Trump

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Looks as if the Republicans have pulled the ACA repeal and new health care act after failing to reach an agreement with all sides of the party. Probably the best outcome. The president will more than likely have an enormous public spat with ultra conservatives in Congress - analogous to the recent Twitter fight between Piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins wherein the only real victory would be if both sides simultaneously got a massive electric shock from their devices and fell into a lake of shit. Incidentally lakes of shit are back on the agenda in the US following recent environmental legislation repeals. So Obamacare remains for now, albeit the red states will be doing their best to make it as dysfunctional as possible. Trump has stated he want's to bin healthcare (an area about which he clearly gave not even the briefest toss outside of the sloganeering) and focus on tax reform. Let the serious money-grubbing begin.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well it's another day of his presidency out of the way.
    How many more to survive and endure?

🙂

• QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    I will probably always remember being in Baltimore and, being relatively able to set my own hours, just watching what seemed like sheer terror unfold for 4 hours a day. Almost panic attacks in the first few weeks of the presidency. That was not sustainable. I marched, etc. I can vouch for the size of the Women's March, if not the inauguration. But I'm a British citizen, so I left it to my partner to call her representatives. Although, there's not much to influence when you live in a blue state.

So, if anything, Trump helped me run more miles.
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    I don't have anything interesting to say about the missiles in Syria, other than that I broadly disapprove.

The question I wanted to ask was: Did anyone boycott New Balance or any other company in light of support for Trump?
  • I must have missed NB ?  I didn't go into the Under Armour shop this week anyway as I did hear they backed him.  Please tell me it's not true about NB ?
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-balance-under-fire-for-taking-political-stance/

I think it's more complicated than NB just being bad, but it asks the question "How much do you ignore your moral compass when pursuing particular (arguably good) outcomes for your company and workers?"

With UA, I never really liked their products to begin with, so blowing my trumpet about not buying from them seemed silly.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Re. the Syria bombing, it's a strange situation to be bombing both sides of a civil conflict. I've no real basis to be critical of a restrained military response to Assad's use of chemical weapons. It's a clear sharp warning not to do it again. Trump's considered reaction is a puzzler as it contradicts his usual rhetoric, reactions and temperament. There are no doubt some cynical factors and pressures at play that lead to this particular response. It's good that he hasn't done something really stupid, but it does worry me that he's got such overwhelming praise at home for flexing US military might. How he will interpret that praise? What lesson has he just learned? It feels like rewarding a very ill disciplined dog for biting.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    I was looking at buying new shoes today and the ones he suggested were New Balance!  I sat there thinking 'do I tell him that I'm boycotting them' :open_mouth:

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I find nowadays when I wear NB shoes I get an overwhelming urge to kick a liberal.
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    > @JT141 said:
    > I find nowadays when I wear NB shoes I get an overwhelming urge to kick a liberal.

Where do you find yourself on the political spectrum? If I'm being pedantic, most everyone who votes in a US election is a liberal of some kind. So you'll be kicking a lot and get through the shoes pretty quickly. But I'm not feeling particularly pedantic today. Honestly, I can find things like boycotts insufferable in terms of making everything about consumption or misdirecting the energy of political dissatisfaction into somewhat trivial matters. However, I would say it's useful as part of a wider movement to not allow someone like Trump to be normalised.

Going back to the bombing of Syria, I find that I have a kneejerk negative reaction to any decision he makes as he seems to have no ability to reason. I will admit that throwing everything at the wall will yield some positive results occasionally. Though, adding the MOAB into the picture, he just seems to be flexing for his base or just simply believes that shows of strength are what the USA 'does'.

I kind of wish I had the time at the moment to follow more news, but life...
  • Chris2304Chris2304 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Foreign affairs is one of the few areas where a US president has direct power. Domestically there are far more checks & balances on executive power. In this respect, Trump's sudden appetite for military action can be viewed as a reaction to his inability to get stuff done domestically.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    He's struggling to get funding approved for his tremendous huge bigly wall, you know the one the Mexicans are paying for!  Threatening to shut government down  :/
  • Oh man ! This Presidenty Thing  is harder than it looks isn't it ? Who knew ?
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    It's like healthcare, who knew it was complicated, very complicated ...

• He is so fucking crazy/stupid/up his own arse/out of touch he thinks that at least two of the dead are alive - Frederick Douglass and Luciano Pavarotti. He's even deluded enough to think Pavarotti is his friend.

He needs bars on his bedroom window. 
  • Not to mention his mouth.
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    He is so fucking crazy/stupid/up his own arse/out of touch he thinks that at least two of the dead are alive - Frederick Douglass and Luciano Pavarotti. He's even deluded enough to think Pavarotti is his friend.

He needs bars on his bedroom window. 
    BIB  What??

Apparently when he met an army guy who had lost a leg in combat he said "tremendous - congratulations"  :o
  • Doesn't surprise me TopSec. He pretty much has the intellectual development of an 8 year old.

I would LOVE to know what the father/son dynamic was in the Trump household...
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I imagine it was "Donald, I am your father".

🙂

• edited May 2017
    It is a linky thing, although it doesn't look like one on my screen
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    I dropped in to say: I wish politics was boring again.
  • Qrszx said:
    I dropped in to say: I wish politics was boring again.
    Bring back John Major!
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Comey putting the boot in to the orange man-baby. Odds of impeachment before end of his first term are currently evens at three bookies.
  • QrszxQrszx ✭✭
    > @Mr Worry said:
    > Qrszx said:
    >
    >
    > I dropped in to say: I wish politics was boring again.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Bring back John Major!

Not the kind of boring I was hoping for! I forget who said it, but someone pointed out that for a while the biggest political issue in the UK was the Millennium Dome!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Republicans win the house seat in a special election in Georgia. It was a pretty negative campaign, demonising Trump on the one side and Nancy Pelosi on the other. Begs the question what do the Democrats have to do to win in some areas of the US? And what do the Republicans have to do not to win?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    So building the wall higher will make the solar panels more effective, will it?  Just how high are you planning for it to be?  3 miles?
  • "Trumpism" is clearly not a political movement, it is a personality cult. His followers are becoming increasingly deluded, irrational and out of touch. Much like their leader, in fact.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    It's a dissonant combination of profound gullibility, neurosis and aggressive scepticism that the Trump/Republican support display. I'm not sure a healthy democracy can be maintained with an infected electorate.
    Meanwhile Trump's twitter feed, sort of a fevered Russian bot wanking out Fox News listings, reveals there are no Comey tapes.