New Marathon Stirling Scotland

Comments

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Flash - I wouldn't even bother with the Friday night run - if you're not feeling 100%, you'll benefit more from resting the glute. Your fitness is now what it is, and running on Friday won't do anything to improve this, just rest up for Sunday.

And you will be crying afterwards - I don't think I've managed a marathon yet where I haven't cried at the end. It's a mix of exhaustion, achievement, pride and satisfaction which only comes from doing something as physically difficult as a marathon.

Sounds like you have a good plan in getting there early and chilling out. Standard practice is a scabby old jumper and hat, or a bin liner with holes cut for arms and head works well. Wear until 5 minutes to go and then leave these at the side of the start area. Take a (wide-mouth?) empty bottle with you, then you can always discreetly have a pee without leaving the start pen if you have to.

Take it easy at the outset and stick to your planned pace - it should feel easy for the first 6 miles or so. Get yourself to 20 miles and then see how you feel, you can always step it up if you're still feeling great. Far better to be the guy overtaking at the end stages than the guy who overtakes in the first few miles and ends up walking the last few.

Oh, and it's very normal to be anxious right now - every little niggle feels like the onset of Ebola, and pre-marathon paranoia will kick in, which will hit a climax on Saturday where 26.2 miles will seem like too far to run and how the hell did you ever think you could do this, and everyone else seems so fit-looking and confident, etc. This is normal, and disappears as soon as the starting gun fires.

Good luck everyone!
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Still struggling with my sore back,got an appointment with physio again tomorrow to try a deep massage.I was hoping the pain would be away today or tomorrow to give me a couple of short runs and a chance to stretch out any tight bits,not ran since last Wednesday.

Anyone know of any other marathons with late registration in the next few weeks,Don't want all this hard work to go to waste 
  • > @rodeoflip said:

> Oh, and it's very normal to be anxious right now - every little niggle feels like the onset of Ebola, and pre-marathon paranoia will kick in, which will hit a climax on Saturday where 26.2 miles will seem like too far to run and how the hell did you ever think you could do this, and everyone else seems so fit-looking and confident, etc. This is normal, and disappears as soon as the starting gun fires.
    >
    > Good luck everyone!

Ha ha...

Good luck everyone and hope everyones niggles clear up! Mine isn't, but I'm a determined stubborn person. After a bit of encouragement from my better half the other night, i'm 100% focussed on completing the race at this moment in time. Physio tomorrow and i'll take it from there, but hoping she can perform a miracle.

Good luck with the injury Flash. sounds like a wee niggle that's needing a wee rest. Maybe try rubbing some Voltarol gel into it and foam roll it.

Thanks for the advice on this thread and throughout rodeoflip. Much appreciated.

I'll definitely cry WHEN I finish. or laugh hysterically.

Away for a gentle swim tonight to get some movement then total rest until Sunday.
  • and you lot must be looking at different weather forecasts from me... I'm seeing a southerly wind and drizzle most of the day.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Yep, I see the weather forecast keeps changing. Met Office now saying mostly dry morning with rain appearing before 1pm. Southerly wind. Not much we can do about it.

Peter - if you're determined to finish then you will. If you can get to 20 miles and then remember why you're doing this and focus on that reason, that'll get you to the finish. Hopefully a bit of support from the crowds will help as well, and hopefully we won't all get too dizzy and confused running round in circles for the 3 laps in the second half of the route!
  • ha... might fall over before then :D it'll be interesting to see if there's any problems when the slower runners mix it up with the faster runners when they join in on the 2nd or final lap for the faster. Also, the underpass on that lap looks tight from photos, so that will be interesting.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    This "lapping station" or whatever it's called is going to cause some confusion, especially when people are tired at the end of the race. Faster runner catching up with and trying to get past slower runners could be a real problem, and I'm sure someone will run one lap short. Wonder if anyone will run an extra lap by mistake?
  • > @rodeoflip said:
    > Wonder if anyone will run an extra lap by mistake?

The new Stirling ultra marathon :o)
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    My back feels as if it's starting to ease slightly now,fingers crossed I'm pain free in the next day or 2.Anyone any experience of running having missed the last 10 days or so,I'm thinking of no running at all till Sunday 
  • Jokeybhoy, if you don't run again til Sunday, you'll not be the only one. So frustrating isn't it.

So, at least it's carb loading time. Even if I don't make the start line on Sunday, I'm at least going to enjoy eating over the next few days.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Jokeybhoy, even if all had gone to plan, you would probably still not be running between now and Sunday. Turning up rested on fresh legs is much more important now than risking injury for some kind of fitness gain which won't actually happen. You are where you are, best thing is to rest up now and hope the back holds up on Sunday. You still have a few days recovery, so rest and see how it goes on Sunday? Worst case you have to pull out, but at least you'll have given it your best shot. Best case you'll be fine and the back will behave itself. Hope all goes well.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Right hand gantry twice, left hand gantry once
    Right hand gantry twice, left hand gantry once......

Repeat until about noon on Sunday........

Good luck everyone!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Oh and my daughter came home with a note from school confirming the sports days are on Tuesday and Wednesday next week, and she wants me to run (and win!) the mums' race.

What could possibly go wrong?
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Aye these gantries are going to be interesting. Expecting to see a lot of shouting and last-minute swerving about every time we come to them. My plan will be to stay well right the first two times around to avoid any last minute lane changers.

Wonder how many people's chips will (ahem) mysteriously fail to record a lap but work ok at the finish line? There's also a loop at the uni which looks like it could easily be cut - this good be a great race for any unscrupulous folks who want to get a good time of GFA.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Repeat until noon on Saturday.....first 500 get beer, first 500 get beer, first 500 get beer.
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Anyone with local knowledge recommend the best car park.Im travelling from kilmarnock with my wife.Im the only driver so car park nearest the finish line would be best I think.Ive told her to try get a spot near the loop 
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    JB, from the website:

1. Castleview P&R - capacity 400
    2. Castleview Business Park - capacity 1000
    3. Old School - Raploch Road - capacity 1300
    4. Prudential - capacity 1250 

The first 3 car parks are all pretty close to the finish line, and are easily walkable. The 4th one is handier for coming in off the motorway, but it's a bit out of town and you'd need to get the shuttle bus back out to the car. I would head for one of the first three car parks, or find another car park in the town centre and walk out to the bus departure points. There is plenty of parking in town, either in shopping car parks or up one of the streets in town. At that time of morning the only people around will likely be runners, so if you see a parking space at the roadside, it's fair game. There's also usually parking up the hill towards the castle, but this means walking up a steep hill to get the car after a marathon, might not be a great idea.
  • > @rodeoflip said:
    > Repeat until noon on Saturday.....first 500 get beer, first 500 get beer, first 500 get beer.

Down it, down it, down it, down it!!! There's a new marathon format right there. First 500 to the first beer station get to progress to the next stage :smiley:

Had my final physio last night and was happy to be told to go out for a wee 2 miler to test the legs. All was fine and pain has subsided this morning. Rest now until sunday. If you see a lanky lad laying out on the floor with a physio band doing exercises shortly before the start... please don't trip over me! :blush:
  • All - I cant thank you all enough for allowing me to be part of this discussion and for coming back to me with such good advice. Still niggle on the left hamstring/glute area so no running until Sunday. I find my foal roll is a great help.

Rodeoflip - you are spot on with your advice and with home I am thinking. Sh***ng myself now and my heart races when I think about Sunday... I will need to focus on calming down on the day.

Weather wise - I hope it remains cool. I plan to wear gloves stuffed with goodies to keep me going.

Nessie - right hand gantry twice indeed! I worry about this, esp when exhausted.

All - apparently there could be a "pinch" point when crossing a bridge in Doune where the road narrows - this is somewhere soon after mile 3.

Hope you all enjoy the day and run better than you wish for. I am even getting emotional now writing this and I do NOT EVER cry. wow. I am either getting old or soft.

Good luck everyone. :smile:
  • The bridge in Doune will be fine. It's wide enough for 2 cars (have proven this in the past... oops.) Pinch point will come in the underpass in Stirling, at least twice.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Flash - you will be absolutely fine. Take a few paracetamol if need be before the race, but avoid ibuprofen, it can cause kidney problems when doing something as stressful as a marathon. I'm no doctor BTW, but this is something I've picked up.

Saturday night will be stressful, probably restless. This is normal. On Sunday, everyone else will look like "proper runners" and you won't feel like one. This is also normal. Remember that big marathons typically have around a 70% full start (i.e.- 30% drop out or don't make it to the start line for whatever reason), but over 99% of those who start finish. So the odds are very much in your favour.

Forecast is looking good, hope everyone has a great race and enjoys it.
  • I have not bothered to memorise my race number but it would be great to shake your hand Rodeoflip. Thanks again and all the very best.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Flash, appreciate the thought. I'm running number 99 (running with a yellow "Troon Tortoises" club vest on), and the best way to say thanks would be to slow down at the end if it looks like you're going to finish around 500th place. That way I get the "free" beer. :)

Funnily enough, I bumped into Meadower at the Edinburgh marathon and we established  who each other was, despite never having met in person or knowing what each other looked like or knowing running numbers. It's a  small world.

• Good luck to everyone who is running the first Stirling marathon on Sunday, I will excitedly be at the starting line with you.

Also good luck to anyone who has any event this weekend, hopefully we will all have a good one.
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Looking unlikely for me on Sunday.Tried a couple of miles today.No real pain in my lower back but it still felt a bit uncomfortable.Theres a chance it could loosen up as the race went on but I think I'll just settle for a day at the football unless my back miraculously heals over night.

Thanks for the advice above folks and good luck 
  • Brilliant comments everyone. Buzzing and excited for tomorrow and good to hear that these nerves and exaggeration of imaginary symptoms are just nerves
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    So how did everyone do?
  • Just typed a massive post and it was 2068 characters too long :smiley:
    I'll post a few here it it's ok?
  • Hi rodeoflip! I'm over the moon :smile:

Wee blog type post so as it's recorded to reflect back upon further down my running life!

First of all, the communities of Doune, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and Stirling should be proud of themselves. They turned out in massive numbers with huge voices, despite the rain. It felt magical at times running through the crowds. Also, the masses of volunteers and especially the Red Cross (more on that later) can't get enough credit.

I arrived in good time at one of the car parks near the finish area. Walked straight on a bus and sat down next to a few guys who had arrived 1 hour ahead of me and were still sat on the same bus. I lucked out with that one. Maybe it was an omen for how the day was to pan out.

We got dropped at the pay gates area for Blairdrummon Safari Park, then had a fair distance to walk to the park itself. A good wee warm up? Once in the park, runners were spreading out everywhere. Some grabbing seats, some going for a wander around the animal enclosures. I took a picture of a couple - who had travelled over from Germany for the marathon - with the sea lions. Strolled round and had a chat with the lemurs then headed to get myself a hot chocolate and some toast. Still a good hour to go before the start and you could sense people just wanted to get running. I found a nice bench in a quiet area and had a wee lie down, closed the eyes for minute and listened to Liz McColgan and Zola Budd getting interviewed. Wandered over and grabbed a wee photo of Liz. Zola seemed quite grumpy and obviously wasn't there to win any personality awards.
  • As start time approached, i gathered in the orange start pen with others and chuckled as runners tried their best to keep in time with the warm up put on by the Great Run. Why half the folk bother, I don't know. Surely, you should have a warm up routine and stick to it. I wonder how many folk get injured in that warm up due to doing things their bodies just aren't used to.

Then, it was start time. A few good lucks to those around us and we bunched up into the masses as we headed to the start.

Off went the hooters and I quickly realised that I had positioned myself way wrong! I felt trapped and couldn't get past some very slow starters. I certainly didn't want to go out too fast, but I felt my pacing plan was already going to pot. A left out of the park for a few hundred yards, then double back on the same road and it was a matter of time until we were free, out running on the open (closed) roads.

That first couple of miles up to Doune were great. I passed the 3hr30 pacer half way to Doune and got blethering to a lad from Edinburgh who also runs in the Pentland Hills. I seemed to pull away from him, but would cross paths later on in the run. Doune - simply fantastic. From before the village, all the way through and out the other end, there were crowds of people of unexpected numbers. It was here that I really felt part of something for the first time. The enthusiasm and encouragement of these people was fantastic. So good to high five a few kids, and seeing how excited they were to have someone high fiving back!

After Doune, there's a long climb eastwards towards Dunblane. It's a long hill, but the gradient was fine and I managed to hold pace up there, chatting to another guy. Very pleasant. Then, 7 miles in and we were in Dunblane! Wow, that went fast! I was probably a bit ahead of my target pace here and wanted to slow down, but I felt so comfortable. The groin issues that I had been struggling with in the last couple of weeks hadn't appeared (yet) and all was good with the world. Down through the streets of Dunblane, it was simply incredible. The streets were lined and voices were loud! Such enthusiasm for welcoming this new event to their streets.

A climb out of Dunblane, then a lovely long downhill section all the way to Bridge of Allan. I knew there was a climb into Stirling University coming a couple of miles away, so used the gradient to bank some time. Very comfortable running and then the rain came on. It was refreshing, not cold, and not heavy, like running in a mist. Brilliant. It was here that I noticed more and more that runners are like lemmings. People going the long way round bends in the road, sticking to the outside of the road? Daft, must cost folk a fair bit of time through the course of 26.2 miles.