat loss" running programme over the summer, and no more events (except maybe the odd Park Run). Littl'un (she's 6) is doing the 2k Junior Park Runs now, I might join her this week, I think 2k would be a nice distance for me at the moment  :D
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Nice run Matt, and nice to "see" you. Hope you recover quickly from the op. I had a hernia op a few weeks ago and recovered pretty quickly, back to running in 2-3 weeks I seem to remember. Kieran, sounds sensible.
    Cal, if you're lurking, best of luck!
    Me- 8 miles this morning and it was already 26 degrees. Much too hot for my liking (for running. Sitting with a cold drink by a pool is fine ;-) ).  Thank goodness I thought to grab a bottle of water to take with me before I went out the door, as I'm not in the habit of taking water at all but really needed it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nessie. I volunteered at parkrun this morning and it was hot and gross. Glad I wasn't running. Everyone finished drenched in sweat. Fortunately it seems cooler in Liverpool - 15 degrees max (still warmer than Manchester, but doable).
    Good luck with the recovery, Matt - and hope your feet improve, Kieran.
  • Hope you are having good weekends.
    Chelsea was great, rehydrating from that today and giving my feet a rest.

Monday was supposed to be cooling down but it's saying not now. Having not really run for a fortnight hoping I remember how! I'm not great exercising in the heat (my stamina leaves me) and drinking even small amounts when running gives me a stitch so I don't usually but will probably need to and just put up the stitch.
  • Evening runners!
    Hope the various injuries are healing and people have been enjoying the sun.
    Cal, how did it go in Liverpool? Hope it wasn't as hot here in Norwich and you managed to get round and enjoy it.
    After a 5 day 'rest' period due to being on my school residential trip (marathon stamina required for that!) I was itching to get out today. I'd planned and evening run but ended up heading out in the heat at 3pm. My lungs and legs felt surprisingly good, despite the 24C, and I managed a decent 10 miles of trail and road at a steady pace. I felt good at the end and recovered well too. Expected it to be torture but it wasn't - my fitness levels must be ok :) Now for a curry!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Hope everyone who were running an event today had a good one.
    My run today was an easy 6 miler which felt really good in what was very warm conditions which is usually not normal up here in Scotland. This was only my second run trying to loosen the legs after running the Stirling marathon last weekend, itching to get out running again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It was a relatively cool 15 degrees, and the route went through parks with a lot of nice shady trees (well, it was cloudy anyway).
    I got around - hamstring hurt but held up fine - it was the lack of training that did for me (that and a far too enthusiastic first half). I hit the wall at mile 16 and had to take walk breaks after 20. My Garmin time was 4:37:55. Still waiting on the official results. I'm not disappointed since I wasn't even sure I'd get round. It's still faster than my first stab at Manchester last year, if not as fast as the 4:29:29 I put up this April. The medal and shirt are nice and the route was pleasant, but for a few mean hills (downhills were nice though!). I did think I might beat my PB before I smashed into that wall, but you live and learn. I'm still a newbie to marathons - this was only my third - so I haven't yet learned how to pace myself over that distance. I guess I need more practise eh?