P&D spring marathon 2017

Comments

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Reg - Stand down!
    Nailed it.  Just said and it was granted.  "Will you run a good time?" Yes hope so.  "OK, then ".
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Reg - nicely planned out! Will have to give it a go, as my tactic is to sell it as a family holiday with a marathon tacked on. Makes for an enjoyable break but burns through the wallet.

NE - sounds like a really great run.

Alan - hope you recover quickly. I've always found my Garmin to be short on the TM if it's at any pace other than easy. I think it uses your recent average stride length to calculate distance so if you are doing intervals or tempo, it doesn't recognise your longer strides. Do you have a footpod?

HA77 - talking of deek, have you done deek's quarters? 8x400m w/200m float, another hard session although personally I dread the mona fartlek more.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Nice work OuchOuch. That's a busy schedule. 

John - You read my mind. I've got Deek quarters planned for Monday. That's all the Aussie marathon legends covered. 

Got out for a steady 7ish miles last night and just an easy one with strides today.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Do Skechers do ladies shoes in your size Joe? Oh and wait until you turn 40, you get plastic trophies all the time.

Nice line up there Ouch.

HA- People might be doing HA sessions if you knock another 30 minutes off that marathon time next year.

Did my longest run of the year yesterday. A tad under 9 miles out to Dorney lake and back with a 5k tempo around the lake. I kept it pretty steady on the tempo section as my aerobic fitness is well ahead of my muscular/skeletal fitness.

Still, the tempo was in the 6:1x region and 6:4x for the 9 miles. I was operating about 10 beats below my LT max, so I am pretty happy about that. Points to sub 6 for LT pace which is the sort of pace I was doing pre London last year.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Nice run Reg-looking very promising. Glad you are making good progress after all those problems with your foot. you seem to have managed the injuries very well.

A couple of decent running days for me: 9 mile tempo on Tuesday (5:50s for 7 mile tempo section) and 14 miles @ 6:25s yesterday. Not going to do much now before 10km on Sunday, just easy miles and then see how I feel on the day.

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Nice shout out on the podium for Millsy on Marathon Talk this week. Impressive effort by the guy who did 3 in 3 days as well to take out positions 2-4. Did anyone hear my alter ego's contribution to the podium last week?
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Good luck OuchOuch. Don’t know much about the Exeter marathon but hope it’s a good one.

Millsy strong podium on Marathon Talk. Although you were beaten by the same bloke three times. Do you pronounce the place name in the same weird way they did?

JohnOz I have done that 400 hard, 200 float (HM effort) sessions once. Almost got a 5k PB. And are you the secret Kipchoge? Brilliant!

Reg  that run bodes really well. Good point about aerobic fitness vs muscular/skeletal. Although I think of Skeletor whenever I write that.

10M MLR yesterday, feeling a bit sore after some weights on Tuesday. Then this morning saw a return to the ‘Three Hills of Cleeve’ challenge. 1400ft in 8.7M and so steep in places that it is all I can do to not walk. Good hill training (obviously) both up and down but also a good way of hitting some LT heart rates whilst not running very fast. All in the name of getting in shape for the Bourton Hilly Half in four weeks. Gorgeous morning for it – saw cows, horses and a dead frog.

• Sorry to annoy everyone but what is P&D
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It's just the initials of the authors of the book - Advanced Marathoning. 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I was beaten on the  MT podium buy that chap 3 times. His must have been on a flat course! 
    SQ, the proper, old Cornish folk would pronounce it "Snozzle" I don't really have the accent any more but if a few of us are in the pub we tend to get more Cornish the more we drink. 

Ouch ouch, that's a nice schedule. Mine is equally as packed but in much less glamorous locations. 

Great run Reg, still got some speed in the legs. 

Ive had a mixed week so far. Struggled to do 3 miles on Tuesday before jacking it in. Managed 11 last night including 8 at 8min/mile with the club. 
  • Thanks Reg, I was lost
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    No worries, you should give it a go.
  •  Beat me to it Reg  :D
  • OO - you've got marathons coming out of your ears. Pretty sure I'll be on the start line in Valencia with you now.

Reg - gone for mens this time. bright green obviously. great work with the tempo. looks like you've hardly lost any aerobic fitness like you said, really encouraging stuff. 

Tom - rest up now, hoping to hear good news on monday. 

SQ - that sounds pretty brutal to me. did you bury the dead frog?

Couple of sessions today for me. Neither of them running. 3.3km swim and 90 minutes on the turbo trainer. Nuff said - don't want any cards.

I'm in charge of our 3 teams at the Green Belt Relay this weekend (http://www.greenbeltrelay.org.uk/) - it's actually been quite a bit of work over the last few weeks - sorting minibuses, accomodation etc. I'll be running as well though, legs 10 and 17 for me. We meet at 6.50 on the Saturday morning and should be home 10ish on sunday night. Will be a long one!

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    SQ - hehe, yes I am Kipchoge in another life (I wish!). I was inspired to submit it by this article (https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/2017/5/5/runners-hit-breaking2-marathon-expo)
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Tom: couple of nice runs there

Millsy: unlucky on the MT podium

SQ: nice hill session, sounds like great training for your upcoming race

Reg: nice to see you hitting those LT paces.

11 mile trail run with some hills this morning in preparation for another 27 miler tomorrow morning. Off to center parcs Longleat today for the weekend so will be doing the long run on the Wessex Ridgeway - I'm hoping its well marked and easy to navigate although I have it programmed into my Fenix as well and I have a map printed off so hopefully I should be able to find my way around.
  • John - I listened to that, can't believe it was you, had me in stitches! 

AWC - sounds like a lovely weekend planned. What do you do for nutrition or are you still trialling that in preparation? 

4 hours starting at a wall on the turbo trainer this morning. Thought it was going to chuck it down. It didn't.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Sounds like fun AWC. Hope the weather is ok.

Good on you for organising the relay Joe. A real team player unlike myself. Looks like a great race too. I once did something similar but only over one day. My team drove off without me when I went to take a dump in the bush. They didn't realise I was missing until it was my turn to run. No mobile phones back in the day so I had to scrounge lifts off other teams to get back up to my team.

Might sneak out for something easy later on.

Anyway, I've copied Joe and Spoon and started a blog. I'd like to think it's about reflecting on my thoughts for my own benefit but no doubt there's some narcissism involved. It's all pretty rough and I haven't thought too much about pictures or anything like that. The first post was just my London marathon thoughts that I put on here as a word document. I've just put up a second one, thinking about marathon predictors. Have a look if you're interested:

https://sub230blog.wordpress.com/2017/05/19/marathon-predictors/ 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: coffee, toast and a clif bar (peanut butter yum!) for brekkie. 1 Clif Shot Blok every couple of miles and around halfway I'll eat another clif bar. I have a Camelbak for hydration with electrolyte tabs in it. Worked well last week. No gels as they make me feel sick and as the pace is slow I much prefers the cars/bloks to eat.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good way of getting off the Centre Parcs compound AWC. 

Joe - 4 hrs on a turbo is f*cking nuts! I assume you meant staring at the wall, don't you have a telly or something?

HA joins the bloggers, I must admit I spent an hour starting one of those once but that's where I left it. I had nothing interesting to say.

4.2k swim last night and a recovery run this morning, 7 hours on the turbo planned later, just to outdo Joe.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good blog post HA. Coincidentally (maybe) I'd just discovered Christof's blog too. Very interesting to see how far out it was for you & that the other predictors all had you running quicker than you did.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    HA77 - that's was a good read.  I have found the Riegel predictor best for me. e.g. Recent HM time I adjusted down to 81.30 and it got to within 5 seconds of my recent VLM time. Re: Blogs I think I have something interesting to say but find other people are far better at saying them and their more photogenic.
    Talking of which, yes look forward to seeing you at Valencia Joe.   Good luck herding the running cats over the weekend, looks fun and from my old stomping ground in Hampton.
    Tapering today and for the first time have a headache caused by my caffeine drought.  
    Reg- That looked a decent run but the swim and cycle ride, that's just plain silly.
    Millsy - Yes, that's the plan - places you would like to visit and can spin a 72 hour pass by running its marathon.  
  • StuHolmesStuHolmes ✭✭✭
    Only an occasional lurker here, but thought I would share my recent P&D successes.
    Followed 18/55 for a new PB of 3:57 at a v. hot Brighton (prev. 4:15)
    Then used the 4 week multiple marathons plan for 3:52 at a much cooler Geneva marathon!

Next target Abingdon, using 18/55 again.

One q. I'm sure has been asked before; Tune-up races in the plans are on Saturdays, followed by a long run Sunday. Most races in the UK are on a Sunday, so do most people here try to fit in their long run on the Monday??
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Welcome Stu.

I did two HM's in the build up and for the first one I just swapped the MLR and LR around. The MLR became the HM race and the LR was done a bit shorter and slower. 

For the 10k I didn't really bother, I think I did a time trial on my own. I think the plan is more of a guide and set of principles. He says something in the book about not actually wanting to put the schedules in there but we all know nobody would have bought the book if he'd left them out.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Jools - I'd looked at the marathon predictor on Christof's blog before London but it was only after he got a mention on the sub3 thread recently that I started looking at his other stuff which got me thinking about predictors again.

OuchOuch - I think to run your Riegel marathon time based on a HM it's a really good conversion. Well done.

Stu - I did my long runs on Friday so would just do an LT type run on the Thursday instead of the tune up races. I'll be at Abingdon too along with plenty of others on this thread.

Have you started your 7 hour turbo session yet Reg? Good luck with that.

Got out for a steady 13 miles this afternoon. Felt pretty good.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    HA: Thought it might be due to CWs mention of it on Sub-3. Just gone back over my last 5 marathons to see how it compared. I ran quicker Brighton14 & 16 + Abo16 by 5, 5 & 3 mins respectively however I was slower at VLM17 & Brighton15 by about 4 minutes each time. Since I run a lot of hills compared with most & also swim/bike I'd expect to be a bit quicker than the predictor. I'm sure had I gone out to get 3:05-3:10 at VLM I would have managed it since I'd not have blown up so spectacularly.

Welcome StuH. Good work on the back to back PBs & I'm sure that with consistency you'll knock another chunk off at Abingdon.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Did I say turbo session? I meant drink a beer.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Stu: welll done on the PBs especially PBing in the second race. Like Reg I normally swapped sessions around. Sometimes I race a parkrun on Saturday and LR on Sunday

28 miles today around center parcs (Longleat) and the Wessex Ridgeway. The views from the Ridgeway were some of the best I've ever seen over Wiltshire although I had to work for them as it's much steeper than the South Downs Way. I'm finding the Clif bars and shot bloks really food for fuelling as they seem to agree with me much better than gels. Legs feel pretty battered but no injuries so just off for a jacuzzi and then beer and food!!
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Great job on the distance training AWC. 

HA77, enjoyed your blog. I do have one odd question though - how did you cut out evening snacking? (I'm always thinking about what to eat next... )