Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Glad to hear the recovery is on track MsE!  :)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - Indeed! You're managing to get some nice sessions before you head off.

MsE - It was exquisite here too today. 26.5c and almost no wind. Perfect training weather. You're so dedicated to recovery it's wonderful to hear. When you do eventually come back to it you will be strong and I bet it won't take you long to find your running legs. Re the race on Sunday. I had intended to go very easy up the hill and most of the runners that passed me were much lighter and maybe more suited to uphill running,  I overtook most of them about a mile later but got overtaken again a few miles later, so you may be right. I had to test myself but I think I should have done some more hill training for sure. My legs were trashed on Monday and still on Tuesday, like never before, even after a marathon so yes, more hill running and downhill too would help. 

Jools - I really enjoy reading your blog. The speed is coming back very quickly. Have you got any summer races lined up? The Island Games are coming up soon, so all the quick ladies were absent on Sunday. 1st, 2nd and 3rd all ran 1:35 and 1 & 2 were within 3 seconds of each other. Someone of your calibre would win this race by a comfortable margin. 

SJ - Nice to hear from you. You seem to have a fair bit on the go tri and biking wise and you perform well when you have to run, even if you can't train. Do you miss running training at all or are you happier swimming and biking? Lots of my friends have taken up triathlon and tbh most of the really decent runners here are now more tri focused. It kinda makes sense given the Island lifestyle and the limiting factor of not too many road races or at least different ones. The Tri club is uber slick and they're a very friendly bunch. I may do one next year. 

Today's weather was exquisite. 26.5c, I shot out of the office on an early lunch break and ran 4 miles along the promenade. It was lovely and warm, not a stinging heat given the temps but quite humid. I did a progressive run to see how the legs were and they felt much better today. Splits were 7:50/7:01/6:34 and 6:28. I was gutted I didn't bring my towel though as the sea looked magnificent turquoise. It's meant to get up to 30c by Sunday and early next week, so I'll be doing some coasteering and kayaking with my son. Can't wait! 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Slokey- great stuff and Ironman is impressive with no running ! Use it or lose it with the GFA so why not .
    MSE enjoy the pool sprints and you are probably right about the raced miles , I can smash out a pb half and get back at it but not a mara it seems,rest day yesterday 3 mile walked.Need some of Badbark's teflon coated toughness .
    Gerard enjoy the heat and kayaking .
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - great pyramid session.
    SJ - good to hear how you're getting on.
    MsE - pool running is very quick? I must have been doing something seriously wrong when I tried it! Yes, Miss GD is in Kansas City for her cousin's wedding and she is a bridesmaid.
    GM - good lunchtime run in the heat. Enjoy the kayaking with your son.
    Another 8 miles this morning, with 4 miles around MP (avg 7:16), turned out to be a gentle progressive run. No work today, so I can start packing etc... Setting off very early tomorrow morning.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's tough GM. The good news is that you were on track most of the way, just lacked something over those last 2 miles which I'm sure is where you will focus.

I did my first post Op race last night. A 6 miler run in just under 38 mins. I died a bit over the last 2 but average pace was 6:18. On balance I'm quite happy and 3rd V50 in a quality field. Legs feel absolutely fine today which is a good sign. Just lacking a bit of race sharpness I hope.

Have a great trip Gul.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

This is just a flying visit to let you know I ran another marathon today. It was just a low key friendly marathon, organised by the East Antrim Marathon Series. I was happy to finish first in 3:01:01, with a comfortable 143 average HR. I ran at sub 3 pace throughout, averaging 6:50 but my Garmin measured the course 26.47 miles. No big deal as it was just a training session and I had plenty left in the tank. :)

• PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    madbark, sounds like you are going to be in good form for the ultra.  Just 15 days out now, any plans for a taper?

I see you are the poster boy for the event

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Well spotted PMJ! The guy beside me is Peter Cromie, who is my pick for the open race. He recently finished joint first in a last one standing event, running 147 miles. He can also run HM's in 1:15.

I’ll be taking it easy for 5 days before the race as I’m running a marathon 6 days before. Tapering is over rated. :smiley:   

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    GUL nice bit of mara pace 
    0054 sub 40 10k comeback not too shabby.
    Badbark nice  low heart rate there what is your mara pb heartrate ? 147 mile is a bit serious !!!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    GM I miss the run training massively. Losing it has felt like losing a part of me but it's just too uncomfortable. Think of the bike and swim activities as exercise methadone..... 
    But tri IS great fun - I'd highly recommend it and don't know anybody who hasn't loved it after doing one.

Nice one BB!! Your trophy cabinet must be creaking!

Have a great trip Gul!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SJ - Ah man, that's tough. You have certainly applied yourself to the bike and swim and although, it's not quite the same as running, you're doing a great job at it. Reminds me of a good friend of mine here, he was a track runner and did some road stuff as well, but he had hip issues that curtailed his running and he threw lots of cash at trying to get it sorted and had a serious hip op in 2012 but it was unsuccessful and he had to retire from running that year. He grew up in Keswick and was crazy about running but like you, he put his energy into other things and now he rides an EliptiGO bike. Have you seen those? He has gone full throttle into it and has competed at the World Champs and done serious ultra distances on it (+1,000km's) and he said it's the closest thing to running without the impact. He can barely run a mile without feeling acute pain but he has completed 72hr events with a 90% moving time ratio on the GO. That's insane when you think about it. Unlike you he's not a swimmer though. Re the Tri, I've entered in this year's main Olympic event but I'm just doing the running leg as part of a relay team. I might attempt the whole shebang next year. It's a great event. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Wow it's hot out there today!
    Ran to 2.5 miles to parkrun and was sweating buckets.
    Yet again, I can't seem to break 20 mins on that confounded course!
    20.03 today. 13th out of 312 and 3rd in age group.
    Ran just over 5 miles on the way home to bag a vey warm 10 mile morning.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - very close to sub 20. Was that a parkrun pb? I did ours today and it's cooking here too. I ran with a friend who was hoping to break 21 but she did 21:11. I was glad I wasn't racing it. A few more speed sessions and you'll crack it. 
  • Have been reading but for some reason not found the time to post this week.

Sounds as though it was tough going in the HM GM, but you still comfortably managed a sub-1:30. You're definitely capable of going faster if things fall into place on the day and the bees stay away. Given the weather we've been having recently I'm very envious of the opportunity to have a dip right after a run!

Good to hear that the recovery is going well MsE - any target races at this stage?

Congrats to pin-up boy Madbark - a low effort 3:01 is impressive.

Also impressive is OO's comeback run - not surprising you're happy with that.

G-Dawg - so close!!! Were you at Woking? If you're going to be doing it next week, let me know and I might be able to come and join you.

I haven't really taken it that easy after last weekend's Ultra.

Rest day Sunday and 5 mile (was aiming for about 3 but got lost taking a new route less than a mile from our house!) recovery run on Monday were followed on Tuesday by the annual bench-to-bench Club run, a hilly 11 mile trail run up to Leith Hill in memory of a club member who died a few years back. Very enjoyable and I definitely deserved the pint of cider after it!

Rest on Wednesday but then the Club track session (3x800m, 2x200m, 3x800m) on Thursday evening and an easy run on Friday.

Them yesterday I competed in the Southern Athletics League just to remind myself how poor (relatively) I am at track events. Sweltering hot conditions on the track at Tooting - not too bad for the 800m but tough for the 5000m which turned out to be the first track event I've ever competed in where they were handing out water on every lap as the thermometer edged towards 30 degrees in the shade - I haven't got the official time but I think I was around 19:57, so a bit outside my PB but not too bad given the heat and the boredom of running 12 and a half laps of the track.

Rounded off the week with an hour and a half on the bike this morning, although the enjoyment was a bit spoiled by the gear shifter malfunctioning (again!)

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Leslie – My average HR in London (2:49) was 145 and in 147 in Newry (2:52). My max HR is about 175.

GM – You’ve piqued my interest with that ElipiGO bike. Have you ever ridden one?

GD – Unlucky missing the sub 20 Parkrun attempt. If it had been a bit cooler you’d have got it.

Lorenzo – That’s a good training week after your ultra. Madbark approves!

After the marathon on Thursday I took a rest day from running. Although, I did do a heavy weight session that caused a lot more DOMS than running! I ran 10 miles on Saturday including a 19:34 Parkrun.

Today I did another 10 miles adding in some walks. I ran 5 miles then alternated 0.25 walking and 0.25 running for the next 3 miles. I finished with running 2 miles home. I’m going to add walks into most of my runs over the next fortnight, to work the walking muscles. I also want to get used to changing from walking to running before the 24 hour race.

I’m changing to a low carb/high fat diet for the next 10 days before carbo loading. I’ve had success with this in the past and enjoy the diet shake up. This is a good article about it here - http://eat2run.com/2015/03/20/fat-loading-for-race-performance-part-3/

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What a lovely weekend it's been!

I did sneak under 20 at the parkrun but 19:43 is no progress since last week. 14.5 today brings up 46 for the week, so pretty much back to normal training.

Don't like the sound of that track race Lorenzo!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OO bet it's good to be back
    BB nice pic, you are still deranged though 
    Lorenzo - good performance so soon after the ultra - is an autumn mara on the cards?
    GM - I got talking to a bloke at Heathrow who said he was a coach for the St Helena team in the Island Games.  The athletes have to sail from St Helena to Cape Town (5 days), then fly to Europe and eventually to Gotland in the middle of the Baltic. He says they are sometimes away for months on end due to travel issues.  They must be very very dedicated (or very bored at home).
    MsE - keep recovering, you will be back even stronger

Anyway, a hectic week is over; 150km sportive last Sunday then 300km in Sweden starting Friday night and continuing into Saturday afternoon.  It turns out that (a) 300km is quite a long way, and (b) the Swedish for chamois cream is "rumpsalva" - what a great word. Report later.  The legs feel fine, so much less damage than if one had knocked out 2 long foot races in a week.  Slokey - the headline is: great event, get yourself over there.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

OO - Solid parkrun and weekly mileage

Poacher - Fantastic bike mileage! I look forward to the report.

I had no DOMS after a 3 hour marathon on Thursday. However,1 ½ miles of power walking within yesterday’s 10 miler has me limping in discomfort Doing a bit of work with my walking muscles is a wise decision. :)

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - An ex work colleague of mine went out to St Helena a few years ago to take up the post of Attorney General. It's literally in the middle of nowhere. The IG's are great fun and there are some good athletes that compete and also it gives the part timers with a bit of talent a chance to compete for their Islands. Many of my friends have done so. Well done on your Ultra cycles! Have you heard of Paris Brest Paris? Bet you'll be doing that soon!

Badbark - I haven't been on the GO. It looks very strange and I would say it could take quite a bit of getting used. My friend is obsessed with the thing now and there are a group of them who travel all over the place to compete, he recently competed in the World Championship which was in the US and he acquitted himself quite well. There are also a growing number of elite endurance runners using the GO to add to their high mileage.

Lorenzo - Sounds like a tough track meet. I've not raced a 5,000 before but have done some in training. That heat would be a killer though.

OO - Back to normal already, it seems so quick after your op. You'll be flying again in no time.

Did 50 mins in 28c heat yesterday. Loved it! It's in the 30's this week, there will be lots of swimming me thinks and a bit of running too.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

OK so it's a running thread but plenty of cyclists around so here goes…

It started as an invite to a university reunion with a couple of people I'd been great friends with in the early 80s. The format was to be a bike ride. I said OK and a week later was “surprised” to find out that I had been entered for Europe’s biggest sportive, the Vatternrundan which is 300km/185m round a big lake in Sweden. Not having owned or ridden a road bike for 30yrs seemed an impediment so I bought one last autumn. This was soon destroyed in a car crash; the insurance and injury compensation payouts paid for a better replacement machine. Training was thin at the start of the year, and partly on a static bike thing in the sweaty gym from hell. Proper training started in March and comprised 1100m over 3 months. The longest ride reached 100m which was good for morale. There was obviously a lot to learn about cycling e.g. how to corner, draft, descend, ride in a group etc etc and stay safe.

The rest of the crew comprised an anaesthetist, an A&E surgeon and a lawyer so I figured that if I was hit again they could put me to sleep, sew me back together and sue the culprit.  We met up for the first time just over a week ago and tackled the Dragon Ride in South Wales which was 95m with loads of big hills and a vicious wind.  Very tough, but a good way to HTFU.

There was no recovery time as last Thursday it was off to Stockholm and then to Motala on Lake Vattern.  Running a cycling event with up to 20,000 riders must be enormously complex; small groups start every few minutes from about 6pm on the Friday through to maybe 5am the next day.  Just keeping feeding stations open that long must involve a huge army of volunteers.  Our start time was 1138pm; it was strange to go to number pickup, then go to bed, then set out for the start at 1030.  I was concerned about coming a cropper in the dark but in fact the field was very spread out so it wasn’t a problem.  Two of the team went ahead to gun for a time, leaving the surgeon and I to go conservatively with the sole aim of finishing in under 15hrs.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Howdy folks! Flying visit to say all's well in the US of A. Just about cool enough for short runs early in the morning, but 35 or warmer by the afternoon! Did 3 miles yesterday and 5 today with a few zatopek intervals. Off to meet the groom's family today and help sort out the reception venue. Wedding tomorrow. Catch up soon when I get a chance so long as I don't nod off!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

It gets light very early that far north so by 2.30 conditions became easier. Swedish roads are beautifully maintained with almost no bumps or potholes.  A lot of the route was through forests and fields, with views over the lake which is more like an inland sea.  After 110km we were at the southern end of the lake and turned north to ride up the far side. This was windier and less flat. After about 130km the body clock was running out of tick and I fell asleep for a split second, waking up in time to stay out of a ditch.  The biggest problem was chain gangs of very fast riders passing very close and it some cases a bit over-aggressively.

Feeding stations: mainly cinnamon buns, pickled gherkins and “blueberry soup”. Hmm.  There were also 2 main food stops with lasagne, or meatballs and mashed potato.

Somehow hours passed and with 250km done, it was time to turn back south to the finish. I was feeling a bit tired by now and climbing became a chore.  With 20km to go it was very hot and the first signs of light headedness appeared. However we held it together and accelerated over the last section to overtake a few strugglers.  Finally back into Motala, job done, 300km with 1400m of ascent in 13hrs 36 minutes.  Average speed while riding was a mediocre 16mph and drink/food stops brought that down to nearer 13mph.  Frankly I had been terrified of the distance and was delighted just to finish. I even went for a little run afterwards.  This was a really well organised event with very good atmosphere, highly recommended to all.  TBH I am a really c*ap cyclist and can still barely corner, descend etc, so if I can make it round then anyone can.  And a good way to maintain fitness without running.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Not loving the heat... 52 miles last week including a cotswold way relay recce. Net downhill and my quads are sore today.

Trying to get my head around 300km of cycling and failing. That's a long way! Chapeau.

I remember they wanted family lawyers for St Helena a few years back - child abuse enquiry, I think. The travel put me off!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    This is what happened later that evening  B)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    that pic looks like my weekend activity, Poacher , but without the exercise !

plentiful Kudos for the effort, and a splendid report too  . . .

(a couple of my Saturday morning pals are drifting to multi sport (cycling, tri) and hence not running as much) 

not tempted myself, although getting frustrated now with my annoyingly persistent glute issue - 10 miles in 2 runs last week , blank week prior, 18 before that - after each one no apparent reaction, but tried run after couple of days off and still almost immediate tightness. Resting, stretching, not stretching, foam rolling, golf ball sitting, heat treatment  - nowt seems to work.  can feel the "unfitness" growing  . . . .
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo a bit hot for a 5k ,sure the water was appreciated but a water shower would have been better !
    Badbark your hr seems low for pb effort just comparing to mine but I guess it is what it is ,years of ultra  distance running and the body adapts and maybe a heart the size of a football ! 
    Poacher great report on a very long cycle,a 16 mph average sounds very decent to me ,you certainly earned those beers .
    Birch I will raise your 10m with 6m over 2 runs last week , can feel the timber piling on too ,had a 5m run today to stop the rot , felt a struggle but need to get going again.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Sacked off the idea of a run on lunch today. 30c, so just lay on the beach and had a sea swim instead. Went out after work and it was still 29c. Did 10k in 45 mins and must have lost a couple of kilos/litres in sweat alone. It's meant to be even hotter the next few days so I think I'll do the same again on lunch until it cools down a bit. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - That sounded Epic! One of my best pals has just bought a property in North Sweden (it's a bit of a project) and we're planning a friends get together up there next year sometime when it's finished.

Gul - As you will have seen it's pretty much like Kansas weather over in Blighty at the mo. Hope it all goes well over there and you manage to get a few runs in.

Birch - Can you get out on a bike, just for the sake of fitness? Must be very frustrating.

Leslie - Nothing wrong with a bit of down time after a raced marathon, you'll be back to the daily grind soon.

Out for an early 10k this morning with a friend. I took me ages to get going and it was one of those runs where you think to yourself "why I am doing this"? I really didn't enjoy it but after about 4 miles when we sped up a bit, I felt a bit better but in the back of my mind I was thinking almost all the time, are we there yet?! I'll have to give it another go in the morning and see if it feels any easier.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Poacher - you absolute nut job. I love how you went from zero to zillions of miles in a week.  Huge congrats on an amazing achievement with a bike accident to recover from and enforced training on a gym bike.  Kudos. 

Gul - hope the wedding goes smoothly.  I wonder if weddings in the US are very different in emphasis from the UK?  The last wedding we attended was in HK when my BiL married a local Chinese girl.  Now I grew up in HK albeit with an expat lifestyle as my dad was English.  However, I was not prepared for the weirdness of the wedding which was less ceremony and more photo shoot!  It was all staged from start to end without any flow whatsoever.  

Leslie - more down time is not such a bad thing.  Gives your glass knee time to recover.

Birch - ever tried pool running?  It does replicate the muscle action with plenty of water supporting so you can keep ticking over.  Here is a link to some workouts: http://kemibe.com/distancecoach/labreports/9wkH2O.htm

Gerard - Unless you regularly run in hot weather, 30 degrees is too hot to run with any objective other than to not collapse from overheating.  Enjoy the swimming for now.

Lots more pool running here.  Most days I pool run, do some yoga and pilates.  And have resumed walking the dogs to start loading again.  Well, one dog at a time for now (building up as I am).  The yoga feels easier each day as my stability kicks back in. I can start to feel the effect of the pool running sessions as I get used to the tempo style effort intervals.  Have also started to eat a bit more sensibly too as MrE started his 16 week schedule for a HM so am trying to help him get into good habits.  He has run one HM in 2:11 and wants to get under 2 hours.  His biggest challenge will be to maintain progress for that amount of time.  

Stay cool folks.  And keep on keeping on. Any kind of movement is good, cycling, walking, swimming.  It is easy enough to move back into running when your body tells you it is ready again. Just don't grind to a halt and stuff your face.  That makes it harder to get back to running.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    (says she, speaking from experience, patting belly)  :#