Running technique - Arms

Hi Folks,

How should your arms swing in your running stride? It occurred to me that it you put your arms parallel to the ground there is more chance of swinging them too much which can induce unnecessary twisting of the torso, hips, etc putting the strain on the legs and resulting in injury to the foot and leg.

What are your thoughts? Do you think my theory holds water? What are your techniques?

Thanks.

Comments

• This is mine:
    Image result for usain bolt
    Lip to Hip is the memonic.  In an ideal world your arms would go forward and backwards rather than side to side so twisting of the torso is minimal.  However, most of us are weak and inflexible so some twisting invariably comes in and, as you say, potentially results in injury, and certainly inefficiency.  Better to try to improved upper body strength and flexibility rather than limit swing.
  • I was horrified to see in post-race pics where others had pointed out "interesting running stride" that my arms were going across the front of my torso. When I changed to the straight forward and back (lip to hip is a great way of putting it!) I found my pace quickened and I felt less effort overall.
  • DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

I can't thank you guys enough, not only have you helped me solve a problem by highlighting your own experiences, the 'lip to hip' mnemonic is a great one.

Have a great season and I hope you all stay injury free.

• Hello DMax .Arms and Legs movement plays major roll to improve your speed. So I would like to suggest you to use sporting goods likeArm String Trainer (for arms) and stride Trainer(for legs) to balance your arms and legs plus it will keep your body in proper formation which is required for Running.