New to running looking advice please xx

Hi Im a newbie - hope it's ok to post here image  I downloaded the app couch to 5k run 1 min - walk 3.  Did ok on day one, day 2 (3 days apart) i did the half hour and then decided to walk quickly for another 30 mins as I felt really good.  Got home and as I was going upstairs my knee was making a horrible grinding noise - no pain.  Rested for a week went out for a gentle walk and my knee and lower back is in agony.  Totally gutted as it has taken me a long time to get into 'the zone'. I am taking ibuprofen and putting bio freeze on my back.  Going to get a sports massage on Friday (dreading it), any advice would be very very gratefully received.  I have the proper running shoes but not sure if they need updated as they are 5 years old (used a gait analysis).  Thank you xx

Comments

• First of all, well done for starting, that is in my opinion the most difficult bit. I think the best thing to do is to see a physio (unsure if the person you're having a sports massage from is a physio?) They will give you lots of advice and point you in the right direction. I went months self diagnosing through Google, went and saw a physio and she sorted me out properly. Don't waste time like I did ????
  • Hopefully it will settle with the massage- I presume the person giving you the massage will be able to identify the problem, if not, perhaps a sports physio opinion might help. Don't worry, I'm sure it's just a temporary set back.

• Thanks guys - yes he is a physio so hopefully after my beating(lol massage) I will feel a bit better xx

• Hi, I restarted C25k a few weeks ago having quit smoking.  Last time I did it I found I was trying too hard, shuffling along too fast and trying to fit in too many runs in the time available.  i injured myself. This time I'm taking it really slowly, having rest days and even when I feel I want to do more I don't. Hopefully I'll avoid the pain this time! I feel for you and wish you a speedy recovery!

• CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Im in the same boat. Ive recently started the c25k and surprised myself by getting the bug so hard, bought new supportive trainers and was loving it until i got a groin and inner leg pain on my third run. Being a typical bloke i thought ignore that and it'll go away...... needless to say it didnt and i managed to get home. 4th run tonight second week and the woman on the app says run for 90 seconds. NINETY ? i only started last week mrs. I tried and failed and eneded up just doing what i could. My groin strain was playing up pretty bad but as id started i wanted to carry on. I ended up keeping my legs tighter together which helped. Am i supposed to wait till all my pain is gone or just take it easy ? Im not due my regular sports massage for 2 weeks :-/
  • I am in a similar boat. I have been in and out of exercise for the last 5 years so not totally unfit but by no means a natural runner. I am getting back into it though and like in the past my Achilles tendons are getting sore when I am running. I believe due to me running on the balls of my feet and putting a lot of strain on the area. I have been to see a physio and he said there is no physical problem there, just a conditioning problem and I just need plenty of rest and build up gradually. The top and bottom of it is...Running is hard on the body. There are a lot of people who are naturals and don't understand but for people who don't run and start getting into it there are all sorts of problems you can get from pains and pulls to demoralisation and wanting to quit. The thing to do is take things nice and slow. Don't put pressure on yourself by signing up to a half marathon in 6 months when you cant run 1 mile now. Great motivation but you wont enjoy it and will stress yourself out or injure yourself. Brick by brick, slow and steady is the best way, if you learn how to do this....tell me how  
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Was the last line not a quite from the song "wear sunscreen " ?
  • I never read such misguided nonsense in my life. Is this a wind up? You don't run on the balls of your feet, if c25k say stick with the program and rest a day you rest a day, Running is painful, no pain no gain, you get tired and you have shit runs, but so what, it's not like the world has ended.

Ignore things and they go away lol. Yea sure.......
  • Having never taken part in any physical activity, at 40 I discovered running and it changed my life. After 18 months I was putting in sub 1h 30m half marathons and after 2 years I ran the London Marathon.
    I documented everything I learnt and techniques I used on my journey in a book… I am a runner

Jake Fricker (Author of I am a Runner)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59