My Last Run

Comments

• Well done, Cal - a great achievement! Finishing in that time, given your injury troubles, is a result to be proud of.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic Cal, and I hope you are very proud of yourself. A great time, so soon after Manchester, when you weren't tip top.  Now rest, then consolidate.
    Me- 7 miles in muddy and humid Epping Forest this morning. Beautiful as ever
  • Atolyestone Father's Day bracelets
  • Well done Cal!

I did the London Vitality 10k today in 1.24.20 (but it was a world record for me!). I'd not gone further than 8 in one go before and I'd hoped to run the whole thing and did mange to 8, then walked a bit then ran the last 1 and a bit. I'd usually have been disappointed at being a wuss but when I did stop I realised it was the right thing to do, I was so hot and my legs went to jelly. After a cool down I was good to go again (well sort of).
    My first half was in 37.65 by my calculation - they've put part of the results up on runpix with the total and speed over the time but not the official split. I was 661st in my group and 93% were ahead of me!

My hip was absolutely fine, of anything the other side was a little twingey, it sometimes comes on late though so I'll see how that goes.

And I've got my first medal!

I must admit I don't particularly like the actual running part, and I don't get the endorphin high but I do like the sense of achievement. If out have any tips on actually liking the running bit do let me know!
  • My first post in this thread, my last run was a brick session yesterday after a 70 mile ride. Run was 3.5 miles in 30 mins.

To introduce myself my A race this year is Ironman UK in July but have a few other running events.

Have a good week all
  • Hi and welcome, Rhodri. Ironman is a challenge and a half, so best of luck!
    LilT, well done on your 10K - that's a great first time effort and time. Are you sure you don't get the runner's high? Sound like you're enjoying yourself and are well motivated, so maybe it's there but camouflaged. I think once your lungs get to a level of fitness where your breathing becomes more natural than effort based, you'll start to enjoy the sessions more. I think that's harder to get than leg power. Keep at it :)
    Glad you're enjoying the forest, Nessie. That's my kind of run venue.
    I popped out for a 3 mile recovery last night, which was like wading through treacle. The long run in the heat on Sunday had taken more out of me than I'd realised. Straight to bed at 9.15pm after that!
    I'm off for a night of luxury with my Welsh Girl tomorrow, so have to squeeze in 5 miles today to hit my target of an 80 mile month.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Back from holidays... ;-)

Some excellent running going on whilst I was away and some bloody spam too.. Grrrr - bugger off..

Hello too to the new faces :-)

Extra well dones to Nessie for her parkrun / 5km PB, cal for getting around Liverpool and LilTortoise for your 10k finish.    

Bad luck on your 10k Kieran but it sounds like you have a good plan for the next weeks.  

Get well soon Matt.

Did several runs whilst I was away in the Bavarian Alps and was active in one way or another almost every day.  (cycling, hiking as alternatives).

Highlight was a nearly four hour 19km jog / walk up, over and back down a local ridge with around 1300m + / -.  The steeper up bits were walked briskly as they were too steep for me to shuffle jog, the remainder was jogged slowly and I enjoyed the whole thing.  
    Was sensible enough to turn around around 10 metres below the highest bump in the ridge as I didn't fancy the traverse on exposed ground on a steep patch of old snow in trail shoes.   

I am now trying to get used to the hot and humid weather and am currently running mostly by effort rather than pace so as not to overheat which I struggle with mentally almost as much as physically.   

Hill race tomorrow evening which I am not really looking forward to but I am already signed up.  It might be a bit cooler though.

Ah to complete my ramblings:
    Last run: 5 and a bit km this lunchtime in the local wood in 33 minutes.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Last run: I set out yesterday morning with a notion to do a circular long run at an easy pace, but didn't quite anticipate how hilly some of the roads would be, nor did I anticipate just how busy one of the seemingly minor class roads would be at 0700 in the morning.

As I'm still in the early stages of training for my first marathon, I'm probably doing too much in terms of single run distance (this 18 miler was preceded by a 23 miler last weekend), but apart from a 3 mile hill followed by a 1 mile steep descent right at the end (which screwed with my legs and toes), it went okay. Set off at 0600 sharp, arrived back at 0905, exactly 18 miles and around 600m total climb.

Really felt a bit crap for the rest of the day, but not as crap as I'd felt after the 23 miles the previous weekend.

This coming weekend I think I'll do two short longs at very easy pace - e.g. 10 miles each.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Tortoise! It's brilliant to earn your first medal - I bet you'll be wanting another now eh?
    Welcome rhodri and well done on your first brick.
    Good luck Hazelnut and good job everyone else.
    I'm still resting after Liverpool. I've had a couple of little walks and I'm not as bad as expected. Stiff and sore but not broken.
  • All this marathon talk has got me thinking about going for one next year.
    Your regime sounds tough, Jtced. Good luck with it.
    I slogged out a 6 miler tonight, which took me through my 80 mile target for the month. This has actually been as rewarding as finishing the events I've done this year. I do like the solitude. A few days' rest now and then I'll aim to push up to 85 miles in June.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great running all. Cal- Yay! Hardcore lady
    Hazel- welcome back!
    Welcome Rhodri- I'm dipping my toe in triathlon. I love OW swimming but not much of a cyclist.
    Tortoise- huge well done! Keep at it and you will love it. Promise!
    Me- yesterday was a track session 5 x 1k at the best pace I've done in a while. Today was OW swimming speed coaching session
  • Awww thank you all.
    I did a gentle 2.7 km last night which felt good for the first km then got a bit more of an effort but I'd been going closer to my faster trot level than my tootle trot speed!
    Will - yep I think I might have to chase another medal! Do you remember Mutley in the cartoon who was always after medals?!
    I think you are right about it being about the cardio vascular stuff more than the legs. I think I just a stubborn/ambitious so and so, I want to hit personal goals! I don't get any high feeling though, almost the opposite, I just want to fall asleep after!

I hope the stiffness is reducing Cal and fab sounding runs happening!
    Yesterday's race:  7.8km with +426 m.  Not the most exciting of courses as 7km are on asphalt but quite testing due to a continuous uphill gradient.  This is however never particularly steep.  It is one of a series of 9 hill races that I take part in.

There were nearly 600 runners in the main race - it is used anually as a selection race for the national junior orienteering teams.

On getting out of the car the thermometer showed 27.5 degrees - not my conditions.  

I found the first 2km tough and even briefly thought about dnf as I started to overheat but I knew my team boss was behind me and I didn't want to let him down.  After about 3km the legs however suddenly woke up and as of 4 I actually started to enjoy it. In cooler conditions I would probably have been faster as the legs were never at their limits.

Could have hugged the "sponge ladies" on the drinks station at 4.4km - didn't bother to drink anything but the wet sponge was very welcome as was the sprinkler.

Got a new course PW by 10 seconds (46:41) but I am not bothered by that at all.  All 4 attempts so far have been within 1 minute.  

Came 7th of 16 in my age category and 55th woman out of 149 altogether.  

I jogged back down to the start as did many others - didn't fancy being squashed into a bus with a lot of other sweaty overheated people and the views are very nice.  That added on another 5km or so.

Finisher goody:  a bag of the local biscuits - yumm yumm...  (will have to hide those from OH - who is an expert at gobbling up any edible finisher goodies.. :p )
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've never had a runner's high, Tortoise, although I've enjoyed a few runs. Usually the ones where I'm not busting a lung. I love the sense of achievement, though.
    Well done, Hazelnut! Considering you weren't that stoked about the race, it's great you finished with a PB. And enjoy those biccies.
  • Oh gosh I hate being out of breath, there seems to be a lot of discomfort, pain and unpleasantness with running!
    There seems to be endless washing too!
    Nom, biscuits!
  • Hazelnut, that race sounds tough, but an awesome challenge. Nice running.
    No run for me today as have a stinky cold. A chance to read th legs, I suppose.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • *rest the legs :)
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Went out to Malvern yesterday with a mate who said we would cover a few up hill bits, we did 9.5 miles with 2700ft of climbing, not what i had in my mind when i agreed to book a half day to get out and about in the sunshine.

All in all though i cant complain some may even call it character building and it was worth it for the stunning views once we got up onto the hills.
  • Hello all. New to runnersworld. Just thought I would add my fav past time. It was every time before I started to get acid reflux every other day. 

I used to run 5k in less than 13 minutes. Yes I know what the world record is and no one believes me now. But I know it is real. That is also treadmill so maybe debatable. On flat road it would be a round 13 min 30 sec. anyway I took a long time off running. And now it takes me around 18 minutes so got a bit to go before I can average 2min 32 sec per km but I am sure I will get back there. 
  • Bleugh to colds! I was hoping to go to my first park run tomorrow but yesterday morning my back was stiff, and now it's quite sore so getting out of my chair is tricky. I'm wondering if it's the back end of my psoas muscle as it was the other end playing up before.
    I was looking forward to trying a new route out and meeting some more runners :( Saturday morning is usually bootcamp but we've got a week off.

Hey ho! Another week!
    Just want my back to get better quickly and not be something worse - I'm a bit cautious as a very good friend did a triathlon a few years ago and a week or so later developed a disc problem (we assume all related) which has never been right since and she has an awful time still. In fact she is back where she used to live and we are having a meet up tomorrow :) (sorry not run related!).

Have good runs this weekend peeps!
    It was a PW rather than a PB Cal :D But I enjoyed the race which I didn't manage during the last couple at all.  That is better than a PB as I was starting to feel a bit unmotivated. 

Hope your cold gets better soon Will.

Take it easy LilTortoise, you can try next week's instead?

Nice hills rhodri27, would have enjoyed that I think.

16km for me yesterday in 1:28.  Still warm here so a couple of diversions to convenient water supplies on route.  One even has a well positioned mirror - hair check? Standing up in wet spikes and time for a visit to the hairdressers - might cost a few milliseconds otherwise.. :D Long run planned for tomorrow...
  • Maybe although Saturday is usually be bootcamp ( and my subscription for June has already gone out :( ). I was trying to get an osteopath appointment today as walking is now a bit of a challenge. On the plus side I had a nice cream tea with my friend but told her off for laughing at my walking style!
    I feeling I can't do stuff makes me want to do it more! I a lil jealous of the runs. I'm comforting myself wth prosecco instead :p
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Hello all, yesterday was a very easy 6 miles in the forest with a friend and then today a club 5 mile race, also in the forest, on a super hilly route.  Garmin time was about 43.30 which is a fair way off a course best, but I was happy enough with it, enjoyed the beautiful route in spite of the horrid humidity.
  • Oh goodness just realised read my earlier post, just to clarify I wasn't/am not drunk! My typing isn't always very accurate and in deleting the predictive text my iPad chooses end up with some odd sentences missing words etc!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Was that the Forest Five, Nessie? Not easy to achieve a good time with hills and humidity, so well done.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    First run since Liverpool today and I am still feeling the race in my legs. 4 miles in 45 minutes. I don't think I could have gone quicker if I wanted to. Weather was nice though, so I was glad to be out in it.
    Good racing Nessie.

LilTortoise: cheers! ;)

Cal, well done on getting out there.

27km long jog downstream along the river Emme today in 2:38.  Chocolate brown water in a hurry carrying quite a lot of small timber, definitely faster than me. Few people about and long stretches in green tunnels with just the water and birdsong as background music.  Tired at the end but not exhausted. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That sounds nice, Hazelnut.
    As it looked nice out, I did another 4 miles today. Still very slow but not as slow as yesterday and my legs felt a good bit better. So I'm getting there.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Did a duo of a 20Km easy on Saturday early evening, but got talked into doing an 18Km (very) hilly run on Sunday morning, including some 60%+ gradients (which, thankfully, we didn't even attempt to run). Suffice to say, I am a broken man today. Legs aren't too bad, but my toes (from the descent) are very sore and I'm feeling very out-of-sorts. Don't regret doing the second run, but so close to the first one and with the hills, etc., it's clearly thrown me a bit. Rest day today, for sure (made easier due to it raining).
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    (This is what happens when you run with people waaaay better than you - one guy just back from MdS, this was nothing to him. Still, it pushes you on....)