Comrades 2017

Comments

• John1946John1946 ✭✭✭
    Just dropped in to wish everyone good luck on Sunday.  Seem to be a lot of recidivists on here, back for more punishment!  Have a great race, one and all.
  • PG3: I checked by phone and was told by their sales person that ultra WAS included. It says "marathons" and it says running (both sprinting and long distance" (and it says "triathlons") and no printed distance limits - and ultras are NOT included in the hazardous pursuits requiring extra premiums.
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Debra - I did sportscoverdirect for the insurance. Only about £10/12 It comes under ultras on foot
  • SS: too late now! I was thinking about them but I needed general holiday insurance as well - I don't have an annual policy as I get European travel cover by having a Nationwide bank account and rarely need more.
  • Just a massive thank you to all of you how post regularly on this forum. It has been an incredible source of useful info for me and I'm sure many others have also benefited. Not long to go now!

I fly on Thursday night, via JNB on the dreaded BA. Here's hoping there isn't another 'IT glitch', and will be heading straight to the expo from the aiport so that I can relax all day Saturday. I'm staying in Hillcrest and my brother in law is dropping me at the start, so please let me know if you'd like a lift and can make your way to 'Plantations Estate' on Sunday morning.

I'll be wearing a Pancreatic Cancer UK running top - please say hello if you pass me by on the course. Weather is crepping up 26 degrees and 55% humidity forecast for Sunday.
  • Who needs a Chanel handbag when you can create one of these stylish items?
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    I love it and I want one :)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Sorting out my travel insurance too, looking at doodahdirect SS - annual global multi-trip £190, but I only have two trips planned this next year and singling them out it'll be £90 in total, question is - do I fancy anything more in the next year abroad... hmm... 
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    > @jonathanmayne said:
    > Just a massive thank you to all of you how post regularly on this forum. It has been an incredible source of useful info for me and I'm sure many others have also benefited. Not long to go now!
    >
    > I fly on Thursday night, via JNB on the dreaded BA. Here's hoping there isn't another 'IT glitch', and will be heading straight to the expo from the aiport so that I can relax all day Saturday. I'm staying in Hillcrest and my brother in law is dropping me at the start, so please let me know if you'd like a lift and can make your way to 'Plantations Estate' on Sunday morning.
    >

Think I'm on that same flight! Was a bit concerned about the disruptions earlier in the week as well, fingers crossed it will be sorted by Thur. I'll stick on one of my old Comrades t-shirts so say hello if you see me (or one of the dozens of other people no doubt!).

Had a nice sunny outing for a local 5k this evening, ended up going a little bit faster than I'd hoped as you tend to get dragged along by people in a race.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Well these insureandgo boys are very cheap in comparison? Their annual budget policy is scarily cheap at £46 and includes everything Debra describes above, but I'll go for the next step up at £61 in case my accommodation goes up the spout, more cover for that option. The only annoying thing is it auto-renews unless you call them to stop it happening in a years time.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    RR 8 miles with a flag (South African) in that heat is superb acclimatisation! PS thanks for the likkle orphans donation :) 
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hotels
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri), Dannirr
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, lowrez, AndyLid
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck, Matt..
    Elangeni & Maharani - Mango-Chillie
    Out at Uhmlanga – Mac3, jkissane
    Out at Hillcrest - jonathanmayne

Flights
    Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri13:15), AndyLid
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne(arr.Thu16:25.depMon), Running Rodent, Southern Snail, caashford(arr.Thu16:25.depTue)
    South African - marty74
    BA - Mango-Chillie(Dep.May31), seren nos (arr.Thu.am), Slow Duck, jonathanmayne(dep.Thu.pm), jkissane(dep.Thu.pm)
    Lufthansa – Mac3(Arr.Thu.late morning)

14:30 Thursday International Comrades Ambassadors Shakedown Run start/finish: the courtyard immediately behind the Durban Hilton, distance: 4km to 7km

Mr Zuvai

17:30 Thursday International Runners Meet and Greet (with Bruce Fordyce and other revered Comrades Greats)
    Venue: Rainbow Terrace, at the Durban Hilton Hotel. Cost: R200 at the door, finger food included, buy your own drinks. Finishes at 20:00
    Mr Zuvai, Slow duck
    07:30 Friday Bus Tour starring the legendary
    Running Rodent, Dannirr, marty74
    08:45 Friday Bus Tour - seren nos+Mr sn, Mr Zuvai, Southern Snail, Mango-Chillie

18:45 Friday Spiga - Mac3+1, Southern Snail+1, seren nos+1, Debra Bourne, caashford, Terry48(+2possibles)

07:30 Saturday Bus Tour – lowrez

08:00 Saturday North Beach
    and Mugg & Bean afterwards
    Debra Bourne, caashford, Southern Snail+Mr SS, Becca7, Matt.., Dannirr, seren nos+Mr sn, Running Rodent, marty74+friend, matt brooker, Terry48, Mr Zuvai, Mango-Chillie, Mac3, Slow Duck, AndyLid+daughter, jkissane

05:30 Sunday Comrades
    PenA - WarrenK78, caashford, Odeon1085
    PenB - Matt.., Mac3, marty74, Peter R, AndyLid, jkissane
    PenC - becca7, lowrez, Southern Snail, seren nos, Mr Zuvai
    PenD - Debra Bourne, Mango-Chillie
    PenG - Mango-Chillie, Slow Duck, Running Rodent

09:30 Monday Mugg & Bean Breakfast Bash
    Just turn up from 09:30 onwards; nothing overly formal it’s a café with a wonderful menu with a heap of UKish Comrades runners descending upon it wearing their UK T-Shirts or the Comrades goody bag one or indeed anything they damn well please, group photo around 11:00 then go for a stroll on the beach front; it’ll be good for your legs, even splash your toes in the Indian Ocean. Bruce’s after party or Joe Cools is easily walkable or just hang at Mugg & Bean etc…
    caashford, Debra Bourne, Becca7, lowrez, matt brooker, Slow Duck, Southern Snail, seren nos

12:30 Monday Bruce Fordyce After Party
    California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban,
    12:30 till 17:00 R550 per person. A celebratory conclusion of the race relaxing with athletes, family, friends and personalities sharing race highlights trials and tribulations. Live entertainment, buffet lunch, cash bar
    caashford, Mac3

pm Monday Joe Cools (upstairs) 137 O R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban,
    The alternate laid back after party, no entry fee, we are all celebs anyway because we are Comrades runners, venue is on the beach front before you get to California Dreaming if one is dragging one's aching bones down from the Mugg & Bean Breakfast Bash
    jelly bean, Becca7, lowrez
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    John1946 - nice to hear from you and thanks for the message.  I did the Jung Frau marathon (as you have done) last September as we discussed and it was an interesting/spectacular experience!  I hope that your running goes well and we might see you next year!  
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Joe Kools is not as good as it used to be but it was still ok last year.

The nice thing is that people tend to drop in to see if there's anyone they know to have a beer with...

Safe travels everyone and see you in Durban.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    SD, those orphans love you too :) hope to see you on the ground in SA; if not in MaccyD's during the event, then on Monday in one of the watering venues :)
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    John1946 - will we see you in Durban? Thanks for the best wishes :)
  • @jkissane most certainly will look out for you! I'll be with the family, so if you see a middle aged man trying to control an 6 and a 8 year old - you know that's me!

I'll look out for becca7, lowrez, Southern Snail, seren nos, Mr Zuvai in Pen C. Aiming to be in the pen by around 5.00am.
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Safe travels everyone, I arrived yesterday and the weather is lovely.  A little cooler than usual but with blue skies.

I am in Pen C and staying in Umhlanga.  Will join the breakfast I think on the Monday, if its not too late.  Agree with Slowduck about the Joe Cools but it has been ok in the past. 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Hotels
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri), Dannirr
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, lowrez, AndyLid
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck, Matt..
    Elangeni & Maharani - Mango-Chillie
    Out at Uhmlanga – Mac3, jkissane, Peter R
    Out at Hillcrest - jonathanmayne

Flights
    Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri13:15), AndyLid
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne(arr.Thu16:25.depMon), Running Rodent, Southern Snail, caashford(arr.Thu16:25.depTue)
    South African - marty74
    BA - Mango-Chillie(Dep.May31), seren nos (arr.Thu.am), Slow Duck, jonathanmayne(dep.Thu.pm), jkissane(dep.Thu.pm)
    Lufthansa – Mac3(Arr.Thu.late morning)

14:30 Thursday International Comrades Ambassadors Shakedown Run start/finish: the courtyard immediately behind the Durban Hilton, distance: 4km to 7km
    Mr Zuvai

17:30 Thursday International Runners Meet and Greet (with Bruce Fordyce and other revered Comrades Greats)
    Venue: Rainbow Terrace, at the Durban Hilton Hotel. Cost: R200 at the door, finger food included, buy your own drinks. Finishes at 20:00
    Mr Zuvai, Slow duck
    07:30 Friday Bus Tour starring the legendary
     Running Rodent, Dannirr, marty74
    08:45 Friday Bus Tour - seren nos+Mr sn, Mr Zuvai, Southern Snail, Mango-Chillie

18:45 Friday Spiga - Mac3+1, Southern Snail+1, seren nos+1, Debra Bourne, caashford, Terry48(+2possibles)

07:30 Saturday Bus Tour – lowrez

08:00 Saturday North Beach
    and Mugg & Bean afterwards
    Debra Bourne, caashford, Southern Snail+Mr SS, Becca7, Matt.., Dannirr, seren nos+Mr sn, Running Rodent, marty74+friend, matt brooker, Terry48, Mr Zuvai, Mango-Chillie, Mac3, Slow Duck, AndyLid+daughter, jkissane

05:30 Sunday Comrades
    PenA - WarrenK78, caashford, Odeon1085
    PenB - Matt.., Mac3, marty74, AndyLid, jkissane
    PenC - becca7, lowrez, Southern Snail, seren nos, Mr Zuvai, Peter R, jonathanmayne
    PenD - Debra Bourne, Mango-Chillie
    PenG - Mango-Chillie, Slow Duck, Running Rodent

09:30 Monday Mugg & Bean Breakfast Bash
    Just turn up from 09:30 onwards; nothing overly formal it’s a café with a wonderful menu with a heap of UKish Comrades runners descending upon it wearing their UK T-Shirts or the Comrades goody bag one or indeed anything they damn well please, group photo around 11:00 then go for a stroll on the beach front; it’ll be good for your legs, even splash your toes in the Indian Ocean. Bruce’s after party or Joe Cools is easily walkable or just hang at Mugg & Bean etc…
    caashford, Debra Bourne, Becca7, lowrez, matt brooker, Slow Duck, Southern Snail, seren nos, Peter R

12:30 Monday Bruce Fordyce After Party
    California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban,
    12:30 till 17:00 R550 per person. A celebratory conclusion of the race relaxing with athletes, family, friends and personalities sharing race highlights trials and tribulations. Live entertainment, buffet lunch, cash bar
    caashford, Mac3

pm Monday Joe Cools (upstairs) 137 O R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban,
    The alternate laid back after party, no entry fee, we are all celebs anyway because we are Comrades runners, venue is on the beach front before you get to California Dreaming if one is dragging one's aching bones down from the Mugg & Bean Breakfast Bash
    jelly bean, Becca7, lowrez
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Update:
    18:45 Friday Spiga - Mac3+1, Southern Snail+1, seren nos+1, Debra Bourne, caashford, Terry48(+2) [11]

Safe travels to all........:-)
  • caashfordcaashford ✭✭✭
    I'm heading to the plane this evening to fly from Birmingham to Dubai, and then onward to Durban on the Thursday 1st June, 10:00 DXB - 16:25 DUR flight, so I will hopefully see most of you at Dubai desk. I will probably be wearing my black BRAT hoodie with Comrades cap hanging of my bag - if you see me come and say hi - although apologies in advance if I am a bit grumpy as I will have just flown all the way through the night;-)

Running Rodent - You and I are both flying in on Emirates and staying in Belaire so I will try and meet you before getting the bus to the suite.

Debra and Terry48 - We are all staying in Belaire Suites and up for Spiga, so taxi at 18:30 from reception on Friday? Might need two will all Terry48's entourage;-)

Joe Kools sounds good for Monday too, and I can come along after the Bruce Foredyce afterparty if not too knackered.
    I have a late flight on Tuesday so will definitely be up for the beers on Monday! "House of Curries" and "Butcher Boys" have also been mentioned for bunny chow and steaks, but i will probably save that for Tuesday lunch!

See you all in Dubai or Durban!
  • jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    > @jonathanmayne said:
    > @jkissane most certainly will look out for you! I'll be with the family, so if you see a middle aged man trying to control an 6 and a 8 year old - you know that's me!
    >

Will do!

That's a great idea btw to go straight to the expo, think I'll take the shuttle bus from the airport to the Hilton on Fri & then stroll to the expo from there. Will figure out how to make it to Umhlanga (where I'm staying afterwards), hopefully there will be taxis in operation.
  • Safe flights everyone!
  • Caashford - I'll look out for you, I think there's a few of us heading to the Belaire. I'll be wearing a Tromsø Midnight Sun marathon jacket.
  • caashford: Terry has a hire car and will very kindly be providing taxi service for me and his +2!

Yes, I'll be on that flight from Dubai. Would have had my Comrades cap but I've lost it somewhere (hopefully mislaid at home) - will try to pin the patch onto me somewhere! My hand luggage is a wheeled backpack, mostly black but with part in a white/dark pink pattern (at least it's recognisable). White parkrun book T-shirt but that might be covered by my multi-pocket vest.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Might see you before Dubai in Birmingham, caashford, same as last year.  Safe travels everyone.  Think I've met a lot of you before but anyway will have a grey hoody with a Comrades 90th patch sewn on.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    safe travels to everyone. Just been for walk along beachfront us beer, lovely!!! For the parkrun will be wearing white officeworx t shirt with paperclips, chairs printed on it together with the patch on the front.
  • Had a few wonderful day at Capetown..out to the comedy club tonight...never been to anything like that before...early flight to morrow  to durbin...