Comrades 2017

Comments

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Thought the shorts might be a bit too much (both in colour and price) so sticking with good old black (who sadly passed away recently)
  • Lowrez..if you have two spare medium men's t-shirts I will buy them off you...

So lucky I am not booked with ba to fly tonight...hoping that the airport won't be too manic later on..feel sorry for all those whose plans are thrown into chaos with all the cancellations
  • Seren - have a great flight

Lowrez - great work putting all that down for us. Do we also get tog bags to put our stuff in or do we provide our own. It didn't say on that list.

How much water is in those little sachets. Not sure yet whether to take a little bumbag to put some in. Don't really like running holding things.

Has everyone just had an email about final verification. Mine is still saying G so have just emailed the accountant lady who was very helpful before and has given me email confirmation that I'm in C and it's been changed!! It seems quite hard work getting them to put C down :(
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    ss - you get given a tog bag at registration which contains number, shirt, cap etc. I tend to take my own since at least it stands out a bit when trying to find it at the International Tent area at the end. Quite a lot of people tend to use the one they are given. You are also given a sticker with a number on at registration which, one half you stick to your bag and the other bit stick on the back of your number so you can match the two together when you collect. And it will be different than your race number but that doesn't matter.

With regards the sachets, they are probably about the size of a mobile phone (ish). Grab and use 2 or 3 but you are never normally more than a couple of k away from the next so no real need to carry them. The only time i carry fluid is at the start when the first table is about 5k away and when you get to it its a bit manic so i run straight through to the next where its a bit calmer. I use a small plastic bottle and then discard after the first table.

Hope your number seeding gets sorted as well. I was wondering when the final verification were going to come. It tends to get later each year :)

Not long now....
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I use the standard bag provided because by the time I finish and get to the International Tent there is only one left, mine :)

Two medium reserved for you seren - see you at The Hilton :) - hoping BA get their act together for you.

Still 2 each of L and XL available if anyone else is interested :)

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I ask this every year and I know I don't need to be concerned and can ignore it, but, what is that pkpass file they send with the confirmation of entry e-mail?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Hang on its for a phone app that I don't use
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I quite often think my Comrades completions are beginner luck thanks to everyone for being my Mr. Miyagi :)
  • Hi lowrez, I'd be keen on one of the large shirts 

I'm making my lists and starting to pack - my flight is tomorrow evening 

• Have a great flight Mr Z

Making lists too. Feel I'm missing something
  • Oof. Super hot in Luxembourg at the moment. 30 degrees at the start at 7pm last night, still over 25 by midnight. With a group of experienced multi-marathon runners we had full-on heat exhaustion, dizziness, vomiting and dnfs. Comrades should be pleasantly cool by comparison!
  • jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭
    One week to go!   A safe journey out and good luck to all in the race.  I'll probably wonder down to Joe Cool's on Monday lunch time to share woes and triumphs etc if anyone's there.

JB
  • AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Well I'm here then.  Spent Friday morning being super organised , even writing a list of all my comrades kit to take and making all that was packed before starting on what the family needed for the week.  Off to daughters school sports day before getting stuck in traffic getting to Manchester airport.  

Oh well, I thought, if getting to the airport at 16:30 for a 17:30 flight is the worst, I can deal with that.  Got to check in to find that flight had been moved to 17:00, and that it was now closed.  Lots of pleading faces and some serious grovelling got us onto the flight, but only if we carried all the baggage, and got to the gate in 15 minutes.  OK then, so where did I pack all those gels so carefully that now had to be out and into a clear plastic bag, as well as all the other stuff.  Then the bag was too big to fit through the X-ray machine and had to go round three times, then the massage stick looked like a weapon, then daughter desperately needed a loo stop. Finally left security at 16:55, thank heavens MAN T3 is fairly small!  

Still sweating when when we landed at Paris, where we caught up with a very patiently waiting Terry48.  

Anyhow, am in ZA now and I hope all of your journeys are a lot less stressful than mine.  All I have to now is to lose the cold I picked up on the flight and get rid of the insect bite the size of a £2 coin in my calf......
  • jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭
    I think the race is not so hard, it's the getting to the start line!  Well done, I missed baggage check in by 90 seconds for an Easyjet flight to Palermo 4 weeks ago following an M25 junction closure, they wren't so accomodating.  Result?  A drive all the way home from Gatwick a train to London City and a flight with Alitalia via Milan.  You did well Andy  : )  PS. That insect had a big mouth.
  • Andy sounds like a nightmare journey.  Hope you have a chilled week. 

JB here's to an easier journey to SA

how do the championchips attach. Is it to shoes and if so do they provide ties?  Got elastic laces so can't undo them. 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Or..

I usually put mine a lot lower on my shoe to avoid it digging in. Have used the ankle straps if given out at races and they are very comfortable. I suspect you may be able purchase one at the expo but I'd be worried about leaving it that late.

• Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks. So I could buy some ties or take something to attach them to my laces. 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Cable ties to your elastic laces might work too? Just ensure the ties are not duds, all the teeth present, I lost my chip at Wrexham because the ties were rubbish.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Mr Z - one large, reserved for you! Leaving 1 L and 2 XL to go.
  • Yes don't need to worry about losing it☹️
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Make sure it is on your shoe or ankle, ie low down, the chip has a very limited range, don't put it on your wrist for example. With the advent of these foam inclusions on running numbers people are starting to assume you can pin these higher; you can't.
  • AndyLid, sympathies - I've had journeys like that.

jellybean: I've had ones like that as well!

Belaire Suites: was about to check whether there will be a kettle in the room so I don't have to lug my travel kettle along - but just looked at their website and it says there's a kettle in every room. That's good news.

Insurance: can people remind me of the good insurance companies again???

Not run since last Tuesday morning, due to being at a conference and too tired all week to get up early, after only 2 hrs sleep on Tuesday night. But I did do about 3-4 hours walking on Wednesday, Saturday and yesterday, the last two days in warm temperatures at Berlin Zoo and Tierpark Berlin respectively. Will go for a run today and see how the piriformis copes - I can feel it's still tight which is worrying since I don't see any way of getting a physio appointment before leaving for South Africa.
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    > @Southern Snail said:
    >
    > How much water is in those little sachets. Not sure yet whether to take a little bumbag to put some in. Don't really like running holding things.
    >

I'd highly recommend taking a small bottle with you from the start to avoid the first few aid stations as they're absolutely manic 'til people spread out a bit.

Figure I've waited long enough so will be compulsively checking the weather every few hours from now on :smile: Looks ok at the moment with a high of 23C.

Have a local 5k event tomorrow evening so trying to decide what to do, at the moment I'm thinking of a solid tempo run seeing as it's short enough.

Printed out the registration info at work this morning, it's all very real now!
  • Weather forecasts I've seen range from 22-25C...
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JK - will take a bottle to start with and a bumbag for tissues, lip balm and plasters.
    Couldn't find sachets of sun lotion so 1 spraying will have to do.

Patch sewn on rucksack. Parkrun bar codes laminated. Suntan lotion bought. Getting closer...
    We've been told to take fleeces for Johannesburg. I can see its colder at night time. Strange mixture of clothes to be packed..
  • Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    OK, double checking, the only paperwork we need to take with us is the pdf attached to the final confirmation email, that plus passport and chip (if we already have it - don't panic, first timers) will get us our numbers? Anything else I've forgotten/failed to print out?
  • Your patches work a treat lowrez
  • Recommendations for what to put in bag to send to the finish? Am i likely to want lightweight or a heavier layer? Footwear to change into? Anything else?
  • Having a wonderful time in South Africa...it's beautiful here