Abingdon Marathon 2017

TheRedEyeJediTheRedEyeJedi ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Events

I couldnt find a thread for this years event so forgive me if I have missed it?   Just wondering how many of you are doing this event?  

Its my home town marathon and after spending the past couple of decades being fat and watching other people run this event (and stopping me getting my car out of my drive ;) I found myself looking at the website, noticed they were open and went for it :o

Running is completely new for me - very interested in people who have done this event as first timers.   What was your starting times for 5k, 10k ect...what were your best times in training and what did that result in for your Abingdon marathon time?

Tagged:

Comments

• I did my 1st marathon in 2009 having only started running about 2yrs before.  My 1st 10k in 2007 I did in 53mins and by the time I was in marathon training in 2009, I had got that down to 40:24.  I did a half mara 6 weeks before the race in 1:31.  If running is completely new as you say, you should start building up some distance runs even now although marathon plans don't start the formal training until 16 weeks before the race.  I have always used one of the training plans on this web site and find they work for me.  General advice is that you shouldn't increase either distance OR speed by more than 10% per week as this reduces the risk of injury.  Do the training and it will all be more pleasant on the day!
  • I did my 1st marathon in 2009 having only started running about 2yrs before.  My 1st 10k in 2007 I did in 53mins and by the time I was in marathon training in 2009, I had got that down to 40:24.  I did a half mara 6 weeks before the race in 1:31.  If running is completely new as you say, you should start building up some distance runs even now although marathon plans don't start the formal training until 16 weeks before the race.  I have always used one of the training plans on this web site and find they work for me.  General advice is that you shouldn't increase either distance OR speed by more than 10% per week as this reduces the risk of injury.  Do the training and it will all be more pleasant on the day!

Thanks for the reply, that really useful info....what was your actually marathon time for that first one?   Running is completely new to me but I have been doing long distance road cycling for the past few years so im used to endurance training.  

I have been hovering around 17-19 stone for most of my adult life but the last 2 years of training has seen me down to 14 st 12 so running has become bearable!  I would like to see at least another stone vanish before October.

Currently i'm getting in around 20 miles per week with my long run up to 10 miles.   My 5k is at 27:40 and I can do the 10 mile run at around 10min/mile.  Im still roads cycling on my days off but the plan is cut back on the cycling as the running increases .... Ive got a kid due in September so running fits in better than long distance cycling!

Abingdon has a 5 hour limit so im training for a 4 hour time to give me some breathing space.   I will follow a tailored 4 hour/16 week plan but until then im going with 3-4 runs a week with a long run, a tempo run and a 5 k effort involved.  

I started a very casual base build in October last year which was essentially a 4 mile walk everyday combined with treadmill speed work and 3-4 core exercise sessions a week.   I have been doing the ironfit runners programme which really does seem to be helping - I think 3 years of road cycling had left lots of my running muscles largely unused!

• You are doing well and with your base of getting some long runs in already, you will reduce your risk of injury- the main reason why at least 30% of marathon entrants can't run on the day.  I ran 3:22 at my first marathon in London, having put down 4:00 on the entry form.  By the time I was into the training, I thought I'd do 3:30 so i was very pleased.  I even managed a negative split! 
    One of the most important aspects to marathon running is to stick to a planned pace o the day.  Its v easy after the taper and with the buzz on the day to go racing off at the start.  But then die later on!
    I'm finding as I get older that adding in some cycling to replace my mid week medium run is keeping my legs in better shape as i don't need the recovery that the run would need.  But as you say, cycling uses different muscles- in particular it allows the hamstrings to shorten.
    You have a good mix of training there- I usually add in some hills too so one week I would do a speed session, then the next some hills.  Running up and down Sandy lane in Wootton several times is quite challenging!  No doubt you have discovered our parkrun at Rye meadow for your 5k effort?

• Hello I am running Abingdon for the first time this year. I have run a couple of marathons in the past but am quite slow so hoping to build up my speed. Have not trained properly for a couple of years due to work but have built back up to 20 milers again since Christmas. I am a bit worried about the cut off time so am introducing myself to some speed work. I mostly run trail with the dogs but could not resist as it is so close to home. Any advice on this one welcome.
  •  No advice needed for this one.  It's flat, fast and well organised.  Only advice would be to remember not to wear headphones there is a strict and enforced (which is rare but very welcome) no headphones policy. 

If you are running 20 miles regularly now you should be in good shape come the autumn.  

Don't burn yourself out over the summer though.  Not sure if you're running a spring marathon but maybe focus on some shorter faster stuff for a few months before picking up training for this 3-4 months out.  This should help with any cut off worries. 
  • Cheers no worries about the head phones managed to break that habit last year since running with the dogs. I'm hoping for a half before October. I have also signed up for the Thames trot 50 next Feb first ultra so Abingdon will act as a bit of a training run.
  • Did my first GFA here in 2010 sub 3 in 2011 and London 2012, Not managed another since so wanted to get "back to basics" and get back this year to Abingdon where I always had a good run. Not getting any younger (52) so wanted another crack at a sub 3! :-) 
  • Good luck with sub 3 what plan are you following I can't imagine going that fast.
  • The race is now full but a waiting list will be held- over 150 swaps took place last year so you may be lucky.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    I'm on the waiting list. I imagine the majority of transfers must happen quite close to the race itself. 
  • hello:
    signed up again for abingdon. past two years transferred places due to injury. 
    back to road running after a few years doing track and XC. getting used to road training. so have started out on a plan to get the miles slowing building up to a decent training volume. 

hope to you at the start line.
  • You are doing well and with your base of getting some long runs in already, you will reduce your risk of injury- the main reason why at least 30% of marathon entrants can't run on the day.  I ran 3:22 at my first marathon in London, having put down 4:00 on the entry form.  By the time I was into the training, I thought I'd do 3:30 so i was very pleased.  I even managed a negative split! 
    One of the most important aspects to marathon running is to stick to a planned pace o the day.  Its v easy after the taper and with the buzz on the day to go racing off at the start.  But then die later on!
    I'm finding as I get older that adding in some cycling to replace my mid week medium run is keeping my legs in better shape as i don't need the recovery that the run would need.  But as you say, cycling uses different muscles- in particular it allows the hamstrings to shorten.
    You have a good mix of training there- I usually add in some hills too so one week I would do a speed session, then the next some hills.  Running up and down Sandy lane in Wootton several times is quite challenging!  No doubt you have discovered our parkrun at Rye meadow for your 5k effort?

Did my first long run with some hills involved on Sunday.  Went up to Boars Hills from Radley and then down into Bayworth before climbing Bitch Hill and down into Old Wootten (10 mile run) at 10 min/mile.   Found out I am useless at running down hill - need to pick a less severe gradient to practice on but luckily Abingdon marathon is flat!

Had a week off running completely last week as my right hip and right knee were starting to become painful on runs.   I replaced all my runs with cycling or resistance stuff.   Must have just been over use as it seems fine after Sunday.   Glad I gave myself a long run up at this marathon as I can see rest periods being far more useful than they are for my cycling,

Might give Abingdon parkrun a go this week - can I just turn up or do I need to register first?

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jedi: you can turn up to parkrun without registering however you won't receive a time as you will be listed as 'unknown' on the results page. Registering is quite easy and you just get a little barcode to scan at the finish which records your time against your name.

I've emailed Abingdon to get on the waiting list as I forgot this sold out really quickly. Fingers crossed.
  • Tommo81- most swaps happen only once the runners start cranking up the miles for obvious reasons.  Despite dealing with 188 swaps last year, over 470 didn't start the race.  About 150 of those had emailed me to say they couldn't run too late for a swap to take place (or the waiting list was empty of runners who could run at very short notice).  I emailed the rest and again, not surprisingly most weren't running due to injury.
    I think the London marathon has about 25% drop out rate before the race but we have a very different clientele racing at Abingdon- many won't run unless they are 100% fit.  Whereas at London many runners are doing it for charity and will run even if they have a leg falling off!
    RedEyedJedi- do come along to Abingdon parkrun.  We are a very friendly bunch and cater for all types of runners.  Quite a few of them are also running Abingdon marathon and there is a wealth of experience there too to tap into.  And/ or join Abingdon AC- we had a long run group in the run up to the VLM which made the long runs much more bearable. And if you are aiming for 4hrs, you won't be the slowest marathon runner in the club by several hours!
  • I'm looking to do Abingdon marathon next year as part of my training for dragon seekers, is it a first come first served or is it a ballot like the London marathon?
    'Run, Ride, Live'
    Twitter @TeamSLTA or Facebook @TeamSLTA
    Online : http://slightlylessthanawesome.com/
  • First come first served I think it is full now but you can go on the waiting list.
  • Yup, only entries now are through swaps (or enlisting in the army which is a bit of an extreme way to get a place!).

• Paul Rees 5Paul Rees 5 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with sub 3 what plan are you following I can't imagine going that fast.
    Bad Teacher - Well this year is totally different to how I've ever trained for a marathon! My old coach who did my first marathon plan has given me something totally different so interesting to say the least! No runs over 20 miles when I've always done at least one twenty four miler, three 22 milers. But the Sunday runs are tough and aiming for race pace! Not high mileage which again ive only ever averaged about 45/55 miles a week and nothing daft in the week. So he wants me to focus on the long runs and making them quality runs! Should be fun!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm down for Abingdon and given my injury history there's a good chance I won't run!

My target will be to run a champs time for London but it will be a short build up off the back of the triathlon season, so it might be a big ask.
  • If anyone has to make the unfortunate decision to withdraw I am on the waiting list and would be willing to take your place and reinburse you of your entry fee.
  • TheRedEyeJediTheRedEyeJedi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

How's everyone doing then?   I guess most of us are into a 16 week plan of some kind now?

My progress is decent.  Weekly mileage is now up to 30 miles per week with two x half marathon long runs in the bank in the last month (2h 6min and 2hour 8 minutes)  and several runs of 10 miles or more.   My long runs are at about 30-45 seconds slower per mile than my 4 hour marathon pace and although I am finding them hard, I am getting through them with a bit left in the tank and able to run the next day.

I am still doing most of my anaerobic work on the bike (to keep bike fit too) and also to try an avoid injury.   The majority of my runs being threshold stuff at marathon pace or slower recovery runs.

I am not following any specific marathon plan but trying to take the general advice of a few different ones and fit it around my lifestyle.   The majority of my runs are confined to my lunch hour which gives me around 40 minutes of running each day with a long run at the weekend.   I seem to be able to comfortably handle running at threshold type efforts for that duration each day.  I am hoping that by maintaining my marathon pace through the week while building fatigue it will get my body used to what is going to happen to it in the second half of a marathon.

If I keep feeling strong and fit I plan to lose some of my anerobic evening half hour bike sessions and replace them with some running intervals.   I have done a few interval sessions on my feet in my lunch hour but at this stage I find the recovery needed from them negatively effects all of my training for the next week or so after.   Hoping that as I lose more weight and build running fitness I might be able to add in some speed work without getting injured or needing more rest days.  As I seem to be on the right side of the injury tightrope currently while keeping on track for 4 hour marathon pace im hesitant to start piling on more stress.

Be great to hear how some of you are getting on - especially if you are a first timer or looking for around the same time as me (4 hours)

• Hello red eye my training has been up and down.  Hitting 30 -35 miles a week and trying to add speed work.  

Last week my calf popped and I thought I was out of the race but it somehow stopped hurting the next day. 

Im lucky to be a teacher so six weeks off to focus the training just wish I could speed up! 

Hope me everyone is doing ok 
  • Hi guys, I'm back at Abingdon after a few years hiatus racing elsewhere and looking forward to getting back. 
    Old shadowfox, do you know if there are any rules regarding spectators passing drinks to athletes? Also is it still water in cups and are there any gels on offer? 
    Much appreciated and hope everyone's training goes as smooth as marathon training goes!!
  • Hi.. I'm doing abingdon for the first time this year..I have already a marathon this year, it was brighton..I'm hoping to achieve a time of 3.15./3.20..just asking on here for any good advice to help me achieve this..are there any pacers in this race?
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got a place going? 
  • Martin - technically that would be outside assistance and you could be disqualified but unless you're challenging for the lead it's unlikely.

Never been official pacers at Abingdon that I know of norfolkrunner but you may find a group to work with if you ask around.

GBRM - are you on the official transfer list?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • GBRMGBRM ✭✭✭
    Hey LMH - I have a place, but my friend is looking for a place - I've put him on the official transfer list.
  • Sorry - misunderstood - last year I think everyone on the waiting list got a place so your friend should be ok.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • How is everyone's training going?  Not long now until the day. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My training is going ok, my focus is still on my Ironman in three weeks time so I'm not on a training plan. After a few months of no running due to stress fractures I have been running consistently, recently around the 30-40 mile a week mark but with a lot of cycling and some swimming on top.

I did run a training marathon as part of the long course weekend in Tenby, it was a hilly course and I ran a comfortable 3:13 so I was pleased to get through that without any trouble.

I only have a few weeks post IM to focus on recovery and then to do some sort of training before the race. I really want to run sub 2:45 and then do London off the champs start but I've done no fast running this year, so we'll see how that goes.