Protein Powder

hi guys, my body really aches after running, my friend says i could probably drink protein drinks after working out, does anybody else ave these and do they seem to help? also what brand? My friend says psn diet whey is best value for money but ive never had any.

help please!

thanks,
Tagged:

Comments

• Don't know anything about protein drinks but it could be that you're just asking too much of your body for your current state of fitness.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I'm not sure protein shakes are the first port of call when analysing what you're describing. With that limited info there could be so many things to look at first from hydration to training paces... 
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    I take a Protein shake after I run, it really helps my body recover, I feel the muscles recover quickly. Eating foods that contain Protein obv do the same job but a shake is just easier for me.
  • > @vodkabob said:
    > I take a Protein shake after I run, it really helps my body recover, I feel the muscles recover quickly. Eating foods that contain Protein obv do the same job but a shake is just easier for me.

this was what i was thinking, what brand of protein do you buy?
  • > @Tommo81 said:
    > Agreed. I'm not sure protein shakes are the first port of call when analysing what you're describing. With that limited info there could be so many things to look at first from hydration to training paces... 

its like anything. an awful lot to take in and so many aspects. suppose its a learning curve
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    We're all an experiment of one JordanWood! :)
  • Try chocolate milk and save yourself some cash!  :)
  • I think protein powders can help, but like others have said there may be other problems. The best use I find is after a long hard run I often don't feel like eating, but I can stomach a shake. As to variety of shake here's a useful article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/guide-protein-shakes-type-buy-use-round-up-best-market/
  • vodkabobvodkabob ✭✭✭
    > @jordenwood said:
    > > @vodkabob said:
    > > I take a Protein shake after I run, it really helps my body recover, I feel the muscles recover quickly. Eating foods that contain Protein obv do the same job but a shake is just easier for me.
    >
    > this was what i was thinking, what brand of protein do you buy?
    >

I just use whey Protein, 200mls of water with 20g of powder. When I'm marathon training and I've done a long run of 15+ then I might have one straight after running then another a few hours later. I'm like Mr Worry, I don't always feel like eating a meal after a run so the shakes work for me.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    It's likely that having some protein after a run will help but I wouldn't get too hung up on what you have or worry if you don't have any sometimes. I'd just try different things and find what you like. My standard post run snack is porridge with peanut butter. I'm pretty sure you're aching post run is not related to any protein deficit. 

If you put more thought into your training plan and overall diet and get them right, I think any difference made by having a protein shake will be negligible.
  • +1 on the milkshake. Easy and cheap to do and a really good Carb to Protein mix for recovery I read somewhere.  I prefer Straaaaaawberry though. Nesquik rocks!
  • Ok I emailed the company that my friend advised to see if protein powder was any good here's what they said -

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for you email.

The good news is yes protein powder will definitely help your muscles recover after a run as it is fast absorbing diet whey formula. We would suggest,

Handful of sweets post run to replenish any glycogen loss during your run, our protein powder to recover the breakdown of muscle tissue during your run and some healthy fats from peanuts to regulate your hormones, as sometimes with intense activity hormone imbalances may occure, also it all makes for a tasty treat.

Anything other advice we can help with we will!

Team PSN

Pretty made up with the advice given, what you guys think?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Whey protein isolate trumps whey protein if you can get it (it will cost more). You'll find it's hard to find a pure version that doesn't have lots of unwanted extras. Read the label and make sure you are happy with all of that. I know I'm not. An easy alternative is to make a smoothie with fresh fruit and veg and throw in hemp seeds or chia seeds which are really good sources of protein. 

As for nut butters, almond and cashew nut butter are my preferred forms. The former as it is higher in protein and the latter as it is lower in sugar and brilliant for healthy hearts. See which suits your taste buds?  

After a run, don't eat nutritionally empty sweets (teeth rot!) and try apple slices or seeded toast with nut butter. What silly advice! 
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/MsE">MsE</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Whey protein isolate trumps whey protein if you can get it (it will cost more). You'll find it's hard to find a pure version that doesn't have lots of unwanted extras. Read the label and make sure you are happy with all of that. I know I'm not. An easy alternative is to make a smoothie with fresh fruit and veg and throw in hemp seeds or chia seeds which are really good sources of protein. 

As for nut butters, almond and cashew nut butter are my preferred forms. The former as it is higher in protein and the latter as it is lower in sugar and brilliant for healthy hearts. See which suits your taste buds?  

After a run, don't eat nutritionally empty sweets (teeth rot!) and try apple slices or seeded toast with nut butter. What silly advice! </div>
    </blockquote>
    Done a little research and turns out a handful of sweets is better for glycogen replenishing then fruit ( fructose) as it says the sugar from fruit is digested at roughly the same rate as white potato so sweets is best post run??   

Either way learning quite a bit here lol. 
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/literatin">literatin</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">You e-mailed the company that makes the product to ask if their product was any good and they said it was? That's surprising.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    Yes but to give them due they have given me more advise on top of that havnt they.   
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    Out of interest JordenWood, what does a typical week of training look like? And how long have you been running? 

I'd be listening to HA77 & Literatin amongst others; they're both awesome runners who are also very smart and well read. I think the problem is that you can find an opinion supporting any view on t'internet (including eating sweets after a run!) that fits with what you want to believe. Especially from marketing spiel.

(As for chocolate milk, several sport science studies advocate it as the right combo of carbs to protein (4:1). I believe Mo drinks it. But then I suppose you've got to balance that with the moral and ethical dilemma of supporting the milk production industry which some feel is legalised animal cruelty.)
  • Tommo81 been running for about 4 months now and typically run about 10 miles twice weekly. 

Been doing some research and think the whole simple sugars and fast acting protein after a run can only help the situation regardless. 
  • Sorry for using this for my own question but I feel like I am going mad! Just joined and have a question to ask but CANNOT see an 'ADD NEW THREAD' BUTTON??? or instructions on how to post:( Thanks for any help! x
  • Sorry for using this for my own question but I feel like I am going mad! Just joined and have a question to ask but CANNOT see an 'ADD NEW THREAD' BUTTON??? or instructions on how to post:( Thanks for any help! x
    Zoe, I think you have to post comments, on other threads before you can start your own thread. Not sure how many but maybe about 10?
  • Tommo81 been running for about 4 months now and typically run about 10 miles twice weekly. 

Been doing some research and think the whole simple sugars and fast acting protein after a run can only help the situation regardless. 
    This may be the other reason you suffer from muscle ache following your runs.  Might be worth doing 3 or 4 shorter runs per week for a couple of weeks which would be less stressful on your body and give your muscles greater opportunity to adapt.
  • Tommo81Tommo81 ✭✭✭
    I think there's a few things here:

1) having some protein after a run is generally accepted as a good thing;
    2) protein supplementation for runners - developed by sports nutritionists - is really geared towards people doing much higher mileage (or intensity) than 20 miles per week. (See Steve Way.) Athletes use fast-absorbing whey so they can better prepare for the next session (they are training daily and sometimes twice a day - again see Steve Way's training schedule).
    3) As Trogs, Mr. Worry and HA77 amongst others have said "I'm pretty sure you're aching post run is not related to any protein deficit." Your training would appear to confirm this. I would follow Trogs's advice and break your training down. You could split 20 miles into something like this: a 1x 7 mile long run (easy pace = conversational pace), 1x 4 mile easy pace, 1x 5 mile faster session (intervals or lactate threshold - 1 mile warm up > 3 mile session > 1 mile warm down), 1x 4m easy pace.

At the end of the day it is your wallet, taste buds & stomach! But whatever you decide to do - good luck!
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Is it me or is Jordanwood about to announce that he's part of a sales department of a protein company ? And about to try and start pushing his wares on here ?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Any time spent worrying about protein shakes would be far better spent reading and learning about general nutrition and principles of training. Everyone is telling you the same thing, yet you still want to spend time reading marketing thinly disguised as research. 

I like this article from Steve Magness. Too much focus on the 1% to the neglect of the 99%.
    http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2016/12/forget-the-gadgets-and-hacks-nail-the-basics.html

As the article suggests, if you want to run faster:
    - Train more and smarter
    - Get plenty of sleep
    - Eat proper food

Anything else will make no difference at your level.
  • I think you can live anf feel good without protein shakes. Only if you can't give your body enouth pprotein you could try it. For now try sleep for 8 hours a day, eat healthy and do examination :)
  • Mmmm Milk shake after longer runs.  Never bothered with protein shakey stuff though. Save that for the gym boys clutching their shakes after their 3 minute runs.
  • Pharmascience Health Gainer for contains calories in bulk and Weight Gain
    A Health Gainer is a Pharma science - the Indian Ayurveda product. It is basically a weight work additive product which generally comes in a powder form which contains calories in bulk. It is full of proteins, fats and carbohydrates which gives your body an ultimate improvement and a muscular growth.
    For more visit
    [url=http://www.ipharmascience.com/] Health Gainer [/url]
  • Nom nom nom. 

I'm sticking with milkshake though. 
  • I used to drink a lot of protein shakes but since have monitiored what goes into my food after a run and make sure its equal to ammount of protein i take tc
  • I had aches and pains after running and took protein powder and it did help but i noticed i started to gain weight so stopped.

The problems stayed away which made me wonder whether the shakes helped me get over that pain or whether I just convinced myself it was helping!