The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone on the miles, some great numbers and races! 

I've not been around for a little bit as my slow running has been made even slower with injury. Thought a hamstring was being funny pre-Tough Mudder, so I had a over a week off for that and now I've managed to pull a muscle in my back. So no running for me for another couple of weeks :( I've got just over 258 miles so far. Not sure I'll get that 1000 miles done this year, but hey, I can always try again in 2018!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I also went out late yesterday to get my miles in (9pm in fact). 4.5 miles to round the week off at 20 miles, and 422.5 YTD
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    :senidM said:
    Slowly getting back into it, Steeple Bumstead 10K to day, but too, too hot, I really struggle in hot weather.

Man Vs Horse sounds fun Hobie, heard of Man V Train, not so sure about the horse bit, but lots of mud sounds fun.

YTD:       544.74

SenidM, Have a look at YouTube for Man v Horse, it's a brilliant race 23ish miles over hills in Mid Wales...so glad we did it in the rain & not this heat...that would be grim.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    402.8 miles

4 very sweaty treadmill miles tonight!
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Total up to 410.8 miles. 
  • Still recovering from the dodgy back and heat after 12.10 miles yesterday.
    YTD = 1377.04 miles
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4 very hot and sweaty road miles last night. Up to 426.5 YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    5 slightly less sweaty road mile last night! 431.5 YTD
  • Just 12 miles last night - nice breeze for a change
    YTD = 1389.04 miles
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Well done on the MvH Hobie, sounds great!
    SenidM, I do not function at all in heat so had Sunday off as Mrs JR nabbed the early run slot. Sunday through to Tuesday I saw no benefit in running in that heat so cycled instead. Went out later on Wednesday evening and even then it was deceptively warm for 5 miles. A much cooler 3 miles with Mrs JR after work today. parkrun and a longer Sunday run planned for a first football free weekend for an age.

June - 40.5

2017 - 431.44

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    JR - we appear to be almost exactly level pegging!
  • Will be joining you two as got 50 miles planned for the weekend
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Andrew, we can push each other along! 

Much better running conditions now.  Short warm up plus parkrun this morning in 25:16, although that's just over 2 minutes slower than pb it is my fastest this year and has given me some encouragement as I felt pretty steady all the way. Had a good duel with a fellow runner half my age and was chuffed to out sprint them at the finish.

June - 43.6

2017 - 434.54
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Early morning run with Mrs JR in lovely cool conditions. 10.72 miles done before breakfast.

June - 54.32

2017 - 445.26
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4 miles on Friday, followed by a 5k race today. Total YTD 440.5
  • Did 15km (9.3 miles) on Saturday morning including Parkrun and Midnight Marathon in the evening - at a slightly faster pace.
    Did 19.47km (12.1 miles) as recovery run earlier today. 
    Yes, I failed in doing the planned 50 miles over the weekend as the above only adds to 47.64 miles. Anyway, 
    YTD = 1436.77 miles
    So I am only about 4 miles behind AndrewD and less than 10 miles behind JustRun.
    Heard we will be hearing from Little Nell soon.
    Oh, and my back is not killing me anymore - yet
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Coo-eee!!! (as billed by Harmander above   :)  )

Hello again lovely peeps... it's so kind of the folks that asked after me - mad busy work travel has ended for the time being.

Well done to all the fantastic regulars who're still going strong... some highlights:
    Congrats Donnie on running outside,
    Great mile time Nick W2,
    That is the most fantastic "bling" there JR - nice!
    Brilliant marathon laps effort David,
    senidM - hope you had a nice Tuscan sojourn and glad you found your way in the end (I too have an epic getting lost while running story to tell...)
    I'm very impressed indeed by Man v Horse Hobie - well done!
    Your consistent running Andrew is really good news and nice 2K time trial too,
    ... and fantastic (and insane) mileage by you there Harmander!

I managed scant running while slogging around the globe - but some did get done as follows: 5.73 mi, 4.05 mi, 13.11 mi (Chester HM in 1:45:57), 4.82 mi, 6.28 mi, 6.61 mi, 15.10 mi, 2.20 mi, 12.42 mi (there's a story about this one!), 4.28 mi, 5.01 mi, 8.07 mi.

Was intending to run tonight but have come back ill after all the flights (most recently 10 flights in 21 days) - so I'll be back on it tomorrow, I hope!

YTD: 622.07 miles :D 

• Will just separately tell my "getting lost while running" story (apologies this is loooonnnngggg)...

I was in Indianapolis for a conference and decided to fit in a five-mile run (in 28 degrees C temp!). I had what I thought was a fool-proof plan where I would follow the main river - keeping the river on my left - for 2.5 miles to a bridge, cross over to the other side - still keeping the river on my left, and run 2.5 miles back to the hotel... what could possibly go wrong!?

I set off running well despite the heat and eventually crossed over the water - although it seemed like more than 2.5 miles... the hotel did not appear in the time I would have expected and I was getting concerned so I stopped and asked some people fishing (and saw a HUGE water snake!). They gave me directions but after a few minutes my spidey-sense was telling me they'd sent me in the wrong direction. At this point I was in a very rough neighbourhood with lots of male "youths" driving around in open-top cars (with me in some small running shorts and a little t-shirt) so I looped back to a park and headed in that direction instead... but I started to doubt myself and my sense of direction.

There were lots of baseball games going on and big groups of people around, so I stopped and tried to ask for help... but they were all Latin American and spoke little or no English (and my Spanish is non-existent) so I couldn't find any help. Eventually, a woman tried to help me and was indicating I should go straight down a nearby road - but, again, I felt strongly it was the wrong way so I asked if she had a GPS... we looked at Google Maps on her phone and saw that it was 180 degrees in the wrong direction (I should say, I never run with my phone as I'm worried about it being a reason to mug me). I memorised the way back, thanked her profusely, and headed back.

Turns out I had not noticed on the map that the main river had a tributary and it was that I had crossed over - so I was still running away from the hotel rather than back to the hotel! My 5 miles turned into 12.5 miles and I have ridiculous tan lines part way down my thighs (LOL!). I have never been so scared while running... ever!!! I was really not sure how I was going to find my way back. The worst part was I had jokingly said to my colleague I'll be about 45 mins (at 3:30 pm) but if I'm not back by 6:00 pm send out a search party... it was 6:05 pm when I eventually got back to the hotel and very close to her calling out the police!!! :worried:

SORRY! about the huge post ... but it's a lesson learned - I will now carry my phone at all times! :smiley:
  • Morning all,

So yet another week passes and now the nights are drawings in!!

Another good week for me, I managed to get out either very early or late in the evening to avoid the heat, however it was still very warm.

Little Nell, Lovely to have you back, sounds like you had fun and glad you finally made it back to the hotel!
    Harmander, Some great running over the weekend, Midnight marathon sounds like fun, where did it take place, I assume in town?

Stat's for last week:

20.06.17 - 9.37
    22.06.17 - 5.62
    23.06.17 - 4.37
    25.06.17 - 6.25

YTD= 544.71

Next week I will be doing marathon No 2 (Day 8 of the Great Barrow 10 in 10) it is a road marathon set in and around the village, so should be enjoyable.

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Nell, and sounds like a run you were glad to reach the end of. (bad syntax I know but wotever)

I had a business trip to the States once, back when I was a high-flying banker (?), but I never had the nerve to run outside the hotel for fear of summat similar as happened to you, so hit the dreadmill every morning for 2 weeks - came back a minute a mile slower, I don't like those machines. :(
  • David Charman,
    It is near Darford Tunnel and the Queen Elizabeth Bridge - see link below.
    & and 1/2 laps of an industrial Estate actually close to some sewage works and South of the River (Thames). 
    It is the second year I did it and was nearly tirty minutes faster (5:19: 00 last year, 4:49:51 this year)
    Very nice people organising it and very flat course - would recommend it.
    Starts at 7pm 

http://www.bridgetriathlon.co.uk/midnight-marathon/ 
  • Apart from Chicago, I never enjoyed running on the streets in the USA.
    New York terrible,
    Washington only a little better.
    Now Canada (apart from Quebec - French influence perhaps as I didn't like Paris runs in the past) - couldn't be better - Toronto in particular
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    421.8 miles

Away with friends to North Norfolk the weekend just gone and completed the Sherringham parkrun. Not sure if anyone on here is from that that way out, if so its an event I'd recommend. Beautiful course, trails and countryside rather than the more usual urban park event I take part in, complete with site of the sea and the Holt to Sherringham stream train line. Enjoyed it. 

• 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    I'm up for this. I'm doing a 1992km challenge between march last year and end of this year. But I reckon i might just hit this target too if I remain uninjured
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Howdy pardners!

Thanks David and senidM!

Best of luck for your upcoming second marathon, David... it's very soon since your last one - you're very keen :smiley:

senidM - I did one dreadmill run in Indianapolis but it was so awful it persuaded me to go outside... it would have been fine if I'd looked more closely at Google Maps - it was my own fault  :|

That parkrun sounds lovely, Donnie - it's great that you're running outside more now :)

Welcome 1992km *waves* What's your current YTD total?

Don't normally run on a Monday but I'm short of miles so I walked to Pilates, did an hour of Pilates then ran home: 3.53 miles. Harmander... FYI - average pace was 8:50/mi. - ta daa!!! :D

YTD: 625.60 miles.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Welcome back Nell.

Looking like it is going to be a frustrating week running wise for me. Due to other commitments my usual Wednesday night slot is unavailable, so I was looking at squeezing something in tonight but the forecast here is for heavy rain. May be able to get something in tomorrow very early, but only if our daughter is able to sleep through and therefore allow us to sleep rather than being awake half the night teething like she was last night (poor thing) and so long as the rain has stopped by 7am! Even if I do get out, it will probably be for a shorter one than planned due to time constraints before work.

Was hoping to get passed 450 by the end of June, but it may now be touch and go!

440.5 YTD, still!

• Morning all,

Thank you for the link Harmander, looks like an interesting run, great time by the way

Nell, I have 5 planned marathons before the end of the year, I really enjoyed the first one, just had tight calf's towards the end otherwise might have got under the 4 hours, still 4 more chances.

On another note, I was reading last week on one of the running groups I follow about a chap who looked happy with himself as he had managed to get into the 100 marathon club, so what I here you say - his 1st marathon was mid January (Nutter)

Right back to work I suppose.
  • AndrewD,
    I know the feeling, my grandson who turned 1 two weeks ago is keeping us all awake - my son (his dad is having to sleep in another bedroom).
    Another 12.1 miles today, making
    YTD = 1448.87 miles
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Some great mileages being logged here, I'm 8 miles short of 600 so might be a trip out tonight.

Nell, glad you survived your random trip to the states, I used to go over there to various places & always had a wee bit on nerves when going out. Weirdly I love getting lost on a run in this country :-) 

• Hobie1495,
    #Er Indoors often tells me to 'Get Lost' - this is usually when I want her to be nice to me. lol