Fairly new runner - general foot pain

I started running two months ago, first about once a week and then slowly going up to three times per week, composed of one Parkrun (5k), one shorter run (3-4k), and one run/walk (Couch to 5k).

At the start, my muscles felt great and it was my breathing that was holding me back.

Then I seemed to get a handle on my breathing and all was great for a couple of weeks.

Then suddenly three weeks ago after a particularly active weekend where I ran twice and hiked 8km, my feet have felt tight and painful constantly - when I run, walk, whatever. I left three rest days between my last run on Sunday and another attempt today and from the first step they felt tight and painful. No one part is painful enough to make me think "I've injured that bit", it's just a general all-over soreness.

I've been stretching after running, massaging them, bought a foot roller, I've tried ice footbaths, lacing my shoes for better support, strapping them... but to no avail.

I'm running 6.5 minute kilometers so don't think I'm overdoing the pace. I think my technique is okay but not sure - I do tend to land on my forefoot though and am aware I should maybe be aiming for midfoot instead.

Is this normal and will pass as my feet adapt, or do I need to take a break? After really struggling with my aerobic fitness at the start and having now got on top of that, I'm really reluctant to take a break.
Tagged:

Comments

• if you tend to prefer your forefoot, it is possible/common that you have quite tight and short calf muscles... this can cause pain right the way down your lower leg and into your foot... its hard to say for sure, and you really need to see a decent physio if it continues, but i'd start with some regular gentle calf/achilles stretches (like heel drops) and see if that helps.
    lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Have yiu had a proper fitting for running shoes? Made a massive difference. The shop picked mine after an assessment and i couldnt be happier. No foot pain since.
  • Sounds like the plantar collagen is tight. Try rolling a golf ball hard under your foot without socks on for 5 mins a day.