Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

As yes, 'fare', that's another one of SG's words.

This Dominic REED bloke must be pretty good if his surname is in capitals.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Phil's the cleverest geezer on the thread by a country mile, but sometimes you do hold off mentioning the more oddball behaviour we see in races, in case he pops on with a link to their PO10!
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The Bus said:

pedant ;-)

Who was this 'hunk' then?!  You should post his picture and we can take a vote : What term are the young people using these days then Reg? ;-)...

pedant would be my middle name if it wasn't Morris

I assume it is this guy:

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I can see what SG saw in him.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Classic Phil behaviour
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    What does your mum think Reg?! I can see him doing well in a diet coke ad....

SG - after a long-running email barny with the manager about the cost of entry, I was invited to give it a try out a few years back. Ever since, I've just gone up to reception and said "can I go through to the track please". They have always just said "sure" Until today with the new Oberlieutenant on duty....!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Excellent report as ever SG.

As for, 
    Ric - take it easy fella, you've been Hypey McHype of Hype ville recently, excellent you're loving it so much, but you've been piling it up keenly!

If that means take it easy for a while, then I will. 
    Taking advice I consider one of my strong points.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I think he's more SG's type than my Mum's, Bus.

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Simon; there can't be more than a handful of mid 40's aged guys in the UK not happy with a sub 34 10k! Top quality running and no surprise this over-hyped London race is crowded and plagued by people starting way too far forward. 

SG, another good 5k; sub 17 time at BP on Monday? 

Good comeback tri AG and low 18's for the run after blasting it on the bike is an impressive effort. Btw got my Drift Rd section averaging over 20mph now but hard work for me that and needs virtually still conditions like today. 

My reps training was again very similar to yours Bus. Set by and done with a friend so a bit unusual format. Run for 3 mins then 2 mins recovery times 6. Averaged 875 metres so just under 3'30k pace which was ok (flagged a few seconds behind on the last one though). 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Now, now Reginald! 

Anywayze -  Thanks to Philip's stalking, I can see I've raced this chap at parkrun and a couple of other races. 4:0 currently to me on h to h, but as well as being generally handsome and buff looking, he is also improving steadily as a runner and would definitely beat me at PR now. If reading this Mr Reed, please take it in the good spirit it is intended and I apologise on behalf of the thread for any undue offence that publicly taking your name in vain may have caused :-)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Pete - how very dare you interrupt with that running talk! Good reps though.

In a coincidental but unrelated thread on Facebook just now, it seems the word should be "hench". Who'd have thought ?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure hench was long ago superceded by fleek
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hey, I've only just realised that bad means good! Or is it the other way round again now? Hey, cool either way....
    night all!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Dece running Pete.
  • Oh he looks like one of those dull square jaw types that all the women like, probably no personality (if you're reading this, no offence:) Cheers Pete. 

1500 tonight was better than expected. Was racing Steph Twell too which was fun. Decent start, feeling ok. 66 for first lap, bit choppy on 2nd lap but feeling within myself as we went through 800 in 2.14. Tried to push it and get to the kerb  for the 300 to the bell, slightly miffed to see 3.02/3.03. Pushed again up to 200m to go and kept it together quite well although ST came past me with 100 to go.

Ended up in 6th with 4.08.24, my best V40 time and second best ever, makes up for Monday. Really happy with the 65 last lap. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice time SC, 4:08 and you get chicked  :D
  • Yeah - typical. And then she follows it up with a 9.00 3k!! Show off :)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Great 1500 Simon, what a way to put the 10K behind you. Top stuff indeed.

We should all be aware of the word 'hench' due to that awesome Tom Chinnery thread.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Must take a look at that one then Dachs - somehow missed it I think.

That's quick Simon - nicely done indeed!

Slow 7.5 to the station for me this morning.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Simon.
    Cracking race, and a good effort getting it written up at 1am!

On one of those "make it up as you go along" weeks post Tuesday.
    6&4 today, trying to last until Saturday to have a rest day. Last rest day was 2 Fridays ago which is unlike me, big fan of 1 day a week off.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Track last night, and the session was 400s with 150m recovery - start at 10K pace and then try to knock off 2 seconds each lap.  When you can't do it anymore, jog a lap then start again.  Managed 2 sets of 6 each, and was starting my third set when I felt a twinge in my calf on both of the first two reps.  Since this was happening at 10K pace, thought it could only get worse when I tried to go faster and canned the remainder of the session.  No sign of any issues this morning.

More disturbing though is that I have a song from Joseph's Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat stuck in my head.  Why?

Oh, and for Bus, I can't find it myself now.  Think it had something about 'Insane Training Plan' in the title.  He wanted to debut his half marathon under 1:10 and also become 'hench'.

• Fairly quiet week for me so far. Tuesday was the 5k SG did but I had a handicap race at lunchtime and wasn't up for 2 in a day so took the ease of the lunch one rather than the faff of mid-week evening races when you several hours getting there and back etc for a short race. Next on schedule is June 13th at Maidenhead so may turn out for that. 

My kid brother is down this weekend and we are planning a pub hike: odd how 12 run Sunday is an easy run but 12 hiked on Saturday is altogether different. 
  • Cheers All. Yes SG i'm paying for it now, going to be a loooong afternoon. That's why the report was short. Must admit, like a lot of folk who have ST down as a strength runner (xc etc..) she is pretty swift. Sadly she's 'jack of all trades' at the moment..great spread of times, but no qualification times (so says the missus).

Interesting session Dachs - not seen that before, sounds tough though. What Joseph song? still remember them from Junior school..'Do him in while we've got the time' etc etc..

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Fucking Any Dream Will Do.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Incredible song
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Close Every Door is a good one. Just popping in to say that Tom Chinery tragically fell victim to the RW random profile deletion thing that used to happen so the thread (Insane Training Plan: Wise Idea?) and all his posts vanished and we never found out if he got hench.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ah Tom Chicanery.

Forum legend.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

@Scott Pulley (never sure if that actually notifies someone or not on here)

I quite fancy the idea of getting down to Portsmouth/Gosport for a little short distance whirl, and saw there's quite a few potentials.

Including the Gosport mile and 5k, that are far enough apart to be done together (10am v 10.45am).
    I had a look at whether anyone (decent!) had done both last year, and there's your name! 4.48x17.36

Therefore, you're the best man to ask how it went? How much did the mile take off your 5k performance do you reckon? Or were you fairly recovered in 40mins in between? Looks like the end of the 1mile race is where the 5k starts?

Windy course on the prom? I did the half down there twice, and not sure if any of that route was part of the 5k course?

Would make it more memorable doing 2 for the money. But only if it didn't compromise both races!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Simon - superb 1500m.  keep that pace until july and you will be a threat to the v45 podium in denmark.

Dachs - hope that calf niggle passes quickly

after tuesdays absolute disaster session im more positive after a decent session tonight.  4*200 (30,29,29,29), 2*500 (79,79) , 2*300 (43,44), 4*200 (28,29,28,28) off 90 secs and 5m between the sets.