Atrial Flutter...What Next?

Comments

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Redjeep..Good to hear from you again; wondered where everyone had gone. Glad that you now feel you've got it all behind you. Hope so. And now another test of patience until you can start getting back to some sort of running. A multi-day cycle tour sounds great. Have never felt inclined to spend more time than necessary in the saddle, but I hear that it does eventually get easier.

My own running is still going well, but the stopwatch is a bit discouraging at the moment. Yesterday's parkrun was supposed to see me back in sub-25 minute territory again, instead of which I clocked 25:32; (12 seconds slower than four weeks ago!) And the Poole 10k, three weeks ago, took me 54:04, when I was hopeful of going sub-53. I obviously need to take the training more seriously....or come to terms with the inevitable. But I've got the same attitude as another marathon runner that I was running alongside a couple of years ago. He said,'I'm not an athlete, but I am stubborn!'        But every day is a good day.

Keep us posted on your recovery. Would also be good to hear back from others who are still on the mend.

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

Thanks MrM2. Don't get too discouraged by the times. At the moment I'd give my right leg for a sub 25min 5 km.

30 minutes on the turbo today. First time in weeks, but it felt like I'd never cycled in my life.

I also got approval today for my cycling adventure and have decided on London to Paris so have started to book travel.

• Hi Guys

Sorry to have been quiet for so long but its time now for an update from me. I had my ablation on March 23 and saw the cardio a week or so ago for a three month check. I have increasingly better since the op and am back running and orienteering. My fitness levels are not there yet but I can run without getting out of breath although the pace is not much to write home about. I jogged around a park run a week or so ago in 29.10 and felt fine and made sure I finished in good shape. So it's now a question of how much and how intense I want to train.

The feedback from the cardio is that I have residual sinus bradycardia as my pulse even after the op is c.48. There is also a question over a mitral valve leak which may have  quietened down after the op or maybe not. So I will get another echocardiogram in a couple of months. But for the moment, I'm trying to get to a level of running which is enjoyable.

Hope you are all ok.

Cheers

Howard

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Howard, Good to have your up-date. Yes, it has been quiet on here. Not sure if that is good news? But your news is encouraging; back running and orienteering, and running without getting out of breath. Take it steady and I'm sure you'll see your fitness levels returning.

I've not decided which marathon(s) to run this year. There are a few in Europe that I fancy (Basel, Budapest, Lake Garda, Palma) but I might have to settle for something nearer home like New Forest. Meanwhile, like last year, I have a double focus; working on 'speed' on the shorter distances, and extending my longer runs. My 1600m track run last week took 7:36, and Saturday's Parkrun took 25:31. (Want to improve both of those.) I got out at 5 a.m. on Sunday and ran 17'. This week will be easier; starting with an easy 10' tomorrow morning, before it gets too hot.

Are you using a heart-rate monitor during your runs? After my ablation I was very keen to see how settled my pulse would be with different distances and paces. Now, even though I wear the monitor, I only check the readings at the end.

All the best, Howard. Keep us posted.

• Hi Guys, I've been waiting for the official report of my most recent echo/gram done at the end of July but it hasn't arrived yet. So here is the unofficial info gleaned from the radiographer. My MR (mitral valve regurgitation) did not look so bad to her that it will require an intervention. Her feeling was that the cardio would go for annual monitoring. If it turns out like that, that would suit me well. I'm feeling ok, my heart is back in normal sinus rhythm and apart from missing beats (particularly in the morning on waking), my HR is a steady 44-48 bpm.

I'm running a bit more now and doing some mini interval work on the treadmill in the gym as well as some steady stuff outdoors. My recent parkrun was 27.32 which is acceptable for now and is something to work on. Generally I am enjoying running again and am not phased by getting out for an hour or more. Now I'm hoping to take advantage of what remains of the summer to get fit again.

To answer Michael's question re using a HRM, the answer is yes, and it is interesting to see now that my heart settles at a rate and on even terrain hardly deviates (ave c.128-134). During my recent park run I had a max of 154 and an average of 142.

I hope all of you are well.

Cheers

Howard

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Howard, good to have your up-date, and to know that you are able to do a range of running activities. You must be pleased to have the heart rate steady again, and getting sensible readings during your runs.

I've never got into treadmill running, but I'm closer to the seafront than the gym. Takes me three minutes to run down to the beach, but the gym is 2.5 miles away. Anyway, I prefer to be outside, but the weather can be a challenge along the coast.

Preparing for an autumn marathon, but not sure where. We have a few 'home' complications at the moment, which means that I'm probably looking for something in UK rather than elsewhere. Last Sunday I got out early to run my first 20' training run this year (10' @ 10m/m and 10' @ 9m/m) I was quite pleased with that, and wanted to do a half marathon distance this week, to see if I could maintain the higher pace for a longer run. Would have liked to have had a couple more days, but looking at the weather forecast it looked like today was the best choice. So, out at 5:30 this morning, I ran the 13.1 at a steady 9m/m for 10' and then felt comfortable to run the last three in 8:52, 8:42 and 8:31. (01:56:43 total time. About 8:55 pace)

So, I'm really happy with the continued benefits from my catheter ablation, and wish you well as you enjoy better health. Keep us posted.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Yesterday marked two years since my catheter ablation, to correct atrial flutter. Thought that I'd write a short note for any who followed this thread previously, and for anyone facing a similar procedure.

In a nutshell...totally successful outcome; don't seem to have missed a beat.

Still able to keep around the 70% age-grading on results from 5k to marathon. Best 5k this year was two weeks ago (24:57...72.48% A.G.). Marathon in September (New Forest... treated as a training run...4:17) and Dresden a week ago, with a time of 4:11. This gave 69% A.G., but was aiming for 70+. So still some work to do.

Looking forward to autumn and winter training. Hoping to run a 10k on Boxing Day, and some more marathons in 2017.

Would be good to catch up with any who have contributed previously; those who have had heart issues.    Happy Days. Enjoy your running.

• Michael, thank you for your update. It is very helpful to have your experiences as an example of the progress possible if we are prepared to put the work in. Since I last wrote, I have done quite a lot of orienteering events and several park runs, but only a few longer runs. The fitness is coming back and I can definitely feel the benefit of the ablation now. Last Saturday I ran a modest PB at my local park run of 26.52, still some way to go but it's a sign. I have also noticed that my running improves if I can get a longer run in of at least an hour every week. That was always a cornerstone of my training when I ran seriously, but it's interesting to get this confirmation again even when I am much older.

I get to the gym at least once a week for a long weights and cardio workout, which I find very helpful. There are clear improvements in my fitness as measured by my increasing capacity to handle faster pace on the treadmill.

Healthwise there are still one or two unpleasant sides. If I don't get out to exercise and do some 'work' on my fitness, I have experience dizziness and nausea. It's intermittent, but consistently emerges when I am inactive, and something to check out with the doctor.

You asked a HRMs etc. I have recently bought a Garmin 235 which measures HR via the wrist. I find it very good and also highly motivating, and a clear improvement on my old Garmin Forerunner 305. According to the readings I am getting, it looks as if my bradychardia is also improving slowly as my resting pulse has moved up from 41/42 to 45/46. This may be as a result of the time it takes for the heart to remodel itself after an ablation. The cardiologist made me aware of this phenomenon when I last saw him, namely that the heart takes 6 months plus to remodel itself and accommodate the ablation completely.

Looking forward to your posts and those from the other guys who have the ablation recently.

Best wishes

Howard

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Howard.   Good to catch up with you. Glad to hear that you are still pecking away, and seeing signs of progress, despite some difficulties.

I have rarely used the gym, but increasingly feel that I'm missing out on some of the benefits, particularly upper body and core strengthening. Will reconsider membership.

I'm continuing to run on alternate days, as a rule, and still do a mix of sessions. Yesterday I ran with one of my sons, and we did an undulating 6' in 54 mins... He normally uses the treadmill for distances between 5k and 10k, and found that he had some unusual aches today. We plan to run tomorrow, and again at Parkrun, on Saturday, where we will be joined by one of my daughters. Should be fun.

Keep up the good work. Enjoy your running. Michael

• Hi everyone. Good to see some life back in this thread and the progress people are making.

I've just been posting in Clubhouse asking for advice on alternatives to marathons as I felt a little down last weekend after all my friends ran the local marathon and I really missed the buzz. I also saw my surgeon again a few weeks back for a check up and he gave me a full bill of health, with the dire warning never to do any more marathons again. Ever.

He told me I can do HM's or Olympic distance Tris, but I'm feeling a bit 'bleh' about them.

I have been building up my fitness again and am trying to do either a 6 mile slowish run each evening or 60 minutes on the turbo (which is becoming quite strenuous).

I still find that I'm short of confidence every time I run, doubting that I'll be up for the full 6 miles, but have never not done it and have extended it to 7 or 8 a few times, so am hoping that will pass. I am however, currently off the road with a bad case of man flu.

I am still trying to find something to fill my marathon shaped void, but can't really think of anything. In a way I'm starting to think that I can't really call myself a runner any more if I don't do marathons.

I can really see myself moving back towards cycling and line up a few sportives next year. Since my last post I've done a London to Paris solo cycle, which I loved, and which I planned when I was confined to bed for 24 hours after my operation, literally unable to move.

This thread is giving me encouragement that I'll get my fitness back to where it was, except for the marathons. 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Redjeep!   Thanks for dropping in. I had noticed that you had opened a new thread, looking for some alternatives to the marathon. I didn't want to respond, as it would look like rubbing salt into sore wounds. But glad that you've posted here!

It's great that you can still consider some serious bike rides, and that you can build up to the half marathon. But I know what you mean about nothing really being able to take the place of the marathon.

Easy for me to say, but try to stay positive, and enjoy every new day. Every day is a good day, and at my age every day is a bonus. I would hope that in a similar position to yours I would be able to concentrate on the things that I could do, and not dwell too much on what I can't do...even if I could do them in the past. I guess that every run involves a bit of that, these days.

My parkrun this morning was a minute slower than I managed a few weeks ago. And I tried every bit as hard! But realistically, the times are only going in one direction now. But it was good to run 'with' two of my children this morning; my son was happy with his first parkrun (23 minutes) and my daughter was pleased with a new p.b.(less than 25 minutes).They are both in their 30s. So I am already finding new ways of enjoying my running. But it's never going to be like the good old days.

Keep in touch, Redjeep, and let us know what you're getting up to.   Michael.

• Thanks Michael. 

As the other thread developed I realized that I was probably whining a bit and should really just be grateful for being able to do what I can. Not because of anything anybody said, just as I looked at myself more.

I'm thinking about trying kayaking and may go back to sailing if I get an opportunity. The only problem is that I live a long way from the sea and none of the local sailing clubs sail the types of boats that I'd be interested in.

I also plan to continue with the HM's and cycling.

It's nice to run with your kids, I occasionally get to do it with one of mine. I'm lucky that I can still beat him over any distance greater than 5k, but don't reckon it'll go on for much longer like this. image (he's 24, I'm 52). 

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭

Redjeep.   Good to see you looking a bit more positive! Half marathons would be my next distance, if I couldn't continue with 26'. Recovery time is so much shorter, and i.m.o. the training is much more compatible with shorter/faster runs. I'm still silly enough to think that I can continue marathon training, and improve my 5k times. There is some pay-off, but I'm sure its not the fastest way to improve.

A lot of my friends who used to run, have gone over to cycling. I'd like to join them for some of their rides, but at the moment I'll plod on with the running.

My best run this week was a 10k with my son; we clocked 52:52. He can run faster but not consistently, and relies on the treadmill for his pace.

Keep in touch. Let us how you're doing, from time to time.        Michael.

• Hi Guys

Since I last contributed, RW has changed the online format and it took me some time time to find you again.

My update is that I am ticking along and able to do what I want - mainly compete at orienteering and do standard running in between. The orienteering is going ok and my times are satifactory without being fantastic. My running needs to go up a gear - ie I need to do more interval work - if I want to ran at a faster pace,whether it is recovery or speed endurance. So it's the usual story - if you want to improve (even at my age..!), you have to put a bit of work in.

The upshot is that I will be working on the above as the weather gets warmer. I have just returned at the end of last week from an orienteering competition in Portugal, where I did 6 events in 5 days. I noticed that I could keep going but I needed more speed over the flat and more strength to maintain running on the hills. After two days sightseeing in Lisbon, I competed again on both days of last weekend. I shall recover today and do a session in the gym tomorrow which will include some treadmill, weights and cross trainer work, completed by stretching.

It would be great to be able run quickly again ( for me that would mean now under 25 mins for 5k - compared with under 17 mins 30 years ago..) and still feel comfortable, but if I'm honest, I'm not optimistic it's going to happen. I'll report back when I have put some more work in and there is data to report.

On the heart front, I have concluded that I need regular exercise to maintain a decent resting pulse (for me between 42 and 46), otherwise it seems to drop a bit, and I notice that my ankles can get a bit puffy, which is a sign of heart inefficiency (I have a minor leak in the mitral valve), if I don't keep up the exercise. But in general I no longer have dizzy spells. In two weeks it will be the first anniversary of my catheter ablation, and I am very grateful for what it has enabled me to do.

Hope all is well with you all.

Howard
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Howard, Good to see that you've been active! I was looking for a legitimate reason to add something on here, just to demonstrate that I have been able to navigate this new format. (which I think is no improvement...but perhaps it's related to 'old dogs and new tricks...?) 
    Happy anniversary! and pleased to see the progress that you have been making, and can continue to make. For me, it is 2years and 4months since my ablation, and I can only report good things. Basically it is down to me; if I'm prepared to put the work in, then I can still see results. By 'results' I mean that I can maintain my age-grading.(around 70%)
    That orienteering in Portugal sounds challenging. One day I'd like to go back to Lisbon, and run the marathon. It probably wont be this year.
    Looking back I see that this thread has been quiet since November. Since then I have run a decent 10k (51:47 on Boxing Day). Came back from Seville two weeks ago, after running the marathon in 4hrs 06mins, which is my best time since pre-AF. Still thinking that I could get down to 4hrs again...? Parkruns have been just a snapshot of where I am, and not an all-out effort to improve. So my recent times (three weeks before Seville and one week after) have been spot on 26 mins. 
    Up-coming events are a local Half marathon on 2ndApril (Bournemouth Bay Run) and the Vienna marathon on the 23rdApril. Together with my wife I've taken up membership at the local leisure centre. I have been doing quite a bit of swimming, and also gym work to strengthen upper body and core. As I've already said, I'm thankful for every day, and even more thankful that I have a good measure of health and strength, but I know that if I don't keep up the effort then decline could quickly set in. 
    This morning I was at the track, running 6 x 5minute kms with 200m/90sec recoveries. Hard work but great conditions. Looking forward to some warmer days.
    Keep in touch, and hope to have some up-dates from some of the others. Michael.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Good to see that you're continuing to make progress Michael.

I had a bit of a scare last night. 

I felt a bit rough when I went to bed and when I checked my pulse thought that I'd gone back into A-Fib. After a night of very restless sleep I checked it again and everything seems normal, but now I don't know if I was imagining it, or if it resolved itself overnight.

I would present myself to A&E, but don't know if there's anything that they could do and it would cost me €100.

I think that I'll take it easy today and go and see the occupational nurse in work tomorrow. At least that way it won't cost me anything.

It's been a little over a year since my op and I've had no other signs until now. I'm not really overdoing it, but am stepping up my training a little. I did a gentle & flat 9 mile run yesterday which would be one of the longest distances I've ran post op. At the end of the run I felt great and could have gone on for longer, but was time constrained.

I had had a couple of strong coffees during the day and 2x 'home measure' G&Ts in the evening.

I had planned to do my first race in 18 months next weekend (a local H/M), but I'd say that I'll be marshalling it instead now.

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Redjeep, Good to hear from you again. Glad that you are still able to work towards a HM, but I think you're right to give next week's a miss as you are only just up to an easy 9. Marshalling is not a substitute, but it's good to be involved. I volunteered at Parkrun on Saturday, as it was a rest day for me having done an 18' on the Friday.
    Hope that your 'scare' is nothing to worry about, but good to follow it up if you are concerned.
    Take it easy, and I look forward to reading your HM report soon! Michael.
  • Thanks for this thread MrM2, it's been really encouraging to read back over this and see your progress and how well you seem to have recovered. I'm a 35-year-old that was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter last October after fainting when I got home from a club run and then (stupidly), after just thinking I'd caught some bug or something doing a 13.5 mile fell race 3 days later where I ended up walking most of it while my heart rate was shooting up to 255bpm.

Looking back, I think I suffered from sporadic bouts of AF for a couple of years; I've had the odd race where I've just absolutely blown up with no obvious reason and for almost all of 2015 I wasn't getting the times I used to and felt like something was "not right", but couldn't put my finger on what it was. Since I wasn't in the habit of wearing my HRM at this time, I didn't realise it was probably my heart rate that was going crazy. The issue only came to light when I went to the GP after the above mentioned fell race and was admitted to hospital.

I had ablation just over 3 weeks ago which seemed to go well. On the doctor's advice I took 2 weeks off running completely. In the week since I started running again I've gradually worked back up to a 25 min 5k (I'd have been looking at <20 mins before the flutter started). I'm just paranoid about doing too much too soon since my consultant told me there was a risk of afib or other arrythmias if I pushed it too much in the weeks after the procedure. Touch wood everything seems to be going fine, my heart rate is rock solid at 150bpm when I've been out on my short and slow runs this week.

Been very interesting to read about your recovery, you seem to have pushed on quite a bit more than me after the procedure
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    David, Welcome. Glad that you found this thread and that it has been helpful. Good that you are already feeling your way back. Yes; take it easy, and monitor your h.r.. I built up gradually for over almost two months, following my Ablation, and then did a cautious 10k. Most of those who have joined in on this thread have been quite a lot older than yourself, and they haven't all made the same recovery. Everyone's story is a little bit different. Hope that you eventually get back to where you were, pre-AF.

I'm really thankful for my recovery and continued ability to push myself (it's all relative!). So, 7 weeks ago I ran the Seville marathon in 4:06, Last week-end it was the Bournemouth Bay half marathon (1:57), and yesterday my parkrun time was 25:23, with an age-grading of over 71%; one of my best this year. This morning I ran an easy 12' with one of my daughters, and now I need to do some serious tapering in preparation for the Vienna marathon in two weeks' time. Drop in from time to time, and let us know how you are getting on. All the best. Michael.
  • Those are really impressive times! I don't want to take it for granted that I'll be able to get back to pre-AF levels, but it's reassuring to see you running at that level. I'll certainly drop by this thread again and update you with how my recovery is going, I found reading through other peoples' experiences in this thread helped with a lot of questions that I had
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Michael - well done that's a great time. It's really encouraging to see how well you're doing. I seem to be the only person on this thread that's been banned from running any more marathons. :-( 

David - keep us informed how you're getting on. Sorry you got this so young.

I'm still going through a bit of a rocky patch, but still can't decide if it's all in my head. I'm running 3 or 4 times a week anywhere between 6 and 10 miles and generally feel okay afterwards, but occasionally feel that my heart 'just doesn't feel right'. I still can't pin it down as whenever I think that it's racing it's okay when I check it.

I have an appointment in a week with the original specialist who diagnosed me and have also bought a small ECG monitor so that I can check myself. The reason behind buying it is just so that I can check it when I think it's feeling odd and then send the traces to the Doc.

Otherwise I just think that it'll be a case of never being clear as there'll always be the possibility that it's not being captured whenever I'm being monitored.

The engineer in me is trying to devise a testing regime during a run to see if anything abnormal is happening when i stress it.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Redjeep. Let us know if there is any progress after your consultation. Glad that you can keep up with some running, but it must be unsettling to feel that all is not right with the heart during your runs. Hope that your self-testing will give some clear evidence, if anything is wrong.
    Returned from Vienna two days ago. The marathon (my 30th) was a great experience, but my second half was almost eight minutes slower than the first. (Will have to take the training more seriously! and get in a few more longer runs for the next one.) Well over 6000 finishers, and I was 3rd out of the 16 in the 70+ age band. Chip time was 4:10, so a little slower than Seville. But every day is a good day, and I'm so thankful to be able to keep up with the running. Vienna was quite cold and windy... much the same as here.
    No further races in the diary yet, but feel that I should just concentrate on a good variety of training, with a focus on some shorter, faster efforts, with the aim of improving my 5k times in the shorter term.
    Are you still competing over shorter distances? Let us know how you get on. Michael.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Thanks Michael, and well done on your 30'th marathon. That's a really great time and well done on your age grouping.

I saw the consultant on Tuesday and he believes that I probably didn't go back into Ab fib, but thinks that I'm getting occasional additional beats which he said are fairly normal and nothing to worry about. He said it's commonly misdiagnosed as Ab Fib by GPs. His only concern was that it could occasionally be a precurser to Ab Fib.

He thought that the mini ECG was a good idea (he was about to suggest I get one, when I interrupted and told him I'd just bought one) and that I should check my heart when I feel it's abnormal and send him the traces. He also gave me a prescription for some more of the Flec so that I can take one if I go irregular.   

I'm feeling happier about my heart, but as chance would have it my left achilles tendon is playing up a bit through overuse, so I'm off the road for another few days.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Redjeep, That sounds more positive. Hope the injury doesn't hang around for too long. My legs are slowly 'coming back' and I've managed a couple of recovery runs this week, including 3 miles on the track before volunteering at my local Parkrun this morning. There is usually something that you can do while you're recovering, and I'm sure that you have had to engage in those things to keep your mind on an even keel. All the best, and enjoy the warmer days (?)...I think they are coming.     Michael.
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Hi Michael, just though that I'd check back in, but am a bit worried I'll be ask to leave on the grounds that I can't really call myself a runner anymore.

My achilles is still quite painful, it does feel like it's getting better but it's been really slow. Because of that, I haven't ran a step since mid April. In the meantime I've been on my bike, but not nearly enough, partly because I changed my job in December and am now living away from home and don't really have space for a bike in my new digs. However I ordered a bike bag today and hope that I can keep it in that in a spare room when I'm not using it.

I'm also now living by the sea Monday to Friday and have started sailing again, which I'm enjoying, but I don't want it to replace running.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Redjeep...Good to hear from you again. Sorry about your slow recovery; hopefully some easy running is not too far away. Hope that you will be able to make use of the bike. My sailing has not really gone much beyond Mirror dinghy in Christchurch harbour. But it is something that I'd like to do more of. As you say, not to replace running.

My running is going steady, without too much to write about. Most recent Parkrun, a couple of weeks ago, took me 25:44, and I'd like to better that this week. Will have to see if I'm really up to it; had a tooth extraction this morning, and I'm still on pain killers. Managed to get out early, before the dental appointment, and run a comfortable 11 miles along the seafront in glorious conditions. Next event is only 8 days away; Purbeck 10k. Took me just under 54 minutes two years ago. It's a great route on a summer's evening; slightly undulating but traffic free. Always well contested by local clubs. Keep us posted. All the best for your recovery. Enjoy the summer. 
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Well, just to check in again. I've managed to get out for a few runs, but my Achilles is still fairly painful. I've had it a couple of times before and it cleared up much quicker than this time.

Good to see that you're getting out.

I've now brought my bike down to my new workplace and have been getting out frequently. I even managed to do 80km one evening after work along a local cycle path.

The sailings also going well. I've been cruiser racing at least once a week this summer and am taking a few dinghy lessons to hone up my helming skills.

My eldest son is keen to learn to sail and so I think it's inevitable that I'll end up buying another boat sooner or later...

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Redjeep, Good to hear from you again. Great that you are able to keep up with some running, and impressed with your diverse activities. The Purbeck 10k (undulating) went OK (55:17); just over a minute slower than two years ago. Parkrun seems to have stagnated at just over 26 minutes, but I am building up on distance in preparation for the Thames Meander Marathon next month. Weekly mileage is mid-thirties, with last two long runs of 17 and 18. Planning to stretch it to 20 for the next two weeks. 
    Well over two years and eight months since my heart procedure, and so far I've had no issues. Got to be thankful for that. My wife asked me if I'd had a good run last evening when I came in soaked from a six mile run in the wind and rain. Of course it was a good run. If I can still go out and run a steady six miles (56 mins.) at my age, I know that life is good. 
    We had family with us at the week-end, and grandson (14) wanted to do another run with me. Don't ask me who got to the top of the hills first (!) but he was pleased that by the time we got home we'd done a total of six miles; well broken up but included one in 8 mins..  
    All the best with your running, cycling and sailing! 
  • Hi Michael, good to hear that you're still getting out and the marathons seem to be going well. I'm feeling a bit down at the moment as my Facebook feed is plastered with pictures from the Marathon du Medoc which is happening today and I realise that I'll never get to do it again. :-(

I also finally went to see a doctor about my ankle which is still too sore to run on. It wasn't my usual doctor, but he told me that I had fallen arches (which I've had for years) and that I need orthotics. I've used insoles occasionally before when my Achilles was hurting, so I should have thought of that.

He also told me that I shouldn't really be running at my age (I was 53 last week). His logic was that everybody who runs past 50 is somebody who is stick thin and has ran all their lives. I won't be listening to that advice.
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Redjeep, Thanks for dropping in again. Hope that you can get the ankle problem sorted out soon. It is frustrating when you get advice from someone you would want to trust, and it is so obviously bad advice; prejudiced or ill-advised. Out of interest I looked up the results page from today's North Beach Parkrun, in Durban, South Africa, earlier today. (I ran there last year.) Almost 2000 runners, and many in their 70s, and a few in their 80s! At 50 I was only a couple of years into my running, and at 73 I'm still looking forward to another decade (?) Having said that, I've been having a bit of foot/ankle discomfort in recent weeks. It didn't stop me from running the Thames Meander Marathon four weeks ago (4:17) although it was slower than I had hoped. And I'm not expecting much better tomorrow at the New Forest Marathon. Any way, enough from me. I'll report back next week, and will look forward to hearing how you progress.