Children beginners?

My daughter is 9 and is going to be doing cross country training with her school.

Just wondering if she needs this done or if basic running shoes will be ok?

Any help appreciated!image

Tagged:

Comments

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Gait analysis = sales gimmic.
    Nope. 

• Gait analysis is well worthwhile for most adults.  I don't have experience with children, so I'd just be guessing. For one so young, I'd certainly only consider gait analysis carried out by a medical professional - and probably only if you can clearly see that there's an issue to deal with.

• I would say no too.. children run naturally.

• +1 to all the above, how many heel striking kids do you see? Does anyone heel strike as a kid?

• Most xc shoes will be neutral with minimal cushioning so no point.

Also again, not someone who agrees with gait analysis.

• SamBee1SamBee1 ✭✭
    I'm sorry to have to bump this old thread - but as a new poster I genuinely cannot see an option to start a new thread - so apologies in advance. But this is a vaguely related question.

It's not about me - i'm a bog standard parkrunner who's not very quick. But - I was contacted by my daughters school after they undertook the dreaded / wonderful Beep Test. My 6 year old daughter outran her class, the class above, and well, most of the school including most of the 10 & 11 year olds to make level 10 in the beep test. I've done it, but can't remember it, but googling (not that helpful) seems to emphasise it's an amazing standard for a (just) 6 year old. The school are desperate for me to register her in a running club (Highgate Harriers are closest but not until she's 7 apparently).

So, just as i'm not very pushy - can anyone advise - is this genuinely as good a result as it sounds? And should I gently be encouraging her to join a running club (and is it possible - 7 is 11 months off?).

Finally if you can advise how to start a thread - let me know and i'll delete this and post it afresh! Thanks in advance.
  • I have no idea about the beep test, but why not take her along to her local junior parkrun & see if she enjoys that?  If she does, then you'll probably find other parents there who can advise on local options for running clubs, although I wouldn't worry too much about them just yet.  Being a decent runner doesn't hinge on getting into the right club aged 6!  If she's enjoying running around then that's great, plenty of time to get competitive with it later.

• SamBee1SamBee1 ✭✭
    That's a lovely idea - I didn't think I had a Junior one nearby, but just seen that in fact there is one at Highbury now, so that's possible! I don't think she'd enjoy doing the Hampstead Heath 5k one with me somehow..

The beep test thing intrigued me though as it seemed a bit off the scale, but the school was making a lot of it!
  • Hi, nobody answered the question re. how to start a thread. I too am unable to start a thread. Can somebody please advise. Thanks. 
  • Wow! This is literally THE worst forum I've ever come across. If any mods read this please delete my profile. I'm off to www.runnersforum.co.uk as they have a useable format which enables me to start my own thread and more members so I may get a response. I thought this forum would've been decent as it's affiliated with a magazine. I'm going to assume the magazine is just as bad and will avoid that too. Over and out.
  • JazzijJazzij ✭✭✭

There is a 'button' next to the page numbers at the top and bottom of the list of threads that says 'new discussion'

• mharfmharf ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow">Jazzij</a> said:</div>
    <div><p>There is a 'button' next to the page numbers at the top and bottom of the list of threads that says 'new discussion'</p><p>I've asked this question in the newbie section on a thread as I have the same issieThere is no button there??? Just page numbers & a search button???</p></div>
    </blockquote>
  • That's interesting about the bleep test being used at that age. I was lead to believe that it was now a no-no for kids not yet at secondary school age. I did think it was a bit ott to ban it though.
  • To add onto this do any of you run with toddlers/babies? I need advice on a good pushchair to get for running with my child. I'm thinking of buying from hereh http://www.prams.net/ Any help?!
  • I will tell you one thing.
    My cousin was noticed as ,,fit'' girl when she was 7. She she joined Athletics classes twice a week.
    Nowadays she is 11 and she is usually in the first 5 in all running contests she takes part in. My aunt encouraged her and now there are results. I don't care about statistics, elite's results.
    If teachers are telling you that your kid is talented- they have reasons to say so. Let her develop her talents!